Writer's Block Story (No Title Yet)

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Writer's Block Story (No Title Yet)

Postby nav » Wed May 31, 2006 3:32 pm

Having a little bit of a writers block with my other stories. Just wrote this to see if it would break my mind loose from its mire. I will continue this story probably is spurts as I work on the other stories first.
This is an alternate universe story and as such, some players may seem out of character.
Thoughts are in italic
No title as of yet.
The walk from her home to Sokanzan took about 30 minutes. Even though her injuries were almost completely healed her pace was half that of most people. The cherry trees were mere blobs in the early morning dusk, but their perfume spiced the air with its fragrance. While it was still dark, she could navigate the streets and paths to the hill’s observation platform blindfolded. Ever since coming to live here with mother the hill had become her favorite spot to watch the sunrise.
By the time she got there, the platform was already filled with tourists and some locals. She bowed respectfully to her new friends who had saved her a place by the railing. Watching the sun rise in its golden majesty over Matsushima Bay spreading its light like glistening diamonds across the sparkling water she could understand how early civilizations worshiped the sun.
The locals who had accepted the young girl as one of their own had a different show to watch. As the sun spread its glory across the bay, they watched the girl. At first, her smile was tiny, almost imperceptible, but then it grew to where it seemed to encompass her entire face. Her eyes, almost the color of the water below, sparkled with the glory of the sunrise. She became like the phoenix rising from its ashes to spread its fire and glory across the world.
She stood entranced until the beauty of the moment was lost in time until the following morning. The walk back was faster simply because she was going down hill. The fragrance of the cherry blossoms still filled the air, but now their beauty added to the magic that was a spring morning in Matsushima.
Finally reaching her small home, she didn’t call the traditional greeting on entering. Her mother had gotten home at midnight from the hospital in Sendai because of an emergency and wouldn’t be up for at least another hour, which would give her enough time to prepare breakfast.
She smiled. It was one such emergency which had brought her to this woman she now called mother. She remembered waking to pain and seeing an auburn haired woman looking at her with concern in her eyes. “Don’t worry about a thing, honey,” she had said. “I’ll take good care of you.”
“Mother,” she managed to ask even thought her jaw was broken. The word had seemed right then even though the woman explained that she was a doctor assigned to her case. She was barely awake when the accident occurred. The pain was the most excruciating she had ever experienced. She could feel her broken bones pulling apart and separating. It was the lady doctor who came at a run and deduced what had happened and how to correct the problem.
The first few weeks in the hospital were a haze of pain and surgeries fixing her broken body. The surgeries were successful in repairing her body, but not her mind. Her past was a mystery and she still did not remember her name. As time passed, she and the doctor became closer and closer. The authorities had no luck in finding the person or persons who had assaulted her or in finding her family and she knew when she was discharged she would go to an orphanage.
The dreaded day was drawing nearer when the doctor walked into her room and sat on the side of her bed.
“Why the long face, kiddo,” she asked.
“What long face,” she replied, forcing a smile.
“The one you were wearing when I walked in here,” she said.
“Oh, just thinking about things,” the girl replied, looking down.
“Now, don’t give me that. What is bothering you?”
She looked up and saw the concern on the doctor’s face. “I…I’ll miss you when I’m gone.”
“And why is that, daughter.”
“Wha…What?”
“I said, why is that, daughter. If you agree I would like to adopt you.”
“If I agree,” she yelled throwing herself into the older woman’s arms. “Of course I agree…Mom.”
They had a party the day “Ami” was added to the Mizuno registry. It was her birthday.
The memories of her life before were empty, her new ones were the threads that bonded mother to daughter with unbreakable ties of love. I may not know where I’ve been, but I know where I’m going.
The whistling of the tea kettle broke her from her reverie. Quickly setting the table and putting the tea on to steep she went to wake her mother.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
nav
Senshi Candidate

Postby Questara » Wed May 31, 2006 3:34 pm

Soooooo, is this a Ranma crossover?
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Questara
Senshi Cadet

Postby Rui Costa » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 am

Assuming it is and that "Ami" is actually Ranma, it would seem to me he was locked, beaten up, mushroomed, then adopted by Dr. Mizuno.
Of course, this is a wild guess based on assumptions. There is really too little of the fic to give much feedback on. Writing's good to my standards, but plot-wise there are missing clues. No physical description of Ami, not even if her age is around 13-14 or 17+... really... throw us a bone? ;)
Rui Costa
Initiate

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:01 pm

Hmm, no real indication this is Ranma like the other commenters think. But if Rui Costa is right, it would make the post here make more sense. Ami does sort of seem to appear out of nowhere in the Sailor Moon series, it's never really said that she lived in a different area before, only that's she's a genius and new to Juuban Jr. High.
Perhaps make it like this. Pluto found out that Sailor Mercury wasn't reincarnated like she was supposed to be because she hadn't been quite dead yet when the Queen sent everyone forward, but had actually been clinging to life. It was far too late to cause her to be reborn normally, so Pluto needed to find someone quickly who was about the age of the other senshi, someone who was a girl and had a pure heart.
Pluto found Ranma, beaten up and de-aged and locked by a team of Herb, and Ryoga. Ryoga for revenge, and Herb because he wanted to make Ranma weak enough to force to be his wife. Herb is about to take Ranma back to the Musk Kingdom, but Pluto interferes and defeats Herb. She then takes Ranma's battered form to planet Mercury, and realizes that the only way Ranma can be comfortable with herself is if she doesn't remember herself or her past, and the only way she can get allong with the cats is if the Neko-ken is erased from her memory. She uses some remaining Moon Kingdom technology to suppress all Ranma's memories until her powers fully develop, reaching the final form of Sailor Mercury, and then changes Ranma to be unrecognizable by fusing her pure heart crystal with the power of mercury and letting there be a little bleedoff of old appearances and abilities and memories of previous Sailor Mercuries.
Soon after the Sailor Scouts are reincarnated after the Galaxia saga, perhaps merucury would begin having memories of Ranma's life?
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Darth Thanatos » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:04 am

Rui Costa wrote:No physical description of Ami, not even if her age is around 13-14 or 17+

Actually...
nav wrote:Her eyes, almost the color of the water below, sparkled with the glory of the sunrise.

So blue eyes seem to point to the Ranma-Ami theory. Besides that, no additional info to go on.
Good start, though insuficient to judge.
Ne volnuites, Aeria Gloris

Midboss rank Z, promoted by "Ice Cream Thief" Himitsu on 2007-03-21
Darth Thanatos
"I am still a powerpuff girl!"

Postby Ahye » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:23 am

While I agree it looks like it's a Ranma as Ami story, doesn't Ami also have blue eyes? So that'd not necessarly mean anything. Something I noticed while reading up on Ami on one of the web pages is that it notes her likes as 'smart cats like Luna'. Well, in this story Ami apparently suffered some horrible accident which caused amnesia. Perhaps it was enough to wipe out Ranma's fear of cats.
Ahye
Senshi Cadet

Return to Stories and C&C