What makes Usagi the 'purest' of them all?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: What makes Usagi the 'purest' of them all?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Pale Wolf wrote:Well, the question that seems to have been missed here is: 'Pure what?'

Pure hunger/greed? That's pure of heart!

(Pure energy.) *_*

Spica75 wrote:Eeek, Mesan Alignment supporter! :wink:
(just kidding)

Yeah, I wouldn't even encourage or recommend it. People should just have the choice to do whatever. I'd like to see some catgirls, at the very least. ;p

Or the reincarnation mechanics picked the first "body to become" that was VERY close to original genetics.

It still removes the natural processes, though. Well, depending on your definition of what is natural. Personally, I'd be contradicting my own opinion if I said it wasn't natural, which most probably would agree with. XD

I thought she was 14 at start? Every source i know off says so at least...

She's fourteen at the start, yeah. With her birthday in the Summer, I wonder if she had been thirteen or fourteen at the start of the school year. Unfortunately, there are better records for her school grades than her age, which isn't saying much. ;/ (I can't even remember if it ever mentioned anything about her being in ninth grade, aside from preparing for high school.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I'd like to see some catgirls, at the very least. ;p

:mrgreen:

It still removes the natural processes, though.

No, in this case the child starts naturally and there are no actual changes on the genetic level. So, natural child with added soul and influence by magic as a bonus making sure that the genetics end up with her look.

Remember that persons can look the same from different genetics, as well as look different with identical genetics(even if RARE), as genes react situationally to circumstances, and then there´s also epigenetics.

Which is why my guess is that the magic and/or soul of the reincarnation is behind the similar looks rather than purely genetics.

She's fourteen at the start, yeah.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there are better records for her school grades than her age, which isn't saying much. ;/ (I can't even remember if it ever mentioned anything about her being in ninth grade, aside from preparing for high school.)

Isn´t there mention of her age somewhere early on in the anime at least?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Cheb wrote:Hmmm, I don't know. Having no desire to build her happiness at the cost of others? (several anime-only childish tantrums aside) Not a trace of desire to shit on other people's heads to feel great?
That's pure enough for me. Enough to want her as a dictator of Earth (considering that might makes right and all that).

Hardly unique to Usagi

Hotaru and Ami come to mind.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Spica75 wrote:No, in this case the child starts naturally and there are no actual changes on the genetic level. So, natural child with added soul and influence by magic as a bonus making sure that the genetics end up with her look.

Remember that persons can look the same from different genetics, as well as look different with identical genetics(even if RARE), as genes react situationally to circumstances, and then there´s also epigenetics.

Which is why my guess is that the magic and/or soul of the reincarnation is behind the similar looks rather than purely genetics.

That's not what I mean. Does Usagi look like a product of her parents? I know it's anime/manga, but -- so long as her appearance remains the same -- it either wasn't natural, because there was something at work to ensure that result, or she just won the lottery to win all lotteries. The latter's chance of happening is so astronomically low -- should nature be allowed to take its course -- that it shouldn't be in doubt where to apply Occam's razor. Plus, in the manga, once she recovers her memories she does undergo some physical changes, which supports the idea that something is at work to ensure that she turns out the same appearance-wise (possibly down to the genetic level).

In some way, you sound like you were agreeing with me, but I don't think we're arguing on the same level.

Isn´t there mention of her age somewhere early on in the anime at least?

I believe her age is mentioned at the beginning of the anime and manga, but I don't think we know at what time during the school year the story begins.

However, I just vaguely remembered something from Rei's story, and it might provide a timeline. We get a date, April 17th (Rei's birthday) and later it's mentioned that it's the rainy season (early June to mid July, I believe). At this time Zoisite is still alive. Now, the school year starts at the beginning of April, which makes for a very small window (about two weeks) for events to take place between Usagi becoming Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars joining the team. It might be possible for all those events to take place during that time frame; if so, Usagi would turn fifteen in her eighth year (and would explain why she is sixteen at the start of her tenth, if that it is the case (I can't recall)). While we could certainly place the start of the story during the latter half of the school year, a half year for those events to take place seems too long, and I don't recall the weather being cold throughout most of that time (which it would certainly be, because I doubt the Dark Kingdom would have gone into hibernation for several months).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:40 am

Maybe Usagi has the most sisu of them all?
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 am

Té Rowan wrote:Maybe Usagi has the most sisu of them all?

:mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 am

Does Usagi look like a product of her parents? I know it's anime/manga, but -- so long as her appearance remains the same -- it either wasn't natural, because there was something at work to ensure that result, or she just won the lottery to win all lotteries.

Actually it isn´t quite that unlikely. For example, if the parents have Ainu or European heritage somewhere, it´s certainly possible. This is something that occasionally happens for real as well.

Plus, in the manga, once she recovers her memories she does undergo some physical changes, which supports the idea that something is at work to ensure that she turns out the same appearance-wise (possibly down to the genetic level).

Magic is magic... :wink:

In some way, you sound like you were agreeing with me, but I don't think we're arguing on the same level.

Probably not. Or should i ask, what level? :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 pm

I was arguing on the basis that purity would be achieved by taking action to pass on Serenity's genetics as is, and I think you took it a step further to argue that any intended result could be superficial rather than strictly genetic.

I wonder if Chibi-Usa's nine hundred years of stunted growth has anything to do with her ancestry. Would it have happened if Usagi's genetics were based on Earth's (if not Serenity's genetics, who came from another galaxy), like Mamoru's, or did it have more to do with however star seeds and/or sailor stars come into being.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I wonder if Chibi-Usa's nine hundred years of stunted growth has anything to do with her ancestry. Would it have happened if Usagi's genetics were based on Earth's (if not Serenity's genetics, who came from another galaxy), like Mamoru's, or did it have more to do with however star seeds and/or sailor stars come into being.

That suggests a complete tangent: Hakubi Washuu normally uses a child form, unless her adult form is needed. Among other things, it makes romantic entanglements less probable and stressful. Chibi-usa is a princess -- and princesses are often married off to seal political relationships. But who's going to force a spore to get married?

Then there are the potential advantages of being underestimated. Presumably, she's spent that 900 years doing something besides going to grade school and emitting pink sugar hearts. Chibi-usa very well may have large cans of both martial and intellectual whup-ass hidden away in her subspace pocket.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I was arguing on the basis that purity would be achieved by taking action to pass on Serenity's genetics as is,

Ah ok.

and I think you took it a step further to argue that any intended result could be superficial rather than strictly genetic.

Nope, more like i veered off in a completely different direction. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Very well-hidden.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Spica75 wrote:Nope, more like i veered off in a completely different direction. :mrgreen:

Deserter! >:O

Pale Wolf wrote:Very well-hidden.

Sorry, I thought emphasis was needed. XD
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 am

Before arguing, perform thorough research on the original Japanese wording. :roll:

You may be raising the storm about a momentary decision of some overworked translator guy who didn't care. :twisted:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Deserter! >:O

Oh yes i looove dessert!
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon