Temperature trigger determinant for hot water

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Temperature trigger determinant for hot water

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 am

Well, I'm pretty sure that the water doesn't have to be a hundred degrees Celsius to produce steam (vapor might be a more apt word to use in this case). I know hot water can produce it at much lower temperatures, such as seen in the furo. As far as my lack of knowledge tells me, it's probably not considered steam. However, I figure that it might be a good way to know if the water is hot enough to reverse someone's curse. To find out, I was wondering about the exact mechanics behind the production of steam/vapor that you can get out of a faucet. I'm assuming that the ambient temperature has a role to play, right? It's the reverse of condensation, for all I know, so I want to understand what's going on.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Temperature trigger determinant for hot water

Postby Drawde » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Steam is always steam.

Every water molecule will always go from a liquid state to a gaseous state when it has a certain amount of energy. But, each individual molecule has a different amount of energy. So some of the molecules evaperate before others, which is why you get steam even before the water is boiling. Some of the molecules gained enough energy to evaporate before the others did.

Even ice kept in a freezer will eventually evaporate. It just takes a LONG time.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm

The temperature of steam can be measured. It is still water. But at higher altitude where the air pressure is lower it will occur at lower temperatures. So the real question is how hot do you want the water to be to consider it hot? Its also why cooking times have to be adjusted for a colder boil when you live at a high altitude.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri May 27, 2011 1:43 pm

So, in regard to temperature, could I expect warm water to produce visible steam when introduced to a much colder environment? Kind of like how we can see our breath when it gets cold enough.

But what if the environment is hot? Say, in the nineties or hundreds Fahrenheit. Would the typical temperature of water used for coffee still produce steam?

And in the end: if air pressure remains the same (basically, the character stays in one place), would seeing steam from water be a reliable enough indicator that the water is hot enough to transform them? (Assuming that water that is hot enough to produce steam at a certain altitude just happens to be the temperature required for reversing the curse.)

Or: is this not a good idea (for whatever reason), and it'd be better to determine whether the water is hot enough based on the temperature of the person's body and their opinion of where warm ends and hot begins?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri May 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:So, in regard to temperature, could I expect warm water to produce visible steam when introduced to a much colder environment? Kind of like how we can see our breath when it gets cold enough.

In an nutshell.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:But what if the environment is hot? Say, in the nineties or hundreds Fahrenheit. Would the typical temperature of water used for coffee still produce steam?

It can. I live somewhere that gets those temperatures regularly in summer and you still get visible steam, just not as much.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:And in the end: if air pressure remains the same (basically, the character stays in one place), would seeing steam from water be a reliable enough indicator that the water is hot enough to transform them? (Assuming that water that is hot enough to produce steam at a certain altitude just happens to be the temperature required for reversing the curse.)

Not really. How much steam you see is a function of temperature and humidity so on a hot humid day a cup of water at temperature X may not produce any visible steam but steam like crazy on a cold, dry morning.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Or: is this not a good idea (for whatever reason), and it'd be better to determine whether the water is hot enough based on the temperature of the person's body and their opinion of where warm ends and hot begins?

I'd go strictly be core body temperature since in cold weather blood vessels at the extremities contract causing them to cool while keeping your core at the same temperature. As a result what feels hot under such a situation may drop a bit due to the temperature differential.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fic Research