Ranma of the Stars (Ranma/Kirby idea)

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma of the Stars (Ranma/Kirby idea)

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 pm

:lol: You read right; it's an idea for a Ranma/Kirby crossover. Oh what my mind comes up with at the oddest of times.

The idea originated as just a small crackish idea that has managed to evolve into something possibly more. There are basically two different scenarios where this could take place.

Scenario #1: Take the tried-and-true 'Ranma falls into a different spring at Jusenkyou' formula. Only this time, add the fact that Ranma now has the ability to inhale virtually anything and has the ability to copy almost anyone's abilities or characteristics for a certain amount of time. As such, the timeline would end up turning very different.

Scenario #2: This one takes place at the end of the Ranma 1/2 manga. It's a 'what if' to a thought about the cask that everyone is fighting over accidentally contains something different than spring of drowned man water. The reason for this is that the Jusenkyou Guide made a slight mistake and thought he grabbed the man water.

So, what happens is that something different happens that causes the cask to fly at Ranma, break, and spill the water all over him. Needless-to-say, certain individuals aren't happy to see their 'cure' wasted like that. It's then, however, that they notice that Ranma -- instead of being male AND human -- is now a small pink... thing.

With the second idea, there are two possibilities...

1.) The Kirby curse completely overwrote the girl curse, and so Ranma now turns into a small pink puffball with the ability to inhale things like a vacuum cleaner.

2.) The Kirby curse mixes with the girl curse, and so Ranma now turns into a FEMALE small pink puffball with the ability to inhale things like a vacuum cleaner.

Whichever change happens, it's understandable that various people will have a wide variety of reactions to this change. Some could be bad, and some others could be worse.

An extension to this is that due to 'Kirby' awakening/being revived, the small space ship/warp star that Kirby crashed to Earth on eventually re-activates and manages to locate Ranma. Ranma ends up slightly curious over the ship/star and checks it out... only to fall in/on it and accidentally activate it. This causes him to go traveling with no idea how to control it at all.

With this, Ranma would find himself traveling through outer space, randomly visiting a few places, and possibly landing on Pop Star/Dream Land. Whether the video game or anime timeline is used is the question.

One of the amusing things would be to see Ranma manage to copy certain abilities from those in Nerima.

Ryoga: Could end up copying his strength... along with the Bakusai Tenketsu

Mousse: Mastery of Hidden Weapons

Akane: Bad cooking = good weapon

Ukyo: Combat spatula and flinging okonomiyaki from seemingly nowhere.

etc.

Even if Ranma loathes the change of form, he'd still probably find himself interested in the copy ability.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Vilkath » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:47 am

Hmm I think perhaps the option with Ranma getting cursed to be like Kirby durring the wedding be best. Combined with the star ship activating and taking him to out space, as it detects it's owner 'kirby' once his curse sets in. This could take a week, a month what ever long till perhaps Ranma gets caught using his ability enough to draw the starships attention.

I like that idea because you can still have some quality moments with Ranma in Nerima, but eventauly move on. The nerima jokes and reactions most likely wear thing pretty fast imo. Plus despite it's cute nature most the kirby style attacks are pretty lethal.. not sure how well they work in the Ranma 1/2 setting. I mean if Ranma inhaled Ryoga he get his abilies, but if it was just a bandana or mouses knife he wouldn't imo. They just give him sword or cutter ranma.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 am

There's two other possible angles to this whole idea as well.

The first angle is that long ago during the war between the Star Warriors and Nightmare, one of the warriors' ship was sent off course and found its way to Earth. There, he/she fell to Jusenkyou and crashed into one of the springs. What kind of species the warrior was -- and their abilities -- is a question.

A second angle is that the lone Star Warrior survived crashing on Earth, and his/her appearance was close enough to that of a human so that he/she could walk around without any issue, or there's a possibility that whoever it was could shapeshift and took on a human form.

That same warrior was stranded on Earth, and so he/she lived out the rest of her life on the planet, but also fell in love and married. As you can guess, this means that Ranma would be a descendant.

Then there's an even more possible third angle that someone brought up when I posted this idea on the Fanfiction Forum. Earth could end up being overtaken by Nightmare, and most of the Nerima cast manage to somehow evacuate off of Earth. Something ends up happening, and Ranma gets separated from everyone in a much smaller ship and crash lands onto Pop Star.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Re: Ranma of the Stars (Ranma/Kirby idea)

Postby Jomasten » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 pm

KonokoHasano wrote:Ryoga: Could end up copying his strength... along with the Bakusai Tenketsu

Mousse: Mastery of Hidden Weapons

Akane: Bad cooking = good weapon

Ukyo: Combat spatula and flinging okonomiyaki from seemingly nowhere.

etc.

Even if Ranma loathes the change of form, he'd still probably find himself interested in the copy ability.

Lol, that's something to think about.
Ryoga = Fighter Kirbynma
Mousse = Sword Kirbynma
Akane = (Bad) Cook Kirbynma/ Hammer Kirbynma
Ukyo = Spatula Kirbynma/ Cook Kirbynma...

Hmm... Cologne = Ghoul Kirbynma?

It really is an interesting idea. I'm kinda ashamed I haven't read up to the wedding yet, but I rather agree that it should occur somewhere in that timeline.
[SILENCE! You are distracting my concentration to distract myself.]

[Otherwise, I will distract you enough that you can concentrate on distracting yourself!]
Jomasten
Senshi Cadet

Postby stratagemini » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 pm

It's certainly interesting in amusement value. But I can't see this possible working out as more than a oneshot. or a series of vignettes focusing on different points in the canon. Like training in the KachuTenshin Amaguriken. Kirby style. Or Ranma's attempts to make himself known to the Tendos as a pink fluffball with limited dialogue abilities accompanied by a giant Panda.

Or Ranma's various fights. It would be interesting as a series of excepts from Canon about how things changed. Probably not as interesting as a fully fleshed out story.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Anime_Freak317 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:11 pm

I'd say leave Ranma-chan as a huminoid female. Make her about 4'6" instead, turn her hair and eyes pink, and unlock her ability at the dinner table when she accidently sucks in Nabiki's account book. Just imagine the possiblities that could ensure when Ranma retains Nabiki's 'buisness' deals. With the secrets out, 'she' would be forced to act as her honor would not allow anything different.

Oh, and take Nabiki down a peg or three. I like her, but she can be tooooooo much of a biatch sometimes.
JoT is on hold..again. Legal issues and work modes have been incresingly harsh. Chapter is 25% done. Sorry.
Tear of the Lone Wolf P( :cry:
Anime_Freak317
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:04 pm

that's really not constructive criticism or a helpful comment, Anime_Freak317.

For one thing, that changes the entire idea to something radically different. for another, Kirby's powers don't work that way, and for a third. That's not a story, it's maybe a scene at best, probably not even that.

Back on the original topic, I don't know enough about the anime to really comment on the plot of that, but here's something that you'll need to deal with regardless of what the plot of the anime is. If you have Ranma taken off planet and meeting Kirby's supporting cast, then you have to make sure you're still dealing with Ranma as a character and not Kirby as a character. What sort of reactions would the denizens of Kirby's world(s?) have to a human, who's built with a very different style in mind in terms of looks. Would Ranma feel ostracized in his human form for instance?

Another thing you need to be careful of is to keep from railroading Ranma into Kirby's roles and behaviour, otherwise this risks being a fic about Kirby who turns human with hot water rather than one about Ranma.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Anime_Freak317 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:28 pm

stratagemini wrote:that's really not constructive criticism or a helpful comment, Anime_Freak317.

For one thing, that changes the entire idea to something radically different. for another, Kirby's powers don't work that way, and for a third. That's not a story, it's maybe a scene at best, probably not even that.

How do you not see it as constructive criticism? Usagi was suggesting an idea for the curses mixing and I threw an idea as to how 'she' would look. If Ranma looked too much like a little pink ball, then that would change the type of storyline that has tormented writers for years. Which is mostly 'same-species gender-changer' for our favorite aqua-transexual. As for Nabiki, true, they can be made for a scene or two, but ideas can be based off of them. I got that idea for 'Dreams of an Angel' and thought it would be a nice one too.
stratagemini wrote:
Back on the original topic, I don't know enough about the anime to really comment on the plot of that, but here's something that you'll need to deal with regardless of what the plot of the anime is. If you have Ranma taken off planet and meeting Kirby's supporting cast, then you have to make sure you're still dealing with Ranma as a character and not Kirby as a character. What sort of reactions would the denizens of Kirby's world(s?) have to a human, who's built with a very different style in mind in terms of looks. Would Ranma feel ostracized in his human form for instance?

Another thing you need to be careful of is to keep from railroading Ranma into Kirby's roles and behaviour, otherwise this risks being a fic about Kirby who turns human with hot water rather than one about Ranma.

I'd have to agree with this assesment too. One thing about Ranma too is that he doesn't like free power-ups. I'd have to see his resolve weakening a bit to really get into using these powers on a more perminant basis.
JoT is on hold..again. Legal issues and work modes have been incresingly harsh. Chapter is 25% done. Sorry.
Tear of the Lone Wolf P( :cry:
Anime_Freak317
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Vilkath » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:43 pm

I could also see Ranma having issues with losing his powers when he spits out, swallows or what ever the item. I can see ranma accepting the Kirby ability eventualy, his martial arts style is all about taking the skills and abilities of your enemies and using it agains them. What I could see Ranma having issues with is the way the kirby copy ability is temporary and won't come back unless he has access to the item/person again.

Plus Ranma was always one to try to go beyond what his enemies could do and make a move his own, to me I think the limits of standard Kirby copy would get to him with time.

In Ranma 1/2 terms it would be like him only knowing the speed techinque once, then never being able to use it again or only being able throw one Ki blast when he's fighter kirby but never again on his own. To me that would greatly disturb Ranma, not only are these instant power ups without training but he can't retain them to really train in.

One way to compensate for that I suppose would be to have Ranma train his male human body to try be able to do what his kirby body could. It might make him happy to earn those moves, and be able to use them on his own at some point.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Ideas