Digimon Savers: Good? Bad?

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Postby stratagemini » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 am

Yeah, I had the original Key chain games, I actually just got Digimon World for the DS. It mentions DATS. but since it also mentions File island and "Azulongmon" I thought it was based in the season 01-02 universe.
And the digimon Cardgame actually exists Atlan, the cards look as advertised in Tamers, though they came out during 02 if I recall correctly.
Also if we're talking about Digimon games that were awesome. The wonderswan and WS Color had a couple of great games that predated Digimon world by a rather lot. I happen to have Anode and Cathode tamers for the WSC there's the basics of Digimon World right there.
As for the games, they've always been really really well integrated with the series. Ryo from season 03 is the star of the Wonder Swan games (which were pre-Tamers), and most of his backstory is actually pretty reliant on those games. There was a Manga (V-Tamers I think it was) that was parallel to all the series again. and even through the various incarnations of the Series and games there have been clues and links that all the series are if not in the same universe, than in different "Quadrants" of the same digital world.
There's a definite Lovecraft influence in a lot of the series too. That Dark Ocean thing heavily hints at lovecraft's dream world stuff, and had "Dagomon" (from Dagon though looking a lot like Cthulhu) and "Divermon" (which look a lot like descriptions of the deep ones).
It's really one of the most well thought out series I've seen. with a whole hell of a lot of culture references that even now I'm just beginning to get all of.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby crystlshake » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 am

Atlan wrote:Why couldnt they make a game of tamers? It would be perfect!
You pick your digimon at the begining. You battle, absorbing data from enimes, that gives you an XP system. You could even have it so that, under some cercimstances, you get fighting moves from the monster as well.
Then you have the card game, as an in game minigame, which lets you earn cards to use in battle to strengthen your monster.
It would work as a pokemon style game, a FF8 style game, or hell even as a Jade Empire/KOTOR style game!

I could see that card minigame thing working well as some kind of buffing/debuffing system or some such. If it kept a lot of the randomness common to card type games (even those that allow deck construction) it would work best as minor buffs or changes to type of attack damage or damage mitigation. If it was made as strong as most buff type things are in card games it would be frustrating due to the random element and relative necesity of getting good draws, especially in an mmo type environment.
I liked the game system for Digimon world 3, if the 3d character representations didnt look like first gen 3d models (one of the serpent like digimon especially comes to mind with the HUGE breaks between segments) on top of being horibly outshined by the training systems much more appealing character sprites I may have been inclined to finish it.
The forth games gauntlet-ish game style was ok, but the weapon system didnt really mesh well with the themes of the liscence. There werent nearly as many characters to choose from or have in your party either, i dont think.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Anime / Manga