Ranma/Wheel of Time - a different take

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma/Wheel of Time - a different take

Postby Winchester » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 pm

So as not to jump in and take over the other thread with my own idea, I thought I'd make a new topic to post in, even if the title is similar... Also, this may in parts be similar to Cloud Dreamer's old Ranma/WoT crossover, which I haven't read in ages - I'm hopeful I'm being different enough to not be plagiarizing him, though.

The Ranma-verse part of the story starts out with the end of the Herb arc - Ranma loses, and the Kaisufuu is destroyed. Ranma vows to get a cure at any cost, and eventually tracks down a wishing item, and wishes for a cure to the curse - the problem is that the item can't bring the cure to Ranma, so Ranma is instead brought to the cure. Or near enough.

(Two reasons for choosing this place in the timeline: One, Ranma's curse is conveniently locked, which is important for later; two, this is before Ranma learns ranged ki-attacks, i.e. before the Moko Takabisha and the Thief Arts).

Ranma wakes up, feeling slightly sun baked, in the middle of a desert, with nothing but the clothes on her back. Knowing a little about desert survival, and backed by her ki, Ranma does her best to camp out, but eventually her resources start to run dry. She's picked up by a patrol of Nine Valleys Taardad Maidens of the Spear, who've been watching her for several days, similar to a previous instance when a girl walked into the waste alone.

When Ranma wakes up in camp, she doesn't immediately identify herself as a guy - he's not that dumb - but feels the camp out. There are only a few strong ki sources in camp, including one of the girls that brought her in, as well as the Wise One that's in charge of tending to her recovery. Curiously, there's only one strong source of *male* ki, and it feels wrong, for some reason. As Ranma spends a few days recovering, the male ki-source (a young man in his late teens) feels progressively stronger and more "wrong". Ranma sees the young man talking to the Wise One one day, and sees his features flash through absolute dispair, then determination - the next day the boy is gone, and all that's said is he's gone to fight the Dark One, which Ranma can't make heads or tails of.

Time passes, Ranma earns her status as a Maiden, and eventually figures a few things out - male "ki" users get sick from using it, and eventually turn insane - they're sent away before that happens, hopefully doing some damage to the enemy before dying; female "ki" users are conscripted into the Wise ones and stripped of warrior status (if they have any) to learn how to safely wield it. Only it's not really Ki, it's something different - and Ranma thinks it's likely she can do it too. She's not too hot on giving up her warrior status to learn how to channel, but eventually figures that this is the only way she'll get her old self back, and resolves to agree with no fuss when the Wise Ones call for her. Unlike her friend Aviendha who'd rather run away than give up her spears...

Since Ranma already has some Ki training, she hides it better than Aviendha does, and eventually settles on revealing herself when Aviendha gets called, so as to join her in training and make things a little easier at least. When Aviendha runs off with the expedition to the Wetlands, Ranma is coming right along, and after a long while, eventually joins Egwene and Aviendha in training post the revelation of Rhuidean, at which time she's been with the Aiel for a little over two years.

Here's a big part of my problem - I'm uncertain what kind of plot, outside of Ranma coming to terms with having to stay female, for years, and probably never being safe in male form while in this world, and the retelling of events through the books up to TSR from the Aiel point of view, that I can give the story. It's not until the introduction of the absolute chaos nexus that is Rand Al Thor that I can really take things off in a new direction... In fact, I don't think the main real divergence of the story will happen until the tail end of The Fires of Heaven, even. (That being where Ranma gets the drop on Lanfear, thus saving Moiraine - which would have untold consequences on the rest of the story...)

Anyone think this looks interesting?

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crystal » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:35 pm

(Two reasons for choosing this place in the timeline: One, Ranma's curse is conveniently locked, which is important for later; two, this is before Ranma learns ranged ki-attacks, i.e. before the Moko Takabisha and the Thief Arts).

In this time Ranma don't know Thief Arts but he know Moko Takabisha, HSH and HKD.
Crystal
Initiate

Postby Mitchell » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm

This is actually a nice idea. There are couple of things to think about though. As said while Ranma does not know the theif arts, he does have the Moko Takabisha. he knows the 'chestnut fist'(forget its proper name atm), how to achieve the breaking point, and the Hiruu Shounta Ha, leaving aside purely physical ki enhancement such as speed/streangh/durability etc.

I liked the part about Ranma noticing the only male 'ki' user, that was a good way to introduce the taint to Ranma.

Now a few thins to think about.

1) Is Ranma a Ta'varan. A Ta'varan was somebody who bent the pattern around themselves. It can be contained into a simple room or in the cases like Rand Al'Thor stretch out to warp the entire pattern around themselves. If Ranma is, how strong is he.

2) How strong in the power would Ranma be, or is his ability to use the power a direct result of ki training, such that he is a 'warped talent'. That is his ability to channel saidar/saidin would grow as her ki reserves grows to the point that eventually, say a LONG WHILE later she could match Lews Therin/Rand in raw power.

3) Remember that if Ranma joins the wise ones she has to go through the rings in Rhoudine (the city in the Aiel Waste) and see elements of her future much like Moiraine did, though I could see Ranma also walking through the pillars like a clan cheif/Rand did.

4)It might be better to have Aviendha run of to the wet lands and NOT have Ranma be part of the epedition. You could put some tention between the two charecters that way. Ranmas anger at Aviendha in particular. She exposed herself so that they could go through training together, only for Aviendha to run of without even inviting her or something like that.

5) Now this is the hard part. What talents/streanghs should Ranma have for his power. it is mentioned in the book that every person who channels has a stronger reaction to one of the elements than to the others. Men usually have this streangh with Earth or Fire, while Women usually have air and water, while it is equally likely for both to have a strong conection to spirt. The stronger a person is, the more likely they are to be strong in more than one element. Super strong people such as the Forsaken/Rand etc sometimes are very strong with all elements. What streangh should Ranma have with which elements, and does his curse change things either way.

6) What 'Talents' would Ranma have. For example Elaiyine has the power to create Ter'angreal and possibly angeral/sa'angreal's. Moiraine has the power to see Ta'veran, Egwene has the power to dreamwalk... Would Ranma have any of these talents? And could he 'develop' those talents by sheer willpower and studiing the weaves? I would think the ability to create ter'angreal would be central in Ranma's desire to return to male. In that he could create his own 'unlocking kettle', and do so without the help or questions that otehrs would ask if he asked for assistance.

However it is a very interesting idea, Ill look forward to your comments/reply
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Winchester » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks for the comments. To answer the points made:

0. I had forgotten what order the Shi shi hokodan and Herb arcs were published in - and neither Ranma nor Ryoga use their ki-blasts very often afterwards. They're definitely not used in the Herb fight, at least as far as I remember. (Ranma uses his on Hinako a couple of times; Ryoga uses his once at Jusendo, that's the only occasions I remember very well). Also, the Hiryu Korin Dan is a very, very limited-use attack - it pretty much requires that someone is using the Hiryu Shoten Ha on you to set it up, if I remember the description right. Not very versatile.

1. Ta'veren is the correct spelling, and you're right, Ranma is one. He's nowhere near as much of one as Mat or Perrin, let alone Rand, but he does change things by being around. Somehow. (I don't know exactly what changes to make without spinning totally out of control, here... :oops: )

2. I don't have a clue. While the top tiers (where Rand, Nynaeve, Alivia and the forsaken compete) are off limits IMO, Ranma could easily fall anywhere between Sorilea (enough to light a candle) and Egwene (would have been the strongest since the Breaking if not for Nynaeve). A good spot that wouldn't mess things up too much would be around Cadsuane's level (she's between Egwene and Moiraine in strength).

3. Yes, Ranma would be going through the rings of Rhuidean. Not sure if I'll let people know what he sees, though. Part of the fun is that it won't show *all* possible futures (which is why Moiraine will set herself up for heroic sacrifice in Cairhien, only to have Ranma steal her thunder through sheer implausible speed...). I don't think walking through the Crystal Gallery would be such a hot idea, though - Unlike Rand, Ranma doesn't have any Aiel ancestors. What would it show him instead?

4. Interesting idea. Not sure if it works or not, though. We'll see...

5. Ranma would most likely be strong in Air and Fire, seeing as most of his special attacks work with air and heat; he's likely pretty weak with Water (which doesn't like him much) and at most of moderate strength with Earth. Spirit is a wild card - he might be very strong, or indifferent. I don't know which way to go. I also don't think the curse would change anything - and it would take *forever* for the story to progress to the point where Ranma would even try unlocking his curse with the prospect of going insane when he does looming.

6. I don't know if Ranma needs a specific "Talent". At least not at the outset. Not everyone has really unique "Talents" - Ranma is really, really good at adaptation, to the point where creating new attack weaves would probably be his "Talent". Not sure if it should be called that, though.

As to how Ranma eventually gets unlocked... I'm thinking Nynaeve does it, eventually.

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby borgrabbit » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 pm

Don't know if I'll be any help weighing in due to my ignorance of the WoT series, but I feel pretty confident about the first six seasons of Ranma (which I have).

5. Ranma would most likely be strong in Air and Fire, seeing as most of his special attacks work with air and heat; he's likely pretty weak with Water (which doesn't like him much) and at most of moderate strength with Earth. Spirit is a wild card - he might be very strong, or indifferent. I don't know which way to go. I also don't think the curse would change anything - and it would take *forever* for the story to progress to the point where Ranma would even try unlocking his curse with the prospect of going insane when he does looming.

When Ranma learned the Hiryu Shouten Ha, he first had to learn the soul of ice, which would be something of an anti-heat move. I would not see ki use as channeling as it would be internal and not subject to isolation from ki as from the 'One Source' as a channeler would be. He would definitely know the Kachuu Tenshin Amaguriken, which is definitely a ki technique and would have a degree of immunity to heat from the phoenix pill. Unlocking the curse might be safe enough, in that if Ranma felt the bad effects of channeling as a male, sanity would only be a splash away. Also, being able to feel both sides of the source might give clues as to how to remove the taint?

6. I don't know if Ranma needs a specific "Talent". At least not at the outset. Not everyone has really unique "Talents" - Ranma is really, really good at adaptation, to the point where creating new attack weaves would probably be his "Talent". Not sure if it should be called that, though.

Yes, Ranma's greatest talent would be adaptability. The martial art skills have allowed him to defeat much more powerful opponents than himself. An overwhelming attack would be useless if Ranma created a virus-like weave that 'convinced' it to return to sender.

Ciao,
Wes
Old fart.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Today's cliche is next century's classic.
borgrabbit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:55 am

Thanks for the comments. To answer the points made:
0. I had forgotten what order the Shi shi hokodan and Herb arcs were published in - and neither Ranma nor Ryoga use their ki-blasts very often afterwards. They're definitely not used in the Herb fight, at least as far as I remember. (Ranma uses his on Hinako a couple of times; Ryoga uses his once at Jusendo, that's the only occasions I remember very well). Also, the Hiryu Korin Dan is a very, very limited-use attack - it pretty much requires that someone is using the Hiryu Shoten Ha on you to set it up, if I remember the description right. Not very versatile.

Fair enough

1. Ta'veren is the correct spelling, and you're right, Ranma is one. He's nowhere near as much of one as Mat or Perrin, let alone Rand, but he does change things by being around. Somehow. (I don't know exactly what changes to make without spinning totally out of control, here... Embarassed )

Perhaps Ranma magnifies emotional responces? So if a person was a bit irritated to him, in his presense it becames an all consuming rage etc? This explains the extreme responses of his Fiancies/rivals back in Nerimia etc.
2. I don't have a clue. While the top tiers (where Rand, Nynaeve, Alivia and the forsaken compete) are off limits IMO, Ranma could easily fall anywhere between Sorilea (enough to light a candle) and Egwene (would have been the strongest since the Breaking if not for Nynaeve). A good spot that wouldn't mess things up too much would be around Cadsuane's level (she's between Egwene and Moiraine in strength).

Now this is an important point. I see your decision to bar hm/her from the top where Rand and the forsaken compete. Its a reasonable point. Another person on that level could be quite worrisome. However what you have to understand is that Egwene/Aviendha and Elaiyne are NOT the strongest born after the breaking. They are teh strongest sinse the Hundred Year War where Arthur Halkwing tried to unify the world. However their streangh, which is about equal, was the average streangh of a female channeler in the Age of Legends. And would training with ki allow Ranma to exeed his limitations to use more power than he techniquclly sould.

Another point. men are usually stronger in the power than women, who have more control. Would Ranma's streangh change? I dont think so.

3. Yes, Ranma would be going through the rings of Rhuidean. Not sure if I'll let people know what he sees, though. Part of the fun is that it won't show *all* possible futures (which is why Moiraine will set herself up for heroic sacrifice in Cairhien, only to have Ranma steal her thunder through sheer implausible speed...). I don't think walking through the Crystal Gallery would be such a hot idea, though - Unlike Rand, Ranma doesn't have any Aiel ancestors. What would it show him instead?

Good point about the pillars, though it could be interesting in what Ranma see's.

As to how Ranma eventually gets unlocked... I'm thinking Nynaeve does it, eventually.

Not everybody has specific talents, true, however anybody about the level of power you mentioned probably has something. A incredible adaptilly would be a good talent, allowinghim to literally do anything with the power eventually (Like hundreds of years down the track). So he could learn to make Ter'angreal from Elayne, dreamwalking from the Wise Ones etc.

I don't think that Nynaeve should be the one to undo the curse. While being one of the strongest channelers, roughly equal to Moghedan, and very willing to stick to the problem, I can't see Ranma admiting the problem to her. One she is very arrogant sure of herself. While Ranma is to, I think that Nynaeve would get on his nerves. A amusing take on it would be that Matt eventually fixes the problem. Rememebr that in later books he has that Medallion that instantly negates any weave lade against it. Say Ranma touches it then steps hot ater or something. Depending on how you like to screw with Ranma, it could PERMENTATLY lock him, i.e. destroy the Jusekyo curse, or it could destroy the locking ladle weaves.

That reminds me of one other thing. Ranma is going to have to learn to sheild his dreams and FAST. The wise ones are dream-walkers, espeacilly Ayms(sp?). A new maden pops up, one that is absurdly skilled. They are going to go looking in her dreams, like they did with Rand...
SP
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crystal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:20 am

Shi shi hokodan is Book 20 and Herb is Book 24.
They use it but not against Herb. Ryoga used SSH when he fought with Lime http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/ ... 4-106.html
Before Ranma used HKD he attack Herb with HSH. Therefore he don't need someone for this.
Depending on how you like to screw with Ranma, it could PERMENTATLY lock him, i.e. destroy the Jusekyo curse, or it could destroy the locking ladle weaves.

If curse ALREADY is locked, how he will understand what Medallion PERMANENTLY lock him? =)
Crystal
Initiate

Postby Seraphim » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:08 am

Mitchell: It's Siuan (and Logain, Nicola Treehill) that has the ability to see Ta'veren, BTW. Just thought you'd like to know. :) ^.~
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:22 am

Frankly I'd like it if Ranma were to be placed in events because of the story... not because of some mystical plot device (coughta'verencough). It might even be nice to read that he _isn't_ ta'veren/avatar of chaos/whatever but still manages to shake things up.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:28 am

Moiraine at least knew that the three Ta'veran, and commented on it. How she knew if she could not see them (maybe a weave?) is up for debate.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Draconis Stelanaris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:38 am

A posible twist on the ta'veren could be that Ranma is not one. He Atracts them, not realy afecting the weave derectly but pulling ta'veren together in a way....

Just a thought.

And the Wise ones might just keep Ranma so she can pass things like the Amaguriken on to the maidens. Much staby goodness... :lol:
"And who said I was human, pray tell?" -Me
Come the Storm, Come the Flame, be thou Frozen those that opose!
Draconis Stelanaris
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Winchester » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:10 am

Mitchell wrote:Moiraine at least knew that the three Ta'veran, and commented on it. How she knew if she could not see them (maybe a weave?) is up for debate.

I don't remember exactly when she did comment on it - I know she'd figured out at least one of them was ta'veren by the time they left Emond's Field, and I'm pretty sure Min confirmed that all three were ta'veren when they reached Baerlon. Loial could tell they were ta'veren just from hearing their stories - Moiraine probably could too.

I really need to reread the first book again...

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby P.H. Wise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:18 pm

All I can suggest is to focus on Ranma's direct experiences as much as possible. Don't let the story turn into more or less a transcription of the WoT books except with 'Ranma said...' and 'Ranma did...' thrown in every now and then. We've already read that story. It's called 'The Wheel of Time.' Even if Ranma doesn't directly alter the overall story for a while, you can let that overall story go on in the background and let Ranma and how he finds his way in the world be the foreground.
Hige sceal þe heardra || heorte þe cenre,
mod sceal þe mare || þe ure mægen lytlað.
P.H. Wise
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Another suggestion for the curse

Postby pspinler » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Just another suggestion for the curse. Instead of leaving Ranma locked for the entirety of the story, Allow him to find out relatively early how to unlock the curse. Make it sometime shortly after meeting the warrier maidens. Typically, he'd impulsively and immediately unlock it.

This, of course, now leads to all sorts of interesting problems for him, as he has to try to hide his male identity. Eventually, he'd fail, leading to all sorts of interesting in story complications.

-- Pat

ps. Yes, this is a biased suggestion, since I dislike pure Ranma-chan stories.
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

Postby Mitchell » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:34 pm

While amusing it would not fit into a really good WoT crossover. It would be more engaging ot have the goal of finding out how to unlock the curse, and teh fear of the taint as a major issue with Ranma.

More to the point, without the goal of finding out how to unlock his curse, Ranma would probably just up and leave the waist, which kind of ruins the purpose of having him learning alongside Egwene/Aviendha.

An interesting twist would be if Ranma focused on the Dreamworld like Egwene. It not only lets you spy on people around the world, it also allows for silent assasinations (though I doubt Ranma would like that effect much).

Though I do agree it would probably have Ranma as a good all rounder with her talent being an ability to learn a little/moderate amount about every talent.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Ideas