A Ralts in Moonlight Chapter 2 (Chapter finished)

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

A Ralts in Moonlight Chapter 2 (Chapter finished)

Postby KonokoHasano » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:21 pm

A Ralts in Moonlight

The series used in this work of fiction are not owned by me. I do not own any of the series in here. They are owned by their respective creators or whatever.

“Speech”

‘Thoughts’

/Pokemon Speech/

//Telepathy//

Chapter 2

//Do not try and force it out, Ranma.// Shia softly commented as she sat cross-legged in the grass next to Ranma and continued to instruct the new Ralts on how to awaken his psionic powers. It was four days since she had started teaching Ranma, and they were making minimal progress. Ranma was starting to feel impatient with his failure in grasping something that should have been so simple. Shia had mentioned a few times that since he was at the stage of a newborn Ralts, he wouldn’t be -- as he put it - ‘kicking ass’ without learning how to tap into his mind. The Gardevoir stated that the reason for Ranma using his power the way he did against his father was because of his extreme emotional state during the time. //Calm your mind and allow your mental energy to flow naturally.//

Ranma spared a quick glance towards the Gardevoir who had saved him a few days ago and had also allowed him to stay with her and her family. Shia’s children were off doing their own things in the clearing. The youngest daughter, Mia, was lounging around in the bed of flowers about six meters away. Chokoto -- Shia’s youngest son -- was off practicing with his psychic ability- and doing a hell of a lot better than Ranma would like to admit. Shia’s oldest daughter, Maria, was over by the stream and dancing. She was also trying to get her brother, Nori, to join in. Nori, however, was just content with sitting with his feet dangling into the water.

Ranma wouldn’t admit it out loud, but being around Shia and her family gave him a feeling of peaceful content. It was a feeling that he wasn’t sure if he ever truly felt before, and he was almost sure that it was because of both Shia and his ability to easily sense emotions and feelings that were explained to him a couple days ago. The human-turned-Ralts would have actually gone crazy if it wasn’t for Nori. The oldest son of Shia had a slight temper, and Ranma found that he could trigger it easily. It may not have been a good idea to get on the bad side of someone who could kick your ass from a distance with little effort, but it was so much fun to see him get his non-existent underwear in a knot.

/That’s what I’ve been TRYING to do./ Ranma answered with a bit of frustration mixed in. /I can’t do this ‘calm my mind’ stuff./ He’d rather just jump up and try to re-train his body to some feeling of what he used to have. /Damn!/ He growled out as what little psionic energy he gathered into his hands dissipated away. Deciding to just throw caution to the wind and give into his frustration, Ranma began to force whatever he could get towards his hands.

//I don’t think you should do that, Ranma.// The Gardevoir stated in an attempt to get the young Ralts to stop. Finding that Ranma wasn’t going to listen, and that he already had a huge store of energy in his hands, Shia quickly teleported a few meters away and watched as Ranma let loose the pent-up mental energy that he had called into his hands. The result was a large blast and sent the human-turned-Ralts hurtling backwards towards the river. It wasn’t just the river he was heading towards either. Nori turned his head to see what all the explosion was about, and his eyes widened a second before the small form of a blue-eyed Ralts smashed right into him. Both Ranma and Nori were then sent tumbling into the clear water of the stream.

The two psychics popped their heads out of the water not long after, and Nori gave Ranma a quick bop on her head. /You idiot, how many times has my mother told you to keep a CALM mind?!/ Ranma ignored him as the both climbed out of the water. Nori proceeded to give off a growl in frustration. /Great, now my hair is going to be wet for a while./ He complained as his blue hair -- which was unusual for one of his species, and Ranma learned that there are some Pokemon who are born with different colors. Nori then started to fiddle with the part of his body that had the appearance of a mini-skirt. /And this is going to cling… I HATE when it clings!/

/Jeez, is it really that big of a deal?/ Ranma asked as she rolled her eyes. Of course, nobody was able to see the action.

/I’d like to see you merely shrug it off once you finally evolve./ Nori muttered darkly as he continued to grumble about unnecessary dampness. It was a few moments before he noticed the human-turned-Ralts’s questioning look. /What?/

/What do you mean by ‘once you evolve’?/ Ranma could have sworn she heard the phrase once within the past few days, but never really paid attention. From her home world, she knew that evolution had something to do with changing over time. She didn’t understand all of the crazy scientific gobble-de-gook concerning it though. However, since this was a different world that contained a bunch of odd creatures -- with her being one, she figured it was different. /Does that mean I’ll change or somethin’?/

Nori just stared at the Ralts before him before slapping himself in the head. /Don’t tell me that you didn’t listen to my mother when she mentioned the process of evolution./

Before Ranma could respond, Maria appeared next to them and performed a few twirls. /Don’t get mad at Ranma, Nori! I’m sure everything recently is just too much for her to take in./ Maria turned towards Ranma and grabbed her by the hands. /Evolution is but a wondrous thing, Ranma! I can’t wait until the day that I finally evolve into a great Gardevoir like mom./ Her red eyes turned sparkly for a moment before quickly returning to normal as she turned her attention back to Ranma. /I’m sure you’ll eventually become a fine Kirlia, and an even more fantastic Gardevoir. With time, of course./

/Whoa, wait a second!/ Ranma suddenly interrupted. /What do you mean by me evolving?/

//It’s very simple, Ranma.// Shia stated as she appeared next to the trio. Mia and Chokoto were right next to her as well. //However, it would have been nice if you had listened when I explained about it.// Ranma’s cheeks turned a vivid red as she scratched the back of her head. //As I explained a few days ago, a vast majority of Pokemon have the ability of evolution. This means, that after an incredible amount of effort and patience -- or after coming in contact with a certain stone for some species, -- a species will transform and grow into a stronger form.// She made sure that Ranma was still paying attention to her. To her relief, the young Ralts was, but Ranma also appeared to have an expression of boredom. //For example, I am sure that you noticed a few large insects, right?//

/Like the little yellow caterpillar with the huge pink nose and a pointy horn thing on its head and tail?/ Ranma wondered after remembering a slight confrontation with one and her almost getting stung in the ass. She didn’t feel a bit sorry when it was carried off by that odd bird with a broom-shaped tail

The Gardevoir gave a nod. /That was called a Weedle./

/Wait, so do all Pokemon speak by using their names?/ Ranma’s question was met with a slap to the head from Nori. /You know, you are really asking for--/

Shia put an end to the growing argument by clearing her throat. //Most species do speak by using their names, but there are several who don’t.// Seeing that Ranma was satisfied with the answer, Shia went back to the subject at hand. //The Weedle that we were talking about has two other forms that it can evolve into. Its second form is known as Kakuna, and it is merely the Weedle inside a yellow cocoon that lies motionless. After a little while in this form, the Kakuna will then transform into a Beedrill. In this form, it looks like a large bee with spikes for hands.//

/Ooohhh, I understand now! These ‘evolutions’ are a way for one to get stronger, right?/ The group answered her back with a series of nods. /Then from what Maria says, when I evolve, I’ll become a Kirlia like you two,/ Ranma motioned towards Maria and Nori, /and then I’d end up becoming a Gardevoir like Shia./ She added by motioning towards the mother of four.

//You are correct, Ranma.// Shia answered with a smile. //Of course, there’s also an different evolution for a male Kirlia with using a rare and hard to find stone.//

The young Ralts put her arms behind her head. /Cool, I think I got this evolution stuff down completely. I’ll end up transforming into a Kirlia, and then, finally, a Gardevoir if I don’t find this stone thing./ Ranma suddenly came to a halt after she thought about it. With wide eyes, she pointed towards both Maria and Nori and attempted to say something. Nothing would come out as she turned her head towards Shia. /You can’t be serious!/

/What’s wrong, Ranma?/ Mia asked shyly from her spot next to Chokoto. /Is there something wrong with being a Kirlia or Gardevoir?/

/Yeah, what’s your problem?/ Nori asked with his arms crossed. /Just what is wrong about it?/

/It’s girly!/ Ranma finally managed to shout out as her arm moved between the two Kirlia and the Gardevoir. /The hair, the mini-skirt-like body, the dancing stuff, and the dress-like body! It looks too feminine and girly! Now I know why you look like that, Nori!/

A deep frown appeared on the male Kirlia’s face. /What in the hell did you THINK was the reason for my appearance anyway? It should have been a dead give-away. Well, if you paid attention to what my mother said, anyway./

Ranma gave off a small cough. /I just thought-- well-- you know./ She had trouble getting out what she wanted to say. /I just figured that you were just THAT way./ Ranma finished with a slight chuckle. Shia was the only one who understood and almost started to giggle.

/That way?/ Chokoto asked the question that his other siblings wanted to ask.

/I just thought he was some sort of cross-dresser who wished that he could be a girl instead of a boy. I mean, that dancing isn’t really something that a boy would do. Well, I know that I sure in the hell wouldn’t want to do it. The only people I’ve ever seen do that when I was human were girls wearing tutus. Kind of like what your mini-skirt looks like./ The air between Nori and her was starting to get thick in tension, and Shia decided to back away with her three other children and only interfere if she had to.

/So, what exactly are you saying?/ Nori managed to ask between gritted teeth. Being both insulted in gender AND species did not sit well with him.

Unaware of the fact that she was treading on thin ice, and ignoring the negative emotions her horns were receiving, Ranma continued. /I’m just saying that as a boy -- even if I’m not one right now, -- I would feel completely embarrassed to look like you do. I mean, what--/ The human-turned-Ralts had to suddenly dodge out of the way of a blast of psychic energy. Ranma then had to fall backwards to dodged a teleport and confusion combo. /What the hell is your problem? Are you angry because I called you girly?/

/Just shut up!/ Nori replied as he sent a twin psychic shockwave along the ground. Ranma jumped over this, but found herself being held in place and unable to move. She was then tossed a few feet away and towards the ground, but managed to flip around and land on her feet.

/That’s it!/ Ranma growled out as she motioned towards Nori. /C’mon blue-boy, give me your best shot!/ She briefly wondered just what the hell she was saying, but tossed the feeling aside and got into a ready position. The odds were stacked against her like all the other scuffles that Nori and she had, but who was Ranma to listen to the odds? ‘This is really going to suck.’ The human-turned-Ralts thought as she kept her eyes on a glowing Nori. Ranma proceeded to weave in and out of a few psychic waves and charge towards her opponent. By the time she reached the spot that Nori was in, the Kirlia had already teleported and reappeared behind the young Ralts. Her senses still strong even in her knew body, Ranma leapt to the side and dodged a barrage of mentally controlled leaves. The glowing foliage curved around and headed back towards Ranma. She dodged again, but found that the leaves were still attempting to attack her.

‘Damn it,’ Ranma thought as she kneeled in place and tried to catch her breath. Her thoughts moved away from the leaves and towards the instructions that Shia had constantly stated were necessary for successfully controlling her power. Closing her eyes, Ranma took several deep breaths in an attempt to calm her mind. The young Ralts managed to slowly weed out the distractions around her, and she soon found the ‘source’ of the energy she had been trying to reach for the past four days. The energy itself had a serene and peaceful feeling to it, but at the same time, there was a strong feeling of power. ‘That must be it.’ Ranma thought to herself. On a closer inspection, Ranma could almost feel what seemed like some kind of mental block that was keeping the flow at bay. There was only a tiny bit of the flow that was getting through, and it didn’t feel as if it was enough to even properly do a mental pulse. ‘Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, too.’ She thought in annoyance as she gave a mental prod to the block. ‘I wonder if I can force it apart since I know it is here.’ The newly-formed Ralts didn’t know how to do it, but decided to try and control the flow behind the mental block to break its way through some more.

While this was going on, Nori was watching the kneeling Ralts with a look of interest in his eyes as he held his Magical Leaf attack in the air. He was curious as to what the aquatransexual Ralts was doing, and part of him hoped that Ranma would finally learn how to at least mold the mental energies that were located within his or her mind. ‘It’s just too boring when you just need a little effort to constantly win against someone else.’ He thought in annoyance as he noticed Ranma starting to struggle. Nori turned his head to see that his siblings and mother were watching on in interest. There was no doubt in his mind that his mother would intervene if either Ranma or he were in any true danger.

A round of excited noises from his siblings alerted and caused Nori to turn his head back to Ranma. To the Kirlia’s surprise, there was a faint blue around the young Ralts as she stood up and began to shake her head. When her attention was finally focused back onto Nori with a look of determination, Nori let the Magical Leaf attack fly towards Ranma in a straight line. Hopefully that moment Ranma had earlier allowed her to be able to use her power.

‘I feel a little light-headed now.’ Ranma thought as she tried to shake away the feeling. The human-turned-Ralts suddenly noticed the attack coming her way, and so she began to muster all the determination that she could gather in hopes of being able to use the ‘flow’ that she just forced through. Placing her arm in front of her, Ranma concentrated on having the mental power within her mind travel to her extended arm. Once there, she forced it into a shape and imagined a strong mental pulse that would knock the attack away from her.

Ranma’s efforts weren’t in vain as large gathering of mental energy within her hand pulsed out and distorted the air in front of her. For force of the distortion was enough to knock the leaves away and onto the ground. The action earned a varying degree of responses from the Gardevoir family. Nori had a small smug look on his face at the thought of Ranma FINALLY gaining control, Maria started to dance happily for Ranma’s ‘victory’, Chokoto and Mia clapped, and Shia had a smile that was usually reserved as one that a mother would give a child once they accomplished something that they had struggled with. Ranma’s reaction, on the other hand, was much more verbal.

/Alright!/ Ranma shouted with an arm in the air. /Now nothing’s gonna stop and hold me back!/ Her shouts of victory came to an end when a shockwave of psychic energy started charging towards her. With cocky smirk, Ranma formed a psychic barrier pulse in front of her to stop the attack. When the psychic shockwave hit the barrier pulse, Ranma found herself struggling to keep the attack at bay. Her barrier was overwhelmed by the psychic shockwave, and the attack careened right into her and sent her on a crash course into the stream.

Popping her head out of the water, Ranma found herself being nagged at by a Poliwag that she accidentally fell onto. Once the tadpole Pokemon had run out of curses, it dove under the water and swam away. Ranma remained in the water and fumed about her inability to properly use her psychic powers. She didn’t even acknowledge the fact that Nori was standing at the edge of the water. /Oh come on. Did you honestly think that you could outright beat someone who’s at a higher form and has had more experience? You’re still just a Ralts, not to mention that you JUST learned how use your power./ What the Kirlia said did ring true to Ranma, but it was still aggravating. /Here,/ Nori stated as he extended a hand to help Ranma out of the water. The Ralts accepted the hand and was pulled out. /Now that you can actually use your power, you can work to gain better control of it and become stronger./ Nori proceeded to nudge an elbow at the side of Ranma’s head. /I’ll still beat you at every turn though./

Ranma turned around and got into a fighting stance. /Ya wanna have a go, blue-boy?/ The Kirlia may have won that round, but once she practices some more, he’ll be the one going down. /C’mon, I’m ready for ya./

/You want to be tossed into the water again, don’t you?/ Nori asked with a hint of amusement. /Lucky for you, I don’t feel like humiliating you again./ He finally stated as he spun around and started to move away.

/Hey, get back here and say that again to my face! I dare ya!/ Ranma yelled as she ran to catch up with the higher-leveled Pokemon. One of these days, no matter how long it will take, Ranma would manage to beat him, and then HE would be the one to be embarrassed. /Damn it, you’re just a coward./

As the two argued back and forth like children, Shia gave a small shake of her head with a slight smile. ‘Now that you have conscious access to your power, the future shall hold many interesting things for you, Ranma.’ Her smile gave a slight twitch. ‘I just hope you don’t cause more trouble than I hope you do.’ She thought as the prospect of just how many trainers, researchers, watchers, and other various people Ranma would end up attracting. ‘I’m sure that he would be able to handle it.’ Shia added as she glanced back at Ranma. The human-turned-Ralts was currently flailing her arms and arguing with Nori. Ranma then attempted to mold some psychic energy, but was tossed back by a pulse that was just too strong. ‘At least, I hope.’ Shia thought with a sweat-drop.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A few days after Ranma had finally managed to break through the mental barrier keeping his psychic flow back, we find him in the middle of a heated argument between him and the family of psychics. /C’mon, I’m telling you that I want to continue training. Why should I rest for a while?/ Ranma didn’t like it at all. He still needed to get rid of more of the mental barrier so he wouldn’t have to worry about it. In fact, that was one of the things that he had been working on since removing some of it. /It’s not fair! You’re going to let your kids train a little, but I can’t./

Shia, who was attempting to use Calm Mind so as not to lose her temper, gave a small sigh at the pouting Ralts. //Ranma, I can understand what you mean, but THEY didn’t pass out due to constant attempts at removing a mental block. Training and doing things like that non-stop isn’t healthy, and so we all think that you need a break.//

/It’s not like I’ve never passed out due to strain and exhaustion while training before./ Ranma grumbled out with his arms crossed. /And when I did, I just got back up and started again after a couple hours rest!/

Shia felt a strong urge to whack the young Ralts upside the head, but before anything could happen, Mia softly spoke up. /That was when you were human, right?/ Ranma gave her a small nod. /But Ranma, you are now a Ralts. Your body isn’t the same, and you could do some bad damage if you try to do the stuff that you did when you were human./

/Besides, training yourself till you drop doesn’t work all that good for a psychic./ Maria butted in. /Our training follows a more slow and calm pace. Our powers get stronger with meditation. We do sometimes need training, but as a psychic, it’s all about mental exercises and peace./ Maria twirled over to Ranma and pulled him up to his feet. /We also understand that you have to train your body and fighting ability, but wouldn’t it be better to train slowly until your body can handle it for longer moments?/ Before Ranma could reply, he found himself being hugged tight by Maria as tears flowed out of her eyes. /Because that scared me when you passed out like that!! Don’t ever do anything like that again!/

Ranma found himself at a complete loss as Maria cried -- quite comically to an outside observer. He felt bad for making the Kirlia cry, and because of his horns and the natural empathic nature of a Ralts, Maria’s emotions felt like they were just BLEEDING off of her. To Ranma, it was rather annoying to be susceptible to the intense feelings of others. However, at least he could tell when someone or something had negative intentions, and that could then allow him to know if he’d have to be on guard or not. Of course, he had to learn how to NOT ignore the signals that he would receive. So with a sigh, he nodded his head. /Alright already, I’ll relax a little, but only for a bit./

Maria’s reaction was instantaneous. The Kirlia stopped crying, let go of her hug, gave Ranma a small pat on the head, and then twirled away back to her mother. Nori noticed the look on his mother’s face out of the corner of his eye. //You had Maria put on that act, didn’t you?// Nori asked with a telepathic message that only his mother heard.

//Why whatever gave you that idea?// Shia’s telepathically asked back with as much innocence as she could muster. //Why would I -- knowing full well of Maria’s emotions and our ability to sense them quite well -- have her try and talk Ranma out of it? It pains me that my own son would dare to think that his mother would do such a deviously underhanded thing.// Her son merely shook his head at the statement.

The Gardevoir kept her smile as she lifted herself from the sitting position that she was previously in. She figured that it would be best to go and gather some things to eat. Glancing over in Ranma’s direction, she watched as the human-turned-Ralts was sitting cross-legged with his arms crossed and fuming. With a rolling of her eyes, Shia decided to ask him to come with her. //Ranma, would you like to come with me and help gather some food?// Nori and Maria would end up staying in the clearing to watch Mia and Chokoto, and Shia decided that Ranma could at least learn a little more of the area in terms of what’s edible and what isn’t.

/Yeah, sure./ Ranma replied half-heartedly as he stood up and followed the Gardevoir into the main forest. /So where exactly is it that you get those berries and things? All I really know is that you guys mostly eat berries, apples, nuts, fish, mushrooms, and some wild vegetables./ The selection wasn’t all that bad, but Ranma wished there was a little more variety. He was really starting to miss certain things like chicken and pork. ‘I wonder if I’ll ever get to eat any of that again.’ Ranma thought with a small frown.

//The trees that grow the fruits and berries aren’t that far from here. The area is a human farm that specializes in growing various kinds of berries. These berries are harvest and sent to places that either use them, or sell them, for Pokemon use.// She watched as Ranma gave her a nod of understanding. //Berries grow a lot faster than things like apples, and there’s many different trees. Because of this, the humans growing them don’t mind if us Pokemon step in and take some.//

/If there’s so many different berries, then why do ya always seem to get those curvy pink and yellow ones, the rough and pointy brownish ones, and round half blue-half green ones?/ The latter two of the three weren’t too bad, but the brown one was terribly spicy, and the half blue-half green one was sour as hell. Ranma guessed it had something to do with eating them alone, because when Shia mixed the berries, nuts, and other things into a stone bowl and used that fire skill, the resulting meal tasted great. /Hey, how do ya know how to use bowls and cook anyway?/ Ranma asked as he watched an Oddish -- he didn’t know what the creature was, though -- run into some bushes and disappear. /I wouldn’t think that you’d be able to do things like that./

//I may not be as smart as an Alakazam or Slowking, but I’m not a slouch when it comes to knowing about certain things and how to do them.// The Gardevoir responded as she tried to resist a strange urge to slap the young Ralts upside the head. //In fact, many psychic Pokemon have a greater sense of awareness due to our brain cells multiplying at a much faster rate than most other species.// Shia watched as Ranma merely stared at her with blinking eyes. With a heavy sigh, she softly patted the Ralts on his head. //It’s alright, you’ll figure it out eventually. In the meantime though, let’s just concentrate on collecting some berries while we’re now here.//

Ranma’s attention focused ahead, and his blue eyes looked on in awe at the various trees that stood in the area. The berries on each tree were a multitude of shapes, colors, and sizes. By a few of the trees were ladders -- showing that there were some people working on collecting the fruits from the trees. /You weren’t kidding when you said that there’s a whole bunch of different berries!/ Ranma stated as he continued to take in the scene around them. /So how do we get them down? Do we use those ladders?/

//Of course not, Ranma.// Shia answered back with a slight giggle. //We’ll gather them by using our power.// The Gardevoir gently laid her hand onto Ranma’s head. //We’re also going to use this moment as a test to see what you can do with your current abilities.//

Ranma tilted his head and stared right at Shia. /But I thought--/

//You’re going to take a break from training.// Shia answered before Ranma could fully say what I wanted. //However, I never said that you couldn’t USE your power in an EXERCISE to see what you can actually do. You see, ever since you managed to gain access to your psychic ability, you haven’t been using it for many things other than attempting to remove more of your mental block or moving small things on the ground.// A small nod was the answer she received. //These berries are attached to branches, and they aren’t on the ground right next to you. This will be my first official test for you since you gained access to your powers. You are to mentally pull the berries off of the branches and bring them to you. For right now, I want you to collect three Pecha Berries.// Shia finished with a point towards the tree with the proper fruit.

The first thing that Ranma noticed about the Pecha Berry was that it looked like an exact copy of a peach. The shape and color were right on the money with the fruit in Ranma’s memory. Finding himself curious to the taste of the peach clone, Ranma got to work at trying to employ his psychic power to pull off three berries. It took about 30 seconds before he managed to get the proper mental range, and when he did, the Pecha Berry shined a bright blue. With his mental hold, the human-turned-Ralts proceeded to try and pull the fruit from the tree. He hit a snag, however, when he put too much mental pressure onto it and ended up crushing the berry before he even managed to pull it off of the branch.

//Try it again, Ranma.// Shia’s voice stated calmly from behind the Ralts. Ranma turned his head and watched as the Gardevoir effortlessly plucked off a couple oval-like yellow berries. //Do not feel discouraged that your first try failed, and on the next try, do not use as much force.//

With a frown, Ranma turned back to his tree and send out another mental grab. When he reached his target, the young Ralts clenched his teeth in an effort to try and mediate how much power he was sending. This time, instead of adding pressure to the fruit itself, Ranma pulled from the stem. With a yank, he successfully pulled the Pecha off of the tree, but he still found that he put too much into it as the Pecha quickly flew towards him and imbedded itself onto his front horn.

//You managed to get one, but it seems that you will have to wash your head of the sticky juices when we get back.// Shia commented with amusement in her voice.

Plucking the Pecha off of his horn, Ranma winced at the stickiness. With an annoyed grumbling under his breath, he tried again. This time, he grabbed hold of the Pecha, and carefully put enough pressure on the stem to slice it. Ranma then carefully guided the floating fruit down from the tree and into his hand. As soon as the glowing subsided, the Ralts glanced down at the Pecha in his hand for a few seconds. Then, with a large smile, he gave an excited yell and jumped up. /I did it! Look, look, I finally did it!/ Ranma proceeded to dance around for a couple more seconds before coming to a stop and facing the tree again. With an elated feeling, he proceeded to mimic what he had managed to do on his last try.

Shia watched with a soft smile as Ranma picked off two more Pecha and jump around in joy with a few mock punches in the air. ‘Once you manage to gain an understand of your powers, you’ll be surprised at what you could learn to do.’ Shia thought as she picked one last berry -- a Cornn Berry. //I think this is enough berries for now, Ranma. Let’s head back.//

“Did you see that?” A shocked voice asked from several feet away. Both Shia and Ranma turned their heads to see a teenaged boy and an older man. The older one appeared to be in his mid 60’s with graying black hair tucked under a red bandana. He was also sporting a thick beard and eyebrows. The younger was in his late teens with blond hair. On his back was a black backpack that was obviously used for carrying supplies. “That Ralts had blue eyes, didn’t it?” The older man asked.

“Yeah, it did.” The younger of the two replied back. “Didn’t some kid come into town a few days ago and talk about a blue-eyed Ralts that defeated his Croconaw with just fighting ability?” Upon his companion’s nod, the two started to walk towards the Gardevoir and Ralts. Ranma, feeling uneasy about the two approaching him, subconsciously got into a fighting stance. The Pecha Berries he had in his arms fell to the ground, but Shia used her power to pick them up and bring them into her arms. “Will you look at that?” The younger man asked with some amusement. “It’s acting like it’s a Machop. Alright, let’s see what you’ve got.” He was about to grab a Poke Ball, but found himself unable to due to being disabled by Shia.

“You’re always so damn quick to jump the gun, Zashi.” The older of the two grumbled as he smacked the younger on the back of the head. He then turned his attention to Shia and gave an apologetic bow of his head. “I’m sorry for the possible threat, Gardevoir. I assure you, though, that he only wishes to see if the rumors are true. We have no interest in taking your child away from you.” The use of the word child caused both Ranma and Shia to blink. The two men, however, didn’t notice it. “If it’s not too much trouble, can the numbskull here just have a small battle? If you feel that it is getting too rough for the young one, you can step in.” Ranma suddenly felt his ire growing at the implication that he was weak.

Shia thought for a moment as she glanced between Ranma and the teenager with his hand touching a Poke Ball. She’d much rather Ranma learn some more about his powers before getting into a real fight, but she’d also like to see how he’d do against an opponent now that his current form wasn’t too new to him. As she thought, Shia noticed the look that Ranma had on his face. //Are you sure that you want to fight?//

/Yeah, I want to kick their ass for implying that I’m week!/ Ranma stated back with fire in his eyes.

Receiving her answer, the Gardevoir returned her attention to the men and gave a nod as she ended her Disable technique. The one named Zashi smiled as he brought out his Poke Ball. The teenager proceeded to lob it ahead of him, and the ball opened and spewed a beam of light out of it. When the light hit the ground, it morphed and changed into the form of a creature of around a half-meter tall. The creature looked like an overly round and fat brown rat. Its hands and feet contained sharp claws, and its teeth were equally long and sharp. “Ratticate!” It shouted out, and Ranma guessed that it was what the creature was called.

Ranma stared at the Ratticate for a long moment before finally speaking. /Whoa, you’re an ugly little guy, aren’t you?/ He also glanced at the teeth. /Were you electrocuted or something? Jeez, it also looks like you have lock-jaw!/

The large rat gave off an annoyed growl. /Shut up, you scrawny little weakling!/ It shouted quickly and energetically. /I can’t believe I was called out to fight something so weak and not worth my time./

/What did you say, you damn snake food?/ Ranma demanded with narrowed eyes. /C’mon, I’ll show you who the week one is!/ He announced as he got into a fighting stance.

Zashi and the older man wondered what the two Pokemon were arguing about to cause them to get so riled up. Figuring that it really didn’t matter at all, Zashi gave an order to his Pokemon. “Alright, Ratticate, start it off with a Bite attack!” His Ratticate immediately charged forward and attempted a lunging bite in retaliation for what Ranma had said about it.

Ranma simply side-stepped at the last moment and watched as the rat fell flat onto the ground. /Too slow, snake-food./ Ranma taunted with a cocky smirk. This infuriated the Ratticate and caused it to keep lunging in a hope to bite him. Ranma merely continued to side-step each lunge, all the while with his arms behind his back. /Jeez, this isn’t even a challenge./

Both Zashi and the old man were shocked at how easily the Ralts was evading the fast lunges, and it also seemed as if said Ralts wasn’t even exerting itself in anyway. “Ratticate,” Zashi began with another command, “do a Quick Attack, now!”

The rat Pokemon immediately jumped back a few meters and landed on all fours. Ranma was curious about what it was trying to pull, and his unseen eyes widened when his opponent turned into a fast blur. Ranma barely had any time to react, and in his dodge, the human-turned-Ralts suffered three claw marks on his chest. Wincing at the slight pain, Ranma proceeded to ignore it and focus on the battle. /So ya do have some bite to your bark after-all. It’s a pity that it’s all wasted on having to wait for orders and not being able to think for yourself./

/I’m going to enjoy biting you in two!/ Ratticate yelled after receiving its orders. It charged for Ranma again, but was surprised when the Ralts jumped right over it and landed behind the it. Ranma quickly proceeded to grab -- he found out that even though he didn’t have fingers, he could somehow grab and hold things -- the creature’s scrawny and hairless tail. With just a little effort, Ranma picked the Ratticate up by its tail and slammed it to the ground.

“W-- what was that?!” Zashi demanded out loud in shock. Next to him, his older companion’s jaw was hanging loose. “That shouldn’t even be possible!” He stared at the older man. “Have you ever heard of anything like that, Grandpa Kershaw?” Kershaw slowly shook his head in a negative. “F-- fine, Ratticate, Giga Impact!” Zashi was starting to feel humiliated that a Ralts of all things was giving his Ratticate so much trouble.

Ranma watched as his opponent began absorbing energy and trembling as if the rat was about to explode. Briefly wondering how these Pokemon battles can work when the Pokemon has to rely mostly on the trainer, and the trainer just calling out the attacks, Ranma got ready as soon as he noticed the Ratticate digging its hand into the ground. The human-turned-Ralts was surprised at the speed of the charge, but his reaction time -- though somewhat dulled -- was still enough to allow him to dodge out of the way of the attack -- just barely. ‘Whoa, if that would have hit me, I would have been done for.’ Ranma thought as he turned his attention back towards his opponent. The rat Pokemon was currently breathing hard. ‘So it takes a lot out of the person using it.’ He added and figured that the attack would only be good if you managed to make contact with the person. Deciding that maybe he should end the fight right now, Ranma ran towards the brown Pokemon and started a series of punches, and finally sent a quick punch towards its stomach. The Ratticate doubled over from the hit, and this allowed Ranma to perform a roundhouse kick to the creature’s temple. The kick sent the Pokemon into a nearby tree, and Ranma fell back onto his back and attempted to catch his breath. ‘Ha, don’t think I’m weak anymore, do ya?’ Ranma watched as the unconscious Ratticate was absorbed by a beam of red light that shot from the center of the Poke Ball, and then watched as the light was sucked up by the ball with the top closing. This caused Ranma to internally shiver. ‘No way in hell am I ever going to get in one of those things. I’ll beat the hell out of anyone who tries.’

“That was damn well incredible!” Zashi shouted in amazement, and Kershaw had to agree with him. “If its physical power is anything like that, then its psychic power has got to be incredible!” The blond teen stated as his hand slowly reached towards a Poke Ball.

“Zashi!” Kershaw hissed in displeasure. “We only agreed to battle the young thing! I also doubt that its mother is going to allow us to just take it from her!”

“C’mon old man, if that Ralts can hold its own right now with just fighting techniques, then think about if it was properly trained by a trainer! All I have to do is distract that Gardevoir, and then I could snag it.” He pulled out a Poke Ball and jumped away from Kershaw’s grab. With a toss, the Poke Ball sailed into the air and opened to release the usual lighting. When the creature materialized, Ranma could have sworn that it looked like a black fox of some kind with a yellow band on both ears, one on its tail, and a circle on its head and legs.

“Umbreon!” It shouted out its name after appearing.

//I knew we should have just left when we had the chance.// Shia commented with a sigh inside of Ranma’s head. At Ranma’s questioning gaze, she elaborated. //That is an Umbreon, and it is a Dark type Pokemon. As a Dark type, it is immune to psychic attacks.//

‘That sounds really sucky.’ Ranma thought, knowing full well that Shia would be able to hear his thoughts.

//It also seems that the younger human wishes to catch you, and is going to try and use his Umbreon to distract me.//

/What!?/ Ranma asked out loud with wide eyes. /But I thought that he wasn’t--/

//There are many Pokemon Trainers out there who can’t be immediately trusted to keep their word once they meet a strong Pokemon.// The Gardevoir calmly answered with a visible frown. //There are also many who will attempt to capture any Pokemon they meet and don’t have. To them, catching Pokemon is just like a game of some kind where they try and capture as many known species as possible.//

A growl followed its way up through Ranma’s throat as he heard that. The more and more he learned about these so-called ‘Pokemon Trainers’, the more he was starting to dislike them. Their actions sounded more like poaching to him, and what the hell was up with those ball things? /If you think I’m going to let ya catch me, then you are out of your stupid mind!/ The human-turned-Ralts finally shouted as he stood up.

The Umbreon apparently took offense at what Ranma just said. /Hey, my trainer is smart and talented. If he thinks that you are worth his time to capture -- even though I don’t know why he’d want a disrespectful loudmouth like you, -- then he’s going to capture you. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it! Zashi is great! He gave me the beautiful name Ayanna, and it also helps that he’s kind of cute as well!/ Ranma could have also sworn that there were hearts in Ayanna’s eyes as she talked about how great Zashi was, and there were also what sounded like a few giggles.

/Ok, now that is just freaky as hell. Will ya quit acting like some uncute freak and get your head out of the clouds?/

/D-- did you just call me uncute?!/ Ayanna asked in complete shock. Her red eyes narrowed, and her usual smooth fur stood up on end. /How dare you!? I’m not ugly, I’m cute!/ The whole interaction between the two caused the three other beings to watch curiously.

/Well you sure don’t look cute right now, what with your fur all over the place./ Ranma stated with a smirk. The comment caused the Umbreon to ‘eep’ and calm down, but she still sent several glares towards Ranma.

/We can continue this later after Zashi captures you. Don’t expect me to go easy on you because you are weak against me./ The look on Ranma’s face caused Ayanna to laugh. /Don’t tell me that you forgot that you Psychic-type Pokemon have no affect on us Dark-types./ The black-furred Pokemon walked on up to Ranma and stopped with her face right in front of his. /Any psychic attack that you use, I can just shrug it off with no problem at all. However, if you are attacked by a Dark-type move, then you’ll be down for the count./ With another giggle, Ayanna walked around Ranma once before coming to a stop back in front of him. /Face it sweetie,/ she stated as she leaned her face close to Ranma’s. /If we were to fight, you wouldn’t stand a chance, and I’d beat you with no problem what-so-ever. Let’s not even get go into the fact that you are the lowest form of your species. I mean, this would be beyond easy! What do you have to say about that?/

The Umbreon’s hope of placing fear and uncertainty into Ranma’s mind was dashed when the young Ralts gave her a punch in the nose that sent her flying. /You may be a girl,/ He stated as he pointed towards the currently grounded Pokemon holding her nose in pain, /but I don’t give a damn right now. I also don’t give a damn about this whole type crap. If you think I’m gonna let you just sit there and belittle my skills, then you’re wrong. I’m Ranma Saotome of the Saotome School of Anything Goes Martial Arts, and I accept your challenge./ He finished as he got into a ready stance.

Ayanna -- whose pain subsided -- looked at him in confusion. /You’re Ranma what of the what?/ She had never heard a Pokemon use such nonsense in introducing their self. The only thing she really understood was that she had just been challenged. /Fine, I guess I’m just going to have to teach you a lesson for talking bad about Zashi AND hurting me in my cute little nose./

//I’m sorry for interrupting this lovely meeting,// Shia announced in the minds of everyone present as she walked over next to Ranma, //but I am not going to allow you to take my ‘son’. If you attempt to do this, then I fear that I might have to get a little rough on you, Mr. Zashi.// Shia used an authoritive tone with some threat hidden within.

Zashi stalled for a moment due to the tone of the voice in his head, and this gave Kershaw enough time to grab him by the collar of his shirt and shake him. “Will you just end this damn foolishness already?!” The older man asked in anger. “I’ve seen people who attempted to take a Gardevoir’s child. You know what happened to them? They had their minds attacked so bad that they never recovered. Do you want to become a damn mental vegetable?!”

“But--” The teen didn’t get to say any other word before the older man knocked him unconscious. Turning his attention to Shia and Ranma, he gave an apologetic bow of his head. “Again, I am very sorry if this young fool worried you. My grandson can get overly excited and stubborn. I swear, I don’t know why that daughter of my allowed him to become a damn trainer in the first place.” The bearded man -- even though he was in his 60’s -- hefted the teen onto his shoulder and turned to Ayanna. “Come on, Ayanna. Let’s get your stupid trainer home and into his bed. Kershaw turned around and walked off, and he was followed by an Umbreon yelling at him for hurting her ‘sweet Zashi’ and for calling Zashi an idiot.

Shia glanced down and noticed a disappointed look on Ranma’s face. //Ranma, if you would have fought with that Umbreon, you would have lost. You were tired from your previous fight, and you had the disadvantage of being the weaker type and the lower evolution.//

/Feh, I would have beaten her./ Ranma stated with a confident smirk.

//No,// The Gardevoir responded forcefully, //you would have lost -- badly I might add.// This caused Ranma to lose his smirk. //Come on, let’s get back. I think that my children are getting hungry, and I don’t want to dawdle any longer.//

/Yeah, yeah, I’m coming./ Ranma stated dejectedly as Shia handed him the Pecha Berries that he had collected earlier.

//After we eat, I’ll help you train for a little while.// Shia provided with a slight smile. This caused Ranma to stop in his tracks and glance up at her.

/But I thought you said--/

//Yes, I did say that you won’t be able to train for a little while.// Shia said as she tapped her chin in thought. //However, I feel that there are several things that you should learn. I also think that you’ll need more training because of the encounter we just had.//

/What do you mean?/ Ranma asked curiously.

//Well, those two are the second ones to know of your ‘un-Ralts-like’ abilities, and two accounts of sightings and battles will grab more attention than the child from a few days ago did. Because of this, there will be more people that will come around the area to try and see if the rumors are true. These people could even have stronger Pokemon, and so I think you need to learn how to employ more of your psychic power. This will allow you to get ready for what is to come.//

Ranma was silent for several moments as he digested what Shia had said. On one hand, he’ll be able to train and perfect his abilities. On the other, he might have to fight off some more of these Pokemon Trainers in the process. After thinking about this, his lips curled into a smirk. /I think I’m going to have some fun in this world after-all./ This caused Shia to sweat-drop and shake her head. /C’mon, let’s get back, eat, and then start training. I have to be ready for when these people start challenging me!/ Ranma shouted as he ran ahead.

‘Just what am I releasing into this world?’ The Gardevoir asked herself in both worry and amusement. ‘He’s an adorable child, though. Aggravating and annoying at times to the point where you just want to smack him, but he has an odd appeal to him that prevents you from disliking him.’ She thought back to what both the old man and she had said. ‘He’s not my child, but I don’t think I’d mind if he was.’ A soft giggle escaped Shia. ‘Listen to me; I can get attached so easily.’ Deciding to put it out of her mind for the moment, she caught up with Ranma as they headed back to the clearing.

xxA.Nxx

Whooha, another chapter finished.
Last edited by KonokoHasano on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:25 am

but it was so much fun to see him get his non-existent underwear in a not.
I know I know too early. But in addition to it being really cute that he's having fun annoying someone else it's also typoed on knot.

It's a good start. Isn't it a bit too early to get advice from such powerful + fameous legendary Pokémon?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:40 am

Great chapter so far. I'm pretty sure Ranma would react EXACTLY the way you desribed him here. ^Ranma meeting Mew would be nice, I agree. The flashback to Ranma's world is another excellent idea. Can't wait.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:06 am

The part about it possibly being too early to meet with Mew and Mewtwo makes a lot of sense. Perhaps the meeting could happen later on.

However, catching a glimpse of a legendary Pokemon wouldn't be a bad idea, and the Pokemon I've been thinking about him seeing -- other than meeting Mew and Mewtwo -- is Shaymin.
It's a tiny grass hedgehog that appears in flower fields, and can immediately purify an area and allow flowers to grow. It's an incredibly shy Pokemon.

The idea of Ranma briefly seeing a legendary isn't too bad of an idea. It's kind of like Ash witnessing Ho-Oh, and Dawn seeing Mesprit: Signifying the start of an adventure and life-changing event.

Dumbledork: Thanks, I was trying to get Ranma's personality to be spot-on.
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 am

I just figure when it comes to legendary and psychic it might be better for that to happen later after Ranma has at least half a clue. It's like it would be a painfully wasted opertunity for Ranma if he met up with them now and never found them again.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 am

You might be right about that. It would make more sense for Ranma to meet one quite a while after figuring out more of the world around him.

Something I was planning on would be having the current timeline be when Ash and co. are in Hoenne, while Ranma and Shia's family are in Kanto -- since the anime has shown that Kirlia and a few other species are in Kanto.

This would actually provide something later on for when Ash and co. arrive in Kanto for the Kanto Battle Frontier Saga. I was actually thinking of Ranma deciding to travel with them for a little while because of wanderlust. Ranma wouldn't become a Pokemon of Ash's or anybody else's, he'd just travel with them.
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:46 am

I know the timing would be a bit off but maybe you could have him beat up the Jiggly Puff that stalked them for a long time.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:26 am

Some more observations. It's interesting to see that Gardevoir is able to stay calm while teaching Ranma. It must be a chore for her. The interaction between the family and Ranma is great, and I'm pretty sure they already consider Ranma as a family member. I wouldn't be too surprised if Ranma called Gardevoir 'mom' very soon. I also liked Ranma's reactions to the different evolutions, and I can already see Ranma willingly stay female after his evolution into a Kirlia, just to avoid being seen as a guy in a tutu.

Do you have any plans for Team Rocket? And if yes, will you use Jesse & James or Butch & Cassidy? Or how about an entirely new team whose only goal is to capture the 'ultrarare' Ralts. Team could be called Calamity & Jane or Wild Bill & Hickok.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Andy2kk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:46 am

Would Ranma fight only Pokemon? Like a trainer, Ash even says he wants to battle and next thing he knows Ranma has knocked him into a tree. heh.....:)
Andy2kk
Senshi Cadet

Postby Draconis Stelanaris » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:02 am

Dumbledork, she was probably using the ability "Calm Mind" for the duration :D

And I can see Ranma geting into a situation like that with Ash...

Great story so far, too.
"And who said I was human, pray tell?" -Me
Come the Storm, Come the Flame, be thou Frozen those that opose!
Draconis Stelanaris
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Dumbledork: There's probably several times where she probably wanted to smash her head against a tree, but doing that just wouldn't look dignified, and it would embarrass her in front of her children. And so, with extreme effort -- and constant use of Calm Mind as Draconis suggested, -- Shia has been able to keep her cool. At least, for now >,>

I can imagine a couple amusing scenes with Ranma in male form as a Kirlia and suddenly snapping at someone for mistaking him as a girl. Of course, all this would just make another Pokemon or human go 'Okaaaay, the Kirlia is a little insane'.

I was also thinking about some Team Rocket members attempting to capture Ranma. Considering that throughout the anime and movies, there's been teams with names such as Jessie & James, Butch & Cassidy, Atila & Huh, and Annie & Oakley, creating a team consisting of two names that were either for one person in history or a duo would make sense.

Of course, there'd also probably be a few small-time poachers out there as well who'd try.

Andy2kk and Draconis: A meeting with Ash and co. means an inevitable meeting with Jessie, James, and Meowth. This also means that with the meeting of Meowth, Ranma runs the risk of going into the Neko-ken.

There was an idea that somebody had regarding the Neko-ken and Ranma's Ralts form. The idea was that considering the idea that many of the Pokemon species originated from Mew, each has a dormant Transformation ability, and because of the fact that only Ditto has multiple Pokemon DNA and all, only it can use the skill. However, with Ranma, the Neko-ken could mingle with the latent Transformation ability, and when Ranma goes into it, he ends up transforming into a cat Pokemon -- maybe a Persian.

Of course, Ranma wouldn't be able to transform into this form willingly, it would take the Neko-ken to do that. However, this also opens up an idea for an eventual way to transform -- temporarily -- back into Ranma's human form. It would only be temporary until the transformation wears out, but I'm sure that Ranma would end up having loads of fun. :lol:
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Using Bill Hancock's nickname makes me think of using a different team pairing. Maybe as Brothers. The Wild boys Bill and Cody Hancock? Just a thought.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby borgrabbit » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:08 am

Weren't their names 'Buffalo Bill Cody' and 'Wild Bill Hickock'. It could be Bill and Bill, Bill Squared, or Cody and Hickock.

Wikipedia—
James Butler Hickok (May 27, 1837 – August 2, 1876), better known as Wild Bill Hickok, was a legendary figure in the American Old West.

Wikipedia—
William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (February 26, 1846 – January 10, 1917) was an American soldier, bison hunter and showman
Old fart.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Today's cliche is next century's classic.
borgrabbit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:42 am

And as there's already a Butch & Cassidy, how about a Sundance & Kid?

Other possibilities: Billy & The Kid, Doc & Holliday, Wyatt & Earp :P :) :D

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:53 am

Oh boy. Looks like I need to brush up on my history of the American West. I wonder how I mangled it so badly.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Stories and C&C