Redheads inspired. Is the cross impossible?

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Is it impossible? (Multiple changeable choice)

Maybe... Haven't seen one where it was really Ranma with Lina that is complete.
31%
Maybe... Haven't seen one where it was really Ranma with Lina that is complete.
28%
Yes, I know one
No votes
Yes, I know one
No votes
Yes
14%
Yes
14%
No
No votes
No
No votes
I doubt it can actually survive their personalities without going OOC
7%
I doubt it can actually survive their personalities without going OOC
7%

Total votes : 29

Re: Redheads inspired. Is the cross impossible?

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 pm

A Nanban mirror on the Slayers world. Lina puts it in a summoning circle to try to summon the spirit of someone who knows how it works. She can detect its magical after all.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 07, 2011 8:46 am

Just mentioning it because the Mirror doesn't have to be on the Ranma side to get them there. I just read a story where I'm pretty sure the person Lina was trying to summon drowned in the Spring of Drowned Girl after being sent through time and dimensions by a magic accident. So who else (by averages in coincidence.) would that summoning attempt latch on to?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat May 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Just mentioning it because the Mirror doesn't have to be on the Ranma side to get them there. I just read a story where I'm pretty sure the person Lina was trying to summon drowned in the Spring of Drowned Girl after being sent through time and dimensions by a magic accident. So who else (by averages in coincidence.) would that summoning attempt latch on to?

You are thinking of Twins of Flame by Miriani. That's a link to the prologue. I wish it was continued, it had an interesting start.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Actually its an incomplete draft of a fic written about the same time by a friend. Its pretty rough.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat May 07, 2011 3:30 pm

, and I think that Lina could definitely learn something from the adaptability of Anything Goes.

AFAIK, Lina is an "anything goes" magic user. It's easy to miss begind her love for the epic kabooms, but she knows a lot of useful minor spells (wasn't the fishing spell her invention?). She can research, she is good at crafting magical items. I'm pretty sure shed' show her true brilliance... if she met a problem not solvable by more firepower.

P.S. I just imagined Lina and Gourry meeting Ranma with Tatewaki trailing her :shock: That'd make two perfect couples :lol:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 07, 2011 3:54 pm

And what happens when Tatewaki meets Naga?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat May 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Spokavriel wrote: And what happens when Tatewaki meets Naga?

Naga would accept his adoration as only her due.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Shanami » Sat May 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Cheb wrote:if she met a problem not solvable by more firepower.

Blasphemy. If bigger explosions don't work, you clearly aren't making big enough explosions.

And I'd be a lot more concerned about Martina, Naga, and Kodachi meeting up than anyone else.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm

I just imagined Naga and Kodachi being matter/antimatter twins. Should the two of them ever meet...
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 am

Tirfarthuan wrote:There is potential, of that I have no doubt, and I think that Lina could definitely learn something from the adaptability of Anything Goes. Magic in the world of Slayers seems almost stagnant - nobody really creates new spells, they simply dig up old, semi-forbidden or outright insane ones, including the very-much-forbidden Giga Slave spell (*cough* 'Summon God' *cough*) or find mystical artifacts to empower their mainstream ones. This is very much the opposite of the Nerima mentality, where the martial artists slice, splice and outright invent moves and styles to accomplish their goals. Genma created two schools of techniques. Genma! And the closest thing Slayers has to that is Rezo the Red Mage, who hasn't really done much in the way of spell creation. For a world of magic, Slayers is very set in their ways. I can understand not really being able to do one better than the Giga Slave, but surely someone can come up with a better spell than Ra Tilt for non-black mages.

Actually, if you pay closer attention to the anime, or read the light novels (I'm not sure about the manga) Lina invents numerous new spells, and she likely isn't the only one. Sure most of the high level spells like Giga Slave already existed, but I'd like to note that after accessing the Clair Bible, Lina actually created alternate versions of the Giga Slave and Ragna Blade, and I believe the Ragna Blade mod she made on the fly, if I recall correctly. One spell she invented whole cloth was the one she uses to create giant cut gems, she can take a small, but flawless (or near so) cut gem, and a whole bunch of crushed up flawed gem dust, mix the gem dust in water, and create some simple pentagram based magic circles, then use a simple spell she created to turn the gem dust and water into a larger cut flawless gem. It's one of the main ways Lina eeks more money out of some of her finds, and saves on carrying weight and obvious value of her belongings, since flawed gems aren't worth much, nor are particularly small gems, but she can, with a moment of privacy and a small bit of magic, turn the flawed gems using the tiny cut flawless ones as a base into much more valuable large flawless cut gems, and gems weigh less than equivalent bags of gold.

Lina has also figured out numerous variations of the basic fireball spell, turned the basic light spell into a flare effect to blind enemies, and invented the technique to absorb spells with the Sword of Light in order to temporarily enhance it's powers.

There are other forms of spell creation in the series. Rezo the Red Priest developed new and original chimera creating techniques which were used on Zelgadis. Rezo also created various original mazoku/human fusions, including the Rezo clone which itself created an original form of magic combining both human and Mazoku techniques. In some recent stuff mages have made new techniques related to various modified Zannafar stuff. I've heard that Lina creates a spell to use the Dragon Slave like a sword at some point, as an alternative to the more dangerous Ragna Blade. Slayers isn't without the creation of new spells and techniques. Although I'll admit it doesn't often prove prominent in the bigger fights.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Previous

Return to Ideas