Help! (Designing Val's Angel)

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Help! (Designing Val's Angel)

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:32 am

Yesterday, my Angel Egg got delivered, and now I need help with designing her!
Decided on the name Beautiful Frost, but I have no idea on what she should look like, so any and all suggestions are welcome.
Two things to remember, she's a young angel, like Noble Scarlet
And she's an angel for a succubus who's Mara and Urd's Daughter (i.e. only quarter goddess.)
(And remember how good Urd is with potions, when they work, before you wonder how that's possible.)
So please, help me design my angel :D :D :D :D
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:18 am

http://www.aaaanime.com/cat.asp?view=item&code=4943209560011C
Now this one might be a good basis for my angel...

That's a good idea. It's my favorite set of wings from all of that figure line, and you'd just have to remove the Sachiel heads from her hair and give her a smoke trail lower body like the other angels have.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Dragon Man » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:28 pm

lwf58 wrote:
http://www.aaaanime.com/cat.asp?view=item&code=4943209560011C
Now this one might be a good basis for my angel...

That's a good idea. It's my favorite set of wings from all of that figure line, and you'd just have to remove the Sachiel heads from her hair and give her a smoke trail lower body like the other angels have.

Yeah, don't want her to stab you in the head with the head piece when giving you a hug.
Speak quietly, pilot a big mech.
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
When in China, listen to your tour guide.
"Stay with the Master Chief - he'll know what to do." - Sgt Johnson, Halo 2.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:23 pm

Check out the rules. Nested quotes are not permitted. No penalty; just avoid doing it in the future.
In any case, other than practical reasons like you mentioned, it just doesn't fit the character to have those head ornaments. We're talking about AMG as the source, so the figure is inspiration for the drawing of a newly-hatched angel Val is going for, not an exact copy of the figure.
I really do wish the figure actually had a face that looks like Rei Ayanami, though. It's the one flaw in some very well-done castings.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:33 pm

Okay, rib along the wings would need a little simplification, as would the shoulders to remove the vague Sariel face impressions, and we simply have the outfit turn into ribbons below her waist, but should I keep the dark blue, or go with a different color? And stay with the hair color? And make the wings slightly more transparent, like they're made of ice?
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm

I think that you should use the same base color for both the hair and wings. Translucent or opaque wings seem better than transparent; none of the other angels from AMG had transparent feathers.
Heh. It just struck me. We're borrowing a design made for an EVA angel to make an AMG angel...!
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Dragon Man » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Good pun. I'll also comment the original wing edge color looks slightly like flame, which could contrast with the angel's name and shares the same theme as Urd being half demon and half Goddess and Val being a Succubus Senshi.
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Dragon Man wrote:Good pun. I'll also comment the original wing edge color looks slightly like flame, which could contrast with the angel's name and shares the same theme as Urd being half demon and half Goddess and Val being a Succubus Senshi.

But Mom's Angel is a flame elemental. I'm Ice/water.
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dragon Man » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:32 am

Valkyrie Ice wrote:But Mom's Angel is a flame elemental. I'm Ice/water.

I was thinking about the contrasts of Demon/Goddess, fire/ice, etc. It would fit for your angel to have some sort of contrast like World of Elegance does with her black and white wings. So an ice/water angel with flame colored wings would be a contrast.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:32 am

allright. Rough Draft
Beautiful Frost:
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 am

This drawing looks good, but the cloth-like end behind the lower body doesn't belong. None of the angels shown in AMG had such a thing.
Wings need just a little more detail. Look at the figure at AAAAnime again; notice that there are lines to suggest the feathers, without actually outlining them individually? And if you follow the AMG style, there is even more detail. While the body of the wings in the pic of Noble Scarlet hasn't all that much more detail than the figure does, the flight feathers are drawn individually, and tend to flow like ribbons.
Here's a good shot of Noble Scarlet as a demo:
If you want to see other examples, that image came from http://gateway.cjb.net/
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Dragon Man » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:51 pm

I love the hair and face, they look very nice. Makes me wish I could draw half as well....
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:39 am

And now, color sketch.
what do you think of this color scheme? And before you fuss Larry, I went spikey with the feathers to go along with the ice theme, thought it looked better.
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Neko- » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 am

IMO the amount of blue needs some other colors to offset it a bit. This is a bit too... blue. Eyes, hair, wings, clothing, all using the same colors.
Secondly, any particular reason for the dotted lines on the chest and abdomen? They look kinda... out of place. A line to signify a breast would look better then a dotted line, and as for the abdomen I don't really think it needs a distinction.
Other then that... Damn. Wish I could draw like that. But I fail at drawing straight stick-figures already, so... :P
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:44 am

Agreed. I can see that you were using the dots to try and define ribs, muscles and skin folds, but it's not a good method. If you want to do that at all, then use shadows and highlighting. You've already done a little highlighting on the wings and hair, but the rest of the image has nothing.
Colors...
Medium blue doesn't say "ice" to me. Pale blue, white, and pale aqua are the colors that fit the theme. The lower body wrap should be the palest of blues with white highlights. The clothing should be white with aqua trim, or a contrasting color to break the monotony. The jewel at the collar should be a bright color, not necessarily related to the theme, to provide contrast. The wings should have a white body, with a white to pale blue fade on on the flight feathers. The "metal" parts should probably be metallic silver or platinum, given the theme.
Hair, eyes, and skin are good, except for the lack of shadows and highlights.
lwf58
Site Master

Next

Return to Fan Art