Untitled Nanoha / Metroid Crossover Idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Untitled Nanoha / Metroid Crossover Idea

Postby i.blackney » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am

Hi everyone!

Amazingly enough, I've been bitten by a plot bunny. :shock: Subsequently, I've had a strong urge to write. Originally this was going to be a Ranma / Sailor Moon / Metroid crossover, but I found a couple of stoppers that bothered me, namely a lack of need for the Ranma elements, a conflict of genres and a general feeling of being unoriginal.

Recently I've been getting back into Lyrical Nanoha, with the new magna being slowly translated and the new movie due to come out soon. I find that the two series can fit very well together, and are much more inline genera-wise than my prior choices.

For continuity, this is taking place after Lyrical Nanoha A's for the Nanoha side, and after Metroid IV: Metroid Fusion for the Metroid side. (I've neverd had access to a Game Cube or Wii, So I havn't played anything of the Metroid Prime series. But then, I thought the Prime series was suposed to be a collection of side stories to the main numbered series. Then again, I could be wrong.)

The story would start with two prologues; prologue one for Nanoha describing a normal day for Nanoha, Fate and Hayate one week before Nanoha's 10th birthday and waiting any moment for Lindly's adoption of Fate to be approved by Mid-Childian courts. Prologue describes what has become a normal day for Samas, Shaking down bounty and clients alike for information on the Galactic Federation's Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory. Samas does find some intel, but it's a trap. Samas gets away from the Deep Space Secure Communication Relay with the information she needs - The redundant Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory is on Earth of the Sol system, Delta Arm of the Galaxay, but Samas suit and ship is infected with a computer virus. The virus damages some of her higher weapon systems: Screw Attack, Ice Beam, Space Jump, Spiderball, Plasama Beam, Wave Beam, and Samas's Gravity Suit armor upgrade. The computer virus also subtly damages the jump computer to Samas's gunship. There is no need to worry about the virus coming back, anitvirus systems in both Samas's suit and her gunship's AI squash the the virus in mid infection - otherwise the damage would be greater.
When Samas out-Jumps at Earth, she's miles too close and has to sacrifice her secondary propulsion mode, a solar sail, as a areobreak to crash-land successfully.

From there I don't have anything concretely written in prose, due to how I orginze information in my head (e.g.: helter-skelter every-way-but-which) I have three written pages of bullet-point notes. At this point, I don't have name for most of the author created characters, so I'll use titles.

* Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are fighting horrific Mocktroids, Metroid evolotions and other strange alien creatures. These replace the typical monsters of the week.
* Some monsters may not be defeated in a given "week", and so may reoccur two or even three times.

The Galactic Federation is a member-state of the TSAB, and is in fact one of the major member-states.

*The Galactic Federation is currently divided into two major power-blocs: one run by a popular idealist gentleman Prime Minister, another run by a pragmatic, mercurial female Minister of War, who's party has just won a narrow-victory in the last election.

*The Minister of War (MoW) is the one of the Major Villains, but never comes 'on-screen' per say, he's after all on the Capital Planet looking after the the entire Galactic Forces - the Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory is just one project, albeit an important one. The MoW helps by sending money, gear, troops or other resources, or by inflicting obfuscating bureaucracy on Samas (inditing her on illegal destruction of a government space station, or declaring Samas insane due to unforeseen complications of the Metroid-vaccine.) or the TSAB (getting the TSAB in charge of
capturing Samas)

* Project Manager of the Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory is more or less the real bad guy. He's an amoral monster who feels that he should be in charge of the Federation. But he realizes that's an imposable goal - The PM is too popular for a coup-de-tat to be successful, and most of the new bio-weapons are useless in space, as they either need atmosphere to survive or can be taken out by the guns of corvettes and capital ships.
So, the Project Manager simply decides that if I can't rule an old federation, he'll forge a new one, in a largely undeveloped are of the galazy. The one that Earth is in.

* Nanoha is starting to feel the effects of magical stress due to the overuse of AAA+ magic. She doesn't burn out, but it does affect her in combat.

* Class mates of Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are being abducted for experimentation. This may include Alissa and Suzuka. But maybe not, this would lean towards body horror. It may be an ill mesh with the Lyrical Nanoha genera.

* With no place to go, (Federation senors can detect long term use of powerful electronics - like Samas's gunship. Besides the gunship is... not in the best of condition after the crash landing.) and having only piety cash from muggers who tried to make a mark of Samas, Samas ends up at Nanoha coffee shop.

*Of course, Nanoha's family gives shelter to the young woman who looks like she survived a disaster. (and needs a shower to boot.)
* Since Samas's armored persona is wanted as armed and dangerous, Samas gives the alias of Justin(e) Balie . (Old school NES joke)
* Since Samas was raised by the Chozo to be a weapon of justice and revenge, the simple everyday life of Nanoha's family is new and different. in this way, Samas and Fate are in the same boat.

* Samas gets a job hunting earth bounties, it's a good way to familiarize herself the city and get leads. Plus it's easy money for someone as good as Samas.
* In low-crime Japan, most of the bounties are for internet pedophiles and other perverts. Samas's high rate of capture (and collection of bounties) brings her to the police's attention - for recruitment. This nets Samas with more leads and information, but also makes her deal with a commanding officer - not her cup of tea.

It's late, so I'll ed it here. I look forward to see what everyone thinks of this. Thank you for your time and comments.
If Good Intentions pave the Road to Hell, then I must have made an Interstate!
i.blackney
Initiate

Re: Untitled Nanoha / Metroid Crossover Idea

Postby Comartemis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 am

but Samas suit and ship is infected with a computer virus. The virus damages some of her higher weapon systems: Screw Attack, Ice Beam, Space Jump, Spiderball, Plasama Beam, Wave Beam, and Samas's Gravity Suit armor upgrade.

Here we go again....

Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are fighting horrific Mocktroids, Metroid evolotions and other strange alien creatures. These replace the typical monsters of the week.

While I am generally unfamiliar with the extended Metroid mythos, this would be a complete curb-stomp no matter how you went about it. And you forget that if Hayate isn't working for the TSAB to "atone for her crimes" (bullshit, I say, she didn't do anything) then the Wolkenritter are likely to be around as well.

The Minister of War (MoW) is the one of the Major Villains, but never comes 'on-screen' per say, he's after all on the Capital Planet looking after the the entire Galactic Forces - the Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory is just one project, albeit an important one. The MoW helps by sending money, gear, troops or other resources, or by inflicting obfuscating bureaucracy on Samas (inditing her on illegal destruction of a government space station, or declaring Samas insane due to unforeseen complications of the Metroid-vaccine.) or the TSAB (getting the TSAB in charge of capturing Samas)

Question; why does the MoW care about Samus enough to try to thwart her progress? Is it because Samus interfered with the AMERL, or because Samus has a history with the Metroids or just because of Samus's reputation as a bounty hunter? And how does the Federation have such influence with the TSAB that they can shoehorn them into tracking down a wanted fugitive who isn't an interdimensional criminal?

Project Manager of the Advanced Metroid Evolution Research Laboratory is more or less the real bad guy. He's an amoral monster who feels that he should be in charge of the Federation. But he realizes that's an imposable goal - The PM is too popular for a coup-de-tat to be successful, and most of the new bio-weapons are useless in space, as they either need atmosphere to survive or can be taken out by the guns of corvettes and capital ships.
So, the Project Manager simply decides that if I can't rule an old federation, he'll forge a new one, in a largely undeveloped are of the galazy. The one that Earth is in.

What is it with all the mad scientists trying to rule the galaxy these days? You'd think they'd be more interested in creating a place where they can conduct their research uninhibited by such things as "morals" and "laws". Jail had the right idea in that regard, and I'd suggest that the Project Manager take a page out of his book as far as motives are concerned; it would make him more believable as a character to be trying to further his research through monstrous means rather than using said research to make a whole new government.

Nanoha is starting to feel the effects of magical stress due to the overuse of AAA+ magic. She doesn't burn out, but it does affect her in combat.

Why would Nanoha need to use her full power to dispatch a bunch of third-rate monsters that a normal (if highly-trained) girl in powered armor can dispatch easily? The Aces' ability to use magic makes them far more powerful than Samus can hope to be in her armor (Let's see that plasma cannon do a Beam o' War with a Starlight Breaker, or even a regular old Divine Buster. Go on, I dare ya.) and there's so many of them around that it's doubtful Nanoha would even break a sweat dealing with these things.

Remember, Monsters of the Day were only challenging up until the point where Fate entered the picture. After that, taking down Jewel Seed monsters was so routine that it stopped being an important part of the plot. If you want Nanoha to push herself, you'll need something on the order of the SA-X with upgraded firepower, and you'll need several of them to keep the other Aces busy. Simple metroids and other such creatures just won't cut it.

Class mates of Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are being abducted for experimentation. This may include Alissa and Suzuka. But maybe not, this would lean towards body horror. It may be an ill mesh with the Lyrical Nanoha genera.

Only if you went into the details of the experiments conducted on them. If they were both out cold for their experiments they could suddenly wake up in a cell with powers they hadn't had before.

Also, if you pick Suzuka and Arisa for this, remember that these two have exhibited abnormal characteristics that might mark them as something more than ordinary schoolgirls. Suzuka caught a super-powered dodgeball throw from Fate in the A's manga then knocked her out of the air with it a second later, and both of them appeared in a barrier that was supposed to keep out non-magical lifeforms during the battle with Reinforce. My gut tells me they're latent mages, but Suzuka might also be part vampire.

With no place to go, (Federation senors can detect long term use of powerful electronics - like Samas's gunship. Besides the gunship is... not in the best of condition after the crash landing.) and having only piety cash from muggers who tried to make a mark of Samas, Samas ends up at Nanoha coffee shop.

A common tactic I've seen Ranma use before is to go "trolling" for muggers by intentionally going out at night into dangerous areas wearing attractive clothing (in girl form, natch). If Samus thinks to use this tactic she might wind up with enough cash to last her a while for food and such, though she'd still need someplace to sleep at night (assuming the gunship isn't safe to use).

Samas gets a job hunting earth bounties, it's a good way to familiarize herself the city and get leads. Plus it's easy money for someone as good as Samas.

Okay, big problem here: bounty hunting is illegal in Japan. As a matter of fact, it's illegal everywhere on Earth besides the USA and the Phillippines. And real bounty hunters are very different from the "Hollywood Bounty Hunters" like Samus and Boba Fett, or the Sweepers in Black Cat, so this wouldn't work nearly as well as you're probably thinking it would.

In general, you've got some interesting ideas, but they need to be strung together into a more cohesive form with a concrete plot before we can make a whole lot of headway on this.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby al103 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Comartemis wrote:And you forget that if Hayate isn't working for the TSAB to "atone for her crimes" (bullshit, I say, she didn't do anything)

Not bullshit - there is no win situation there:
1. Hayate says that she ordered 'ritters and takes blame
2. 'ritters are malfunctioning programs that go against master wish = dangerous = must be destroyed
3. 'ritters are persons, then they are long-standing criminals that killed enormous number of persons and at best must be life-imprisoned

Real situation as "knights were programs but somehow became persons" even most lenient TSAB court wouldn't buy... even before we take in account BoD-haters that should be many. So Hayate taken blame on herself. Thing is in Strikers she is served her sentence in community work long ago and stays at TSAB at her own choice.
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:24 am

'ritters are malfunctioning programs that go against master wish = dangerous = must be destroyed

If this were a valid argument then the TSAB would by necessity have to view programs as the property of their masters, as "things" that cannot have their own free wills, and that programs that can act against their masters are "defective" and must be eliminated. This seems ridiculously unlikely to me for obvious reasons, not least of which is the fact that Reinforce Zwei and the Wolkenritter are capable of holding military ranks in StrikerS. If you don't respect an individual's capacity for free thought and possession of their own will, then why in god's name would you stick them in a position that demands creative tactical thinking and command over people that do have those things?

'ritters are persons, then they are long-standing criminals that killed enormous number of persons and at best must be life-imprisoned

Can you prove that they killed anyone? Nanoha and Fate both survived their drainages so the process is definitely not inherently fatal, and the Wolkenritter were feeling guilty enough just by betraying Hayate's wishes; there's no way they would have killed anyone if they thought they could avoid it.

If they had killed people during their little rampage and not just knocked them out and stolen their magic then there would be no forgiveness by TSAB courts even if Hayate had jumped to their defense; heck, that might even have earned Hayate the death sentence if she was claiming responsibility for hundreds of deaths.

Hayate didn't need to take the blame for the Wolkenritter's actions and only did so because she felt morally responsible for their activities in the same way that a parent feels responsible for their child's actions.

Real situation as "knights were programs but somehow became persons" even most lenient TSAB court wouldn't buy... even before we take in account BoD-haters that should be many. So Hayate taken blame on herself.

Here's the thing; apparently TSAB courts are warm and fuzzy institutions that will excuse the crimes of a girl whose actions nearly destroyed several universes because her crazy mommy asked her to. Those same courts excused the actions of the Numbers (aside from Quattro and the others who wouldn't say they were sorry) in StrikerS because they'd been raised by a mad scientist and didn't really know right from wrong, and they were genuine villains, not sympathetic anti-villains like the Wolks were.

In real-life courts that shit wouldn't fly; Fate would probably be looking at a few years in Juvenile Hall for committing crimes on a parent's behalf, especially if those crimes involved multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon (using Bardiche against Nanoha in this case). The Numbers? Just to start with them, we have charges of conspiracy to overthrow the government, thousands of counts of assault against a police officer (assuming Ground Forces mages and Riot Force Six to be police equivalents), and one count of kidnapping (Vivio). The only thing the Numbers have going for them in this case is that the inability to distinguish right from wrong (as Jail raised them and passed on his twisted beliefs, perhaps even by indoctrination or brainwashing) qualifies them for the Insanity Defense, and even that won't get them out of hot water in a case like this.

Thankfully for the above parties, TSAB courts do not function under the same laws and standards as courts on Earth or they wouldn't have gotten the relatively happy endings they got. However as the differences between TSAB courts and Earth courts have not been elaborated on, there is no way we can make judgements about "even the most lenient TSAB courts" and what they would or wouldn't buy. I'm inclined to think that they very well would buy it because the TSAB in general has been shown to be a Good Guy organization like the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars; everyone here is a good guy with very few exceptions, and those exceptions tend to meet appropriately fatal ends.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby al103 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:14 am

Comartemis wrote:If this were a valid argument then the TSAB would by necessity have to view programs as the property of their masters, as "things" that cannot have their own free wills, and that programs that can act against their masters are "defective" and must be eliminated. This seems ridiculously unlikely to me for obvious reasons, not least of which is the fact that Reinforce Zwei and the Wolkenritter are capable of holding military ranks in StrikerS. If you don't respect an individual's capacity for free thought and possession of their own will, then why in god's name would you stick them in a position that demands creative tactical thinking and command over people that do have those things?

Something in line of "BoD was destroyed, now they have free will". Only if they were considered defective programs before that they most likely wouldn't receive that treatment.

Comartemis wrote:Can you prove that they killed anyone? Nanoha and Fate both survived their drainages so the process is definitely not inherently fatal, and the Wolkenritter were feeling guilty enough just by betraying Hayate's wishes; there's no way they would have killed anyone if they thought they could avoid it.

If they had killed people during their little rampage and not just knocked them out and stolen their magic then there would be no forgiveness by TSAB courts even if Hayate had jumped to their defense; heck, that might even have earned Hayate the death sentence if she was claiming responsibility for hundreds of deaths.

Only they are EXACTLY same 'ritters that previous owners had - so if they have free will all that death are they doing... which is partially truth as they DO partially had free will, just only after Hayate became they master it became obvious to them. So Hayate saved them from blame of mass murderers and execution.

Comartemis wrote:Here's the thing; apparently TSAB courts are warm and fuzzy institutions that will excuse the crimes of a girl whose actions nearly destroyed several universes because her crazy mommy asked her to. Those same courts excused the actions of the Numbers (aside from Quattro and the others who wouldn't say they were sorry) in StrikerS because they'd been raised by a mad scientist and didn't really know right from wrong, and they were genuine villains, not sympathetic anti-villains like the Wolks were.

Only you know? NOT. Fate received sentence which she chosen to serve in TSAB - EXACTLY same with Hayate. And Numbers TOO didn't get "free exit from jail"* card. They TOO have sentences which they must spent in public work or in prison. N5 even in double digits one. Only thing TSAB courts are lenient in is that they allow to exchange prison term for public work if they do believe that you comply. With they permanent manpower crisis so not surprising...

* Or actually they did. From Jail, lol.
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 am

Something in line of "BoD was destroyed, now they have free will". Only if they were considered defective programs before that they most likely wouldn't receive that treatment.

I'm not following your logic here. Are you trying to say that the Wolkenritter would be punished for actions they took while they legally weren't considered to have free will? That makes no sense whatsoever; a person whose will has been stripped from them cannot be held accountable for their actions. If the Wolkenritter only gained free will after the Book was destroyed then they never killed anyone by their own free will and they have clean records free of willful wrongdoing. By the same token, if they have free will now then they cannot be regarded as defective programs anymore, but as sentient self-aware beings with a complete set of rights that must be respected; they cannot simply be destroyed for being defective.

Only they are EXACTLY same 'ritters that previous owners had - so if they have free will all that death are they doing... which is partially truth as they DO partially had free will, just only after Hayate became they master it became obvious to them. So Hayate saved them from blame of mass murderers and execution.

That would require that Hayate take the blame for murders that occurred years--sometimes hundreds of years--before she was even born. Even taking into account that we don't know how the courts operate, nobody is going to buy that.

Only you know? NOT. Fate received sentence which she chosen to serve in TSAB - EXACTLY same with Hayate. And Numbers TOO didn't get "free exit from jail"* card. They TOO have sentences which they must spent in public work or in prison.

True, they got to work community service instead of going to prison. The fact remains, however, that they're working community service for deeds that any real court would regard as inexcusable offenses. If I tried to overthrow the US government you can bet your britches the Supreme Court wouldn't give me the option of community service to get out of jail time.

N5 even in double digits one.

I assume you mean Cinque, and I'd like to know where you got those numbers from.

Actually I'm speaking with a couple of friends from AnimeSuki in another tab at the moment and one of them is saying quite firmly that the Numbers didn't get any community service; they got reformation education under Ginga to give them a proper set of values and then joined the TSAB by choice. This is supported in the SSX drama CD; a few of the Numbers (Otto and Sein, I believe) aren't working for the TSAB, they're working for the Saint Church.

It seems this argument is about to hijack the thread. If you're going to continue this argument, make your next response in the Nanoha thread, not here.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Ideas