Magical Girls, Spacebattles Style

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Magical Girls, Spacebattles Style

Postby Comartemis » Tue May 26, 2009 9:07 am

And now for something completely different.

This idea was proposed to me by AdmiralTigerClaw, an acquaintance of mine on AnimeSuki, who enlisted my assistance as a sounding board for a new fanfic idea of his.

The concept... well I'll give it to you the way he gave it to us before I try to explain things. When you read this, try to picture it as a movie trailer in your mind, it'll make more sense that way.

ATC wrote:“Mr. President?”

“I’ve got a busy schedule today.”

“You may have to put some meetings on hold then, this may take a while.”

“This better be good…”

“Sir, I’ll be frank… Do you believe in magical girls?”

“What?”

-My name is Alexander Remington. Most people just call me Alex. For years I worked for the CIA. I can’t tell you about the things I’ve done, but the basics are simple enough. My job was to take lives.-

“Take the shot…”
BANG!
“Target Neutralized.”

-Then, I stumbled onto something a little different.

“Wait, intruder spotted, how’d he get past the perimiter?

-Now my job is to save lives…

“Did you kill it?
“I think so…”
“What do you think these things want?”
“Us… Dead”

-All our lives.

“So what are we going to do about it man?”

“… Kill them first.”

+FLASH+

[AN URBAN LEGEND?]

=Eyewitnesses reported seeing a monster fighting a young …=

“Female, ages between twelve and sixteen, usually wearing extremely impractical clothing and manipulating supernatural abilities beyond scientific understanding….”

“Like those anime shows about love and justice?”

+FLASH+

[NOTHING BUT FANTASY?]

“This guy dropped twelve of our best agents and ate more gunfire than I’d like to imagine, and she dropped him in one shot.”

“We won’t be so lucky next time…”

+FLASH+

[WHAT IF EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT MAGICAL GIRLS…]

“I got her, she’s safe! But, Man you’re not going to believe this…”

“What?”

[WERE TRUE?]

“They really do wear miniskirts and high heals…”

[EXCEPT FOR ONE]

“She cries like a little girl…”

[SMALL]

“She IS a little girl…”

[THING]

“Fourteen deaths in the target demographic range in the last six months globally.”

“So? People are murdered all the time, we’re assholes that way. How are these related?”

“They were reportedly all killed by some kind monster man…”

[NOW]

- Whoever we’re up against isn’t as stupid as you’d wish they were.

“These girls are just kids, they couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

- They plan like we do.

“ How are they supposed to handle a war?”

- They hide like we do

“With Love in their hearts?”

- They KILL, like we do.

“Only if Love and Justice are the names of a new brand of Rocket Launcher.”

[THE RACE IS ON]

“We’ve got more firepower.”

“We don’t know where to hit them.”

“We have global intelligence.”

“They’re not from Earth.”

“We have NUKES!”

“We kill ourselves to kill them.”

“You’re really not making this easy….”

[TO FIND THE ONES THAT ARE LEFT]

“It’s like chess, we make a move, they make a move, first one to corner the king wins.”

“Then we’ll just need to turn our pawns into queens.”

“How? They’re glass cannons, one sniper round and they’re just as dead as anyone else.”

“I lasted this long being just human, so it should be enough.”

“You’re crazy.”

[BEFORE TIME]

“Am I really?”

“She just pulled a three foot staff out of thin air dude…”

[RUNS OUT]

“Maybe not…”

“Alex?”

“Yes?”

“What is this thing supposed to do?”

“…Willia-“

“Do I look like a magical talking cat to you?”

BOOM

“You’ve got to distract him while I prepare a spell!”

“How the hell am I supposed to do that? Chastise his ass with a self righteous speech?!”

“I have a plan!”

“What?!”

“We’ll use cartillery!”

“We’ll WHAT?”

+FLASH+

[MONSTERS]

“We know they aren’t stupid, but all signs indicate they’d get their asses kicked in a straight fight, so why are they even bothering?”

“They probably have a doomsday plan…”

“A WHAT?”

“A doomsday plan. A final goal they’re moving towards that will allow them to crush us all in one fell swoop…”

“Man! When are you going to stop taking all your notes out of those stupid children’s cartoons.”

“It’s gotten us this far hasn’t it”

“This is stupid man…”

+FLASH+

[GIRLS]

“Tokyo Tower, the Space Needle, Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building… So far we’ve found them all, dead or alive, within fifty miles of these landmarks..”

“They’re looking for something…. Or someone.”

“Who? We’ve assembled the surviving magical girls and kicked their ass on every continent now.”

“The last girl man…”

“Say again?”

“In your stupid cartoons, the Bad Guys would probably be after the last girl, the supposed Team Leader. You know the one man. She’d be the one who can fuck up their plans all on her own if she knew she could.”

“Then find her-“

“Already have a lead…”

“Who?”

+FLASH+

[MAGIC]

“Excuse me, could you let me out of here now?”

“YOU SPOKE!”

“What? Never seen birds talk before?”

“Well, normally its parrots…”

“Whatever. Look, you’re in danger.”

+FLASH+

[MEN]

“The president’s daughter?”

“That’s convenient…”

“No, it’s bad… very bad.”

“Man… She’s got to be the single most protected girl on the planet.”

“They know that, and they’ll be ready.”

+FLASH+

[IN THIS WAR]

“Armor pierceing!”

+FLASH+

[CAN]

“Fifity Caliber!”

+FLASH+

[WE]

“Anything that explodes!”

+FLASH+

[SURVIVE?]

“If it violates the Geneva Conventions, pack it!”

“Alex!”

“What?”

“What do you want me to do?”

“You’re a magical girl… You have a job.”

O_o?

“You get to save the world.”

MAGICAL
GIRL

"All our lives depend on making sure SHE stays alive..."

"OW!!!! I stubbed my toe..."

"We're all going to die, aren't we?"

RATED PG-13

And on that note we really need to get the spoiler tags working.

So what is this exactly? It is, to paraphrase ATC, "a magical girl show left out in the sun to leech all the sweetness out of it, then fused with bits of Jason Bourne and The X-Files. Now add guns and explosions and you've got this summer's blockbuster action movie."

The story follows Alexander Remington, a field agent for the CIA who encounters a demon while making a hit overseas after said monster offs his target then tries to do the same to his daughter. Alex engages the beast and saves the girl after an intense running battle, then reports back to headquarters with his story. Thinking that these creatures might be a matter of national security if there turn out to be more of them, the CIA gives Alex a long-term assignment to find out more about these things.

Several years pass and all Alex gets his hands on is worthless tabloid stuff, until a lead takes him back out east to Japan and lands him right smack in the middle of a battle between another monster and a magical girl, who happens to be the girl he saved a few years back, whose name is Natsuki. Between the two of them, Alex and Natsuki dust the monster and report back to the CIA that more information has come to light on the situation; however there's a very very big problem.

The enemies Natsuki faces are fairly typical magical girl fare and bear a strong resemblance to the Dark Kingdom, with one major exception: they have resources and tactics similar to those of human terrorist organizations. These guys are organized, powerful, and competent to the extreme, willing to use bombs, traps, snipers, and squad-level tactics the like of which you'd normally see in the US Army. Worse still, they have the standard issue "immune to normal weapons" power which Alex has only barely managed to overcome because he's a Badass Normal even by the standards of the CIA. This means that Natsuki and any other magical girls they can find are pretty much the only hope for stopping these things. This is also a very big problem, because Natsuki fights about as well as Sailor Moon does. Without the CIA's assistance -- and maybe even with it -- she has absolutely no chance of stopping these monsters.

The plot, as near as we've determined so far, revolves around finding any potential magical girls who've survived the enemy's hunter-killer teams, and training both them and Natsuki from washed-up warriors of love and justice into badass-beyond-compare magical supersoldiers capable of fighting on level ground with their enemies. Once this is done, the focus shifts into locating the Team Leader, who happens to be the First Daughter and unknowingly possesses an artifact potentially capable of snuffing out their adversaries once and for all, followed by the grand finale when the girls, Alex, and Alex's partner (voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, naturally) take the fight to the enemy's turf.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Magical Girls, Spacebattles Style

Postby Kilich » Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Hm. Looks like you'll be competing with Tuisto, who posted a similar thing a few days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3928

I'll repeat what I said in his thread. I love this!
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby bissek » Tue May 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Any specific series getting merged into this, or is it just somewhat based on an anime premise?

The first thing I think of with a mention of a magical girl trainer named Remington would be Ewan Remington, the veteran exorcist from Chrono Crusade, who, depending on which canon you use and whether or not he is capable of performing maintenance on his cybernetic parts without the help of their inventor, could very well be alive in the 90s or 00s.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Ran » Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Why is the CIA the only intelligence agency involved? This is a common threat that takes place on multiple continents. Surely governments OTHER than the US could and would be involved.
Ran
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Hm. Looks like you'll be competing with Tuisto, who posted a similar thing a few days ago.

That's not just similar, that's identical to a post ATC made of this idea on Spacebattles; the one I used was the one he posted on Animesuki's Nanoha boards, specifically the Original Characters thread. So either Tuisto is ATC -- which I doubt, because ATC didn't seem familiar with this website when I spoke to him about fishing for opinions here -- or he's trying to pass the idea off as his own. Gonna have to talk to him about that...

Any specific series getting merged into this, or is it just somewhat based on an anime premise?

Just the premise pretty much, though we are drawing a lot of inspiration from entries in the genre. The basic costumes have a very Sailor Moon-ish flair to them, but as the girls grow in competency they evolve into something more akin to this. Several characters, notably Natsuki, have their designs based on characters from Sailor Moon (Natsuki visually resembles Hotaru at my suggestion). The magic the girls use is very unconventional as a concept and bears some vague resemblance to Nanoha-style magic, but it's way more than just your typical fantasy fair.

Why is the CIA the only intelligence agency involved? This is a common threat that takes place on multiple continents. Surely governments OTHER than the US could and would be involved.

Good question, I'll have to ask about that. At the very least, MI6 is taking interest in the issue and dispatching an agent to assist with the case, but I haven't gotten too many details about her out of ATC yet except she's about 24 years old, talks kind of like Moneypenny from the James Bond movies, and if she lets her hair down and puts a red bow in her hair she looks like an older version of Minako.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 am

Heh. Just had a thought:

"Alex, if those things are immune to conventional weapons, how the heck did you kill the first one you met?"

"Their skin is super-tough, better than the best tank armor we've ever developed. But there are places were that armor has to be weaker to allow them normal functions. Ear canals, nostrils, the inside of the mouth... those are vulnerable points."

"Which one did you hit?"

"Er...."

"...Alex?"

"Okay, okay. I got lucky. The damn thing tripped on the rubble of a building it was demolishing while trying to get the girl, and one of my shots went straight up its butt. Happy now?"
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Comartemis » Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 am

*Blink*

Huh... wouldn't have expected that kind of humor out of you of all people, Larry.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 am

Then you haven't read any of my fan fiction. "Dinner at the Tendos'" is a good example that my writing can be quirky.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 am

I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

But really, it's about time. Anywho... I have been working on bits of this project. (Yes, some people are insane enough to go beyond toying with an idea...)

I've got the primary logo:

And I've also go the Crest I designed for that logo... which actually took me WEEKS to figure out. Story later.

Plus I'm working on the primary theme track at the moment.

You can listen to a Work In Progress mix here: http://sheezyart.com/art/view/2147016/

When it's complete, it will have vocal components as well. I have segments planned out in the spoilers below. There will be a combination of a solo Female singer (Alto), a solo male singer (Tenor) a Duet between the two, a full chior, prefferably pulling off Epic Latin Chorus bits. (I know how to do it already, I just need another stick of RAM so EWSQ Can load the big stuff I need to build vocals.) (I will also replace my shoddy drum hits with EW Stormdrums.)

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Journey to Destiny Suite: Awaken Gifted Child

Music Soft 1 (Sad)
-
Female Solo: (Natsuki's desciption)

I hear the sound of a heart on fire.
Flames of hope doused by mournfull tears.
Look to the sky, oh gifted child.
Feel the light that shines upon you.

Fast Music 1: (Journey Begins)
Male Solo: (Lightning Based Magical Girl currently with no name.)

I hear the sound of a heart that rages.
Thunder in the dark like an angry fist.
Sieze the future that's thrust upon you!

Chior Chorus 1 (Latin)

Awaken Oh Gifted One
Your Journey has just begun
Rise and face the challenge
Oooooooooooo......

Fast Music 2: (Journey to Destiny)

Male/Female Duet: (President's Daughter)

We hear the sound of a heart that's lonely.
Locked in the castle of iron and stone.
Soon you will see that you aren't alone.

Male/Female and Chior chorus:

All hear the sound of the hearts now beating
Light pouring forth as our hopes now rise.
Flee from the sound, all of horrid nightmares
Darkness recedes like a scattered mist.

(Chior: "Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!" 2X)

Male/Female Duet with above chorus backing:

See a heart of fire!
See a heart of stone!
See a heart of a rage
Now they'll never be alone!

(Chior: Ohhhhhh!!!!")

Feel the voice of thunder!
Feel the warmth of flames!
Feel the earth beneith your feet
and never doubt them in this moment...

*GAP*

Chior Climax 1: (In Latin)

Rise oh gifted child...
sieze this day of your destiny
You've come far on this fated journey
Descendant of the Valkyrie.

Repeat Chior Climax in Latin, up key. Overlayed with below in english.

Male/Female intermittent:

F: I hear the sound of a heart on fire.
M: I hear the sound of a heart that rages.
F: I hear the sound of a Heart that's lonely.
FM: We hear the sound of the hearts now beating!

ALL:

Ohhhhhh.....

Chior: (Latin)
Sieze your destiny! X4

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

(Gap... Slow music)

Finale, slow, Male Female intermittent.

F: I feel the warmth of the summer sunlight.
M: I feel the breath of cool spring breeze.
FM: We feel the strength of the World around us.
FM: All feel the love from three hearts now beating.

That's all for now. As soon as Arty gets back where I can work with him on a regular basis or work here, we can get back to fleshing things out more.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Good to see you, Tiger. I see you got your signup issues sorted out.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Those signup ninjas are pests y'know? I think I had to fight a dozen of them. Inverse Ninja Law made it easy until the end when there was only one left... Then it was like. "I'ts on now!" I think he used everything Ask a Ninja Ninja said wasn't allowed at Kushicon or... whatever con he did a podcast about... Lemme check.
AKON.

Okay... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbyi-8d6AH0

Everything he didn't take to AKON.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Ouch. I recommend getting Dr. McNinja to take care of them for you next time.

Anywho, since you're new here I recommend kicking off an introduction thread next time you have some time on your hands so you can get properly acquainted with the locals. Be on the lookout for cheese muffins, though...

BTW, I'm a much more frequent lurker on Fukufics than I am on AnimeSuki these days even if I don't post as frequently as I used to; hang around a while and I'll bet we'll get this thing moving right quick again.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm

this really could be amusing to say the least.....but the thing is i can see the cia or someone trainging the girls to use more off beat waepons though....
but also getting the use of nomal guns upgraded somehow to work though.....

there is just the thought of one of the girls liking to use 00 buckshot....
mr youma...meet mr 12 gague.....uuuuuhhhhhhhhhh
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:51 am

Well, to get things started as far as what I have in mind. I envision at least this first story in movie format.

I should probably get a few details out of the way concerning the backstory.

"Magical Girl" takes place in my 'Zeropoint' universe. Something I've been developing on the back burner since 03.

I always had my Zeropoint story, and some kind of random trope lampshading concept for some kind of Magical Girl story in mind, but never really had an idea of what to do with it until I listened to the Xray dog track 'Darkest Empire' (See the first post.)
That's when it took off in my head and I had that little 'trailer' conceptualized in about an hour and I posted that over on spacebattles just to reaction test. I liked the results enough to keep the project.

ANYWAY.

Starting with Zeropoint back history. Things start actually with a War that occured 20,000 years ago of such epic nastiness that it broke a galaxy spanning civilization. I won't get into the details of the war because those details are really only important in the plot of Zeropoint, not Magical Girl.

But the details of it that are relevant are General Sun Tsu (He's more than just a historical figure in my story. He's actually a quite still alive character. Too many details here to elaborate at this time, or I'll get off topic.) Gener Tsu is CoFounder of the School of Valkyrie. A kind of combat school that takes Gods/Goddesses and turns them into living incarnations of battle. Think Ah My Goddess Lind, but scarrier in action.
Anyway. That's the elites of the school of course... every school has the training for the regulars. Sun Tsu had an honor guard for a time. Quite capable fighters in their own right. But being an honor guard, they're more or less decoration.

So historicly, Tsu settles down on earth and his Guard disperses into the local population some time between now, and his Vacation before he settled down. (Yeah, he calls that time he spent in China as a conquering General a 'vacation'... 'The Art of War' is nothing but some notes he was preparing.)

Anyway, give us a few thousand years for this guard to mingle and have descendants and fast forward to modern earth. Said descendents know nothing of their heritage.

Now, to get things going in the dramatic sense. The antagonists are little more than some assholes who see Tsu and his (now 'a few thousand times' removed) Honor Guard as trouble for their plans. They're more or less your Generic, greedy sonsofbitches wanting revenge for the attrocities man kind has done to them on earth. (All that monster killing/vampire hunting and stuff yknow... These guys have feelings too.)

So anyway, the plot of the story begins with the first major offensive of this guild of nasty guys. From a Sailor Moon standpoint, these guys are the Dark Kingdom... only they're bigger assholes. And they're smart. They learn and operate like a commando unit or delta force, and move to take out the descendants of Tsu's honor guard. (They won't go after Tsu himself... you don't attack the guy who fought an interstellar war and went on to found the school of the most elite badasses in the galaxy unless you've taken a few levels in badass yourself, or have a serious plan for pulling it off.)

The prologue of the story introduces our Male lead, and our female lead. She loses her father, and gets traumatized, and he gets to kill his first monster. Of course... they part ways because a CIA agent who was originally supposed to make a hit on the guy until the 'monster' stepped in does not really want to be around to talk to the Tokyo Police Department about why he has a PSG-1, and what he was doing on a rooftop. He gets to go home and report to whoever is in charge of him at the CIA.

That pretty much deals with the pre-title segment of the story.
After the title, it's act one. And it's two years later.

Gods eye view of this story, the villainous monsters have actually made a good offscreen showing for themselves. They've killed a number of the descendants of Tsu's honor guard. And they've begun to build whatever ultimate doomsday plan it is monsters come up with. (Haven't fleshed a good believable Doomsday Plan out yet.)

The viewer perspective comes back to our male lead... in the two years since the 'Tokyo Nightcrawler Incident' as he calls it... he's been made a field agent of the newly spawned, poorly funded, and laughed at (by fellow workers) Department of Paranomral Affairs. Think X-files, but lame, and in some basement of some commercial office building in some other city, rather than a snazzy office at CIA HQ. Obviously, someone up top took the report seriously enough to consider it a National Security risk to the US to actually make the department. Unfortunately, all they ever get stuck dealing with is the occaisional popup cult, and investigating tabloid stories. But they do manage to keep tabs on a number of unusual incidents that occure here, there, and everywhere. Just, everything is so seemingly unrelated that no answers show up.

So the idea of the plot in the first act is that out of strings of reports our lead is reading, a lot of details that those of us who are Genre Savvy recognize flash by him, but it doesn't click. It takes an Epiphany moment, eating cerial late at night watching one of his Anime. Yeah, guy's a low level Otaku... And would you believe I hope to have him Watching an Episode of Sailor Moon while eating cherios and reading some newspaper story? Anyway. He's more or less half watching it when he just kind of glances at it, and reviews a story about a strange series of animal attacks and unsolved murders, in which the victims are-

-Female, ages between twelve and sixteen, usually wearing extremely impractical clothing and acting very strangely-

Ephipahny click, look at TV, look at news report. Look at Sailor Moon again... He breaks out the records and sorts them. And he starts making the Genre Savvy connections.

So he takes this realization to work. His partner thinks he's finally cracked.

Did I mention his partner? I keep envisioning him as Samuel L. Jackson in his 'Yo foo!' persona. His partner of course, was with him That Night and got stuck in the unit. He saw the thing dead, but is rather, NOT happy about being in what he considers a joke department. And he voices his complaints rather regularly. He's walking sarchasm and voices everything that's absurd.

So his partner thinks he's nuts to chase stories about schoolgirls with superpowers as the big connection. He voices this noisily every step of the way. (Recall the sarchastic commentary that litters my trailer.) And this is what launches them on a crash course back to tokyo... to Find that girl, before it's too late.

The rest of the story of course becomes an ever more frantic race against time as they discover just how 'Jason Bourne Smart' the villains really are. Along the way we pick up our magical girl, and she's just as hopeless as Season 1 Sailor Moon's practical fighting skills. But by the end of this story, she'll take a few levels in badass.

Now, plot asside we'll also get introduced to an MI6 Agent about early to mid-film who has similar issues to deal with and decides to work with them. She of course, ends up being the 'mother figure' to our growing team of 'agents and superheroines'... As a concept Easter Egg Arty is partially responsible for, her name is Katrina...(AKA: Kat most of the time.) she's blond, British, and if you tie her hair up with a ribbon, she looks like a certain Sailor Senshi.

I also have only preliminary concepts for the other charcters, but our lightning element girl will be a slightly more mellow Asuka knockoff. (Because a bitchy german girl seems about right for lightning. Plus we need someone who'd be on the same wavelength as Samuel L. Jackson's character.)

Of course, as kind of another movie theme lampshade... the third Magical Girl (Only three left alive) just HAS to be the daughter of the President of the United States. (Talk about your high profile targets...) And to keep in the line of the magical girl items, she has a Pet Parakeet. Funny thing about this parakeet... it can talk. And we don't mean talk like a bird. We mean hold a wonderful little conversation. Or at least, would have a wonderful conversation if the Bird wasn't such an ASSHOLE. (Imagine a three way conversation with Jackson, The Bird, and Asuka Clone here...)

Anyway, moving along here, I have things I've done to bust justify and subvert the 'standard components' of your average magical.
In a sense, since I connected it to Zeropoint, I automatically have an entire system of magic, methods of artifacts, and a very EPIC scale universe as my sandbox... One of the things I decided to make use of is the Perspective issue.

Let me put it like this. In magical girl genre fiction, you have the various Plot Devices. Items of Great Power... say, the Ginzo- bleh Silver Crystal. It's a plot device. It's the Great Item of Power. Well, perhaps if I change the perspective... the Great Items of power are REALLY just trinkets and toys compared to TRUE items of power.

Let's start with the Magical Girl standard... the Skimpy uniform. Sailor Fuku... whatever. Who fights in this thing? It has the protectiveness of swiss cheese. It's a short skirt that doesn't protect the legs or the head. But without it, the Magical Girl doesn't look the part.

Okay, I have an answer. Perhaps really, it's NOT meant for battle. Recall now that Tsu's troops were an Honor Guard. What do Honor Guards wear? Cerimonial Uniforms. Just like a Marine Corp 21 Gun Salute in Class A uniforms. Those things aren't worn for fighting.
So I broke it down with Arty's help. The 'classic' magical girl wear is a Cerimonial outfit. Not meant for combat, but it's the first thing they found.

In story, I plan to have them discover that even for impractical garb, it's pretty tough stuff. (Plan to include a scene where they set it up on a dummy target and shoot it with a rifle... and it stops the rounds better than kevlar.) Of course, as we level up our female lead, our Male lead will Practicalize her outfit a little. She'll get combat boots instead of high heals, as well as protective pads for the knees and elbows.
Once she Takes A Level in Badass, I plan to have a second, Light Battle Dress... which actually looks like it was meant for dealing with fighting. It'll have armored boot with climbing shin guards, matching padding, armored chest padding... A cross somewhere between armor, and style. And it REALLY IS good stuff for a fight.

(None of this of course, holds a torch to Sentinel Armor that Valkyrie Elites have, but I need not go on a Tangent with that save to say that Sentinel laughs at Contact Nuclear Detonation.)

Killing two birds with one stone is the ever oddball requirement of the Magical Girl genre, the 'Transformation Device'... Be it a stick, a stone, an amulet... whatever. It holds the key to their abilities.
In this case, it's one of our early plot devices. The way I break this down is that the 'Transformation Device' is just a uniform storage device mixed with a magically powered, telepathic universal translator. A kind of swiss army knife for the Honor Guard. A convenient trinket on the galactic scene, but not all that important.

In the eyes of the story perspective however, it's important. It gives our Magical Girl cast access to their 'magical outfits' as well as a few benificial side effects.

See, one of the other birds killed with a stone is addressing how a magical girl just has the right attack pop into their head. Well, the way I've set up magic in this universe... learning to use it is a combination of blood, skill, and knowing the right language. Notice that last part? Yeah, it's important. Part of the side effect of having a universal translation object that implants the translation directly into your mind is the ability to learn at an accellerated rate. So, if you happen to have the translator on your person, have at least some magical talent, and get stuck in a situation where you REALLY wish you knew how to throw say, a fireball... Well. since the translator knows how to translate the desire to throw a ball of fire into a format compatable with actual magic... 'POP!' The next thing you know, you just somehow know that doing X motion and X phrase in this mindset will do something you want... and [Lina Inverse] 'FIREBAAAAAALL!!' [/Lina Inverse]

Incidently, this works on martial arts too.

Unfortunately, this only works on what is essentially learned behaviors. (Martial Arts is a large portion muscle memory, which is learned behavior.) It can't teach you to be Grand Admiral Thrawn and plot military tactics just by glancing at some artwork.

Anyway, this brings us to The Item of Great Power! [/BigHugeReverbVoice]

Once again, I'm keeping with the 'This isn't the ultimate weapon, it's a toy!' theme of perspective.

The Item of Great power in this story gets used at first to amplify magical attacks a hundred fold and make them into super finishers. The villains want this item, but not for that reason.

In reality, using it as an amplifier isn't even USING it. The object isn't some kind of awesome booster... That was never its function. It's a tactical field manager with an effective sense range roughly the size of the Earth. It projects a 3D holographic simulation of the area that acts much like a glowing tangible version of Google Earth. And it will display information about things it detects. This one device could be used to plot the exact position of every military asset on the planet from troop formations to the location of a B-2 in flight to the quietest submarine. All in real time. (It's magic yo!) Up until the end of the story, everyone's been getting this big old power boost off its BATTERY!

And this all works so well.

From the regular joe human perspective. All this magical girl stuff is viciously powerful and a good trump card in regular human fights... But they seem unusually weird and impractical from anyone with any military experience... it's just totally absurd.

In reality, the instincts of the military veterans are correct. These trumped up super weapons and mega gear are merely simple assisting equipment meant for people of a civilization who considered anything short of full scale galactic warfare the equivilant to a gangland knife fight. A real magic weapon by a real trained magic warfighter like the Valkyries scales out something like this.

Megumi, lancemaster of Valkyries, armed with Regulus and Sentinel, considers a fight with a completely mobilized First Cavalry Division (The one at Fort Hood, Texas) to be nothing more than an eight second mild warmup exercise.

But that's the fun of this. We can bridge the Magical Girl Genre here and justify everything within' a larger picture while holding to a fun story and stay in perspective of the average human right up to the end. Then pull the big reveal.

Sun Tsu: *Serves you a Ramen Bowl* "This thing? You're using it for WHAT? No, no. You're doing this all wrong. I mean, if it works for you, that's fine. But you're using what is essentially the battery to a GPS display to power your laser cannon. If you knew what a REAL magic weapon like the Regulus could do, you'd START with nuclear exchange and go from there."

That's my mess for this post... digest it.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I notice that our villains' motives are rather vague. This is all some kind of revenge plot against... who, Sun Tzu? Mankind? The Universe? L-sama?

Let's focus on developing the villains for a bit, this seems like the largest part of the story that hasn't been developed much at all yet.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas