the best/worst at being bad

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

the best/worst at being bad

Postby toushin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:17 pm

this topic just canme to mind after reading the latest post on the naruto spoiler. who do you think is the best and worst villan of all time.

for me the best is agent smith, everything he does is so smoth even when he completely looses it the way he talks makes him seem in control. my worst choice is sasuke, i think of him as a spoiled brat who has had everything given to him. plus the fact that the only reason he's fighting is brcause konoha had the audacity not to let the uchiha slaughter thousands of people.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: the best/worst at being bad

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 pm

toushin wrote:this topic just canme to mind after reading the latest post on the naruto spoiler. who do you think is the best and worst villan of all time.

for me the best is agent smith, everything he does is so smoth even when he completely looses it the way he talks makes him seem in control. my worst choice is sasuke, i think of him as a spoiled brat who has had everything given to him. plus the fact that the only reason he's fighting is brcause konoha had the audacity not to let the uchiha slaughter thousands of people.

Nominations for best villan (quality wise, not morality wise)... Kagato (Tenchi OAV), Gaav (Slayers), Azalyn (Irresponsible Captain Tylor), and Gauron (FMP), Ashram (Lodoss Wars).

Nominations for worst villan... Jiinai (El Hazard), that guy in charge of Amalgam in Full Metal Panic TSR. Earth (COTS, Starship Operators, and Vandread)

EDIT: Nominations for worst hero: Sailor Moon (anime version) (on competency), Shinji Iakri (on effectiveness, not personality). TSAB (morality, not actions)
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Best Villain -- Raul Julia's M. Bison.

This exchange perfectly shows why he's my favorite villain:

Chun-Li: It was twenty years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to general yet. You were just a petty drug lord. You and your gang of murderers gathered your small ounce of courage to raid across the border for food, weapons, slave labor...my father was the village magistrate. A simple man with a simple code: justice. He gathered the few people that he could to stand against you. You and your bullies were driven back by farmers with pitchforks! My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.

M. Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it.

Chun-Li: You don't remember?!

M. Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 am

Well I'm assuming we are allowed to pick from every and any source not just anime so...

Best villain: T-1000 from Terminator 2 had such perfect quiet menace. Millenia from Grandia 2 (my avatar by the way) such a fun villain until she has a change of heart. Darth Vader from the first two Star Wars movies is such a perfect villain in so many ways until the new movies made him pathetic honestly give James Earl Jones a voice over and he could make a Carebear the most evil sounding thing in existence. Nazis. What? Find a movie Nazis are in great villains. Jason Vorhees as played by Kane Hodder such perfect silent tear you apart menace. The Great White Shark from the original Jaws movie. Anime wise going with Hild from AMG because she could just wipe them all from existence or be more out and out evil quite often but choses not to just to have fun with them.

Worst villain: Ghaleon from Lunar. With such a great game it could have used a stronger villain and he just wasn't up to the task. Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Unless you read the supplementary books I just don't think he's given enough evilness for me just a big silent menace that you're supposed to be afraid of because of his luitentants and history which we aren't given. Pretty much every Final Fantasy baddy. Either they are a pissed off God/computer or a pretty boy with daddy/mommy issues. So pathetic and so much a retread. Onyxia from World of Warcraft classic. The bitch was just annoying. Getting people killed when sitting around waiting for pvp queues, no cool voice overs, and then she becomes a 'oh let's go do her really fast we finished early kill'. At least she gave up some cool bags.

Best hero: Anime wise there is no contest for me it has to be Lina Inverse. That is who I would act like if I was a kick ass sorcerer. Such a perfect combination of attitude and savvy. Eve Levine from Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. None of you probably know a damn thing about her but she's up there for me. Bast the Wood Elf from John Ringo's Council Wars series. Again none of you probably know a damn thing about her but she was awesome. Nall and Ruby from the Lunar series. Two talking cats (well dragons) done right. Talia (Sleeping Beauty) from Jim C. Hines Princess series is quite awesome. And as a throwback to my adolescence Tommy the Green/White Ranger from the classic Power Rangers series.

Worst hero: Any and all heroes who start off whiny or totally inexperienced and not suited to being a hero and for the most part never grow out of this attitude. That encompasses a lot of ground but you know the type I mean. Pretty much every Final Fantasy hero after 6. Just don't like the pretty boy villains or heroes and most fit in with my first qualifier in this category.

mondu_the_fat wrote:Best Villain -- Raul Julia's M. Bison.

Ah yes the one bright spot in an otherwise awful awful movie. They made my favorite fighter Chun-Li so very pathetic...sniff.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm

EDIT: Nominations for worst hero: ... TSAB (morality, not actions)

...I'm sorry, WHAT THE FRACKING HELL?! How in god's name does the TSAB qualify as immoral in any sense of the word (ancient and well-intentioned conspiracies in the upper ranks notwithstanding)?
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:26 pm

this topic just canme to mind after reading the latest post on the naruto spoiler. who do you think is the best and worst villan of all time.

For the best: got to give my props to ol' pint-size (Hellmaster Fibrizo, Slayers Next) and the Emperor (Return of the Jedi. "Oh, I'm afraid that the shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive..." I've always loved that line).

For the worst, I'd have to say Jessie, James, and Meowth (Pokemon). They're so bad at being bad that they're actually pretty good at being good when they put their minds to it.

...I'm sorry, WHAT THE FRACKING HELL?! How in god's name does the TSAB qualify as immoral in any sense of the word (ancient and well-intentioned conspiracies in the upper ranks notwithstanding)?

Let the games begin. :twisted:
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Comartemis wrote:...I'm sorry, WHAT THE FRACKING HELL?! How in god's name does the TSAB qualify as immoral in any sense of the word (ancient and well-intentioned conspiracies in the upper ranks notwithstanding)?

Ehhh... Easily... I took notes as I watched all three seasons. And after evaluating a bunch of their decisions and actions... I've come to the conclusion they could care less about anything unless it is in relation to themselves... They are lenient toward their own upper management even when it is known they are doing/have done wrongs and are prejudiced toward non-Midchildans. They only get involved in outside events if it affects them. They are willing to throw non-members to the wolves and do enforced conscription, and do not care about their own grunts and field agents by enforcing a system of limiters. They seem to believe they have jurisdiction no matter where they are, even if they likely do not. They made not one decision I liked in any of the three seasons, and at points actually saw why the bad guys were forced to rebel and sympathized.

Note I do not count Fate, Nanoha, or Hayate and her group in this judgement... None of them grew up under their moral system as two are from Earth and one sheltered and manipulated by a wack job. I count only the TSAB itself. Heck... Hayate nearly had to start a conspiracy just to get a new more effective unit started for the benefit of all.

The above is merely my take on canon events. Do not start a threadjack here on it.

Other nominations for evil and corrupt groups... Seele (NGE), and the British Library (ROD).
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:45 pm

The above is merely my take on canon events. Do not start a threadjack here on it.

Alright then.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Per discussion in the other thread... it would seem the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha anime has a darker take on TSAB actions that the manga seems to be spinning into a better light. As such, I consider them different continuities.

My recommendation above for the TSAB applies only to strict anime continuity. Not the apparently nicer spun manga continuity.

My apologies, and no offense intended to manga continuity followers.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Best villains:

Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion): I enjoyed his charachter simply because it is such a gray case. He is the one that from the outside seems to be the evil mastermind who is destroying everyone's lives for his own purposes, but when you look at him deeper you begin to truly see that he's every bit as broken, pitiful and confused as the rest of the cast and if anything is just as much of a victim under SEELE as his co-workers are.

Happosai (Ranma 1/2) If you can even truly consider him a villain, he's another that people can truly hate but laugh out loud at their pitifulness/wackiness. Besides, there's too many other people in the series that you can sort of argue "he/she's the worst character".

World Government (One Piece): Despicable and corrupt as they may be, you can't really argue that they are completely evil and no good for the citizens, what with the fact that the Marines are commonly the only thing keeping them safe when the world is filled with pirates (majority of them not being decent ones like the Strawhats or Whitebeard) who would gladly rape and pillage a village.

Worst villain: Ghaleon from Lunar. With such a great game it could have used a stronger villain and he just wasn't up to the task. Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Unless you read the supplementary books I just don't think he's given enough evilness for me just a big silent menace that you're supposed to be afraid of because of his luitentants and history which we aren't given. Pretty much every Final Fantasy baddy. Either they are a pissed off God/computer or a pretty boy with daddy/mommy issues. So pathetic and so much a retread. Onyxia from World of Warcraft classic. The bitch was just annoying. Getting people killed when sitting around waiting for pvp queues, no cool voice overs, and then she becomes a 'oh let's go do her really fast we finished early kill'. At least she gave up some cool bags.

I always remember him being one of my favorite villains of all time, but to be fair this was in middle/high school almost a decade ago when I was getting used to the idea of games and shows actually having plots. :)

Worst villians:

Aizen (Bleach) and Orochimaru (Naruto/Naruto Shipuuden): Largely stereotypical evil who you love to hate and provide interesting and at times morbid, but typical "bad guy" moments and just don't seem to add anything particularly interesting to the plot. That being said, I at least give Aizen credit for his calm and friendly nature and the fact that he shocked the hell out of the audience when his true identity is revealed.

Incognito(Hellsing) - Just seemed like he was brought up in the last minute as a useless "big bad"

Favorite Heroes: Shinji(Neon Genises Evangelion) Yeah, he's kind of a wuss, but to be fair that's what practically gives you the "This is what I would be like in his position" feel.

Key/Tokiko Mima(Key the Metal Idol): Another neutral type, she gives us the glimpse of what it is like to be, well, a little in your own world. Also, in a story which is meant to show the mind of a robot, you would usually think of some sort of heartless killer or a cold logic calculator. Rather than being anything so dangerous, Key is actually in reality a dangerously naive child who is more likely to put herself in harm's way and enabled unscrupulous individuals to take advantage of her (like Tamari and Priest Snakeeyes) if not watched over than being such a thing, and is actually almost too kind for her own good.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Worst villain? I'd nominate Kagato, from Tenchi (especially Tenchi Universe).

Suckiest villain? Saonji, from Utena.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby bissek » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:17 am

This looks like a retread of my 'Villains of Competence' thread.

As for incognito, he WAS brought in at the last minute to serve as a Big Bad. Gonzo outpaced the Hellsing manga right after the Valentine brothers attacked the Hellsing mansion, so they had to make up the rest of the story on the spot.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:13 am

best Villain

Anime wise

Legato Bluesummers from Trigun

not the big bad but the main cause of most of Vash's nightmare through the last half of the series

Worst one....

hard to remember a extremely bad one...

but really the worst villain is one that gets instantly forgotten

as for incognito... how exactly do you write a big bad for a series where the big bad IS the main character... (heck in the manga Alucard eats MOST of London)

as a non anime example... Dr Doom from the ff4 movies... (plot to both ff4 movies... lots of good movie, then they beat the crap out of Doom. second was bad for galactus bait and switch)
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:18 pm

cool bad guys.....the kurgan from highlander and the hockey mask wearing dude from the road warrior...both very cool.....

coolest bad guy from anime......the bad guys of full metal panic, junie from el-hazard cause he is just so much of a idiot...., jadiot from sailor moon....getting your ass kicked by 3 teen age girls just screams bad.....
or any villion from a miazike movie cause they are all very cool....
worst bad guys..... anthy from utana the movie and her brother......athny the drug crazed insestios slut......

worst hero....singi must die....he is just an ahole and too much of a wimp to say the least.....i really hate him.....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 pm

ckosacranoid wrote:worst bad guys..... anthy from utana the movie and her brother......athny the drug crazed insestios slut......

I don't think it's fair to indict Anthy and Akio - they were as much prisoners of Ohtori as anything. Only Saonji counted as a villain; the rest were assholes at worst, and Nanami was pitiable. Mind you, this statement is unreliable, as I've seen two anime continuities, two manga continuities, and never got to read the magazine continuity to see where it fit in.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Next

Return to Anime / Manga