Usagi & the Japanese Spring of Drowned Ginger Fighting Girl

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Usagi & the Japanese Spring of Drowned Ginger Fighting Girl

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok here's the sitch. Ranma not only fails in the fight at Mt Horai the collapse of the mountain mortally wounds her still locked body. But before dieing she falls into the waters gathering around the base of what is left of the mountain. Forming a cursed spring. Others discover it much like other Jusenkyo type springs, usual water triggers. But one day a 12 year old Usagi Tsukino happens to fall in. And she gets more than just the curse.

Welcome back Ranma Saotome. Spirit of the Spring of Drowned Ginger Fighting Girl. What happens when Usagi learns she has a guy in her head. What about the fact she has perfect balance and can seriously kick arse in her cursed form? How do her parents and little brother take it? At least a few years later when Chibi-Usa comes along the hair color won't be as much of a surprise.

Should the NWC still be around? How would they react to a 12 year old Ranma-chan? Would Ranma try to meet up with them and see how things worked out? Don't forget it gives more than a year for Ranma and Usagi to come to terms before her life would have normally gone akimbo. Is that too much time? Would it be better to have it closer to the start of Sailor Moon events? Or even after she becomes Sailor Moon?

I know allot of questions and not many plot points. I've just seen so many spring of drowned Senshi but never a Senshi in a spring of Drowned Ranma-chan Think anyone out there could pull this one off?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Usagi & the Japanese Spring of Drowned Ginger Fighting Girl

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:33 am

I'd like to see that. Turning a common story upside-down can be interesting if the writer follows all the way through.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:07 am

If I only had a way to manage a prize I'd try to make this a challenge. Any Senshi falling into the Spring of Drowned Ranma-chan before they get involved in the Senshi story line. Tell a good tale that incorporates the changes and see which Senshi's story works out best for it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:38 pm

I found a slight problem... Did you know Mt Horai really exists? I just pulled up a map along with a walking estimate for travel between Nerima and there. And well there is no reason it took Ranma Ryouga and Mu Tse as long as it appears to.
Nerima to Mount Horai Walking.JPG
Nerima to Mount Horai Walking.JPG (202.35 KiB) Viewed 16293 times

I mean when you think about it this estimate would really put a real person's travel by road at 1 week after stops for meals and resting. Would Crossing the Mountains in a more direct line be that much worse or take so much longer for martial artists that can leap 2 and 3 stories and across both streets and rivers in canals of Tokyo?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 am

There's one thing that wasn't made clear enough, at least to me. You mentioned that Ranma would be in Usagi's head, and later it sounds like Ranma goes to meet the "NWC" (ugh) under his (her) own power. So, to clarify, is Ranma just a mental presence, or can he (she) have control of the body (Usagi's cursed form, at least) if Usagi allows it?

As for the thing with Mt. Horai... I'm not sure what you're basing your "appears" on, in regard to the time it took them to reach their destination. To start, there is only one definite indicator for how much time has passed (as far as I'm aware): they leave the morning following the events at the nekohanten (where Ramna's curse is locked), the furo (where Ranma discovers that he can't change into a guy), and the dojo (where Ryoga and Mousse appear to offer their "aid"). The only other clue is when a woman at the hotel asks Ranma if she could clean the baths that day as well, which suggests that she (and the other two) had been working there for at least two days.

Now, if one assumes that they took a long time to reach Mt. Horai, it really shouldn't be surprising if you'd read the story. Even though they began their trip on a train, Mousse lost their money and the map they needed to get to where they were going. So, on top of needing to earn money (which they presumably need for their trip), and no longer knowing how to get to where they need to go, it's understandable if they had to spend days or longer making no progress at all. It was only by chance that Herb had gone to the hotel where they worked, and were thus able to make it to Mt. Horai by following their trail from there.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Ranma had gotten several days ahead of Herb (who appears to have traveled the entire distance on foot) by using the train. Since Ranma ended up arriving at their destination by following Herb instead of getting there first, Ranma essentially arrives at Mt. Horai at whatever Herb's pace on foot had been -- which is unknown.

Also, what do you have against ginger? :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am

I have nothing against Ginger. I just used it to emphasize that its a Red Headded Ranma-chan I am basing this on. I also had a Grand Aunt (Grandmothers Sister) that was named Ginger but that is irrelevant. I might not have red hair but it is in the family history.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 am

I rarely if ever enjoy a story where you kill off the main character and then have them appear in another's head so the premise as written isn't something I can really get behind. Maybe setting the spring up like Akane/Kiima where he doesn't actually drown in it so Usagi just turns into his/her twin at the age of the drowning and also gets his skills. That would be a far more interesting point to me with a older Ranma seeing a younger version of herself walking around or seeing her on the news fighting in a miniskirt. Having him in the head with her...feels like the waste of a character.

On a unrelated note...You've got AOL installed on your computer? Dear God why?
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:26 am

Spokavriel wrote: I have nothing against Ginger. I just used it to emphasize that its a Red Headded Ranma-chan I am basing this on. I also had a Grand Aunt (Grandmothers Sister) that was named Ginger but that is irrelevant. I might not have red hair but it is in the family history.

I know what you meant, but I felt like poking at your choice of word placement. As is, it reads as ginger-fighting girl. Two ways to fix it would be: "drowned fighting ginger girl," and "drowned ginger-headed/haired fighting girl." Or thereabouts. I prefer the second one.

Say, would Usagi be uncomfortable (in some way) with hearing a male voice, and prefer to hear a female voice so she isn't always reminded that she has a guy in her head?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Character limit on Subject line. I couldn't fit in hair and putting ginger right with girl made me think of the ginger bread man. That is why I have it phrased as it is.

As to having Ranma die and end up in someone's head. I know not everyone likes those things. And I am really only proposing that because this is not an already empowered site. Jusenkyo has its own sources of power to draw on and has the transformation curse in place. Without Ranma the only energy source would be what the Kettle? Its a bit harder to sell that as being enough to keep a spring going where someone didn't even drown. Look at how fleeting it was attempting to tie the Tendo pond to Jusenkyo magic? It didn't even last long enough for anyone to get wet in it.

Its kinda like all the author fiat forced destiny things. This fic idea doesn't really have much of a chance to get going without Ranma creating a spring. But how many places can you make a spring that would have a chance for the Senshi to get to? I'd really like to see stories like this but as your counter point proves its already not for everyone right off the bat.

AOL is on this computer because it is a hand me down. One of the things I do is take on my family's old computers make sure they stay operable and at the same time clean up the damage they did to them while trying to maintain all their saved data. Sadly in this case AOL was used and has data in it that even though it would not be lost would be unreadable because of the way it was saved if AOL is removed. Dumb E-Mail saving... Its frustrating. But until I get another Ethernet cable that is 3 feet longer my usual comp is a bit out of reach with the way I've rearranged furnishings.

Back to CPR's comment I was just thinking about the Ranma voice in Usagi's head bit. What if it is based on Ranma's self image and Ranma is unknowingly switching from male to female thought voice? Making Usagi think there might even be 2 people in her head at some points? But when it comes to things like Ice Cream its definitely another girl's voice? Maybe they could even have some merging of the memories over time and Ranma slowly lose the male identity? But not for a long while at least through first season events. Just ask Dave from 2001 A Space Odyssey without a body its hard to maintain a sexual identity.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 pm

And I am really only proposing that because this is not an already empowered site. Jusenkyo has its own sources of power to draw on and has the transformation curse in place. Without Ranma the only energy source would be what the Kettle? Its a bit harder to sell that

Magical spring. Sell it however you like it. Maybe Herb dies and his 'draconic power' creates the spring or something. If you don't want to kill Ranma off there are ways to make it believable without killing the guy. Hell maybe even a fake-out Ranma imprinted in the spring but survived. Usagi falls in and a copy of Ranna's consciousness at that time copies over. Again, really hate these dead in the spring crosses.

I'd really like to see stories like this but as your counter point proves its already not for everyone right off the bat.

That's because the character you want to use in the cross is dead. It makes the interest level itself die too. Most of these stories revolve around the possibility that the characters therein can die. If the start of your story already has a character dead...You've got little to build on. Would it be neat for me to read a story with a bad ass fighter Usagi? Yes. Would it be neat to see Ranma training Usagi in some form? Yes. Do I want a 16 year old male to be forced into a twelve year old girls mind and train her in that way? God no you realize that is damned disturbing right?

merging of the memories over time and Ranma slowly lose the male identity

So not only is Ranma going to be dead but you're also going to rape his mind too? Again why is Ranma in her head in the first place then? If that's your end plot point have Ranma die, have Usagi fall in the spring, have Usagi instantly gain better physical conditioning and red hair/older body, and have Usagi grow a large interest in the martial arts. While I wouldn't particularly like Ranma dying right off I could still find that story interesting. It also gets you to the same point without graphically killing and raping a character slowly over time.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 pm

This isn't so much about the martial arts as it is the conflict of personalities. Its to have character growth. Character as in the aspects of ones behavior and nature not just the skills learned. In a way its an attempt to cut Ranma away from everything forcing the Male point of view and proposing a situation where a better understanding of the other side has a chance to happen. In short simply changing the parts with the curse wasn't opening Ranma's eyes.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 am

Huh? Ranma is dead. Character growth for him doesn't matter in this setup. If he somehow regains his own body fine otherwise what does it matter if he grows more used to his curse hes a voice in someone elses head. A dead voice.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Remember the big event at the end of season one? A little thing involving resurrection? Why couldn't Ranma-chan and Usagi end up seperate again from that? But of course Usagi doesn't know Male Ranma. And what would balance or be a counter point to the Moon if Ranma became a new Senshi?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Dead people can experience character growth. Lord knows how many instances I've seen spirits being bad or mischievous who learn that that's not the way to act, or that there are better ways to deal with whatever problem they have. So long as something can think for itself, I believe that it can experience character growth no matter what it is, regardless of what one's idea of "alive" is.

As to the matter of creating the spring, it shouldn't be too hard. We're talking about magic, after all. And there's no evidence that the kettle (or the ladle, for that matter) was taken by either party as the mountain fell. Ryoga had the kettle last, when he was holding it in the water that was being sucked into the tornado. But it was already out of his hands by the time he saw that Ranma had encountered the hot water (and had thus become male again). It's not seen in anyone's hands during the escape, so it's not a stretch to say that the kettle wasn't saved.

That just leaves us with the magic, and since there's no obvious rhyme or reason to how it works, there shouldn't be a problem using the explanation that the kettle was damaged or destroyed, which allowed its magic to act odd and/or escape. Then it's just a matter of it interacting with the magic of Ranma's curse while they're both in water. And if the whole being dead thing becomes too much of an issue, you could say instead that the magic trapped Ranma in the water, meaning that he's alive but others may not think so because they don't find a body. So when Usagi comes along and gets cursed with Ranma's female form, he has just as much control over their shared existence as she does. (They both can control either body, that is. Which I'd think would be more humorous in addition to creating more opportunities for characters growth, since Ranma's no longer a passive participant in this case.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 am

Why couldn't Ranma-chan and Usagi end up seperate again from that? But of course Usagi doesn't know Male Ranma. And what would balance or be a counter point to the Moon if Ranma became a new Senshi?

So that's your goal from all of that? OK I can see the story being interesting then if the advancement to the end of Season 1 is pretty rapid. A resurrected female senshi Ranma suddenly re-entering existence and having to fit in I can get behind as something I'd like to read. I still find the initial premise off-putting though.

So long as something can think for itself, I believe that it can experience character growth no matter what it is, regardless of what one's idea of "alive" is.

True if the whole story revolves around spirits. This did not seem to since as summarized it seems the main points of conflict would be Usagi's and Ranma was simply a passenger. That he gained a body back so he could actually be an agent in his own destiny makes that development worthwhile again. The stories you refer to that have a spirit only as an observer who has no agency in anything really don't interest me.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas