Out of Time, chapter 3

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Postby Anime_Freak317 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:53 am

WarGiver wrote:There is also the question on Ranma using the Umi... its sealed, so this might mean Ranma's promise to his father over the Shi Shi Hokodan might not be truthful.

The father, true. However it was given to his Mother. I think that might hold more weight than anything.
JoT is on hold..again. Legal issues and work modes have been incresingly harsh. Chapter is 25% done. Sorry.
Tear of the Lone Wolf P( :cry:
Anime_Freak317
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Trimatter » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:45 am

Howdy everyone!
I would like to thank everyone who posted here or chatted with me on this. Between what I read here, heard and the emails I have gotten it is clear that I have some more work to do on this. As I said earlier, the reason why I sat on this like I did was I was very uncertain about the chapter since it was so horribly complex. It may not seem like it, but I am juggling a lot of elements in this thing and after a while it turns into beating your head against the wall.
In my attempt to move things quickly, I think I went too far when I took my usually trusty chain-saw to this chapter and cut many scenes that would have explained/fleshed out things better. To give you a rough ideal of what was cut: At least two scenes with Ranma at the doctors office, Ranma and Nabiki talking, Ranma and Akane talking, some Genma stuff where it hints at his power of persuasion, Ranma speaking with Daisuke and Sayuri at the party, Nodoka speaking with the doctor, and other misc stuff.
I just guessing somewhere between seven and ten thousand words were cut in total - and I would have cut more, if one of my pre-readers hadn't talked me out of it...
*sigh* So I got "edit happy" on top of the other stuff. Live and learn.
So what I'll be doing: I'll be leaving this up in its current form until about 5:00 central time (US) today before pulling it down to work on it. To make it easier to manage, I'll will be breaking this into two chapters and deal with each half separately. At what point where the current chapter will be broken, I'm not sure of - it will depend on how everything comes back together once I go through the discarded scenes and figure out which ones need resurrecting and which ones need to be kept out.
I will post a second beta as soon as it is ready and I really can't say when that'll be. It will probably be a while since I have my work cut out for me.
Again, I thank everyone who took the time to look at this and point out things.
- Trimatter
Old Fart at Large
Trimatter
Senshi Candidate

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:10 am

Trimatter wrote:Howdy everyone!
In my attempt to move things quickly, I think I went too far when I took my usually trusty chain-saw to this chapter and cut many scenes that would have explained/fleshed out things better. To give you a rough ideal of what was cut: At least two scenes with Ranma at the doctors office, Ranma and Nabiki talking, Ranma and Akane talking, some Genma stuff where it hints at his power of persuasion, Ranma speaking with Daisuke and Sayuri at the party, Nodoka speaking with the doctor, and other misc stuff.

Oh my, that's at least five more scenes with Ranma in them. Yah, will be nice to see Ranma interacting with people.
Will fill in what lead up to the chapter's end events, and actually flesh the events out.
I just guessing somewhere between seven and ten thousand words were cut in total - and I would have cut more, if one of my pre-readers hadn't talked me out of it...
*sigh* So I got "edit happy" on top of the other stuff. Live and learn.

Yah, you did. Made the chapter very meager.
So what I'll be doing: I'll be leaving this up in its current form until about 5:00 central time (US) today before pulling it down to work on it. To make it easier to manage, I'll will be breaking this into two chapters and deal with each half separately. At what point where the current chapter will be broken, I'm not sure of - it will depend on how everything comes back together once I go through the discarded scenes and figure out which ones need resurrecting and which ones need to be kept out.

Good plan, and good idea when to break the chapter.
You shouldn't try to force events into a chapter. You should write as much as the situation calls for, and then split it in ways that work (as you're planning to do)
Again, I thank everyone who took the time to look at this and point out things.
- Trimatter

No problem. Anything to get this story up to the quality you deserve ^_-
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Materia-Blade » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Craaaaap! I missed it! Lol. Guess I'll have to wait for the edited version!
Hope it's good!
Wait... it's trimatter.
Pointless statement. It's never "Not" good.
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Stories and C&C