Hyper Police

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Hyper Police

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 am

I just finished reading all of the Hyper Police manga they have scanslated at MangaFox. :mrgreen: I loved it!

Natsuki is so cute, and while a lot of stuff in it is a bit over the top, some of the themes behind the setting have a lot of potential for other stories, or perhaps use as an RPG setting. I think I'm going to have to try and get to watch the anime. I can see why this series is considered by some to be a classic. I'm guessing some of the blatant sex-humor and gruesome monsters trying to eat people type of stuff limits the series from a wider audience though... Still it has everything you'd consider to be anime cliche... from before it really became such, showing a predictive sort of genera savvy that means the series is actually probably funnier now than it was when it came out, and in a good way, as it seems like it is making fun of anime in general, when really, a lot of other stuff was inspired by it but took some stuff from it too seriously, or generally overdid it and didn't do so as well.

The storyline and setting are surprisingly coherent for how silly it is and having gods and demons running around, at least in the manga format, and the various characters are memorable and engaging, without loosing too much from having an overly huge cast, and the setting is well developed and interesting.

Has anybody else read this or seen the anime? What did you think?
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Hyper Police

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Have the anime... never read the manga. Pretty good, but the backstory is only partially covered in the story... a lot is left to interpretation and observation.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Hyper Police

Postby Makoto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Watched a handful of the episodes (in Japanese... I think I couldn't get used to one of the voices in the English dub when I watched it at some point after that, probably Natsuki's voice.) I can't remember how much of the manga I've read.

I did think about the possibilities of a Ranma/Hyper Police crossover or fusion, once, long enough to draw a picture or two of female Ranma wearing the same uniform and with cat ears. ^_^;
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga