Sakaki as familiar; Azumanga in Helgekenia

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Sakaki as familiar; Azumanga in Helgekenia

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm

I was toying with the idea with Sakaki (of Azumanga Daioh) as being summoned as a familiar to Louise (Familiar of Zero). I didn't want to give Sakaki the powers of the Gandalfr that Saito had (superspeed, weapons mastery), and wanted something more reflective of Sakaki herself.

One option was to give her a better version of her natural talents -- Sakaki was physically adept, good at sports without even being competitive. She's also comparatively bright (which isn't really saying much, given some of the cast of Azumanga).

But how about affinity to animals? Either that, or animals and familiars treat her like kamineko does. Why brings me to the question: why _does_ kamineko bite her?

Among the theories I've seen is that kamineko simply dislikes sakaki. Not dislike as in the usual cat-dislike (if cats dislike you, they will (1) ignore you (2) leave your presence (3) hiss if you try to pet it/scratch if you persist (4) all of the above), but dislike as in "I enjoy giving you pain."

Story-wise, I was thinking of making ALL animals react this way to Sakaki. Upon being summoned, the students, as usual, taunt Louse... up until the bond they have with their familiars kick in and they realize that their familiars suddenly tense up in her presence, kinda like a herd of zebra that knows a lion is in the bushes; if you watch nature shows you'll see that the zebras don't run away unless the lion starts giving chase, and kamineko was unique in that he knew that Sakaki was actually harmless. The weaker familiars (frogs, cats, birds) avoid her, but the stronger ones would tend to act like Kamineko.

"That's right! A fire lizard! See, look at the tail. A flame this vivid and large means it's without a doubt a salamander from the Fire Dragon Mountains! It's like a brand! Collectors can't even put a price on these!"

"That's nice," Louise said, her voice bitter.

"Isn't it? It matches my affinity perfectly!"

"Your affinity is Fire, isn't it?"

"Of course. After all, I'm Kirche the Ardent. The ardent of gently -- Flame no! No eating other mages' familiars!" Sakaki had, apparently, tried to pet the salamander. Flame had his mouth wide open, teeth posed over Sakaki's bandaged hand. Kirche had had the salamander only for a day, but she had seen the same expression on its face when she fed it the night before with a side of beef she had smuggled from the kitchen.

Flame withdrew sullenly.

Or something to that effect.

Or, alternatively, Sakaki has animal affinity and befriends the various familiars with ease, Kamineko simply being a malicious exception. Hey, she had a pet wild cat. Not too fond of this -- less humor potential, and kinda makes Sakaki sue-ish.

The rest of the cast were brought along with Sakaki being summoned, but not at the Tristain Academy. They end up in different parts of the continent, but I have to read more of the novels to form a idea where. Osaka turning out to be a void mage (and managing to found a new religion) is almost a given.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Sakaki as familiar; Azumanga in Helgekenia

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 am

Do it! It would be awesome! (Especially religious figurehead Osaka!)

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about the prospects of Sakaki without the Gandalfr powers. I think she might need something at least equivalent for herself and Louise to survive the upcoming events (or at least, wind up getting involved in them rather than sitting back in the academy as Zero and familiar...).

I have a few suggestions. The first is, as you said, an enhancement of Sakaki's natural traits. She is highly talented athletically, and also quite tall. She might not like either of these points, which only makes her potential reactions to this upcoming power I'm about to explain more amusing. The power is, when channeling power from Louise through the familiar bond, she can grow to large sizes (as if hit by a D&D type enlarge person spell, or something like that) and gain proportionate enhancements to strength, toughness, and speed. Basically, she turns into a giant version of herself, with inhuman toughness, strength, and speed, sort of like She-Hulk or something. (What happens to Sakaki's clothes is they can either grow with her, or not if you want comedy and/or ecchi values) You can still have creatures liking/not-liking her depending on story choices and comedy value, this might also change depending on her current size which creatures like and don't like her.

The next is an extension of your 'friends with familiars' idea. I'd like to note how the Iroimote Wildcat liked her, but kamineko and the domesticated city cats didn't. Sakaki has an affinity for natural creatures, but it isn't exactly a normal one, in fact, they see her as one of their own, a fellow wild-creature, only one outside of the food-chain and automatically considered neutral/friendly. Kamineko on the other hand saw her as a harmless but potentially dangerous wild-creature intruding on his territory. The familiars and creatures of Tristan see her much the same way. Most of the familiars like her, except ones related to domesticated creatures. Horses, except wild ones, hate her, as do dogs, cats, and other domesticated creatures, treating her much like a scary predator or kamineko does. But it doesn't just go that far, her affinity for 'natural' creatures is enhanced to the point she can channel their powers. She can 'borrow' powers from another familiar (or magical creature of that world) temporarily by touching them. Touching a Salamander would give her fire powers. Touching a dragon would give her flight, dragon-breath, and enhanced strength and toughness. Touching that mole-critter would give her an affinity for rocks and gems and the ability to sense them, and super-digging powers, and make it so that she can sort of cut and dig with a swipe of her hands. She is surrounded by a sort of 'aura' like one of the creatures she is channeling while this power is active.

The next is another extension of such, only instead of channeling their powers, she can command, or at least speak to and manipulate unattached creatures, and speak to most familiars. Thus she will eventually form a small army of 'familiars' made up of wild creatures she encounters in that world who become attached to her, she is able to command with her powers, and takes care of, like some sort of druid with a bunch of animal companions or something like that. Basically she winds up commanding a small army of supernatural creatures like griffons, dragons, salamanders, bugbears, etc.

Also, I'd kinda like to see Chiyo either as a high level mage, or a non-mage of such genius that she starts developing technology to compete with mages. Oh, and Tomo as a wannabe fake-mage, who dresses up and basically pretends to be a mage, maybe even fools some commoners, and dumber nobles, but has no actual powers, just a lot of ego and erm... energy...
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Sakaki as familiar; Azumanga in Helgekenia

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 am

Also, I'd kinda like to see Chiyo either as a high level mage, or a non-mage of such genius that she starts developing technology to compete with mages. Oh, and Tomo as a wannabe fake-mage, who dresses up and basically pretends to be a mage, maybe even fools some commoners, and dumber nobles, but has no actual powers, just a lot of ego and erm... energy...

That has definite possibilities. On one hand Tristain has Louise and Sakaki, another kingdom has an upstart void mage that some people are calling a returned Brimir, and another is developing into a technological one with Chiyo influencing it. While Chiyo is still just a high school student despite her intelligence, she would have a firm grasp on basic chemistry (at least, high-school level chemistry, which is enough to create some basic industrial acids, salts, some metalwork and electroplating, maybe the steam engine or the internal combustion engine, penicillin), not to mention exposure to advanced teaching techniques and of course, earthly world history and alternative forms of government (mages will be first to the wall when the revolution comes!). Tomo I'm thinking of being lumped with Osaka as her right hand (yes, as a fake mage), Yomi with Chiyo. The three sides will eventually butt head against each other, but they won't be aware that the others are on each side. Kagura ends up a mercenary of sorts (maybe on Albion's side; not necessarily fighting, maybe just support personnel), and will be the first to see Sakaki on the battlefield. I'm debating on including the Yukari and Nyamo; if they are included, likely they'll just be bit roles -- maybe working as waitresses in Tristain, basically for humor value than any plot value.

As for Sakaki, strength and speed beyond human norm. Not very well controlled, either -- Sakaki will tend to break things. Enlargement is also a possibility. Sakaki can be protective of cute things (and Louise is cute), and when Louise is in danger Sakaki hulks out (maybe during Fouquet's attack would be the first instance). Ripping clothes definitely has some humor value. One thing I don't quite like about the Familiar of Zero series is the harem aspect of it, and if I write this I'll be trying to leave it out. With Sakaki ripping clothing, some of the void in humor left by removing the harem aspect can be replaced a bit (with Montmorency beating on Guiche, for example).

A question of Familiar of Zero -- in the anime, do the characters use japanese honorifics (-san, -sama, etc) when talking? The translated novels don't have them.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Ideas