Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Ranma's instrument

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 pm

He seems fine with weapons, to me... <_<
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 pm

While he's certainly skilled in their use and does use them from time to time, I'm pretty sure that at multiple points in the canon Ranma states that he prefers to fight unarmed.

Kodachi, on the other hand, uses clubs already, though steel ball bearings are a significant step down from poisonous spikes.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Well, weapons are often used to cause more damage than the body alone can deliver. Or they simply aim to kill. So it makes sense that he prefers to use them when they're needed.

The ball bearings aren't a significant step down from poisonous spikes. ;/ Do you think the usual contents would be heard inside of them? They're made of steel since normal maracas would be quite vulnerable if Ranma were to get into a fight. They wouldn't be any worse than the chúi (A certain wookie comes to mind) that Shampoo used.

*I slap my hand over my face*

I don't even know why I'm arguing about such a thing. Ah, well. At least bed time has finally arrived. I hate staying up. ;/
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm pretty sure that at multiple points in the canon Ranma states that he prefers to fight unarmed.

He never states that; at least in the manga. He also uses weapons a lot and never derided their use (its not time to time, it is dozens of times in the manga). The only time he said anything that can be construed to be disparaging about them is while practicing rhythmic gymnastics and in that case he was not upset about having to use weapons, he did not like the limitation, he wanted to be able to kick and punch as well as use weapons. The thing is Ranma generally prefers to improvise weapons than carry them with him (though he has carried them with him on occasion, for example was carrying a blow dart in his pocket or the staves used in the last volume).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Shanami » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 pm

I have to say, the use of Tatewaki as a weapon in the gymnastics tournament is probably my favorite single moment in the manga that I've read (I've made it through the anime, but not the entire manga series).
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby kurushi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:58 am

What about drums? It strikes me that the variety and interchangability of percussion instruments really suits someone on the road; there will always be something to slap or whack, whether hollow or not. It would certainly be suited to an "anything goes" ideology.

That, and it is quite possible that as part of his training Ranma could have run into or visited a taiko training centre. I know of at least one that is located in a traditional house in the country. The students dedicate their lives to learning the drums, and live in relative isolation for years. They train their bodies to be stronger and resilient as they learn the motions and rhythms for all the various sizes and shapes of drum. It is about dedication, focus, tradition; quite similar to many of the martial arts Ranma would have encountered.

That, and drumming is awesome fun ^_^
kurushi
Senshi Candidate

Postby Konsaki » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 am

Man, the Japanese drumming groups are amazing to witness! The rythems they produce and the reverbs in your chest are mindblowing!
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Shanami wrote:I'm sure Mousse carries around a large organ and the rest of an orchestra around in his socks for use as a last ditch defensive weapon.

Somehow I see him with a Hammond B3 or a Fender Jazz Bass.
"You can not treat a car like a human! A car needs love!" (W. Röhrl)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm sure he's got three or four of those too. I figure Mousse carries at least 3-4 tons of traditional weaponry, which leaves at least 20 tons worth of funny stuff and 5 tons of training potty's on his person at any given point in time.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

I was just looking through the Ranma art book and Takahashi has a page of the characters playing instruments. Female form Ranma appears to be playing a stringed instrument (possibly a Biwa, I'm not really that good at distinguishing instruments, particularly ones from other cultures besides my own). Male Ranma is playing a percussion instrument of some kind (possibly a tsuri-daiko).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm

IDEAS TO TOSS OUT, THE STEEL DRUMS FROM THE CRIBBIAN, SOMETHING WEIRD FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER, A GIANT GOTHIC PIPE ORGAN JUST SOUNDS COOL THOUGH, THE BANGO SOUNDS FUN, HOW ABOUT PLAYING THE KITCHEN...I KNOW BUT THERE WAS A GROUP ON ONE OF THE TALK SHOWS YEAR AGO THAT PLAYED THE DRAWS, CABNIETS, AND EVERTYTHING ELSE TO MAKE NOISE AND IT WORKED THOUGH...TALK ABOUT ANYTHING GOES MUSIC STYLE THOUGH....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

ckosacranoid wrote:IDEAS TO TOSS OUT, THE STEEL DRUMS FROM THE CRIBBIAN, SOMETHING WEIRD FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER, A GIANT GOTHIC PIPE ORGAN JUST SOUNDS COOL THOUGH, THE BANGO SOUNDS FUN, HOW ABOUT PLAYING THE KITCHEN...I KNOW BUT THERE WAS A GROUP ON ONE OF THE TALK SHOWS YEAR AGO THAT PLAYED THE DRAWS, CABNIETS, AND EVERTYTHING ELSE TO MAKE NOISE AND IT WORKED THOUGH...TALK ABOUT ANYTHING GOES MUSIC STYLE THOUGH....

Quit shouting! :x
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 am

If Ranma had to have a manly instrument, I can just see him with bagpipes, in full kit. Although going regimental might cause some problems. The fact that they are LOUD and intimidating would probably appeal to him as well. Let them know he's approaching.

The fact they are often described as sounding like unspeakable things being done to cats, has absolutely nothing to do with their appeal to him. Nope, not one bit. :wink: Did I mention it has nothing to do with it? I did. Good.
Chief Book and Wottlecasher of the Principality of Vhrool
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby DBHay » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Wah Lum kung fu.

Also called Fatal flute, a kung fu style using staff and short stick.

The flute is used as a short fighting stick because it's obviously not a weapon so you can't be arrested for carrying it.

I can see Ranma picking up this style on his travels in China.

Daniel. The bagpipes make the most beautiful music in the world! :wink:

DBHay
DBHay
Senshi Candidate

Postby truedemonicfire » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:38 am

Ranma could pick any number of instruments. A simple flute (not a silver one for professional floutists) for the fact that Ranma did travel a lot and they can be made durable. He can get a string instrument because of manual dexterity. I can't believe no one thought of Ranma utilizing vocals. He wouldn't have to worry the instrument breaking, because he is the instrument.
truedemonicfire
Senshi Candidate

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma