Do you save Fanfiction to your hard drive?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Do You save fan-fiction to your hard drive?

Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
No - I only read online
9%
No - I only read online
9%
What's Fanfiction?
1%
What's Fanfiction?
1%

Total votes : 148

Do you save Fanfiction to your hard drive?

Postby antimatterenergy » Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 pm

So do you save fan-fiction to your computer?
I save the fics I consider to be really good because you never know when they'll disappear and they don't take up an overly large amount of space. I have also printed out some of short ones to show to others.
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby DCG » Fri May 26, 2006 12:03 am

I made a Return paper back over here.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby AscendedWarrior » Fri May 26, 2006 4:20 am

I find myself saving my favorite fanfiction stories to my harddrive whenever possilbe... I have too many bad experiences with stories I like going offline
AscendedWarrior
Senshi Cadet

Postby Vasey » Fri May 26, 2006 5:03 am

Hell, yes. Shit disappears off the Internet all the time and rooting through the wayback machines gets real old, real fast.
Vasey
Senshi Cadet

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 pm

Yes, I save fics I want to read again. And have printed out a number as well.
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Frog » Fri May 26, 2006 5:14 pm

I used to save and print out fics, but I don't do it anymore. I came to think of it as a waste of ink when I started getting bombarded with college assignments and all my money seemed to become devoted to paying for new ink cartridges. Also, a waste of HDD space back when I had a puny little hard drive and a hundred things that I wanted to keep in it.
Still, I kinda cherish the chapters I printed out of Children of an Elder God. It's nice to be able to re-read them at any time.
I wont start printing out fics any time soon, but I might start saving them again now that I have a much larger HDD to have fun with.
My vote? 'No - I only read online'... for now.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm

When I first started reading, I used to archive all the fics (I read SM only...this was like ten years ago when Moonromance was "Luna and Artemis's Fanfic Archive"), but gave up on that. Only stuff I have on my drive is what I want to read....if I ever get the inclanation.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm

I always just read it online. I know I probably should save a copy, but since I use about 3-4 computers in a day it wouldn't really help me much anyway.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat May 27, 2006 4:18 am

Read it offline. Mostly since when I stumble across the online variant I have other things to do. So I'll just save it and read it later on.
As to actually saving fanfic, yes I do. But only the series
a) I'd like to see more of
b) I enjoyed
c) I will likely re-read
Since I'm pretty global there, it shouldn't be a big surprise that the fanfic folder is currently 269.5 MB... :shock:
Granted, I should probably remove 38 megs from that count for being fanart and MP3's...
edit: Since migele stated that unread stuff should be excluded as such... I should subtract 36 megs of files... I'm not gonna chack on the chapters I haven't read yet... :P
Last edited by Neko- on Sun May 28, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sat May 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Yes, but only to read offline. I save as many as I can that I'd liked reading to my HDD so that during those times when my net connection fails (which is disturbingly often, something I will need to correct when I get both the time and money to switch ISPs), I will be able to go and read some fanfics. My addiction's so bad that if I can't access at least one fic to read for a little bit each day, I start to get worried...
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat May 27, 2006 7:02 pm

I save what I like to read. I got into the habit because remaining online for long periods is expensive. So I save everything then read it later. Also, sometimes links or the fics themselves change/disappear.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby migele » Sun May 28, 2006 5:52 am

mostly I'm an offline reader. but the important ones are stored for eternity.
currently I'm approaching the 500 mb mark (however 50mb of that is unfiltered and unread fiction, that's a lot of unread chapters and I still have about 350 c2 alerts waiting to be openend.
migele
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Hiryo » Tue May 30, 2006 5:18 am

Yip I DEFINITLY SAVE AND REREAD the many fanfics out there.
I'm a diehard RanManica-Otaku-Fanfic-Fan and currently have
~1,8 GB of Ranma and Ranma-xover fanfics in txt-, html-, and even some
doc-format. Each story is put into a folder and are sorted by the first letter in a folder.
That means I saved those fanfics from ff.net mm.org, cork, cork2, www.fanfic.net,... in txt
format since otherwise I would have to few space . . . to save those, the fanarts or
alternate versions of the stories too. Then there are the AA-threads those too I have on
my hd. Although my Link-list on my site would cover the most that I have currently
home on my hd
http://www.geocities.com/hiryoshotenha/main-Links.html
Nevertheless I'm sure that PCHeintz72 and some others have more fanfics than I stored
on their hd.
I always played with the thought to pack the whole thing with rar and upload it to a P2P
program like emule . . . . If enough ask nicely I may do so . . . .
Life to the fullest without regrets and be as happy as you could be.
Hiryo
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Tue May 30, 2006 5:25 am

*would comment on the staggering amount of time it would take to actually read through 1.8 GB of TXT files*
Heck... I find the 200 meg I have extensive enough already to not re-read. With 1.8 gigs you'd be lagging behind on all stories as new chapters were released (provided they're not dead stories).
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Hiryo » Tue May 30, 2006 5:59 am

Neko- wrote:would comment on the staggering amount of time it would take to actually read through 1.8 GB of TXT files*

Rougly over three quater of a year. Once I reread the whole thing and needed half a year
and that was 3 years back.
Neko- wrote:Heck... I find the 200 meg I have extensive enough already to not re-read. With 1.8 gigs you'd be lagging behind on all stories as new chapters were released (provided they're not dead stories).

Nope not as much as you think. I currently have a backlag only because of my network-
course I currently undertake. And that is a ~15MB rarfile (foremost: ff.net, mediaminer,
AA). Since I always read from my laptop where I copy the fics I have to read to. There I
search when an update is if the fic is already there if yes then I move the fics from the ol'
folder to the newer one.
I read those fics and put those I like then to my C2 Community:
http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/6541/0/0/1/
Life to the fullest without regrets and be as happy as you could be.
Hiryo
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Polls