Learning Japanese

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Learning Japanese

Postby Darkbane848 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Anyone here learning Japanese?

I need a break from reading\playing games, so I've decided to concentrate a bit more on learning Japanese. Because of that I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good programs\games\websites to help in learning japanese vocabulary\kanji. Software that can be used on a mobile\smartphone (not iphone) would be especially appreciated.

I already know of Slime Forest, Knuckels in Chinaland, smart.fm and Human Japanese.

Thanks everyone.
Darkbane848
Senshi Cadet

Re: Learning Japanese

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

I want to learn. And I even found software that has won awards and even gets praise from the UN. http://www.rosettastone.com/ Problem it's a long way outside of my price range.

Edit: The price has even come down! I wish I had $540 http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-japanese
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Darkbane848 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Right. Forgot about Rosetta. I've tried it,and actually have a copy of it somewhere on my computer. But while it is a good program, it's not really what I'm looking for at the moment. To truly get the most out of Rosetta you need a lot more commitment to it than I'm presently willing to. Every session session should last at least 30 - 60 minutes, and you should have at least one session every day with it.

Instead of 30 - 60 minutes at once I would rather have 10 - 15 minutes 2 - 3 times a day. plus, that lets me get in a quick study session while at work too, something that is definitely impossible with Rosetta.
Darkbane848
Senshi Cadet

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:49 pm

Try Power Japanese it is less expensive, and seems to require 15-20 minute sessions.
Chief Book and Wottlecasher of the Principality of Vhrool
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Around 3-4 years ago my mom got me some CDs from Barnes and Noble, since I was interested in learning some Japanese at the time (I forget what they were called, but I know it wasn't the Rosetta Stone ones) to help me better understand what I was watching. If memory serves, each CD had two tracks, both around 25 minutes long or so.

For some reason, I never got around to moving past the first CD; I still have 'em, but I haven't gotten them back out since. Lethargy triumphed over me again.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:40 pm

You need stuff to compensate for the disinterest and short attention span that results.

It's not that one doesn't want to learn and is thus, disinterested... it's that the learning method is not engaging.

Someone could make a BOATLOAD of cash if they made a program for learning Japanese that engaged the Otaku mindset.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm

More than likely. I know of at least one website that discussed the meaning of some of the words and expressions used in the anime that said 'site focused on.

At the time, other stuff kept on dragging me away. School, writing, games, stuff like that.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 pm

About a year ago I sent a letter to Rosetta stone asking them if they could get in touch with Viz or Shounen jump and see if any of the series they handle would be willing to do some scene drawings in place of their real world photographs. No response. I wouldn't be surprised if it went strait to the round file.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby EdenB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:48 am

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ik2r-myr/kanji/kanji1a.htm

^-- Is good for kanji review and learning. It's still drilling though, so it can get boring. There are more friendly seeming ones out there (which I've since lost the address too). This one lets you do it in various ways though, review the kanji, match the kanki to the hiragana, match the kanji to the english word, match the english word to the kanji, all together, etc.

I'd also be especially grateful for any that can work on a phone. I've got a Nokia e71 and most the software isn't stuff I often use.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Other Talk