Ranma-More than half- At Hogwarts.

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Ranma-More than half- At Hogwarts.

Postby LiliandraNadiar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Lot of people fall into the Slytherin=Baddie/Gryffindor=Heroes trap. Cunning and ambition are the 'prized' traits, not megalomania or psychosis. Yes most Death Eaters were slytherins, but not all syltherins were DEs. Daphne Greengrass and her friend Tracy Davis are slytherins, but not Death Eaters. Neither (as far as they're taken in the books anyways) are capable of murder. Now the High Profile Slytherins are another story, but as far as I could tell, a good portion of the house stay low and do their work.

As such, I think Kodachi would be a good fit in Ravenclaw, insanity aside, she's brilliant with poisons, and that takes more then a little bit of smarts. Or, to really mess with readers heads, put her in Gryffindor. She's certainly bold enough to fit the criteria. :p
When in danger, or in doubt;
Run in circles, scream and shout
LiliandraNadiar
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:07 am

That's part of why I DLed most of the books earlier today. To actually finally read them. But you have to admit a majority of the named Slytherins seem to be more inclined to have personal ambitions for private gains as opposed to gains for a greater good. Ambition can easily run both ways, and more.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:57 am

I still think that Ranma's single-mindedness in the pursuit of martial excellence could easily be turned into the same thing for magic. In that sense, I think he would match decently with Ravenclaw in a very non-traditional manner, but nothing says that the house decisions are based on traditional, classic matches.

Between Hufflepuff and Gryff... I'd probably go Puff. Ranma is extremely loyal to most of his friends, going as far as doing really stupid things to help them sometimes, though I suppose that seems to be a trait of both houses. I just don't see him having enough cunning for Slytherin though.

For Nerimites at Hogwarts, I'd like to see Tofu teaching an upper-level elective in healing. I think he fits the bill pretty much perfectly. I would be against having a Tendo at Hogwarts, though if you had to pick one, either Kasumi as a puff (she seems the type) or Nabiki as a snake. Of the younger crowd, I'd like to see Konatsu taken to Hogwarts after being rescued from his relatives. Super ninja skills + magic seem like a good combo. No need to bring Kuno though, Draco can easily fill his role.

As for the cat: N-chan or C-chan, of course. Except, Ranma strikes me as being slightly more apt at naming things than Akane.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah. Ranma isn't an Akane when it comes to naming conventions. And this Familiar is really the damaged part of his soul given its own life so it no longer has to suffer from not having its own existence or cause pain by being a constant/connected manifestation of the worst part of Ranma's life.

That doesn't mean the separation is an instant cure for the fears but how do you stay afraid of a part of your soul that isn't actively hurting you?

If it wasn't for the Ranko name really not making much sense beyond the panic of the moment it was spawned in I'd think that might be workable. But no this isn't some half arsed attempt to rename after half a name has already been spoken.

So what are good names that would fit for a Boy a Girl or a cat of either gender?(not that it will remain variable but Ranma isn't a student of divination. So foretelling the future isn't on the agenda.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Ok leaving the Ranma time line as it is for the moment.

There is a suggestion for Kasumi to be a Hufflepuff. I think that might be a good addition. But she's training to become a Medi-witch. Maybe also going into shamanistic/spiritualist arts in hopes of learning spells to ease her broken family.

She is the only Tendo Daughter going to Magical School because she was already accepted before her mother fell ill. And after Mother Tendo died Soun refused to allow any more of his girls to be consumed by such an evil society that wouldn't save his wife. He refuses to believe there are sicknesses that even Magic cannot cure.

Kasumi's duties in the house for the time she is actually in school are mostly handled by a neighbor witch (The old ladle lady comes to mind) using Poly juice. They agree to keep the personality subdued as Kasumi was after the funeral so its easier to trade off without tipping the others off.

Dr Tofu however I see more likely to be in the role of an extracurricular or elective instructor instead of a Hogwarts teacher. Possibly only spending weekends at Hogwarts passing on his knowledge of physical magic. Spells through pressure points and manipulating the body's chakrahs to let its natural energies heal things more efficiently than most magics or potions. Without the expense of some of the rarer, more potent, potions. He uses a port key to be able to get back to his Nerima clinic every week.

That way he remains in place as the Tendo doctor and to service his community while also teaching his family practice to the wizards and witches of Hogwarts.

Edit: I could see Principal Kuno as a Magic School Flunkie. Wand Broken like Hagrid. But still getting married to his School Sweetheart who also a pure blood graduated from Slytherin. Tatewaki ends up a Squib and Kodachi ends up attending classes for the first few years (Make her the same age as Ranma.) But when her Mother dies she snaps forcing her to be withdrawn from school before she is expelled after 4 years at most.

Tatewaki ends up seeing his Father as a Magical source of many of his ills and then he sees the Magic school apparently destroyed his sister and Sorcerers become the bane of his existence within his mind as he too slips away from reality building his own fantasy world to filter his perceptions.

Edit Again: If you are wondering how the Ladle Lady could stand in for Kasumi and still be there to splash Ranma. Don't forget that while they are limited in supply Time turners have been known to be owned by people. But that's not a situation for this story. Just saying how the old lady could still have her own life while substituting for Kasumi as the Tendo Domestic.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:41 am

Sometimes I ask myself if I'm the only one to notice a similarity between Hogwarts's four houses and society's four classes.

Slytherin = Rulers and royalty (managers)
Gryffindor = Fighters and warriors (soldiers and firemen)
Ravenclaw = Scholars and clerics (teachers and scientists)
Hufflepuff = Serfs and farmers (the people that keep the world working)

As an aside, I identify with the 'Claws.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:13 pm

simple and to the point for a name....but how about Kitty......
i know but its all i could think of....unless you think about using ababy name book.....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah kinda looking at Babynames.com and some of the different language words for cat spirits and what not. Also looking at lists of Japanese names.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby StarEyed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:45 am

Shanami wrote: I just don't see him having enough cunning for Slytherin though.

Cunning? Maybe not, although he can be quite good at manoeuvring stronger opponents into situations where he can win i.e. Herb and Saffron.

But Slytherins are also ambitious - and you can't say that Ranma's desire to be the best martial artist out there isn't that.

Nor do members of a house have to embody all the house traits. Can anyone remember Crabbe or Goyle ever acting cunning or ambitous in the books? Personally I always thought they should be in Hufflepuff, as the only trait we ever see in them is loyalty to Draco. Who himself, while ambitious, shows barely a hint of cunning until the sixth book - where he's suddenly organising (rather ill thought out) attempts on Dumbledore's life and a surprisingly sucessful invasion of Hogwarts.

Although I'm really playing devils advocate here, as I can't really see Ranma as a member of that house. He really wouldn't fit in well there when compared with the personalities of the rest of the house, even if he does have some ot their house traits. Then again that could be amusing in and of itself...
Last edited by StarEyed on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarEyed
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

I think the sorting hat put them all into slytherin more for the fact they were already a group of bullies looking to elevate themselves by beating down opposition. More or less seeing themselves as a solid unit. And their motives made the house choice more than anything.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Just a thought referring to the Ladle Lady... she doesn't need to be in place to splash Ranma as it is implied that he would be off at Hogwarts, and I don't see her as being quite that malicious in her water flinging games.

Based on the premise you outlined, it seems like Ranma will be getting to Hogwarts before Nerima, so if you want the ladle lady to wash her sidewalk at some point during the day but spend the rest of the time polyjuiced as Kasumi you could. That said, since there doesn't seem to be much reason to go to Nerima in the first place, Kasumi could just go to Hogwarts and refuse to come home at her father's request, keeping in mind that Hogwarts starts at 11. Similarly, Kodachi could just be at Hogwarts, with the rest of the Kuno madness going on as you stated because based on the tentative timeline you suggested, her mother does not die and she does not go insane until she's already had a few years of schooling. In fact, this could lean very easily towards a Ranma/Kodachi friendship/relationship assuming they meet in school.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 pm

All true. I was just using it as an example that even with filling in she could still do all she is known to do. Just temporarily living a double life and taking the time needed to still do all she needs for both. Like I said it isn't an idea that is needed for this continuity.

It could also lead to one of the few multihouse friendships that includes Slytherin.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:24 am

True, Kodachi would make an excellent Slytherin. She's smart and cunning, she's not averse to using underhanded tactics, but I could see her being generally likable before the death of her mother if you chose to cast her that way. In the manga, she comes off as arrogant and a bit nuts but this would clearly predate that and is in another universe entirely.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:45 am

I was thinking of a Pre-insanity Kuno family. Technically the Dad will still be a bit loopy after having had his wand broken but the rest are as stable as your average pure blood family. (Yes I just wrote that. They might be polarized but they are often allot more stable than the Kuno's)
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Comparing pretty much anyone to someone with a palm tree growing on their head and you're going to find the other people to be more stable.

In fact... I think that might qualify as an absolute truth.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas