Ranma/Sailormoon ,Ranma is a reborn princess

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Ranma/Sailormoon ,Ranma is a reborn princess

Postby Quickshot0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 am

Between Pale Wolf's

Have her be Sailor Moon. We already have two, what's a third? She's just Serenity's predecessor.

And Shanami's
There's nothing in canon (to my knowledge) that says that multiple people can't be bound to the same source. After all, the Starlights and their Princess all come from the same planet, and all have a Star Seed.

I'm wondering if binding them to planets is really how it works even in canon. If I remember correctly in the manga, the Star Seeds come from the Galaxy Cauldron and just kind of end up on suitable worlds? Or something like that perhaps? I suppose I could look it up, but it's probably not all to important, because I figure I'll just go with this concept any way and make the worlds more like the place they were originally tasked to defend.

Though some how making her yet another Sailor Moon seems a bit... inelegant. :?

It's a possibility though, well how I'd prefer playing it, it isn't like the senshi form will show up all to quickly any how, so I guess I can think about it for awhile still.

Hm... just tossing out ideas here, but... Are you having Galaxia as another part of the same empire (considering all the senshi floating about in Stars...), or something else? If she was part of the same group as the Senshi, well... Galaxia herself has no objectives, it's Chaos. So she could've just been a soldier for Serenity's empire who got hijacked by Chaos - which, as you've established, works for the kingdom's enemies. She could be a remote under their control. Or Chaos could be going kinda rogue, which may allow an interesting bit with the antagonists working on shutting it down, and then going right back to shooting at the senshi.

Well, what I remember about Galaxia is, is that she showed up during the war torn period of the Sailor wars, or is that wrong? Which as far as I remember from canon was due to Chaos and there I've linked Chaos to another party, this would make it post Silver Millenium I guess. So she wouldn't be a Senshi of the old empire, but from one of the successor states instead.

So I guess the remaining question would be if for instance Chaos went Rogue, it certainly would put an interesting spin on things as well as explain its rather chaotic nature and why it isn't pushing for a more rational agenda, instead of its more destructive methods.

You could have the enemies be rebels who opposed unification (which you'd have to be careful with, since that makes the Moon Kingdom the aggressors, and makes your antagonists seem more 'good' than the protagonists - fine if you want it, otherwise best to avoid the implication).

But in general, you need to work out exactly what their objectives are. And why it's important enough to wage war over for over ten thousand years after their enemies are dead - if they just have different ideas on how things should be run, there needs to be a reason that it struck them as important enough to wage interstellar war over, and why they haven't started doing it in the ten thousand years they've had.

It's pretty much unavoidable that in unification you'll partially end up being an aggressor, so you'd need an explanation for why a peace loving state like the Moon Kingdom ever wound up like that. I think that won't present an all to difficult problem though. Something like ,constant warfare and other states attacking you could end up, with you pacifying and incorporating them in to your own state, just to get them to atleast stop attacking you. Or a reason much like that should work fairly well I suspect.

As for why they haven't done anything in ten thousand years and more, well I figure they have. But the situation is some what volatile with many different parties, so it would be much like Earths history, with many states trying to gain dominance, but always in the end falling a bit short, suffering reversals etc etc. It would certainly help explain the attitude of for instance Galaxia as well, in that she tried to take out Chaos in canon to bring about a more lasting peace. Hmmm, what if she decided to use Chaos to become stronger so she could force peace, except thing didn't entirely work out like she hoped...?
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Shanami » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 am

Galaxia's canon appearance is that she *ended* the Sailor Wars by containing Chaos in her body. Unfortunately, Chaos has corrupted her over the course of millennia and now she's restarting them.

The big problem with knowing how the Sailor Moon powers are derived is that technically, each season of the anime (if you are using that as your source) is not truly connected. They are each their own story and just reuse the characters. The manga is continuous, but I'm not sure if the explanation for why the senshi with the star seeds appear on particular planets is ever given. You'd think there would be *some* association at least between the name of the senshi's astral body and them.

And yes, having two Sailor Moon's might be inelegant. There's always the boring Sailor Terra and Sun options. Personally, I like the idea of Tranquility just being declared either princess-reagent or moon queen and having her fuku form appear appropriate to that. It would really annoy Ranma, and if Princess Kakyuu is any indication, it would be canon permissible. Sailor Moon could be the lesser form that the younger siblings/daughters of the ranking royalty of the moon.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Galaxia's canon appearance is that she *ended* the Sailor Wars by containing Chaos in her body. Unfortunately, Chaos has corrupted her over the course of millennia and now she's restarting them.

I believe in the manga, that it was said that she wasn't born until the Sailor Wars were already running, maybe I'll look it up, though it isn't all to important really for now I guess.

And yes, having two Sailor Moon's might be inelegant. There's always the boring Sailor Terra and Sun options. Personally, I like the idea of Tranquility just being declared either princess-reagent or moon queen and having her fuku form appear appropriate to that. It would really annoy Ranma, and if Princess Kakyuu is any indication, it would be canon permissible. Sailor Moon could be the lesser form that the younger siblings/daughters of the ranking royalty of the moon.

Originally I just couldn't figure out any ranking that would match with such a position. But it suddenly came to me a bit back, namely Sailor Moons ultimate form was supposedly Sailor Cosmos in the manga. For a lot of the stars arc though, she was only seen as Chibi chibi, who most interestingly is a red head with blue eyes. So I figure that I'll just use Sailor Cosmos then, it's not a perfect canon wise for either series.Then again, I thought both series endings were a bit weak, so mixing it up a bit like this, seems to give a considerably more amusing outcome. :wink:
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Shanami » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:41 pm

That's actually a good method to reconcile Ranma's transformation, it gets rid of Chibi Chibi (who really was a rather lame replacement for Chibi-usa), it looks right, and it's feminine enough to cause Ranma all sorts of angst.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm wondering if binding them to planets is really how it works even in canon. If I remember correctly in the manga, the Star Seeds come from the Galaxy Cauldron and just kind of end up on suitable worlds? Or something like that perhaps?

I believe that's how it works. I think Kinmoku had like four Senshi (Star Healer/Fighter/Maker, and Kakyuu).

Though some how making her yet another Sailor Moon seems a bit... inelegant.

She wouldn't be another, she'd be the first :P

And considering the wide differences between Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon, it's not like you have to hew too closely to either appearance or powers for Ranma. And it is the title Tranquility would have (though for story purposes, it might be easier to just call her Tranquility or Tranquil Moon, rather than have multiple characters referred to by the same name). Of course, Cosmos also works - especially if the Moon Kingdom was expansionistic. Then calling their heir the senshi of 'the entire universe' is most definitely in tune with a rather... jingoistic vibe.

Well, what I remember about Galaxia is, is that she showed up during the war torn period of the Sailor wars, or is that wrong? Which as far as I remember from canon was due to Chaos and there I've linked Chaos to another party, this would make it post Silver Millenium I guess. So she wouldn't be a Senshi of the old empire, but from one of the successor states instead.

Canon's... vague on that point. But it works if you want to use it that way.

It's pretty much unavoidable that in unification you'll partially end up being an aggressor, so you'd need an explanation for why a peace loving state like the Moon Kingdom ever wound up like that.

Well, it varies, though a lot of people have either just not had the Moon Kingdom be peace-loving at all (Ozzallos, Sunshine), or no unification war/galactic empire occurred.

An alternate solution, that I used at one point, is that Serenity (the first) was the second ruler - the first was Silver, who was, essentially, good enough at violence that her daughter was never exposed to it, and therefore ended up too pacifist to successfully hold a kingdom together (thus precipitating the fall, basically refusing to use the seemingly 'dirtier' institutions that Silver had put in place).

Or you could use them as having been bad guys - like I said, it's not exactly a bad thing for the story, just something you should be intending. It would add an interesting dynamic to the 'need to reclaim memories... Jesus, I was an asshole'.

I think that won't present an all to difficult problem though. Something like ,constant warfare and other states attacking you could end up, with you pacifying and incorporating them in to your own state, just to get them to atleast stop attacking you. Or a reason much like that should work fairly well I suspect.

I should say that historically, a lot of imperialistic states have claimed that to be the case. None of them were telling the truth. Historically, the way you deal with an aggressor is usually by negating their industry, possibly putting up a blockade or observers so they can't put an army back together, and then leaving them to their rebuilding and self-governance. Think Japan and Germany (admittedly, the first time wasn't too effective, but the second time worked).

Taking over and incorporating them into your own empire is, bluntly, a lot of work, and even more difficult if, well, they hate you and tend to be attacking you. Too much effort unless you actively want to expand in the first place, and are just using excuses (Rome being the ur-example here, especially with the Gallic Wars).

As for why they haven't done anything in ten thousand years and more, well I figure they have. But the situation is some what volatile with many different parties, so it would be much like Earths history, with many states trying to gain dominance, but always in the end falling a bit short, suffering reversals etc etc. It would certainly help explain the attitude of for instance Galaxia as well, in that she tried to take out Chaos in canon to bring about a more lasting peace. Hmmm, what if she decided to use Chaos to become stronger so she could force peace, except thing didn't entirely work out like she hoped...?

Possibly. People do sometimes think like that, even though it's utterly idiotic logic (as a general rule, pacifism is concerned with 'not fighting', rather than 'stomp down everyone who disagrees with you until there's nothing to fight over').
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Quickshot0 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 pm

should say that historically, a lot of imperialistic states have claimed that to be the case. None of them were telling the truth. Historically, the way you deal with an aggressor is usually by negating their industry, possibly putting up a blockade or observers so they can't put an army back together, and then leaving them to their rebuilding and self-governance. Think Japan and Germany (admittedly, the first time wasn't too effective, but the second time worked).

Taking over and incorporating them into your own empire is, bluntly, a lot of work, and even more difficult if, well, they hate you and tend to be attacking you. Too much effort unless you actively want to expand in the first place, and are just using excuses (Rome being the ur-example here, especially with the Gallic Wars).

While what you say there is typically true I guess, if you live many millennia, then you might end up having to negate the same state quite a few times. States can change quite a lot over the centuries after all. In such a case one might develop a sense that it really won't end, unless you find a way to stop the cycle for ever. Admittedly adding them to your own state would be perhaps a bit of a radical solution, but it would be one.

In any case, there I prefer them to have had a bit of an empire in this story, I though I don't want them to seem all to militaristic, so I think I'll try to make it a mix of different reasons. From states that joined, just because they wanted to, to states that did it for economic, military, defensive, etc reasons. That should give it a lot less aggressive tone overall and one could certainly accumulate a fairly large empire over a few millennia via methods like that. At least, I think that would be a plausible way to end up with such a state. Admittedly they still would have conquered some places though, so they wouldn't have been an entirely peaceful nation, but then, I'm not sure an entirely peaceful one would be able to survive.

Possibly. People do sometimes think like that, even though it's utterly idiotic logic (as a general rule, pacifism is concerned with 'not fighting', rather than 'stomp down everyone who disagrees with you until there's nothing to fight over').

If every one was very reasonable and fairly logical, we'd probably not have had so many problems in our own history and it seems fairly hard to make a story with out atleast some characters being a bit unreasonable, one way or the other.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 pm

A good defensive excuse for an empire forming would be a bunch of the smaller planets gathering together behind the strongest of the local senshi to increase the odds of surviving the Sailor Wars.

Serenity is far and above more powerful than pretty much above anyone in the canon aside from Galaxia, Princess Kakyuu, and possibly Pluto/Saturn at the end of the day. When threatened by the militaristic expansion of other kingdoms, it would make sense for the local sector to band together under the banner of the moon.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, an alliance works better, in general, banding under the big guy for protection or economic benefit.

Takeovers of other nations against that population's will... are not possible to put in a 'not evil' light, I'm afraid.

Pacifism isn't necessary, but there's a strong difference from aggressively defending your borders, and taking over another nation.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Shanami » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, taking over a country that is violently exploiting some of its population could be seen as not being evil, but yes, generally an alliance is a safer way to appear non-aggressive.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Hmmm, I'll think about that a bit more I guess, though it'll be something like what you suggest, with perhaps a few more questionable moments some where in it. If only because they might have made a mistake once every few centuries.

Though I've suddenly realized I'd completely forgotten about Pluto, there are a few possible valid interpretations on her I think. If I remember correctly, canon leaves a bit open whether she's from the Silver Millennium or not. Hmmm, I'm thinking it is probably better that she didn't survive in the past though, and that the time gates are an invention of the future..., else I'm probably going to develop a lot more questions about where she was and what in heck she was thinking ignoring the reborn 'Queen'. Or is that not the best solution in this case? :?
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:43 pm

If you're talking about Usagi, ignoring the reborn Queen is the right thing to do :P

More seriously, I tend to go with 'survived from the Silver Millenium'. It's cleaner, storywise, than giving her foreknowledge of the future and then trying to work out why she doesn't use it. Don't forget that just because she's a senshi, doesn't mean she's got some magical detector that can find the others - the Outers and Inners went half of S without knowing who everyone was.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Shanami » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:51 pm

And if you think about the mechanics of Time Gates, it would probably be very hard to track resurrection on them. Sure, you could probably scan accurately to different times and places, but how would you know if someone was really a reincarnation on the gates or just an appearance analog. There's plenty of ways to make Pluto less than omniscient, and that does tend to be easier if she's from the past. Though, if she is from the future but didn't live through the events, and people didn't tell her more than she needed to know she might be lacking some of the information.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 am

Hmm, I'm not to worried about the time gates, even if just to view the future. This is mostly due to in certain kinds of time traveling, just viewing the future could be already enough to cause potential causality of paradox problems. So it would be easy enough to put it down to just being a measure to defend against time travel. Thus why in canon you only ever seen any one from Crystal Tokyo travel through time, until after the initial attack. (Why they continue to do so after wards is beyond me..., I guess they aren't telling us something)

What's mostly keeping me busy right now is, is if there is any reason for them to go to the Tendo's at all after their little problem at Jusenkyo, or if maybe Ranma will head to her mother, having figure out some how she exists... or remembered, or whatever other reason one feels like inventing. Or perhaps some third option... :? It's pretty much the only thing stopping me from getting any further right now. Probably go with the mother I suppose, or else maybe Ranma running away, if I can't think of any plausible reason for them to head to the Tendo's after all.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Well, there are plenty of reasons for Genma to avoid Nodoka. I could see him trying to drag Ranma to the Tendos anyway, since Ranma is legally a boy they could get married, and he could have some insane plot to curse whoever Ranma's bride is to be a boy so they can have children.

I personally think Ranma going to Nodoka is a good idea, but you have to be careful with that. Digging through Genma's pack and finding an address to Nodoka's house is always an easy device to get there though.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Ideas