Weirdness: Round three

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Re: Weirdness: Round three

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:33 pm

https://www.ranmachan.com/ — Someone redid Rankofics in Wordpress. Very modern, and hard to read on my computer.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 am

It's interesting, and there were fics I haven't seen before. Tried to message Kay (the owner of the site?) but the message function wouldn't work.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am

Right now, my region is free from the damn covid flu, but I still go out at least once a day and sanitise handles and handrails in the stairwell, both because I feel that tiny little bit better afterwards, and to use up that high-test handspirit mo-one else can stand.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Right now, my region is free from the damn covid flu,

Opposite here. As expected and predicted, autumn brought a massive increase in spread again. Recommendations went drastically stricter again here just the other day.

but I still go out at least once a day and sanitise handles and handrails in the stairwell, both because I feel that tiny little bit better afterwards, and to use up that high-test handspirit mo-one else can stand.

Good, one of the larger causes of spread and even the tiniest negation of spread is useful.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Spica75 wrote:Opposite here. As expected and predicted, autumn brought a massive increase in spread again.

The exact same did happen here in the Chibi White North. Mum had a bad feeling about the autumn months already last spring. Now she has a bad feeling about next spring, and I think there is more than just something to it, if only because, IIRC, spring and autumn are the worst times in general.

The wave is falling again countrywide, and the Chief of Disease Control is hoping it's safe to release a few numbers restrictions.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:16 am

Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 am

Decent start at least.

often on pubic transportation

:mrgreen:

Perfect misstype there.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:28 pm

https://www.bbl.is/folk/klafur-yfir-jokulsa-var-helsta-samgongutaeki-heimilisfolks-a-merki

This article in the Farmers' Paper is about the last farm ropeway in regular use in Iceland. It was in use until the river was bridged in 1975.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Considering the present collapse and future demolition of the Arecibo telescope -- due to broken cables -- I'd be very nervous using that ropeway. Nobody was willing to use those newfangled elevators, either, until Elisha Otis invented/introduced the safety elevator in 1852. If the rope holding the elevator up failed, a mechanism would lock the elevator in place.

Having been on an elevator once that took one HELL of a lurch, I consider this a very good idea. I looked at the pictures accompanying the article and it looks like the carrier could handle the breaking of one of the two support cables, but if the tow line goes, the riders are in trouble.

But then, bridges fail too, even good ones like the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River. I was working at a lab under that bridge while it was being built, close enough that our cars were being speckled with paint when they painted it. Fortunately, everybody at the lab had moved on by the time it collapsed. Unfortunately, the commuters crossing the bridge found themselves moving down instead of on.

Do you think we live in a dangerous world?
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:35 am

That river, which runs strong in a gorge, was crossed by several ropeways (the article mentions six) since the main road up the valley was on the west bank while there were farms on both banks. Children would use them on their own once they were strong enough to haul themselves over. IIRC, the statistics were three deaths in all of last century.

Mind, there were ropeways in many other places, and some were public ferry points. At least one ropeway was a rope-hauled ferryboat.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Do you think we live in a dangerous world?

Yes.

Having been on an elevator once that took one HELL of a lurch, I consider this a very good idea.

And of the reasons for thinking so is because of an experience i had when on vacation in Spain early 80s, where the hotel was very proud of their "express elevators" making sure you could get from top to bottom floor "almost instantly"...
Very few left those without feeling queasy, because they were fast enough and accelerated rapidly enough that if you jumped just before it accelerated downwards, it was literally possible to bump your head on the roof. And what it felt like when stopping after going down, yikes, NOT for the faint of heart...

They were "greatly slowed down" just a few years later due to safety concerns, not with the elevators failing, oh no, but because by then they had had a number of minor injuries from like above "jump at the wrong time, hit your head" or people falling due to deceleration. And even after that slowdown, they apparently remained in the top 10 fastest elevators in the world.

So yes, even if everything "normal" was 100% safe, we would still live in a dangerous world because there's always someone thinking up insane crap like that and considering it a WONDERFUL idea. And a bunch of other people who simply are not nearly as smart or skilled as they think they are. And then of course, there's also the entirely clueless people. The kind that will seriously try to make a flying machine designed like a jumping parasol.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 pm

My friends and I knew an elevator that accelerated powerfully both going up and going down. Moderately tall building, too. If we were around it, with nothing more urgent to do, we'd do the jumping-up both on ascent and descent. Good practice for working under different gravity. I'd say the elevator went from about 0.8 to 1.2 Earth gravity. This, however, was a trustworthy elevator.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:14 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:My friends and I knew an elevator that accelerated powerfully both going up and going down. Moderately tall building, too. If we were around it, with nothing more urgent to do, we'd do the jumping-up both on ascent and descent. Good practice for working under different gravity. I'd say the elevator went from about 0.8 to 1.2 Earth gravity. This, however, was a trustworthy elevator.

Yeah, but at least that's still sounds like it's in the realm of "fun" levels of "goes fast". And that one in Spain, doesn't matter how trustworthy it was, going down felt like stepping off the edge of a high dive platform accidentally, suddenly you just went *eeeek!* as the ground tried to run away from you, and going up, well, anyone should make sure they didn't have their pants on too loosely together with something too heavy in their pockets... :mrgreen:

And since said hotel was practically one step from the beach, loose beachwear was standard most of the time.
The people i was there with, parents worked for the travel agency, so they were basically testing the place, and they repeatedly noted very thoroughly upon the absolute horror that elevator was, it got a whole paper just to itself, accidents witnessed, wardrobe malfunctions witnessed, various things dropped oh so often etc...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 am

Spica75 wrote:… wardrobe malfunctions witnessed, …

I'm so reminded of Genma's panda-sized swimming trunks in Girl Days.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Talk