Need a map of the roads of the Western coast of North Americ

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Need a map of the roads of the Western coast of North Americ

Postby Cheb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:44 am

I need main roads -- and other landmark, if possible -- for roughly this area. FO1/2 did not have any, but in FO:NV roads are pretty important and used as references for some important off-map locations like The Divide or Big Empty.
Also, roads denote the most passable terrain if even the road itself had eroded away.

I tried using internet maps (from Yandex), but the roads disappear at the scale I need. It's a pain in the behind to try extracting roads from that.

The problem is exacerbated by me blocking google on my computer (for being too nosy).

(I tried to add roads by hand, but that's too much work and it's inaccurate)

So, does anyone have a quick and dirty solution? :roll:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Need a map of the roads of the Western coast of North Am

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:46 am

Cheb wrote:I need main roads -- and other landmark, if possible -- for roughly this area. FO1/2 did not have any, but in FO:NV roads are pretty important and used as references for some important off-map locations like The Divide or Big Empty.
Also, roads denote the most passable terrain if even the road itself had eroded away.

I tried using internet maps (from Yandex), but the roads disappear at the scale I need. It's a pain in the behind to try extracting roads from that.

The problem is exacerbated by me blocking google on my computer (for being too nosy).

(I tried to add roads by hand, but that's too much work and it's inaccurate)

So, does anyone have a quick and dirty solution? :roll:

Have you tried mapquest... alternatively, if you are a member AAA used to send trip maps to you on request.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Have you tried mapquest...

Thank you! I still have to make a ton of screenshots and then stitch them together, but at least this map has a decent contrast and well readable road numbers.

P.S. Ugh, I made a 11000x9000 mosaic of 72 screenshots. My head hurts :(
Last edited by Cheb on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:13 pm

The old Park to Park highway system went around many of the outlaying areas you cover in that image and could cover some points of interest but many of the roads required tunnels and bridges not to mention other roadway services to keep the paths open say from mud/land slides and avalanche situations. So taking any road map as a way to show a passable place is a bit of a stretch.

My shortcut suggestion. Get B&W maps that have the roads fairly well detailed but not much else. Then using two points that are common between them resize it then rotate to have them match as closely as possible.

I would provide examples but I don't know if this post will even get up seeing as my internet seems to have vanished.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Cheb wrote:Thank you! I still have to make a ton of screenshots and then stitch them together, but at least this map has a decent contrast and well readable road numbers.

In fairness what you are doing is not strictly what MapQuest was designed for even if it can be used for such.

I am not sure exactly why you are doing this, but if it is for a trip... you could just input the begin and end destination and let it find the route for you... while it is not perfect it is generally good.

If all you want is highways another approach get a ready made high def PDF map of So Cal and a map of Nevada, etc showing state and federal highways...

the NHS site has that:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nation ... ay_system/

California
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nation ... asouth.pdf

Nevada
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nation ... nevada.pdf
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Don't forget http://fhwa.dot.gov/byways which has a good list of scenic roads that while not main routes also still exist and might help.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Don't forget http://fhwa.dot.gov/byways which has a good list of scenic roads that while not main routes also still exist and might help.

Good point, I was not thinking at all of byways and other facts that site has.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm

"Firefox can't find the server at fhwa.dot.gov." :?

I am not sure exactly why you are doing this,

For my new Ranma / SM / Fallout 2 crossover (the pilot chapter is already in the C&C section).
There are many plot-import locations in the New Vegas canon that are off the main map (including all four DLCs), but the lore only tells their location relative to specific highways.
There also are such things as caravan routes in the FO2, but the ingame map doesn't have roads.

In short, before elaborating on the Fallout's AU and using the differences, I have to learn the general layout of these lands IRL.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Your best bet might be to just break down and buy the Rand McNalley(sp) maps for the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. If you need the miles and everything the game developers were likely using the same maps. It doesn't appear to go further north yet or into Colorado.

Edit: Typing the URL form memory I forgot the www http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Edit: Typing the URL form memory I forgot the www http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways

Thanks :) this would help me. "Arroyo" is first in the list. Jackpot!

Your best bet might be to just break down and buy the Rand McNalley(sp)

Ugh. :x I already performed a Herculean task of stitching a monstrous map (150 megabutes in highly compressed png) from 72 screenshots I made of the mapquest website.
I now can place most DLCs.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Another map that might help is this old one. http://www.davidrumsey.com/rumsey/Size4 ... 372000.jpg
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:14 pm

And then there is http://www.openstreetmap.org/ as well.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 am

how about a very stupid idea, hit the local libary and see if they have a book of maps and take notes for your yourself.....sorry, but a very good idea.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 am

, hit the local libary and see

[epic facepalm]

This... Well, the detail level is too low for my needs, but it at least gives me an elevation map. Includes most of the locations of the FOverse.

This atlas was gathering dust in one of my cupboards since... Well, judging by the newspaper found on that same page, since forever >_<

SDC12304_1.jpg
SDC12304_2.jpg
SDC12304_3.jpg
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:01 pm

An actual modern (last 10-15 years) full highway map is a good sized art style book.

they work quite well, but can be a bit pricey yet at the same time useful due to being able to use it without worrying about connections or power.

I actually have several of the more local maps for surrounding counties in my car at all times, due tot he simple fact I am a map driver, and work way better with map directions than verbal ones...

I never needed more than a state level big fold out maps though, so I've never bought the multi-state and countrywide ones.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fic Research