Weirdness: Round three

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Re: Weirdness: Round three

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 am

I can sorta recogmise an occasional word or sentence fragment if I squint 4,7 degrees away from reality.

Aside: It's tempting to rename my Miss Hino nudie folder to "Rei's Anatomy".
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:44 am

Spica75 wrote:Yes, because some of those wordings just makes me go "eh?".
The first version especially, does not seem to stick with a single language.

I'm taking the first version on faith. It looks more like Anglo-Saxon than Norse, because Norse is more comprehensible, but it's SCA scholarship, and not my field.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Pretty certain, too, that this port of "Rudolf" is written in Anglo-Saxon.

Now here is something I missed midst all the covid…

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/microsoft-open-sources-gw-basic/

Earlier this year Microsoft released the (assembly) source code for a version 1.xx of GW-BASIC. Should go nicely with their earlier releases of MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.00.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:02 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I'm taking the first version on faith. It looks more like Anglo-Saxon than Norse, because Norse is more comprehensible, but it's SCA scholarship, and not my field.

Maybe, but then what are the latin(more or less) words/grammar doing there? Anglo-Saxon is AFAIK NOT in any way shape or form a latin langauge. It originates from the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, which originate in northern Germany and Denmark, 100% Germanic language family descent.

And the problem with norse is that there is some of THAT as well in the text. Which is probably why both i and Te Rowan can understand them at least to some degree, though possibly not the same since we're from opposite sides of old norse. Sure, it may derive from originating close to norse, but... *headscratching*

Eh, i don't know... :?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 pm

The fireworks season is on here in the Chibi White North. One fireworks seller had a special "Blow Up COVID-19" battery made. It sells well.

Edit:

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2020/12/30/flugeldasala-med-breyttu-snidi-i-faraldrinum

You can see a picture showing the battery in the news article above — I hope.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:56 am

The Rescue Service here finances itself mainly by selling fireworks.

https://flugeldar.sulur.is/products/bjorgunarsveitakappi-64-skota

Here is one of their Hero-class fireworks batteries, named Rescue Squad Hero. Now if it isn't a UAZ-452 standing by the hut…
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:05 am

Ufffff då… Quaffing is so not my style.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:00 am

Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:44 pm

That's the kind of snowcover we USED to have here about now, actual snowcover right now? Maybe 2-3cm.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:09 pm

If there is any left here, it measures in mm.

But, yeah, I have memories of snow like this in the past. Now-a-days it's usally the heaps left by the snow-clearing squad.

And I'm reminded of a snow-clearing squad in North Iceland that almost had their vacation spoiled by snow last spring. Their own boss saved them by going out himself to clear the route. IIRC, word spread that he was gunna, and in the end, there was a convoy behind him of other folks needing to travel.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:45 pm

When young, I remember chugging around in snow up to my hips. But my hips were so much closer to the ground at that age. Ashamed of how long it took to realize this.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:30 pm

I din't know if any of you have ever visited https://int10h.org/, but that site has a pack of PC and PClone ROM fonts available for download and use. They now have an old favourite of mine, the Corona/Cordata PC400 ROM font. You see, at a time when the usual matrix was 8×8 or 8×14, the PC400 had a 16×16 font on the (amber) screen. I miss that machine — I had both MS-DOS 3.3 and CP/M-86 running on it.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:29 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:When young, I remember chugging around in snow up to my hips. But my hips were so much closer to the ground at that age. Ashamed of how long it took to realize this.

A picture from around here February 2010.
Being almost 1.80 tall, the snowcover in the pic would still reach well above hips if i tried to step into that. Not far from chestheight even.

I also have a lovely pic from earlier that winter, when i didn't get my bicycle inside before the BIG snowfall, and it ended up with snow almost covering it completely, with only the top of the wheels visible at all even after the snow had a few days to compress and sink down. The morning after the snowfall, the bike was almost completely covered.
Attachments
DSCN0811.JPG
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:32 am

The weather is piled higher and deeper to the Northwest of here, where I grew up; but I agree. I don't really remember that kind of snow since the Great Halloween Blizzard of 1991. Perhaps (oh let it be so!) we really are getting Global Warming. Since I live in Minnesota, and the models say the warmth will be mostly in the higher latitudes and in the night, I'm all for it. The CO2 is causing global greening, and unless the Greens swallow hard and give in to nuclear power, we stand as much chance of reversing that as we do of halting continental drift.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 pm

I think the weather is getting wilder, too. Kinda have had this feeling that the Atlantic storms slamming into Europe are getting fiercer on the average.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Talk