Sailormoon (anime) Ranma (manga) ability comparison

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Postby Climhazard » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:41 pm

And even beyond that--there's still the issue of the force that the thrower could bring to bear. The idea that Akane could throw a barbell harder than a normal person does not exactly strain credulity.

That's the closest I could remember.

It not KO'ed Ryoga. It's ambush him and because of this Ryoga lost his umbrella.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby claymade » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:03 am

Zwzn wrote:And yet never seems to use said superhuman strength.

Well, sure. Hand to hand isn't her forte. She's better off slinging magic around in youma battles--why the heck should she go in and mix it up with fistcuffs?
It doesn't change the fact that, in that situation where she was forced to use superhuman strength, she was able to.
Don't the senshi go to the Moon at one point in season 1, and walk as if on the Earth?

Never saw the episode, so I can't say.
If they did, then the correlating question to that that you'd also want to ask is whether anyone in any of the Moon Kingdom flashbacks--particularly anyone not in a Senshi form--ever did move in Moon-realistic gravity. The answer to that would give an indication as to whether the gravity effect was in fact localized to the Senshi, or just part of a general life-support system. (Or just laziness on the part of the animators.)
The crystal seems to me at least to be a capasitor basicly in season 2 at least. It draws energy from the other senshi to power it's user(Usagi). The other senshi tend to recover quickly after being drained by it.

Even if it can function in that way, it very obviously has significant power of it's own--it's used against Beryl before the dead Senshi even start to pitch in, and having two crystals turns the tables against Wiseman, which would make no sense whatsoever if they were just channels.
So again: do we have any evidence that suggests she was drawing from the other Senshi in that particular scene?
A senshi over estamating her power is not unheard of, and Luna is known for having a swiss cheese memory for a reason. Mars could have been counting on the fuel for all we know. I didn't that jets aren't kept fueled until this thread. I personally don't trust summaries

Well, it obviously isn't conclusive one way or the other. Like I said, I personally doubt she was counting on hitting the fuel tank, since A) she never said anything to indicate she was and more importantly B) unless she's knows a lot more about passenger jets than I would imagine the average 14-year old to know, I doubt she'd know where to aim.
But granted, even in the best case it only suggests the capability, not definitively proves it.
That speeks rather poorly for thew senshi, and rather well for the NWC

How do you figure that? At the worst it's only neutral--and to me it gives the implication that the Senshi are at least roughly in Ranma's ballpark in terms of physical damage resistance. I can't see anything in the scene that implies a NWC advantage over the Senshi.
Ranma has taken hits from Tatewaki's wooden sword, and it cut stone last time I checked. Kuno was going for a kill to free the Pigtailed Girl in about the first or second manga.

Exactly. A weapon attack--like from Kuno's sword--can injure Ranma. So the question becomes: how do Crow's whip strikes compare to Kuno's sword strikes?
Well, we can't know for certain... but Kuno's sword doesn't really knock Ranma around very much at all, while the whip strikes seem to be powerful enough to send the Senshi flying bodily. Thus, if you're looking to do a crossover analysis, a rather reasonable thing to do would be to decide that Crow's strikes are in fact far more damaging than Kuno's--which gives you an instance of the Senshi weathering blows of Ranmaverse-or-greater power.
So the senshi take energy blast that can throw things through wall? I don't remember that ever happening, let alone without the senshi being at least out of the fight. The senshi can't take a flame trower(or was the flame buster a vortext cannon?) that could not melt stone, and Ranmma can stand up to Saffron's flame that can. The Ki blast(magical attacks if you ask me) throw people throught stone walls.

Actually, when Saffron melts the rock, it's with a blast he makes lower down in the tornado, which melts the rock down there, and then sends it spewing upward at Ranma. Ranma, for his part, uses a boulder that he iced with the Gekkaja to shield himself from said lava. He never actually withstands rock-melting temperatures himself, not without the help of doll-Akane or the magical-cold artifact.
In fact, Akane has to act as a human shield to keep him alive against Saffron's blasts even before Saffron's heat hits the rock-melting point.
Speaking of heat, don't forget that kinetic force is not the be-all and end-all of damage types. True, Sailor Moon universe attacks might not punch people through walls as often as Ranma's do--but that'll be of small comfort to someone whose body has been engulfed in, say, magical napalm from a Fire Soul or some such attack.
Really, quite a few of the SM-universe spells seem to be more contact effects, or cutting/piercing attacks, rather than any attempt at "blowing someone away". I don't have a comprehensive enough knowledge to authoritatively speak to the percentage, but it definitely seems to be a fairly large one.
Until I can get a different screen to appear I will have to assume she made it out like any normal human could have.

The main page I got them from is here:
http://soul-hunter.com/sailormoon/galleryscreencaps/042/index5.php
Although this one includes a play-by-play that gives a better sense of the timing:
http://www.anime-online.com/minako/svepisode/episode8.html
Apparently, the grenade landed at her feet, and took out the entire warehouse when it blew.
Climhazard wrote:Well, they have some pretty nifty resistance against energy. And some good resistance to physical damage. But last IMO not as strong as NWC. But energy resistance clearly better that NWC's.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I think I'd play it if I were doing a crossover. Corresponding edges--the Senshi have better spell resistance, not so good impact resistance, and vice versa. But I'd keep the difference--in both directions--small enough that each team can spar meaningfully with each other on both levels.
I doubt I'd have any of the Senshi be quite able to beat Ranma in a straight one-on-one (except Moon in her Princess form, of course) but I'd have at least Jupiter and Uranus make him really work for it. And there certainly wouldn't be any of the "godlike-Ranma owns all the Senshi simultaneously" stuff you see paraded around from time to time.
But that's just my personal spin. The kind of discussion we're doing here is fun enough, but to really go all the way and put an actual crossover into effect you've got to make so many conversion decisions and decide on subtle nuances that there really is no way to definitively and rigorously "prove" in a context like this. Not to mention that no series is even perfectly self-consistent, least of all a comedy like Ranma.
In the end, it leaves all kinds of room for interpretation, and for power scales sliding all over the place. And I think that's a good thing. It allows you to frame your fic in whatever direction you need to. Do you need to have the NWC beating up the Senshi? Do you need to have the Senshi beating up the NWC? Having the freedom to pull either from the canon, depending on the needs of your story, is very nice.
In fact, I sometimes wonder if, instead of trying to come to an answer in discussions like these, we shouldn't instead be searching for points of ambiguity, and ways to further muddy the waters within the context of canon...
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:51 pm

claymade wrote:If they did, then the correlating question to that that you'd also want to ask is whether anyone in any of the Moon Kingdom flashbacks--particularly anyone not in a Senshi form--ever did move in Moon-realistic gravity. The answer to that would give an indication as to whether the gravity effect was in fact localized to the Senshi, or just part of a general life-support system. (Or just laziness on the part of the animators.)

The life support seem most probable.
Well, it obviously isn't conclusive one way or the other. Like I said, I personally doubt she was counting on hitting the fuel tank, since A) she never said anything to indicate she was and more importantly B) unless she's knows a lot more about passenger jets than I would imagine the average 14-year old to know, I doubt she'd know where to aim.

She probably could destroy a jet, considering how big/intense she made her Fire Soul while half dead.
Exactly. A weapon attack--like from Kuno's sword--can injure Ranma. So the question becomes: how do Crow's whip strikes compare to Kuno's sword strikes?
Well, we can't know for certain... but Kuno's sword doesn't really knock Ranma around very much at all, while the whip strikes seem to be powerful enough to send the Senshi flying bodily. Thus, if you're looking to do a crossover analysis, a rather reasonable thing to do would be to decide that Crow's strikes are in fact far more damaging than Kuno's--which gives you an instance of the Senshi weathering blows of Ranmaverse-or-greater power.

Whoever said that whip was exactly like a normal Earth whip? Lead Crow was an alien after all. She could've charged it up as well, of course.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Zwzn wrote:And yet never seems to use said superhuman strength.

claymade wrote:Well, sure. Hand to hand isn't her forte. She's better off slinging magic around in youma battles--why the heck should she go in and mix it up with fistcuffs?
It doesn't change the fact that, in that situation where she was forced to use superhuman strength, she was able to.
The problem is she is forced into hand to hand combat many times, and never use superhuman strength. After the other senshi got loose they where not sure they could teleport safely with Moon. It would seem that Moon was using more energy then normal just to stand.
Zwzn wrote: Don't the senshi go to the Moon at one point in season 1, and walk as if on the Earth?

claymade wrote:Never saw the episode, so I can't say.
If they did, then the correlating question to that that you'd also want to ask is whether anyone in any of the Moon Kingdom flashbacks--particularly anyone not in a Senshi form--ever did move in Moon-realistic gravity. The answer to that would give an indication as to whether the gravity effect was in fact localized to the Senshi, or just part of a general life-support system. (Or just laziness on the part of the animators.)
It proves that gravity control was not beyond the Moon kingdom. The idea that the senshi could control gravity a little seems reasonable.
Zwzn wrote: The crystal seems to me at least to be a capasitor basicly in season 2 at least. It draws energy from the other senshi to power it's user(Usagi). The other senshi tend to recover quickly after being drained by it.

claymade wrote:Even if it can function in that way, it very obviously has significant power of it's own--it's used against Beryl before the dead Senshi even start to pitch in, and having two crystals turns the tables against Wiseman, which would make no sense whatsoever if they were just channels.
So again: do we have any evidence that suggests she was drawing from the other Senshi in that particular scene?
Moon died in season 1 because the crystal started to drain energy from her. Moon was running out of power when the inners ghost appear and add some of thier own energy.
A capasitor is a device with the ability to store electrical energy.
Zwzn wrote:That speeks rather poorly for thew senshi, and rather well for the NWC

claymade wrote:How do you figure that? At the worst it's only neutral--and to me it gives the implication that the Senshi are at least roughly in Ranma's ballpark in terms of physical damage resistance. I can't see anything in the scene that implies a NWC advantage over the Senshi.
Ranma was hit in the air, and barely moved because of a blow that could break or cut stone. The senshi where hit by a whip and thrown into a wall, and could not stand after.
Does anyone remember what mundane whip injures the senshi had? I'm begining to think the whip used is as much a whip as the love me chain is a chain. The love me chain does not seem to be a chain at all to me, but an energy construct that looks like a chain. The whip could also be a sort of techno babble weapon.
Zwzn wrote:So the senshi take energy blast that can throw things through wall? I don't remember that ever happening, let alone without the senshi being at least out of the fight. The senshi can't take a flame trower(or was the flame buster a vortext cannon?) that could not melt stone, and Ranmma can stand up to Saffron's flame that can. The Ki blast(magical attacks if you ask me) throw people throught stone walls.

claymade wrote:Actually, when Saffron melts the rock, it's with a blast he makes lower down in the tornado, which melts the rock down there, and then sends it spewing upward at Ranma. Ranma, for his part, uses a boulder that he iced with the Gekkaja to shield himself from said lava. He never actually withstands rock-melting temperatures himself, not without the help of doll-Akane or the magical-cold artifact.
In fact, Akane has to act as a human shield to keep him alive against Saffron's blasts even before Saffron's heat hits the rock-melting point.
Speaking of heat, don't forget that kinetic force is not the be-all and end-all of damage types. True, Sailor Moon universe attacks might not punch people through walls as often as Ranma's do--but that'll be of small comfort to someone whose body has been engulfed in, say, magical napalm from a Fire Soul or some such attack.
Really, quite a few of the SM-universe spells seem to be more contact effects, or cutting/piercing attacks, rather than any attempt at "blowing someone away". I don't have a comprehensive enough knowledge to authoritatively speak to the percentage, but it definitely seems to be a fairly large one.
The senshi in season 4 got thier asses handed to them by Queen Nefy in direct combat. Her attacks seem to have not been powerful enough to send them flying.
Akane did not protect Ranma from the heat of Saffron's attacks. The heat alone should have killed Ranma. Ranma seems to be able to withstand extrems of hot and cold as well as kinetic force.
contact effects, or cutting/piercing attacks arre very common in the Ranma verse. Ranma and company deal with them rather well. Ranma has been hit with attacks that can cut through stone, and was not cut or not badly enough to take him out of the fight.
Moon's attacks after Moon Tiara action seem to be made solely to take on the monster of the week. There is a strong chance they would not work well on a human, and they tend to have insanely long charge times for fighting any of the NWC.
The only attacks the senshi have that I can't recall the Ranma-verse having something similar to are:
Mercury's early attacks
world shaking
any of Jupiter's attacks
Flame sniper
Time stop
Saturn's attacks, but that may just be because of scale
The senshi tend to win by just overpowering the enemy.
Zwzn wrote:Until I can get a different screen to appear I will have to assume she made it out like any normal human could have.

claymade wrote:The main page I got them from is here:
http://soul-hunter.com/sailormoon/galleryscreencaps/042/index5.php
Although this one includes a play-by-play that gives a better sense of the timing:
http://www.anime-online.com/minako/svepisode/episode8.html
Apparently, the grenade landed at her feet, and took out the entire warehouse when it blew.

The golden blast makes me think V blew the place up. Last I checked grenades don't blow up like that.
Climhazard wrote:Well, they have some pretty nifty resistance against energy. And some good resistance to physical damage. But last IMO not as strong as NWC. But energy resistance clearly better that NWC's.

claymade wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much how I think I'd play it if I were doing a crossover. Corresponding edges--the Senshi have better spell resistance, not so good impact resistance, and vice versa. But I'd keep the difference--in both directions--small enough that each team can spar meaningfully with each other on both levels.
I doubt I'd have any of the Senshi be quite able to beat Ranma in a straight one-on-one (except Moon in her Princess form, of course) but I'd have at least Jupiter and Uranus make him really work for it. And there certainly wouldn't be any of the "godlike-Ranma owns all the Senshi simultaneously" stuff you see paraded around from time to time.
But that's just my personal spin. The kind of discussion we're doing here is fun enough, but to really go all the way and put an actual crossover into effect you've got to make so many conversion decisions and decide on subtle nuances that there really is no way to definitively and rigorously "prove" in a context like this. Not to mention that no series is even perfectly self-consistent, least of all a comedy like Ranma.
In the end, it leaves all kinds of room for interpretation, and for power scales sliding all over the place. And I think that's a good thing. It allows you to frame your fic in whatever direction you need to. Do you need to have the NWC beating up the Senshi? Do you need to have the Senshi beating up the NWC? Having the freedom to pull either from the canon, depending on the needs of your story, is very nice.
In fact, I sometimes wonder if, instead of trying to come to an answer in discussions like these, we shouldn't instead be searching for points of ambiguity, and ways to further muddy the waters within the context of canon...
Personally I would put the senshi's(anime) abilities at about low to mid NWC, like I said the senshi do have some tricks the NWC have never seen before.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:47 pm

Whoever said that whip was exactly like a normal Earth whip?

I fail to see where planet of origin factors in.
A whip is an object of negligible mass that was, in this case, used to hit hard enough to send people flying.
For comparison, bullets don't do that. And the mass of a bullet and the striking area of a whip... No hard numbers, but they're certainly in the same ballpark. In other words, they got hit harder than a gun would hit them, and not only did they have no horrific piercing wounds, they could stand.
In the end, claymade's saying what I have all along. They're different series, by different authors, who intend to show different things. Trying to get hard answers by comparing Sailor Moon - which tends towards the emotional side of affairs and just smacking problems with truly overwhelming power - and Ranma, which leans towards comedic depictions of ludicrous strength... It's somewhere along the lines of 'the height of idiocy'. They don't exist in the same universe, so when you bring them into the same universe it's supposed to be your choice how they interact. There are no hard answers, nor should there be.
You want god-Ranma? Go ahead. But don't try and tell us it's 'the truth'.
Edit:
Ranma was hit in the air, and barely moved because of a blow that could break or cut stone.

That's a sign of weakness, Zewes. He was in the air: thus, it was only the strength of the blow that factored in - he had no leverage for his own strength to do jack shit against it. And the blow didn't even move him - a human being who at most masses a little over average.
Thus, the blow was pitifully weak. And it injured him. This isn't a hard train of logical thought, Zewes.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby FOG3 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:02 pm

Climhazard wrote:Don't know about 8 pounders and kinetic displacement
The ballistic arc of an object and its weight tell us everything about its movement. If I can replicate the ballistic arc with the same weight, I replicated the throw. Claiming superhuman there is purely circular logic.
Climhazard wrote:this
Okay he gets carried into a rock pile he disrupts before letting go of the thing and ending up in the water. No impact for the head, and the rocks are blunt so unless he hits hard enough to break his spine, which doesn't appear to be the case, so what?
Climhazard wrote:this

You do realize you're proving my point that isn't rock, right? Rock is simply incapable of compressing that much without shattering. So yeah, he took it with a styrofoam cushion soaking up and slowing down the impact, a lot, while your example if it was the way you think refers to the Senshi taking it on an unyielding solid. Nevermind the not so minor problem that those of us who have a little medical training recognize. If they're still conscious, their joints/ligaments/etc are still functional, what's damaged so they can "barely move"? Bruises wouldn't have developed that far, and pain is something that simply discourages movement. A major concussion would be the closest and we'd see a little more in follow through if that was the case.
This entire discussion over physical strength is so much dick wagging. Ranma isn't Dragonball Yamcha who after his first Bodukai (still ~level with Goku at intro) can after a minute of realization track the invisible man by listening to the movement of the air. Nor is his ITITQ anywhere near developed enough for targeting like Mr.Popo's. Standard tactics involve deploying the Shabon Spray and in a straight DM, at this point he's screwed. Otherwise as Lina would point out Astral creatures have high resistances to physical damage.
FOG3

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:12 pm

Whoever said that whip was exactly like a normal Earth whip?

Pale Wolf wrote:I fail to see where planet of origin factors in.
A whip is an object of negligible mass that was, in this case, used to hit hard enough to send people flying.
For comparison, bullets don't do that. And the mass of a bullet and the striking area of a whip... No hard numbers, but they're certainly in the same ballpark. In other words, they got hit harder than a gun would hit them, and not only did they have no horrific piercing wounds, they could stand.
In the end, claymade's saying what I have all along. They're different series, by different authors, who intend to show different things. Trying to get hard answers by comparing Sailor Moon - which tends towards the emotional side of affairs and just smacking problems with truly overwhelming power - and Ranma, which leans towards comedic depictions of ludicrous strength... It's somewhere along the lines of 'the height of idiocy'. They don't exist in the same universe, so when you bring them into the same universe it's supposed to be your choice how they interact. There are no hard answers, nor should there be.
You want god-Ranma? Go ahead. But don't try and tell us it's 'the truth'.
The whip Lead Crow used may only have looked like a whip, or may have had hidden "tech" in it. Just as the Space Sword Uranus uses is not a normal Earth sword.
There are martial artists that can do things like jump higher then Jupiter's head without power ups.
Edit:
Ranma was hit in the air, and barely moved because of a blow that could break or cut stone.

Pale Wolf wrote:That's a sign of weakness, Zewes. He was in the air: thus, it was only the strength of the blow that factored in - he had no leverage for his own strength to do jack shit against it. And the blow didn't even move him - a human being who at most masses a little over average.
Thus, the blow was pitifully weak. And it injured him. This isn't a hard train of logical thought, Zewes.
One the name I go by at this site and others is Zwzn. It actual means something in a code I made in a simple code I made in high school when I was baord.
Two Ranma has many times been hit wiht things that should have cut him but did not.
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book01/RM01-135.html
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book01/RM01-140.html
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book01/RM01-141.html
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book01/RM01-142.html
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby claymade » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Zwzn wrote:The problem is she is forced into hand to hand combat many times, and never use superhuman strength.

When?
Zwzn wrote:After the other senshi got loose they where not sure they could teleport safely with Moon. It would seem that Moon was using more energy then normal just to stand.

Sure. So 16X gravity is around Moon's upper limit. That's a pretty impressive upper limit.
Zwzn wrote:It proves that gravity control was not beyond the Moon kingdom. The idea that the senshi could control gravity a little seems reasonable.

It's theoretically possible. But like I already said, if she was just negating her gravity then the ground wouldn't have cracked under her.
Zwzn wrote:Moon died in season 1 because the crystal started to drain energy from her. Moon was running out of power when the inners ghost appear and add some of thier own energy.

Given the whole crystal/starseed situation, it's tricky to say that crystal was "draining" it from her, since it seems to be on some level a part of her. In any case, technicalities aside, the point is the same--Usagi can both recieve power from others, and use power that is inherent to herself--as your example aptly demonstrates.
So, a third time: do we have any evidence that suggests she was drawing from the other Senshi in that particular scene?
Zwzn wrote:Ranma was hit in the air, and barely moved because of a blow that could break or cut stone. The senshi where hit by a whip and thrown into a wall, and could not stand after.

Right. And given that the mass of Ranma and a Senshi are not likely to be that dramatically different, it's thus not unreasonable to hypothesize that the whip strike was thus way more powerful than the sword strike. And given that the Senshi weren't KOed by it, it suggests them in at least a Nerima-esque DR bracket. (As Pale Wolf points out far more effectively than me.)
Not that there's anything truly definitive about it--anime knockback is rather inconsistent in the best of times, and there's no way to run empirical tests between the two series to be sure. But it certainly wouldn't be inconsistent with canon to give them that kind of DR in a fic.
Does anyone remember what mundane whip injures the senshi had? I'm begining to think the whip used is as much a whip as the love me chain is a chain. The love me chain does not seem to be a chain at all to me, but an energy construct that looks like a chain. The whip could also be a sort of techno babble weapon.

Well, whatever enhancements might theoretically have been made to her weapon by Galaxia or whoever, I rather doubt they made it less damaging than a normal whip would have been. So really, it only makes the Senshi's feat that much more impressive.
The senshi in season 4 got thier asses handed to them by Queen Nefy in direct combat. Her attacks seem to have not been powerful enough to send them flying.

Which episode was this in?
Akane did not protect Ranma from the heat of Saffron's attacks.

Saffron: "Still, who would have thought she'd absorb the heat and be a shield for you. You landlings are such sentimental fools."
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book38/RM38-105.gif
contact effects, or cutting/piercing attacks arre very common in the Ranma verse. Ranma and company deal with them rather well. Ranma has been hit with attacks that can cut through stone, and was not cut or not badly enough to take him out of the fight.

Sure. I'm not disputing that he has some impressive cutting resistance. I'm just pointing out that "knocking through walls" ain't the only standard to measure attack strength by, and consequently its relative lack in Sailor Moon doesn't mean that SM-verse attacks can't still be considered powerful by NWC standards.
Moon's attacks after Moon Tiara action seem to be made solely to take on the monster of the week. There is a strong chance they would not work well on a human, and they tend to have insanely long charge times for fighting any of the NWC.

On what evidence do you say they might not work well on a human?
Granted, her charge times would be a problem in a solo battle. Without anyone to cover her, it's doubtful whether Moon would be able to take a NWC member one-on-one. (Unless she went Moon Princess, of course.)
The golden blast makes me think V blew the place up. Last I checked grenades don't blow up like that.

Wha-? Why on earth would she do that? I think you're reading a bit much into the animator's pallete choice.
(Not to mention that that kinda backfires on you if your goal is to prove the absolute supremacy of Ranma over the Sailors. To avoid that one piece of evidence for her super-durability, you've just given her a previously-unknown, cataclysmically powerful area-of-effect/incindiary blast that she can unleash without any apparent powerup time.)
FOG3 wrote:Standard tactics involve deploying the Shabon Spray and in a straight DM, at this point he's screwed.

Hmm? Can the Senshi themselves see in a Shabon Spray? I'd always been under the impression it was a two-way blind...
The ballistic arc of an object and its weight tell us everything about its movement. If I can replicate the ballistic arc with the same weight, I replicated the throw. Claiming superhuman there is purely circular logic.

Sure, if you've got the trajectory. The instance that Zwzn found didn't even show that, and, like him, I can't recall any other similar instances. Unless you were thinking of a different situation--and can provide a reference--there's really nothing to discuss.
Pale Wolf wrote:They're different series, by different authors, who intend to show different things. Trying to get hard answers by comparing Sailor Moon - which tends towards the emotional side of affairs and just smacking problems with truly overwhelming power - and Ranma, which leans towards comedic depictions of ludicrous strength... It's somewhere along the lines of 'the height of idiocy'. They don't exist in the same universe, so when you bring them into the same universe it's supposed to be your choice how they interact. There are no hard answers, nor should there be.

Very true. Although the thing that is nice about these kind of discussions is that knocking around the world-rules like this helps--in a Darwinian sort of way--to plot out the various hinges and levers that can be used to mold your fic. Even if the relative strengths of, say, the generic energy blasts of universe A vs. the generic energy blasts of universe B can't be rigorously and definitively compared, batting them around like this helps to get ideas and feelings for how different blends can be accomplished, with the fewest visible "seams" or "warping" between the universes.
Plus, it's fun, in a geeky sort of way... :D
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:15 pm

The whip Lead Crow used may only have looked like a whip, or may have had hidden "tech" in it. Just as the Space Sword Uranus uses is not a normal Earth sword.

... That makes no freaking sense.
Hidden 'tech' does not change the basic nature of the form. Uranus's sword is 'not a normal Earth sword'. So what? It's lighter, sharper, harder, but it's still a sword.
Two Ranma has many times been hit wiht things that should have cut him but did not.

Blunt object. If you're going to say 'should cut him', bloody well prove it. He got hit with a stick.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:57 am

Zwzn wrote: The problem is she is forced into hand to hand combat many times, and never use superhuman strength.

claymade wrote: When?
It happens often enough in every season. I can't rermember a time Moon stikes a Monster of the week with her fist.
Zwzn wrote: After the other senshi got loose they where not sure they could teleport safely with Moon. It would seem that Moon was using more energy then normal just to stand.

claymade wrote: It's theoretically possible. But like I already said, if she was just negating her gravity then the ground wouldn't have cracked under her.
I will ask again when where the cracks made? It should also be noted that Saturn caued cracks doing Silence Glaive Suprise. Silence Glaive Suprise is a stun attack not ment to cause damage.
Can you also tell me how the gravity was being increast?
The cracks for all we know where made by the floor's own wieght, and not Moon's.
Zwzn wrote: After the other senshi got loose they where not sure they could teleport safely with Moon. It would seem that Moon was using more energy then normal just to stand.

claymade wrote: Sure. So 16X gravity is around Moon's upper limit. That's a pretty impressive upper limit.
She can't seem to do anything other then stand when using said uper limit, and can barely do anything with the help of other after.
Zwzn wrote: It proves that gravity control was not beyond the Moon kingdom. The idea that the senshi could control gravity a little seems reasonable.

claymade wrote: It's theoretically possible. But like I already said, if she was just negating her gravity then the ground wouldn't have cracked under her.
The floor own wieght?
I'm not saying that the senshi don't get a stronger when they transform.
Zwzn wrote: Moon died in season 1 because the crystal started to drain energy from her. Moon was running out of power when the inners ghost appear and add some of thier own energy.

claymade wrote: Given the whole crystal/starseed situation, it's tricky to say that crystal was "draining" it from her, since it seems to be on some level a part of her. In any case, technicalities aside, the point is the same--Usagi can both recieve power from others, and use power that is inherent to herself--as your example aptly demonstrates.
We have gone over this in other threads. The silver crystal can't be her star seed, and does not act like one. I don't recall the other senshi being on screen at the time, but it has been some time.
claymade wrote: So, a third time: do we have any evidence that suggests she was drawing from the other Senshi in that particular scene?

Silver energy = energy from more then one senshi. You see this when ever the senshi combined thier powers.
Zwzn wrote: Does anyone remember what mundane whip injures the senshi had? I'm begining to think the whip used is as much a whip as the love me chain is a chain. The love me chain does not seem to be a chain at all to me, but an energy construct that looks like a chain. The whip could also be a sort of techno babble weapon.

claymade wrote: Well, whatever enhancements might theoretically have been made to her weapon by Galaxia or whoever, I rather doubt they made it less damaging than a normal whip would have been. So really, it only makes the Senshi's feat that much more impressive.
Whips can't do what Lead Crow's did, so it means it was not a whip, and only looked like one.
Zwzn wrote: The senshi in season 4 got thier asses handed to them by Queen Nefy in direct combat. Her attacks seem to have not been powerful enough to send them flying.

claymade wrote: Which episode was this in?
Not sure, but it was at the end of the season. something like the last 4 Ep.s.
Zwzn wrote: Akane did not protect Ranma from the heat of Saffron's attacks.

claymade wrote: Saffron: "Still, who would have thought she'd absorb the heat and be a shield for you. You landlings are such sentimental fools."
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book38/RM38-105.gif
Strange how the evidence you gave proves my point. At best Akane blunted the attack, but it still should have kill him.
Zwzn wrote: contact effects, or cutting/piercing attacks arre very common in the Ranma verse. Ranma and company deal with them rather well. Ranma has been hit with attacks that can cut through stone, and was not cut or not badly enough to take him out of the fight.

claymade wrote: Sure. I'm not disputing that he has some impressive cutting resistance. I'm just pointing out that "knocking through walls" ain't the only standard to measure attack strength by, and consequently its relative lack in Sailor Moon doesn't mean that SM-verse attacks can't still be considered powerful by NWC standards.
The Sailor Moon anime has it's fair share collateral damage. It is usually caused by the senshi's enemies.
Zwzn wrote: Moon's attacks after Moon Tiara action seem to be made solely to take on the monster of the week. There is a strong chance they would not work well on a human, and they tend to have insanely long charge times for fighting any of the NWC.

claymade wrote: On what evidence do you say they might not work well on a human?
The fact that each season her old attacks seem to become useless or at least less efective. Also if you look at her attacks from season 3(S) they only target the daimon pod, but leave the possessed object unharmed.
claymade wrote: Granted, her charge times would be a problem in a solo battle. Without anyone to cover her, it's doubtful whether Moon would be able to take a NWC member one-on-one. (Unless she went Moon Princess, of course.)
The charge time is still a problem, and the fact she seems unable to move when she uses her poowers. She also has a limited firing arc that they could just get out of the way of.
Zwzn wrote: The golden blast makes me think V blew the place up. Last I checked grenades don't blow up like that.

claymade wrote: Wha-? Why on earth would she do that? I think you're reading a bit much into the animator's pallete choice.
(Not to mention that that kinda backfires on you if your goal is to prove the absolute supremacy of Ranma over the Sailors. To avoid that one piece of evidence for her super-durability, you've just given her a previously-unknown, cataclysmically powerful area-of-effect/incindiary blast that she can unleash without any apparent powerup time.)
A variant of Cresant Beam. Crestan Beam seems to have a thermal asspect to it.
FOG3 wrote: Standard tactics involve deploying the Shabon Spray and in a straight DM, at this point he's screwed.

Only the if the target stand still. It does nothing to stop something from running away or just attacking. The enemies are often rather stupid in this way generally.
Zwzn wrote: Two Ranma has many times been hit wiht things that should have cut him but did not.

Pale Wolf
wrote:
Blunt object. If you're going to say 'should cut him', bloody well prove it. He got hit with a stick.
His shirt was cut it seems, and Ryu used attacks ment to cut on him.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:16 am

It happens often enough in every season. I can't rermember a time Moon stikes a Monster of the week with her fist.

Third episode or so? She beats up the brainwashed citizenry unarmed.
Whips can't do what Lead Crow's did, so it means it was not a whip, and only looked like one.

... Whips can't hit people? What the hell are you talking about?
Whips wielded by human beings cannot throw people back in that manner - this much is true.
Do you know why, or would you rather continue talking?
Simple: humans cannot put so much strength in that the whip's negligible mass will actually throw a person upon hitting.
Lead Crow's whip did do this. Now, there are two solutions to this conundrum. One, is to say 'it was not a whip and only looked like one'. And this could be the case. However, there's no evidence of this. And not only that, you don't even have a way outlined for it to be different! Come up with an actual theory, don't try to argue 'Um, maybe it's kinda different-ish somehow or another'.
The other solution? Simple! She hit harder than a human being's strength is capable of. Simple, clean, elegant - Occam would be proud. Feel free to contest it, but come up with something real.
His shirt was cut it seems,

... Cutting silk is not the same thing as cutting flesh and bone! Different materials have different levels of resistance! This is basic.
and Ryu used attacks ment to cut on him.

Then link it! I'm not going to argue events you don't bother citing.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:39 am

Note: I have not seen the episode in question so I have no idea how possible this theory could be, I'm just more or less throwing it out there as a possibility
Could the whip have been used in such a way that when it "snaped" it produced a shockwave strong enough to pick up the senshi and throw them back? One of the reasons small things aren't likely to propell larger things is the force behind them would only transfer to a small area of the larger object, hence why bullets, which have a lot of force behind them but are quite small push through what they hit more often than they throw it around. A whip producing a shockwave that grows large enough to throw someone off their feet sounds at least a little more plausibe than a whip throwing them off their feet on it's own.
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby claymade » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 am

Zwzn wrote:It happens often enough in every season. I can't rermember a time Moon stikes a Monster of the week with her fist.

Specific example, please.
<gravity stuff>

Okay, rather than continue to guess based on secondhand descriptions, I went and found the screenshot page for the episode where the gravity bit happens. Here it is:
http://soul-hunter.com/sailormoon/galleryscreencaps/074/index4.php
So let's go through the sequence: bad guy is flinging Moon around, finally slamming her into the ground and crushing her there with enough force to crunch the metal floor under her. But then, with intense and obvious exertion, she rises to her feet, shocking him. He realizes that he's underestimated her, and decides to finish her off himself, cutting the gravity and going for a direct attack instead.
Contrary to my earlier thoughts about it being her uppermost limit, it's not the case that the effort of standing has drained her, rendering her helpless, and standing is the only thing she can do at this point. In fact, she proceeds to go for an attack herself, matching energy blasts with him. They duke it out, until her breaks through her blast, slamming her way backward and into a solid metal bulkhead with enough force to but a huge spiderweb in it.
He is distracted by something that Chibi-Usa is doing, and goes to deal with her, only to be attacked once more by Sailor Moon, who is still fighting despite his attack. Chibi does whatever she's doing, which frees the other Senshi, and starts a fire on the ship. The senshi teleport away, and upon landing, Usagi begins joking/arguing with Rei and Chibi--in other words, she wasn't even seriously injured by all that.
Oh, and I can see no "silver" energy--or energy of any kind--when she's fighting her way to her feet. (Not that I actually buy the silver=combination color coding. Note that Usagi attacks Beryl with silver energy when fighting on her own, and pink energy when they combine.)
Here's a text synopsis also:
http://www.tcp.com/~doi/smoon/episodes/smr074.html
Not sure, but it was at the end of the season. something like the last 4 Ep.s.

I did a search, but I can't seem to find the instance you refer to. If you want to cite this, could you narrow it down to an episode?
Strange how the evidence you gave proves my point. At best Akane blunted the attack, but it still should have kill him.

It proves your point...how? It shows that he survived because Akane absorbed the heat from Saffron's blast. And this was before Saffron reached rock-melting temperatures.
Obvious inference: if Ranma needs Akane's help to survive even at the lower temperatures, then the actual rock-melting temperatures will very clearly kill him on his own.
The charge time is still a problem, and the fact she seems unable to move when she uses her poowers. She also has a limited firing arc that they could just get out of the way of.

Unable to move? Limited firing arc? I would like to see some actual evidence for these claims as well.
A variant of Cresant Beam. Crestan Beam seems to have a thermal asspect to it.

Well if the Crescent Beam can do that, then Ranma's ass is grass if he ever goes up against her. It'd basically be an Incindeary Perfect Shi Shi Hokodan Plus that travells laterally, doesn't require special circumstances to fire, and can't be turned against its wielder.
Not that I actually think for a moment that it was V, of course. It really doesn't make any sense why she'd do something like that in that situation. And if the writers had actually intended to convey that she, without precedent of any kind (and for no apparent reason) turned a laser-like attack into a 360-degree mammoth explosion attack, then I think they would have made it a bit clearer than just giving their explosion a yellowish tinge.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 pm

claymade wrote:Hmm? Can the Senshi themselves see in a Shabon Spray? I'd always been under the impression it was a two-way blind...
In S season they used it to not only blind the two Witches they had issues with taking down, but conduct coordinated movement so that the two nailed each other. I shouldn't need to point out maneuvering in fog with that kind of coordination, without being able to see and nothing like a compass is just short of impossible. Plus unless you want to claim that Moon is so good she can target and nail people with that Tiara, blindfolded, they can see just fine.
Zwzn wrote:Only the if the target stand still. It does nothing to stop something from running away or just attacking. The enemies are often rather stupid in this way generally.
Moving and attacking? You mean like the last two witches did in S season? I find it ironic that the inherent flaw in the HSH is being claimed to be a flaw in the Shabon Spray. HSH requires the person to be at the center of the spiral when it's triggered for it to not misfire, as Happy showed quite clearly in its intro arc. If anyone screws up in not moving, it's Ranma's major opponents being stupid that way.
Sorry buddys the stunts they pull and the reliability of their targetting within the Shabon Spray seems to put the burden of proof on you for them to have issues.
FOG3

Postby claymade » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:05 am

FOG3 wrote:Moving and attacking? You mean like the last two witches did in S season?

I personally would think more along the lines of what Ranma did against Ryouga in the Bakusai Tenketsu fight. Namely, realize that fighting in a situation where your foes have superior visibility is a not-good-thing, employ the Saotome Secret Technique with all deliberate speed, get the heck out of the mist altogether, and wait for a better shot--hopefully to take out the mist-creator with a sneak attack or something.
For my part, even without the Spray I don't think I'd personally write an outnumbered Ranma as beating all the assembled Senshi by himself in a straight-up fight. One-on-one, sure, maybe even two-on-one if it's the right two, but not all of them at once.
Still, I think you're overstating the Spray's effectiveness a bit. The spray isn't a total blind, it's a camoflaging mist. The enemies it's used on can still see somewhat, their vision is just severely curtailed--fighting in mist, as it were. In any case, there's no reason to say that it'd guarantee a win against Ranma when it doesn't even guarantee a win against the various monsters-of-the-day.
Especially since I think Ranma's senses are a bit better than you give him credit for. For one thing, the effectiveness of the Umisenken wouldn't even be possible unless non-visual tracking was in fact a vital component to Ranmaverse fights, the lack of which would be a crippling disadvantage. In fact, even Akane-level martial artists seem to be able to sense someone's presence, and to notice with astonishment when it disappears.
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book28/RM28-097.gif
Thus, while the Spray is effective, it seems unfathomable to me that it would be more effective against Ranmaverse fighters than the average monster-of-the-day, and in fact it seems highly likely be significantly less effective.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous