Favourite Youtube videos v2.0

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Re: Favourite Youtube videos v2.0

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:10 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:But - but - it's one of the few cartoons with more violence than Tom and Jerry.

Better not tell self-appointed morality guardians of that. They might get upset over how someone non-American is better than their own at showing Family Values.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am

Té Rowan wrote:Better not tell self-appointed morality guardians of that. They might get upset over how someone non-American is better than their own at showing Family Values.

In Kill la Kill, the family values are even more twisted than the violence. :twisted: Now go away or I will taunt you a second time, you silly Icelandic pig-dog!

Knight.jpg
Knight.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:45 am

is 150% aviation pr0n.

So beautiful :I...

What's that bare-butt belieber mean... bad music?

She simply doesn't like classics. Not everyone does.

On that note... I had a wonderful moment of joy when something I thought imposible happened:
The opening song from Slayers performed in Russian. Perfectly, on par I dare say with Hayashibara Megumi.
I thought that Russian dubbing was dead. That there was no one even able to work on the level.
I'm so glad I was wrong.
It's a miracle!

People comment it's so nostalgic, like a window into 10..15 years ago.
The singer is known simply as "Misato".
It's a bigthday gift to someone named "K.A.I airis 92".

In Kill la Kill, the family values are even more twisted than the violence.

Btw., the same studio is now making animated clips for the fifth Shantae game. I'm vibrating in anticipation, waiting for it to hit Steam.

P.S. This guy acquired a cool car for $5200 (required a lot of tuning after 30 years unused in a military base, lots of small parts were looted). He is now having fun with this new badass toy. It got wooden cab! https://youtu.be/Z7D9qEvZXpE?t=1765
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Absolutely amazing Lv 80 IRL sabre juggling!
https://youtu.be/f2fu5pCSH38?t=20
I believe this doubles as fic research for when you need to write a swordswoman. This is what humans can do.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 am

Cheb wrote:Absolutely amazing Lv 80 IRL sabre juggling!
https://youtu.be/f2fu5pCSH38?t=20
I believe this doubles as fic research for when you need to write a swordswoman. This is what humans can do.

Definitely counts. :)

And then you combine that with perfectly realistic parkour and suddenly you have something that most readers will think unrealistic and totally impossible. :mrgreen:

That it's a bunch of pretty girls showing off clearly doesn't matter at all. 8)
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:24 pm

It's lovely, a dance of metal. I don't know how well it would work in battle. If you're thinking of actual battle, you could study under Duke Paul of Bellatrix. That's an SCA title, which means he's been King at least twice. You get to be king by victory in the Crown Tournament, so you have to be a good fighter. I've never seen Duke Paul actually fight; but if he's better than Baron Sir Moonwulf (whom I have seen in combat) it must be fantastic.

I have taken one weekend seminar under Duke Paul, and was a much less pitiable fighter afterwards, but it turns out armored combat simply wasn't for me.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 am

It's lovely, a dance of metal. I don't know how well it would work in battle.

A lot of it isn't meant for battle. It's a way of practising control and skill in handling the swords which then also became a showmanship thing.

I also know just enough about sword handling to understand just how insanely skilled you have to be to do some of the stuff the girls in the video did.

I have taken one weekend seminar under Duke Paul, and was a much less pitiable fighter afterwards, but it turns out armored combat simply wasn't for me.

Swords is a bit like the longbow of melee weapons. It has the potential to be an exceptional weapon, BUT it becomes so only when you've spent stupid amounts of time training with it. And that's before even looking at the different types of swords, basically cutting(katana), chopping("broadsword") and stabbing(rapier).

The lighter side of polearms tend to be much easier to start with, like guandao, naginata, maybe glaive(tend to be a bit large though), if you're looking for something to "play" or work out with.

And it's the same reason why low skill armies tended to use spears or pikes even if they did have access to swords. In poorly trained hands, swords were at least as dangerous to allies and self as to enemies.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:08 am

Spica75 wrote:Swords is a bit like the longbow of melee weapons. It has the potential to be an exceptional weapon, BUT it becomes so only when you've spent stupid amounts of time training with it. And that's before even looking at the different types of swords, basically cutting(katana), chopping("broadsword") and stabbing(rapier).

I wasn't terrible with a sword, but I never could get the hang of a shield. Perhaps I should have tried an early kite shield. As it was - I won one fight, decided "okay, I've done that" and gave away the armor. It wasn't for me. I am a one-thing-at-a-time person, and operating both sword and shield at the same time was beyond me.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm

A lot of it isn't meant for battle. It's a way of practising control and skill in handling the swords which then also became a showmanship thing.

Watching this lets you *feel* what *the sword is extension of one's body* means.
Could be used in battle as intimidation tactic. I am fully intent on having Risky pull one such showmanship on Ranma making him realize just how much she had held back.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I wasn't terrible with a sword, but I never could get the hang of a shield. Perhaps I should have tried an early kite shield. As it was - I won one fight, decided "okay, I've done that" and gave away the armor. It wasn't for me. I am a one-thing-at-a-time person, and operating both sword and shield at the same time was beyond me.

Well then, one more reason to try something singular but twohanded instead! :twisted: :D

And well, "sword and shield" did die out in favour of twohanded or sword and dagger, which then in turn ended up morphing into lighter fencing swords...

#####
Watching this lets you *feel* what *the sword is extension of one's body* means.
Could be used in battle as intimidation tactic.

Yup, getting that feel down solid is why you "play around" like that. I do the same with a bo staff, and have done it with guandao and naginata. You don't really notice it the first 50, maybe 100 or even 200 times you do it for a while, but then at some point you realise you're doing everything at 2-3 times the speed you started out at, and missing something 1/10th as often.
That's when you know it works.

And yeah, it CAN be used for actual fighting, it's just not very good for it most of the time, but sometimes, especially if opponent(s) is inferior enough in skill(and either can tell by how much better you're handling the sword, or is bad enough that they can't tell that it's more showmanship than anything else), it can be very intimidating for sure.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:And then there's Indiana Jones.

:mrgreen:

Oh yes, one of the better scenes ever.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am

Harrison actually had a bad case of diarrhea (or so the story goes), so the obligatory scene where he was supposed to swordfight the guy got cut to that scene. And made the movie all the more iconic in doing so :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 am

A fight between a guy with a sword and a guy with a bullwhip would be - confusing. Neither would know what the other was doing, or going to do. I'd hate to choreograph it.

The most realistic superhero fight would probably be very short: the one that gets in the first shot, wins. (This doesn't include the really powerful ones like Superman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern.) But one-shot kills aren't good storytelling. Except when we're expecting bullwhip-vs-scimitar, maybe.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Other Talk