FF.Net Alerts

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

FF.Net Alerts

Postby darkwoofe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:58 pm

The alerts on FF.net seem to down. I've found at least three stories on fanfiction.net that have been updated without sending me a story or author alert. I think some people are getting them, but I haven't had one for about five days now and I normally get at least one every other day. Anyone know what going on?
darkwoofe
Senshi Candidate

Postby Waruiko » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:40 pm

The alerts are indeed down. I don't know whats caused it, but everything else seems to be working fine, so it's probibly being worked on or something.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)
Ignorance is curable; stupid is forever - Elizabeth Gibson
Waruiko
Senshi Cadet

Postby lwf58 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:40 pm

It's a waste of time to talk about FF.net's problems. They have breakdowns every few days, and eventually fix them, especially if enough people complain. If it's something you care about, then send an email pointing out the problem to FF.net's admins.
Posting about it in forums like this won't change a thing, and that sort of thing happens so often that we'd have dozens of pointless threads about temporary FF.net breakdowns if I didn't say something about it.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby stratagemini » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:06 pm

I just got a bundle of older alerts (not the most current but hey what can you do). So I think they're coming back online with teh alerts.
Also, threads like this are useful because they inform people who read fics at FF.net that they need to take a more active role in looking at the fics they read for the time being. sure it won't fix the problem, but it'll help people ride it out and inform authors who might decide to post their stories to FF.Net later than they would usually in order to take advantage of the alert systems.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby lwf58 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:32 am

Ah, but you just proved my point. The problem with the alerts was fixed within 24 hours.
That's why I don't like seeing threads about FF.net issues. They are almost always temporary, and happen way too often. Their site just isn't very robust. I'm expressing my dislike of FF.net threads in the hope of preventing fukufics from being cluttered with complaints about things that get fixed without our input.
Hmm. Am I the only one who dislikes these threads? If Sunshine or DCG reads this, please post a reply stating your opinions. I feel strongly enough about it to propose a ban on FF.net complaints, but if neither of you agree, I'll just shut up and let folks post FF.net complaints to their hearts' content.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Waruiko » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:42 am

The problem within the alerts was fixed with 24 hours of the topic being made. The problem was there for more than just a day. The alerts I got were from at least three days ago.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)
Ignorance is curable; stupid is forever - Elizabeth Gibson
Waruiko
Senshi Cadet

Postby B'man » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:33 am

Dedi FF.net topic, anyone?
B'man
Senshi Cadet

Postby DCG » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:29 am

Ff.net has problems far to often to care about.
For the bords well...
If it's a newbie i would give em some slack, But for the rest of the lot,FF's problems are covered enought in the chatroom as it is.
No reason to post about it.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Phoenix » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:37 pm

good to know that I'm not the only who's having this problem. I was starting to believe that Ranma fan fiction was dying faster than its actually is.
got a whole batch of mails last week so its seems to have been fixed.
Edit: Spelling
http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/6534/3/0/1/ -Your source for onna ranma fics.
Phoenix
Senshi Cadet

Return to Miscellaneous