Sailor Sun by Mike Koos

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Sailor Sun by Mike Koos

Postby Cheb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

I just stumbled on http://jusenkyo.wikia.com/wiki/Ranma_1/ ... ction_Wiki and it made me remember. The version used there (and almost everywhere else) isn't the original one, it was digitally remastered (ad not by the author, AFAIK). The result may look cleaner, but... It lost some subtle details, the face looks much less alive IMO.

Here's the mostly original pencil-colored version, much cuter. I've applied a very careful retouching on the thighs to eliminate color unevenness.
I use it here

Anyone got the pencil original in higher resolution? This one is scaled down to fit my site left column, but I couldn't find the original I retouched it from :( I did this years ago and several computers/operating systems back.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Sailor Sun by Mike Koos

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm

If anyone has it I'd think it would be Makoto. But I do have some ways to up scale images like double size + Soften image, then increase to twice the desired size and soften image again, Then finally shrink to final desired size and sharpen only once. This works in most graphics programs where sharpening and softening are exact opposite processes.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 pm

I actually have a copy of the untouched original I think as well as the chroma effect on my laptop and on my iPhone pictures. The copy on the laptop would be better for up or dowacale but it is in getting the screen replaced from a fall out of a cabinet in the truck. If you want the one from my pic files on the phone, I can upload it to my photobucket account for you to access there
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 am

I haven't found my copy of the original file(s), yet; Becky might still have it, though.

However, if necessary, I can always re-scan the original art (either the line art or the hand-colored version, or both). The only problem would be that it's in my boxes in storage, at the moment, so it might take a couple or so of days. :(

(Edit: Did I use colored pencils on that one? I can't remember, offhand. If I did, however, it was only for the flesh tones. The rest of the colors on that picture were inked with markers. (It wasn't always easy for me to find a set of flesh-tone color markers I liked. :| ))
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 am

I find colored pencils and crayons are the best way to handle flesh tones when doing art by hand. But I think you might have been having texture problems from expecting too much color to end up on the page instantly from the pencils. Its frustrating to get use to but shading properly with them takes patience and allot of repetition filling in the same area. But you can get more depth out of the shading.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 am

I probably didn't use them, in this case. But by that time, I did only use them for the flesh tones, if I did use them - I was mostly using various flesh-tone markers, trying to find something I liked. I didn't have a problem with texturing and coloring using color pencils; I've had a more-expensive art pencil set (I think I bought it for ~$30-40 sometime in the 90s) that tends to blend better, even without that stupid optional blending marker that I never really bothered to try to use.

Only my earliest scanned art was colored completely with color pencil. I switched to markers not long after that - something about the scanners I was using at the time made the pencils look bad no matter what I did with them. :( They don't, now, but I'd still rather color with markers, paints, or a paint program. :)
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

Makoto wrote:Only my earliest scanned art was colored completely with color pencil. I switched to markers not long after that - something about the scanners I was using at the time made the pencils look bad no matter what I did with them. :( They don't, now, but I'd still rather color with markers, paints, or a paint program. :)

I use watercolors, but I've had the same scanner problem. Mine tries to give an even, unblemished background, and it does that by throwing away the faintest part of the image. Had trouble with that on old photos, too.

So I found some cellophane that was just the lightest shade of grey, and put it between the scanner and the art. Presto! Even the faintest image was preserved. Of course I had to run the scan through photoshop to give it full dynamic range ....
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 am

I've never had that problem with my scanner. Then again I've always manually calibrated the color levels on every scan.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Did I use colored pencils on that one? I can't remember, offhand.

I'm sure it was colored with markers. That's why I had to retouch the skin tones.

Long ago, while I haven't forgot to draw yet, I used color pencils. Nowadays? Nothing can beat pen tablet + painting program. My only complaint is that The GIMP doesn't have an option of rotating the canvas.

However, if necessary, I can always re-scan the original art (either the line art or the hand-colored version, or both).

It would be nice to have her boots not clipped (it happened during the scanning, I presume)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 pm

http://www.burgerbecky.com/sailorrankof ... 5-full.jpg

from this one looks like boots were scanned in as well...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Cheb wrote:I'm sure it was colored with markers. That's why I had to retouch the skin tones.

Okay, I've found the picture - but not the original line art sketch (yet), which I'd need if I want to do any sort of re-coloring. On this one, I did use color pencil for the flesh tone, so it obscures some of the lines on the legs and the transparent shoulder flare, as the reprocessed versions likely show well. :oops: Everything else was done using markers.

Odd that the line art wasn't with the colored version, though. There was another Sun picture I did with it, and it did have both versions.

Long ago, while I haven't forgot to draw yet, I used color pencils. Nowadays? Nothing can beat pen tablet + painting program. My only complaint is that The GIMP doesn't have an option of rotating the canvas.

That's what IrfanView is for. :P

I haven't yet been able to get my tablet to work right with my Linux setup. :( Under Windows, on the same machine, I use either Photoshop Elements or The GIMP. If I can find the original line art, I'll experiment with coloring it that way.

It would be nice to have her boots not clipped (it happened during the scanning, I presume)

No, that's how it is in the original picture. I don't always take care to keep away from the edges of the paper when I draw. :mrgreen:

Spokavriel wrote:I've never had that problem with my scanner. Then again I've always manually calibrated the color levels on every scan.

Yes, but this was roughly fifteen years ago, with cheap-end scanners, including a handheld (bleah) - I'd been worried that I'd have to pay a lot for a proper SCSI card and scanner just to get reasonable quality, at the time. Plus, you may be able to tell from some of the really early art (most of it's disappeared by now, I think), but I originally used regular, rather porous paper - not always the best thing to use along with color pencils, even if they're the more expensive kind that blend/cover/shade a little better. :| I currently use smooth/coated paper.

Edit: Battlekrome - Someone (I can't remember if it was Becky, or Kevin (probably Kevin)) 'expanded' the boots for that image. The original sketch is as you see it in the first post.
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 pm

The image pointed to be Battlekrome is the same one I got from fanfic.net as far as I can tell.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:46 am

Kevin Hammel found one of my scans of the original line art (I still haven't found the original line art, just the original colored version), so I've created a new colored version (resized to a lower resolution for posting). The shading is based upon the shading in the original colored version, for no apparent reason. ^_^;

I've also re-scanned the original colored version, as well.
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 am

Ooooh Image
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Fan Art