Joining clubs in Japanese schools mandatory?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Joining clubs in Japanese schools mandatory?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am

R.O.D. came in yesterday and seeing that Anita had to join a club reminded me that I've seen that come up a few times in other series. So, I was wondering how prevalent it is in regard to students being required to join clubs, since I have two story ideas that focus on Ranma joining a club and I'd like to take this into consideration. Which includes the instance where it's mandatory, Ranma has refused to join one, and it inspires the principal to try something from that angle.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Joining clubs in Japanese schools mandatory?

Postby Lioconvoy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 pm

As I understand it's very prevelent often leading to a going home club, just so students can say they're in a club.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:23 pm

My understanding is that it's not technically mandatory. But practically speaking, given how vicious the competition for entry to high schools and colleges gets, people are looking at your club membership records and all that shit, and lacking extra qualifications or training distinctly reduces your stock.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm

There are also situations where a club might end up mandated as a requirement to a cram school. No club no permission for the rest of the study assistance. But I haven't seen proof of that one so much.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Just to add my five cents in, some of the dialogue suggests that mandatory club participation is
a) more common in Middle School/Junior High than at High School and
b) the policy varies from school to school.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fic Research