Here's a thought for a Naruto fic...

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Postby nuclear death frog » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Shadell wrote:So it stands to reason that Sakura is a VERY quick learner.

Another way to look at it is that Sakura is forced to have exceptional control because if she didn't, she'd run out of chakra and simply keel over dead in a matter of minutes because her reserves suckdiddlyuck.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Shadell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:30 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:Another way to look at it is that Sakura is forced to have exceptional control because if she didn't, she'd run out of chakra and simply keel over dead in a matter of minutes because her reserves suckdiddlyuck.

Control is a factor there, but regardless of that it is an entirely new application of a process she is already good at.
A similar feet would be Ranma using the Shi-Shi Hokodan. He could already use his ki for certain things, and use it very well at that. But it's still impressive that he learned an entire new application in a few days. Sakura was able to perform the most advanced form of a technique that took Sasuke several days to master in about 4 minutes. And before you come back with the "Thats only because she has so little Chakra" argument again, remember that the stuff she learned over the three year period, has the same requirements: Good chakra control and not all that much chakra.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu on Friday May 23, 2008 7:33 pm
http://www.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=175018118
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby nuclear death frog » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:51 pm

Shadell wrote:And before you come back with the "Thats only because she has so little Chakra" argument again, remember that the stuff she learned over the three year period, has the same requirements: Good chakra control and not all that much chakra.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Sakura has excellent control. That pretty much can't be disputed, and it is something she can be proud of.
What I think the problem is that Sakura in the two-and-a-half years in which Naruto was absent from Konoha, learned too much and advanced too far. Yes, it was very fortuitous (or at least it *seemed* so) that Sakura's talents seemed to be a faint echo of Tsunade's. But Tsunade by virtue of her position in the village, and Konoha's need to recover from war/betrayal should be an extremely busy woman, who simply can't spare the TIME needed to give Sakura more than even cursory instruction on the skills that brought her to her position. Otherwise she is neglecting her job and ignoring her oath. And Tsunade, as she is first depicted, takes her word very seriously when she bothers to give it.
And, incidentally, you are wrong when you imply that Tsunade's skills don't require that much chakra. Tsunade's regeneration jutsu (Souzou Saisei -- Genesis Rebirth) quite obviously requires MASSIVE amounts of chakra. Excellent chakra control will carry the potential medic nin only to the extent of their reserves and no farther. Kabuto, who probably has chakra control at the same incredible level that Tsunade, and now allegedly Sakura, reside at, is only on roughly the same level of power as Kakashi, which is FAR below Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Tsunade. He too can heal himself of injuries sustained in battle, but his stores of chakra were clearly insufficient to completely heal him of his injuries sustained at the might of Naruto's Rasengan. And that was a Rasengan that Naruto not only wasn't using the Ninetails' power at all, but he was about as drained (as Naruto ever gets) from his previous week of training almost non-stop.
Last edited by nuclear death frog on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dark Magic » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:51 pm

The thing that I don't really like about the time skip about Sakura isn't the fact that she advanced so far in the medical field, it's that the author basically gave her super strength like Tsunade. He said something about have such good chakra control that she got that, then wouldn't it stand to reason that alot of ninjas would be breaking boulders and causing craters with their fist. I always thought that Tsunade got her strength from her bloodline, not control.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:57 pm

I always thought her super strength was a composite of both incredible chakra control AND massive amounts of chakra, explaining why most ninja's were not just crushing bulders. I didnt think that Tsuade HAD a bloodline. I know she is the grand-daughter of the First Hokage, but no actual limit.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Moshulel » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:57 pm

That... is not what I said at all. I pointed out that we have never seen Sakura attempt to learn a higher level jutsu like KB or Rasengan. I did not say she could learn them. I pointed out that until the timeskip the only evidence we have of Sakura's learning ability is her mastery of tree-walking on the FIRST attempt. Now KB is suited to naruto's abilities perfectly, yet it still took him several hours to learn. So it stands to reason that Sakura is a VERY quick learner.

Right.... if you compare a forbiden jutsu ( a kinjutsu if i may) with a low level chakra manipulation tehnique that every genin knows.
Also you ignore the fact that while that tehnique was dependent on chakra control the KB was NOT. The KB depended directly on Naruto's capacity to learn.
Moshulel
Senshi Candidate

Postby Shadell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:01 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:I don't think anyone is disputing that Sakura has excellent control. That pretty much can't be disputed, and it is something she can be proud of.
What I think the problem is that Sakura in the two-and-a-half years in which Naruto was absent from Konoha, learned too much and advanced too far. Yes, it was very fortuitous (or at least it *seemed* so) that Sakura's talents seemed to be a faint echo of Tsunade's. But Tsunade by virtue of her position in the village, and Konoha's need to recover from war/betrayal should be an extremely busy woman, who simply can't spare the TIME needed to give Sakura more than even cursory instruction on the skills that brought her to her position. Otherwise she is neglecting her job and ignoring her oath. And Tsunade, as she is first depicted, takes her word very seriously when she bothers to give it.
And, incidentally, you are wrong when you imply that Tsunade's skills don't require that much chakra. Tsunade's regeneration jutsu (Souzou Saisei -- Genesis Rebirth) quite obviously requires MASSIVE amounts of chakra. Excellent chakra control will carry the potential medic nin only to the extent of their reserves and no farther. Kabuto, who probably has chakra control at the same incredible level that Tsunade, and now allegedly Sakura, reside at, is only on roughly the same level of power as Kakashi, which is FAR below Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Tsunade. He too can heal himself of injuries sustained in battle, but his stores of chakra were clearly insufficient to completely heal him of his injuries sustained at the might of Naruto's Rasengan. And that was a Rasengan that Naruto not only wasn't using the Ninetails' power at all, but he was about as drained (as Naruto ever gets) from his previous week of training almost non-stop.

Also we haven't seen Sakura cure herself of life threatening injuries, create chakra scalpals, use the genesis rebirth, or alter someon's body to look like hers. And Kabuto could do all those (Except Genesis) BEFORE the time jump. All we've seen Sakura do really is the strength trick and one poison antidote(That didn't require chakra to make) as well as cure a few light injuries. I don't expect her to go pulling a Genesis Rebirth of any time soon.
Also Genesis Rebirth takes out your life expectency. IE: It quickly ages your body when used. However it hasn't been stated that it uses massive chakra. Remember changes at the celluler level (Which is what Genesis Rebirth does) require an inanely small amount of energy to accomplish.
Well remember Kakashi CAN'T do Naruto's KB the way Naruto does. That is too say Naruto has an inordinate amount of chakra.
Moshulel wrote:Right.... if you compare a forbiden jutsu ( a kinjutsu if i may) with a low level chakra manipulation tehnique that every genin knows.
Also you ignore the fact that while that tehnique was dependent on chakra control the KB was NOT. The KB depended directly on Naruto's capacity to learn.

It has been stated that the only reason KB qualifies as Kinjutsu is the massive chakra requirement to use it. If it weren't for that then that it would probably be genin or chunin level.
Additionaly given that it took a 'genius' Uchiha several days to master, I wouldn't exactly call it low level. Also after mastering it Sasuke and Naruto's power had grown to the point where they were ready for the chunin exams. IE: Mastering that technique made them grow to chunin level.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby nuclear death frog » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Shadell wrote:However it hasn't been stated that it uses massive chakra. Remember changes at the celluler level (Which is what Genesis Rebirth does) require an inanely small amount of energy to accomplish.

WRONG!
Kabuto: An ability that allows me to activate all of my cells, thus creating new cells with which to replace my damaged ones. *(to himself) Of course...as a trade-off, it uses up just about all of my chakra...*
Kabuto: *thinking* My healing ability, with this level of damage... ...my chakra won't be sufficient.
Tsunade's healing ability does THE SAME THING as Kabuto's technique, and obviously requires more power than Kabuto can muster, because Tsunade healed herself just fine, whereas Kabuto wasn't up to the task.
And Kabuto is stated, in an earlier chapter, by Orochimaru, to be on pretty much the same level as Kakashi. Kakashi is one of the Leaf's elite, but compared to that level (Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Tsunade) he's not even close and he (Kakashi) knows it.
There are reasons that Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade became legendary. Unfortunately Kishimoto seems to have thrown a lot of it out in Part II.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Shadell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:29 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:WRONG!
Kabuto: An ability that allows me to activate all of my cells, thus creating new cells with which to replace my damaged ones. *(to himself) Of course...as a trade-off, it uses up just about all of my chakra...*
Kabuto: *thinking* My healing ability, with this level of damage... ...my chakra won't be sufficient.
Tsunade's healing ability does THE SAME THING as Kabuto's technique, and obviously requires more power than Kabuto can muster, because Tsunade healed herself just fine, whereas Kabuto wasn't up to the task.
And Kabuto is stated, in an earlier chapter, by Orochimaru, to be on pretty much the same level as Kakashi. Kakashi is one of the Leaf's elite, but compared to that level (Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Tsunade) he's not even close and he (Kakashi) knows it.
There are reasons that Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade became legendary. Unfortunately Kishimoto seems to have thrown a lot of it out in Part II.

Yeah... My fault for trying to use some science there. I keep forgetting that real physics, biology, anatomy and whatnot don't need to apply in Naruto if Kishimoto says they don't.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby nuclear death frog » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Shadell wrote:Yeah... My fault for trying to use some science there. I keep forgetting that real physics, biology, anatomy and whatnot don't need to apply in Naruto if Kishimoto says they don't.

Well, it may or may not require very much chakra to heal small wounds. Like, for example, a paper cut. That probably wouldn't take all that much work, if the nin in question was vain enough to bother.
Of course, Kabuto and Tsunade were trying to heal wounds quite a bit more serious than a paper cut. Kabuto had taken a Rasengan straight in the chest -- given how that thing tears right through plate steel without much effort, it doesn't take much to deduce that his injuries could have been as severe as broken ribs, and, quite likely, shredded internal organs. Clearly he had internal bleeding on a relatively large scale since he was still coughing up blood after healing himself.
And Tsunade had some cut tendons (courtesy of Kabuto) and numerous stab wounds from Orochimaru's sword -- wounds from the sword going all the way through her body. On less durable people, any of those thrusts could have been instantly mortal.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Shadell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:05 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:Well, it may or may not require very much chakra to heal small wounds. Like, for example, a paper cut. That probably wouldn't take all that much work, if the nin in question was vain enough to bother.
Of course, Kabuto and Tsunade were trying to heal wounds quite a bit more serious than a paper cut. Kabuto had taken a Rasengan straight in the chest -- given how that thing tears right through plate steel without much effort, it doesn't take much to deduce that his injuries could have been as severe as broken ribs, and, quite likely, shredded internal organs. Clearly he had internal bleeding on a relatively large scale since he was still coughing up blood after healing himself.
And Tsunade had some cut tendons (courtesy of Kabuto) and numerous stab wounds from Orochimaru's sword -- wounds from the sword going all the way through her body. On less durable people, any of those thrusts could have been instantly mortal.

Yeah. Also for a ninja to heal their own wounds might be much more advanced then healing someon elses. And Genesis Rebirth basically makes the user immortal while in use.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Moshulel » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 pm

It has been stated that the only reason KB qualifies as Kinjutsu is the massive chakra requirement to use it. If it weren't for that then that it would probably be genin or chunin level.
Additionaly given that it took a 'genius' Uchiha several days to master, I wouldn't exactly call it low level. Also after mastering it Sasuke and Naruto's power had grown to the point where they were ready for the chunin exams. IE: Mastering that technique made them grow to chunin level.

False. You seem not to be up do date with the Naruto chapters. Also calling it a kinjutsu just because it requires large amounts of chakra is like you are saying that the assassination jutsu's are highed ranked jutsu's because they consume a lot of chakra. (Which btw is not true.)
Chunin level? Allow me to be skeptical on this one, maybe upper genin but that only because of the correlation with the other tehniques they had, tree walking alone doesn't make any big difference.
Moshulel
Senshi Candidate

Postby Moshulel » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Moshulel wrote:

False. You seem not to be up do date with the Naruto chapters. Also calling it a kinjutsu just because it requires large amounts of chakra is like you are saying that the assassination jutsu's are highed ranked jutsu's because they consume a lot of chakra. (Which btw is not true.)
Chunin level? Allow me to be skeptical on this one, maybe upper genin but that only because of the correlation with the other tehniques they had, tree walking alone doesn't make any big difference.You also need chakra and tehniques to go with it.
Oh and Naruto learned water walking just as fast as Sakura learned tree walking, what does that make him? Especially since water walking is HARDER than tree walking.
Moshulel
Senshi Candidate

Postby Shadell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:57 pm

Moshulel wrote:False. You seem not to be up do date with the Naruto chapters. Also calling it a kinjutsu just because it requires large amounts of chakra is like you are saying that the assassination jutsu's are highed ranked jutsu's because they consume a lot of chakra. (Which btw is not true.)

If by the latest chapters you mean 315, I have read it. Kakashi explicitly states that he can't match Naruto in KB because of the chakra consumption. He never mentions that the technique requires insane skill to learn. Additionaly despite the fact that it is origonally refered to as Kinjutsu (Forbidden Jutsu) almost every ninja above genin level appears to know about it. Many can do it. Additionaly it is explicitly stated in the chunin exam finals that KB is a Jounin level jutsu because it consumes a lot of chakra.
Chunin level? Allow me to be skeptical on this one, maybe upper genin but that only because of the correlation with the other tehniques they had, tree walking alone doesn't make any big difference.You also need chakra and tehniques to go with it.
Oh and Naruto learned water walking just as fast as Sakura learned tree walking, what does that make him? Especially since water walking is HARDER than tree walking.

No.... Sakura learned tree walking after seeing it once. Naruto spent a lot of time at the pool. Then Jiraiya showed up. Then he spent more time on the lake. True his chakra was messed up, however even taking that into account it took him a lot longer then it took Sakura to master tree walking.
Also I never said it made them chunin level. I said it made them ready to take a shot at the chunin exams. Additionaly it allowed Sasuke to beat 6 of the clones that were incredibly stronger then Naruto AND Sasuke combined before the training. Keep in mind he used NO jutsu when he did this. He just used pure speed and his taijutsu technique.
If by the latest chapters you mean 315, I have read it. Kakashi explicitly states that he can't match Naruto in KB because of the chakra consumption. He never mentions that the technique requires insane skill to learn. Additionaly despite the fact that it is origonally refered to as Kinjutsu (Forbidden Jutsu) almost every ninja above genin level appears to know about it. Many can do it. Additionaly it is stated over and over that the hardest part about KB is that it consumes an inordinate amount of chakra. In the latest chapters Kakashi reaffirms this by stating that he can't do KB as well as Naruto can because he doesn't have the chakra.
page where KB is said to be Jounin level jutsu NOT a Kinjutsu
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby nuclear death frog » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:17 pm

Shadell wrote:No.... Sakura learned tree walking after seeing it once. Naruto spent a lot of time at the pool. Then Jiraiya showed up. Then he spent more time on the lake. True his chakra was messed up, however even taking that into account it took him a lot longer then it took Sakura to master tree walking.

Uh, as I recall, Ebisu started teaching Naruto the technique, and Naruto couldn't do it. That is true.
However, Naruto was still suffering the effects of Orochimaru's Five Element Seal, which was further impairing his already poor control by cutting off the flow of chakra from the Ninetails -- which Naruto was at least *used to*, because he'd had it all his life.
Once Jiraiya broke that seal of Orochimaru's, Naruto was able to stand on water immediately. Clearly he already knew how to -- the extra seal just didn't permit him to.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas