Gundam- which one?

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Gundam- which one?

Postby Atlan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:32 am

After hearing so much about gundam, i decided to watch it, finally. So i borrow off a friend, "Gundam: Seed Destiny". But with all the flashbacks, and all the other series i hear about, i just have to wonder: What order do they all go in?
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:39 am

I'm no expert. the ones I know about are Gundam Wing, and G Gundam, which are both seperate univereses. I think Gundam Seed is a series in it's own universe as well, and all are seperate from the original Gundam universe.
IOW there are 4 that I know of.
the Gundam original universe
the Gundam Wing universe
the G Gundam universe
and the Gundam Seed universe
beyond that, Clue I Have None.
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Staren » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 am

You almost need a Ph.D in Gundomalogy to understand all the different universes. I'd have to say Gundom Wing would be a nice starter Gundom. I liked it anyway. You'd have to do a Wikipedia search for a full list. There are too many out there.
Staren
Senshi Cadet

Postby ToastedPine » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 am

G is the KEWLEST Shining God Uber Super DUPER Takes 5 minutes to Say all of the Final Finishing Move Gundam!
You probably should start with the earliest series you can get your hands on. More contemporary watchers will get distracted by all the superficially pretty guys and girls and Gundams if they watch those first.
ToastedPine
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Light02 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:27 am

ok there is six know Gundam universes out there each is a bit different,
Universal Century (aka Original Timeline)
most people consider the best gundam timeline
Mobile Suit Gundam Igloo
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam the 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Z Gundam (the best Gundam series out there by some fans)
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (not the best in the fans opionion cause of the first half is more comedic compared to Z Gundam's serious plot)
Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack (what I think was the proposed second half of the Z Gundam seires before it was confirmed to be a movie)
Mobile Suit Gundam F90 a Model/Manga series
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 a sequel to F90 was a proposed next TV series but was force to be a movie when it didn't fair so well
Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam continuation of F91
Mobile Suit V Gundam another good series
Mobile Suit Gundam G-Savoiur Live action movie not considered cannon
now that's the main timeline here's the AU's
Future Century (FC for short this is a homage to Gundams roots the vintage Super Robot Series like Mazinger Z)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
After Colony (AC for short known as a cliffnotes version of MS Gundam 0079 to 0093 (MS Gundam, MS Z Gundam, MS Gundam ZZ and MS Gundam Char's Counterattack) also another seires where the gundams were almost invulnerable)
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing (I'm using a translation of the Japanese name the US release is Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
After War (this was a very good what if of the original one year war)
After War Gundam X
Correct Century (or CC for short this AU was Tomino's attempt to connect the AUs into one timeline)
Turn A Gundam
Cosmic Era (final timeline this one wasn't all that good in most fans opions as it was a major rehash of the UC timeline with designs from other timelines into it)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:32 am

G Gundam is good martial arts anime. the interface is a movement for movement one and has feedback, so if an arm is lost the pilot feels it.
Gundam Wing is good if you want an easy plot to follow and lots of character devolopment (warning this Gundam was designed to attract girls to the gundam universe, as such most of the male cast regulars are bishonen)
Original gundam (aka UC Gundam aka Gundam) is the original, good quality copies are hard to find for download, so buying/renting is necessary. It is the longest canon of all the series as most Gundam falls into it. (if a gundam says its in Universal Century (UC) its part of this canon). Worth watching once at least.
Zeta Gundam, argueably the best gundam ever. It is the sequal to the original Gundam and is supose to be good, but I have not seen it recently.
After War Gundam X is some what good, it despite being tied to UC gundam (canon actually seperates prior to original gundam) it has very little to do with it. Most Gundam is about 'preventing human extinction through war', X is about 'we nearly failed that, well not enough humans left to threaten each other now.' situtation. liked the characters in it and how Gundams are treated in this (as weapons that are hard to beat, but still just weapons) and the tendancy for gundams to actually be patch repaired/upgraded.
Gundam Seed is a very good gundam and the most recent. it ultimately is a retelling of the original Gundam with new twists (some argue this, I don't know why as most stories in Gundam are very close to the original). that said they are also very different, like/hate for one is not necessarily the same for the other.
Gundam Seed Destiny is the sequal to Gundam Seed and as Seed follows the original Gundam, Destiny loosly follows Zeta gundam.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Bliss » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:18 am

While on the subject of Gundam and timelines....
Where does:
- Gundam Neo Experience 0087: Green Divers
- MS Gundam SEED Astray
Fit into all this.... I can assume SEED Astray fits somewhere in to the SEED universe, but post Destiny, Pre-Destiny, not really related... or other?
Hmmm when you're talking about Z Gundam "as being considered the 'best' by some fans" do you mean the 2005-2006 trilogy, or the original 1985-1986 series?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Siden » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:00 am

In terms of best Gundam series, IMHO: Zeta Gundam, Victory Gundam, 0080, Turn A Gundam. Gundam X I have heard good things about, but it was cancelled at 39/49 episodes so the ending is most likely rushed.
SEED and Destiny both fall flat with re-used and poorly executed plot, poor character designs, and bland mecha designs.
Atlan:
Mecha Anime Headquarters is a good site to read about all of the Gundam series.
Light's list is accurate in terms of in-story timeline, bit here it is in terms of releases:
    Universe - Series Name - Year - Format - Available in US?
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam - 1979 - TV, 43 episodes - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam I - 1981 - Movie - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam II - 1981 - Movie - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam III - 1982 - Movie - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 1985 - TV, 50 episodes - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - 1986 - TV, 47 episodes - No
    UC - Gundam: Char's Counterattack - 1988 - Movie - Yes
    UC - Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 1989 - OVA, 6 episodes - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - 1991 - Movie - Yes
    UC - Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory - 1991 - OVA, 13 episodes - Yes
    UC - Gundam 0083: Last Blitz of Zeon - 1992 - Movie - No
    UC - Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - 1993 - TV, 51 episodes - No
    FC - Mobile Fighter G Gundam - 1994 - TV, 49 episodes - Yes
    AC - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing - 1995 - TV, 49 episodes - Yes
    UC - Gundam: The 08th MS Team - 1996 - OVA, 12 episodes - Yes
    AW - After War Gundam X - 1996 - TV, 39 episodes - No (cancelled)
    AC - Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz - 1997 - OVA, 3 episodes - Yes
    UC - 08th MS Team: Miller's Report - 1998 - Movie - Yes
    AC - Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz - 1998 - Movie - Yes
    CC - Turn A Gundam - 1999 - TV, 50 episodes - No
    UC - G-Saviour - 2000 - Live Action - Yes
    Various - Gundam Evolve - 2001->2007 - OVA, 14+ - No
    UC - Green Divers - 2001 - Short Film - No
    CC - Turn A Gundam I - 2002 - Movie - No
    CC - Turn A Gundam II - 2002 - Movie - No
    CE - Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - 2002 - TV, 50 episodes - Yes
    CE - Gundam SEED Special Edition - 2004 - TV, 3 episodes - Yes
    UC - MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War - 2004 - OVA, 3 episodes - No
    CE - Gundam SEED DESTINY - 2004 - TV, 50 episodes - Yes
    UC - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam I - 2005 - Movie - Coming Soon
    UC - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam II - 2005 - Movie - Coming Soon
    CE - SEED DESTINY FINAL PLUS - 2005 - TV, 1 episodes - No
    UC - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam III - 2006 - Movie - Coming Soon
    UC - MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 - 2006 - OVA, 3 episodes -No
    CE - SEED DESTINY Special Edition - 2006 - TV, 4 episodes - No
    CE - Gundam SEED C.E. 73 STARGAZER - 2006 - ONA, 3 episodes - No
    CE - Untitled Gundam SEED movie - 200? - Movie - In Production
Bliss
Gundam SEED: Astray is a manga series set in the SEED universe that began printing back in 2002. There are currently six minor series/sidestories under that name. HERE
Green divers takes place at the end of Zeta Gundam.
Anime News Network wrote:Plot Summary: During the closing days of the Gryps conflict of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, two siblings — Asagi and Takuya — ride aboard a civilian transport bound for Earth. Caught in a battle between the Titans and AEUG, they must somehow guide their ship through atmospheric entry. Luckily, they're not completely alone, as they find aid from a custom-painted Zeta Gundam, whose pilot sounds a lot like One Year War ace Amuro Ray.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 am

Bliss wrote:Fit into all this.... I can assume SEED Astray fits somewhere in to the SEED universe, but post Destiny, Pre-Destiny, not really related... or other?

SEED Astray runs concurrent with SEED. It's not nessecary to read the manga to understand the anime but certain events in the anime do impact the plot of the manga rather directly.
Similary SEED Destiny Astray runs concurrently with SEED Destiny, though I'm not sure how dependent it is on the anime.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Siden » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Bliss wrote:Hmmm when you're talking about Z Gundam "as being considered the 'best' by some fans" do you mean the 2005-2006 trilogy, or the original 1985-1986 series?

The original series. The movies, while good, try to condence too much at once. Even if they had made it four movies instead of three, it would have turned out much better. That, and the constant switching between high-quality modern animation and the original 1985 animation annoys some people.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:35 am

I remember catching an episode of SD Gundam once. The presentation was a cell-shaded CG style iirc. I think it used the super deformed gundams as their own characters (ie. no pilots). Im assuming its AU and a stand alone series aimed at the younger market. I didnt see enough of it to be able to rate it versus one of the others though.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 pm

*winces and shakes at the mention of SD Gundam*
SD Gundam is best not used in comparision, SD Gundam is very kid friendly. it is also recent.
and yes there are no pilots. more of a sentai series really.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Siden » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:52 pm

Crystal is speaking of the horrific SD Gundam Force. Pure crap.
Now Super Deformed Gundam (1988-1990), that is hilarious comedic gold. The first episode makes fun of the original series. The others are just as funny if not more so. Watch as Char and Judau serve as commentators for the Gundam Olympics; see Amuro, Judau and Camille serve as the herous in a parody of classic RPGs. And much more.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga