Questions about Urusei Yatsura

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Questions about Urusei Yatsura

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:16 pm

I've heard of this series and I know a little abotu it, but there are some things I've been wondering. As I'm unlikely to ever find a copy of the manga or the anime, I thought I'd ask here.

First of all, can anyone tell me anything about Kuruma, the Tengu princess? Specifically, does she have any of the "paranormal powers" the other aliens have? (Oni flight, Lum's electricity, Ten's fire breath, Oyuki's cryokinesis, etc...)

Secondly, how does Ryuunosuke's father compare to Genma Saotome, from Ranma 1/2? Which is the worse single parent?

Thirdly, how would Ryuunosuke compare in terms of her fighting abilities to a Ranma 1/2 cast member martial artist?

Finally, I've heard something about Ryuunosuke having a fiance, a boy who was raised as a girl; can anyone tell me anything about him?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Specifically, does she have any of the "paranormal powers" the other aliens have?

IMO none. Don't remeber any power from her.

Secondly, how does Ryuunosuke's father compare to Genma Saotome, from Ranma 1/2? Which is the worse single parent?

Depend on what Genma we talking about. Canon or Fanon? If canon one then they more or less equal.
Thirdly, how would Ryuunosuke compare in terms of her fighting abilities to a Ranma 1/2 cast member martial artist?

She more human in her skills. IMO roughly Akane level, maybe slightly better.

Finally, I've heard something about Ryuunosuke having a fiance, a boy who was raised as a girl; can anyone tell me anything about him?

Don't remeber any things about him. With exeption of small fact. He used to be a ghost.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 pm

I've just watched the first three episodes of Uretsta series the other day, but I haven't seen or even heard of that charachter yet.

My only say otherwise on the show is that both Lum and Aratu's other fiancee seem to get along alot better than Shampoo and Akane do, and from what I heard they are less abusive.

I haven't seen much fighting yet (the closest thing being Aratu getting the horns off of Lum's head or her little brother breathing fire at Aratu), but it seemed that the charachters are more powerful than humans, so I think that they may be overall better at fighting than the Ranma cast just because of that.

And now I apologise for being absolutely no help.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Questions about Urusei Yatsura

Postby Tovath » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:07 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:
First of all, can anyone tell me anything about Kuruma, the Tengu princess? Specifically, does she have any of the "paranormal powers" the other aliens have? (Oni flight, Lum's electricity, Ten's fire breath, Oyuki's cryokinesis, etc...)

I think I remember her calling up wind once.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 am

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/1055/UruCast.html

Kuruma appears in the 6th or 7th ep IIRC. To my knowledge no extra powers are present, other then the alien technology, and the crows as minions.

As to Ryuunosuke's father and Genma... Genma is the worse parent. Ryuunosuke's father atleast sticks to the fighting whereas Genma threw a whole heap of excess training into the mix that further scarred Ranma.

As to the comparison of Ryuunosuke to Ranma... Pure brawler. Akane would have more style to the fighting since Ryuunosuke never was trained. Due to the training Akane would probably be able to take her on. Compared to the rest of the fighters in the cast there is no comparison. They'd likely waltz over Ryuunosuke _and_ his father, and then still wonder: what was that all about.

The fiancee??? Hmm... Don't recall that tidbit of knowledge... :(
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I've heard of this series and I know a little abotu it, but there are some things I've been wondering. As I'm unlikely to ever find a copy of the manga or the anime, I thought I'd ask here.

Yes. She can generate tremendous winds with the use of a fan; it's somewhat like the abilities of Temari of the Sand in Naruto.

Well, he isn't as lazy. He and Ryuunosuke live in the high school, and run the school store. He also does not use training methods that are particularly sadistic. However, he absolutely refuses to allow Ryuunosuke anything that is in the slightest bit feminine. She can't even wear a bra; she has to wrap her chest with cloth strips to minimize her bustline. She also has a boy's name. She and her father constantly fight, and I'm talking fists. Her father has the ability to call up huge waves of seawater out of nowhere.

She's a brawler, but she would be able to make a good showing against just about any of the girls of Ranma 1/2. Ryuunosuke grew up being beaten by her father, and is very tough.

His name is Nagisa, which is a girl's name.

This web page has a comparison of Ryuunosuke to Ranma and Ukyou.

There's a writeup of Nagisa here:
http://www.furinkan.com/uy/characters/others.htm
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Neko- » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 am

Obviously lwf recalls way more of the series then I do... I just enjoyed watching the whole show :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 am

As a side note, there actually is a logical explanation for the unusual powers certain human characters display in the series, such as Shinobu's superhuman strength or the waves of water Ryuunosuke's father can call upon.

It was explained in one of the movies that when the aliens came to live on the Earth, they found our air to be lacking in flavor, for lack of a better term, and began generating a gas that it doesn't normally occur on Earth. It has no effect on most people, but for a certain few, it gave them their bizarre powers.

When the aliens leave Earth after Lum disappears in the movie, the gas is no longer generated and all of the humans lose their powers. When Lum and the other aliens return, they modify the air again and the human characters get their powers back.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Lioconvoy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:50 am

Probably a little late to add anything to this topic, but Ten isn't Lum's brother. He's her cousin.

Now I return to my self exile till I get the next chapter of Out There done.
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Just thought I'd ask this here, as it's not really worth creating a whole new topic for: is there an English dubbed version of the anime?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Not really. Some of the movies are dubbed. AnimEigo released some episodes dubbed but aborted it. Also two episodes were dubbed in the UK.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Fansubs are usually better anyway when you can find the good ones.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby 3geekeD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 am

One of my favorite shows were behind Ranma itself. I spent about two months watching the series back to back but did not read the manga. This one of the only series I read the entire subs for quite difficult for dyslexic. If you like Ranma this series is definitely a good one.
3geekeD
Initiate

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:29 am

Viz media is translating the manga into English I think. I have the French version of the complete manga series.

I'm not really a fan of Urusei Yatsura, but answering an earlier post about abusive fiancées... well the girls are even worse than in Ranma 1/2, but while Ranma doesn't deserve the beatings Ataru does. He's a worse pervert than Happosai and incredibly resilient. I think his toughness approaches or even exceeds Keitaro's (from Love Hina).
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 am

Depends on which version of Keitaro you're speaking of. The Love Hina anime is very different from the manga, and I tend to think of it as non-canonical.

In the manga, the girls were less volatile and did less damage, and Keitaro got hurt when things went bad, although he still survives situations that would be fatal to other characters in the series. One example is when he goes to Tokyo University with Naru, and she ends up breaking his arm.

In the anime by Xebec, the violence was exaggerated, sometimes to nearly sickening levels, to make it more slapstick. It prompted "Anime Music Video" maker Kurt Perry to take scenes of Keitaro being abused to set to the music of Suzanne Vega's "Luka". (Here's the AVM.) In the anime, the excessive violence never caused him lasting harm, but he often was attacked with little or no provocation.

In UruseiYatsura, the levels of cartoon violence were campy and slapstick in both anime and manga, and were always played similar to "Tom and Jerry" or "Roadrunner" in that lasting harm was never done even when "real" weapons were used. There was never any doubt that any knocks Ataru got were because he either did something to deserve it, or in the rare cases where his intentions were pure, because the girl in question knew him and pretty much had to assume the worst.
lwf58
Site Master

Return to Anime / Manga