Comparison. Ranma - Senshi

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Comparison. Ranma - Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:46 am

I would have made a survey but I don't know all the names. And I figure just asking could help avoid bias. So I'm wondering out of all the Senshi in Cartoon and Manga which one has the closest appearance match to Ranma-chan in your opinion. Here are a couple images for the comparison. I keep tripping up on art style.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Comparison. Ranma - Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 pm

For technical and realistic reasons, the Tsukino family would make the most sense. For one, the art styles are different, so you can't make a proper comparison for certain things, like the jaw and the nose (and, to an extent, the eyes). So you have to rely more on eye and hair color; and the Tsukino family expresses traits for both. And I believe that, by looking at their height now, and Usagi's and Nodoka's later, they share the same margin of height.

Just give Ranma a June 30th birthdate and you're good to go. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Ranma doesn't have to be the same astrological sign. Only the Senshi really have that alignment. Relatives can be, and usually are, different.

Aside from Chibi-Usa, Chibi-Chibi and whomever that redhead is in the back row on the pic I linked (Can't remember the name) I don't really see much of a red hair potential.

As for eyes well Neptune, Venus, Mercury and Moon all have compatible eyes.

I don't think anyone in Sailor Moon outside of an occasional baddie ever ends up as strongly built with having an ample chest like Ranma-chan has.

Chibi-Usa's hair could have been influenced from Mamoru And considering that Royal titles tend to go in families is there any support for Beryl having been a distant cousin? And I mean cannon not fannon for the support question. Just something to think about.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:22 am

Spokavriel wrote: Ranma doesn't have to be the same astrological sign. Only the Senshi really have that alignment. Relatives can be, and usually are, different.

No, it doesn't have to be the same. I just felt like adding it since we're drawing parallels, and it's probably no coincidence that Usagi and her daughter share the same birth date.

Aside from Chibi-Usa, Chibi-Chibi and whomever that redhead is in the back row on the pic I linked (Can't remember the name) I don't really see much of a red hair potential.

Princess Kakyuu's the one in the back; she's from another star system.

As for eyes well Neptune, Venus, Mercury and Moon all have compatible eyes.

Mamoru, too. Well, if I remember correctly.

I don't think anyone in Sailor Moon outside of an occasional baddie ever ends up as strongly built with having an ample chest like Ranma-chan has.

Strongly built? As in musculature? I don't think she looks any stronger than Makoto. Unless you meant more along the curves of her three sizes. ;p In that regard... *Shrugs* Since the Tsukino's still show more potential evidence for having things in common, I'd say it's a possibility for those measurements to be in their gene pool. (Plus, if we go back to their zodiac sign, Cancer, it's said that it rules over the breasts. Let's work it! :lol: )

Chibi-Usa's hair could have been influenced from Mamoru And considering that Royal titles tend to go in families is there any support for Beryl having been a distant cousin? And I mean cannon not fannon for the support question. Just something to think about.

As far as I know, Mamoru and Beryl aren't related. And there's no solid evidence that she belonged to any royal family before becoming the de facto queen of the "dark kingdom", or whatever you want to call it. What can definitely be said was that she either lived in, or had access to, Elysium, where Mamoru's kingdom resided; and that she loved him, which is why she resented his relationship with Usagi and, with the help of Queen Metallia, rallied the people of Earth against the moon.

Beyond that, we have no other idea what genes could get passed down from Mamoru's side of things, aside from Mamoru himself. However, that's assuming that the pink spore's hair color is a result of a gene that would produce red hair if it were dominant. It's more likely that she's still a blond or, more specifically, a strawberry blond. If I remember correctly (don't hold your breath. ;p), that means she picked up a degree of the genes from her father's dark-pigmented hair.

But there is something to be said about Usagi's choice in hair color when she assumes the form of Chibi-Chibi (assuming that the anime didn't come up with some other brilliant idea for who she was). Either way, if we're talking about straight-up appearance, and not familial ties or lineage, then I'd simply pick Chibi-Chibi. Makes thing so much easier. XD
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:21 am

Usagi and Chibi-Usa are both Senshi. And the Senshi have their alignments.

Strange that no one else is adding any input.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Maybe it's just that time of the month. I know it's mine. ;p (And by that, I mean I'm a Cancer.)

Also, they share more than their alignment: they share the exact same day, too. It wouldn't have hurt either one of them to be born on the day that I was, but noooooooo...~ :roll:
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:38 pm

I know it would be more of a Spamville question. But you aren't claiming to be a potential Sailor Moon are you?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 am

Ok I'm kinda digging this up again. I've been looking at some other information. It kinda fits since it is comparing some Senshi info still.

Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces

I ended up thinking about the Birthdays again. Aries, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces are taken by Senshi.

That kinda leaves Taurus and Gemini

Thing is Gemini is tied to Mercury... While Taurus is tied to Venus. Gemini is an Air Sign while Taurus is Earth.

Odd thing though is if you look at wiki articles for Gemini and Taurus the planetary interactions for Taurus almost read like Ranma's already messing with the Senshi. Having Mars and Pluto as Detriments. While Exalting the Moon and dwelling on Venus...

But if you look at the Mythology pages for the planets deities I listed in the parents thread it says Venus is the consort of Vulcan. So maybe making Ranma a Taurus it could make it work out for a Senshi of a planet taking place of the Asteroid belt getting dubbed Vulcan?

The stick Akane as Gemini, The whole Mercurial Bipolar thing going on...
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:22 am

Spokavriel wrote:But if you look at the Mythology pages for the planets deities I listed in the parents thread it says Venus is the consort of Vulcan. So maybe making Ranma a Taurus it could make it work out for a Senshi of a planet taking place of the Asteroid belt getting dubbed Vulcan?

The name "Vulcan" is pretty much reserved for a planet whose orbit is inside of Mercury's. It'd take a brave astronomer to hang that name on an asteroid.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:17 am

How about using it for another Sailor Sun. It fell in already ;)
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 am

Spokavriel wrote:Odd thing though is if you look at wiki articles for Gemini and Taurus the planetary interactions for Taurus almost read like Ranma's already messing with the Senshi. Having Mars and Pluto as Detriments. While Exalting the Moon and dwelling on Venus...

Just wanted to point out that that's a reflection of fanon, not canon; obviously because Ranma was never in the Sailor Moon canon, and thus people had to decide how they'd interact. I can probably see why there might be some contention between himself and Mars, but it's safe to say that most with Pluto is imagined since it's usually when her character is warped beyond what it really is (i.e. Ranma being a headache because of his supposed chaotic nature, et cetera). It'd probably all depend on what kind of situations the author put Ranma in, in regard to the various senshi.

Plus, it's not like he can't share the same sign with another senshi. Usagi and her daughter have different personalities, yet they're the same sign. And a big part of one's zodiac sign refers to one's potential nature as an individual, which, in general, share enough differences due mostly to chance, circumstance and a lot less certainty. (Unless you consult a horoscope. That's different.)

But I've kind of forgotten if there was a purpose beyond comparing Ranma to the senshi, to see who he looked the most like. If it's about making Ranma a senshi, which the post before last suggests, you could probably make him any one of the senshi for any number of reasons. For irony you could make him Mercury or Neptune, senshi of water (generally), for example. Since his art specializes in airborne attacks, Uranus. Or, to better suit his personality, Jupiter; just like you could peg Akane as a Mars because of her fiery temperament.

(Man, I really need to get to bed. XD;; Sorry if my post misses its mark.)
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 am

I brought up the unused astrological signs and other relations between the planets deities because most of what really is here. And even different manipulations of the Asteroid belt. (Even making the belt into planet Nemesis) have been done. But in doing those things most of the time no one bothers to try to do the whole planet and birthdate alignment aspect. Heck in many cases adjusting his personality to go with the astrological sign the planet rules over would leave him rather OOC. Not to mention other overlaps might have been useful.

The whole Akane Gemini thing was a joke.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Because most of what really is here? The wording leaves me lost.

And Nemesis was already accounted for in the series, and it wasn't the asteroid belt. It only makes sense to stick with canon, not whatever theories and fanciful ideas that have been posed in fanon.

But if you wanted to try, then take a realistic approach. For instance, what constellations the sun travels through, and for how long, has changed over time. So you could add Ophiuchus, the serpent bearer, into the equation. No one else has it, nor is it officially associated with any celestial object or deity. Some clay to work your imagination on.

Really, though, you could probably assign most of the signs to Ranma without too much contradiction in regard to his personality. There's three dimensions to them, so they're rather flexible. Though the most evident would probably be the sign that's most likely prone to be being proud and/or arrogant. And you could consider someone who's shy and/or reluctant to commit to relationships. Perhaps there's a sign where both are notable.

I'd still stick him with Cancer, though. Aside from having more in common (appearance-wise) with Usagi (I'm assuming), it's evident that he hides within his shell often enough and doesn't express what he really feels. He's actually sensitive inside, as opposed to his tough exterior. And he's a lot more caring than you'd expect someone to be (when he has the chance), being raised by Genma and all. Beyond that, there's an interesting thing that I thought about. Usagi's mother (from the past) had silver hair. That's the standard color of the moon, most times. Usagi's hair is yellow, which is a shade the moon takes on occasion. And then, the least common (I believe) is the red moon, which we can draw a connection to Ranma with. Fun! :D

I know the part about Akane was a joke. Because she is a joke. Oh, snap!

I kid, I kid. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 pm

This is outside of the Sailor Moon board to discuss fannon as much as trying to work out something for a fic which couldn't really count as cannon no matter how hard it wanted.

The Dark Moon family were sentenced/banished to Nemesis but I'd have to see where it's described to see if it is from the Oort Cloud or the Asteroid Belt. Either way it's in a shape that could easily be a remnant of a larger world.

You keep saying Ranma would be closest related to Sailor Moon. So why would he father Chibi-Usa?

Akane Tendo Senshi of Toxic Waste? No wait it's just her cooking....

So aside from missing all points I was looking at at least you're still having fun with the Akane joke.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Spokavriel wrote: This is outside of the Sailor Moon board to discuss fannon as much as trying to work out something for a fic which couldn't really count as cannon no matter how hard it wanted.

Fics are all based on canon, to some extent or another: by the very fact that it's called fan-fiction and fanon. Can't be a fan-anything if it's not based on something pre-existing. I figured that Fic Research was intended for the use of researching canon (anime or manga), for the production of fan-fiction, not whatever people made up in fiction that has already been produced. So I figure I'm approaching this from the right direction.

The Dark Moon family were sentenced/banished to Nemesis but I'd have to see where it's described to see if it is from the Oort Cloud or the Asteroid Belt. Either way it's in a shape that could easily be a remnant of a larger world.

Either way, it was inevitably destroyed in the future. But I'd reckon that its very composition would make it an unlikely candidate for having any connection with the asteroid belt, since said asteroid belt doesn't display the same composition (being recognized as having negative energy).

Also, only one criminal was banished there (whatever his name was). The "Dark Moon family", a group of rebels, took it over as their base. And since its orbit is unpredictable, and stuff in the asteroid belt and the Oort cloud have definite orbits, one can assume that it can't be from either place.

I have no idea what its shape has to do with anything, since it appears to be spherical like the other planets. (It's called the tenth planet.)

You keep saying Ranma would be closest related to Sailor Moon. So why would he father Chibi-Usa?

You're assuming that he'd have to in order to be related. You asked for a "closest appearance match", which inevitably veers toward some kind of genetic relation. By a generation? Two? More? It's not uncommon for distant relatives to share some of the same basic traits. Or, as in other cases, express traits that rarely appear, but are otherwise known to. (For instance, my beard's a fiery orange, which, between my mother's and father's side, up until their parents, makes me only one of two people that have such a trait. My mother and father each have several brothers, but only one of my mother's brothers also has a reddish beard.)

So aside from missing all points I was looking at at least you're still having fun with the Akane joke.

I had fun with it? I had no idea.

And, frankly, what was I supposed to get? First, the topic was made to draw comparisons based on appearances. I did that, and I'm still took that into consideration in my last post. If that's no longer the point, you should have made a new topic. Now, you're trying to assign Ranma a sign that: one, hasn't already been taken; and two, fits his character best. And you proposed that the entire asteroid belt become connected to a senshi of Vulcan, or something, right? (Even though, canonically, there are already four senshi connected to the asteroid belt, to the single largest objects that can be found there.)

If there's any reason for why I might be missing anything, I don't really think it's my fault entirely. At the very least we're both at fault since communication is a two-way street: there's the sender who expresses, and the receiver who interprets. I'm just trying to help you out as best as I can, with what I have to work with on both ends. So, you know... I thought I knew what you wanted, but obviously not. It's not always easy to know what someone is asking of other people when they don't directly ask the question. For me, I figured Ellen already addressed why Vulcan and the asteroid belt might not be a viable idea, so I didn't touch it.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fic Research