General Questions mk 2

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: General Questions mk 2

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:This is just something that came to mind and which I thought I'd ask. As we all know, the Nanniichuan at the failed wedding was lost because Happosai drank it, claiming he'd mistaken it for sake. This is a puzzler to a lot of people; after all, how do you mistake spring or mineral water (whichever Jusenkyo water is) for rice wine? Well, I was wondering: what if Happosai knew all along what the Nanniichuan was and drank it to deliberately ruin any chance Ranma may have had at getting cured, claiming he "mistook it for sake" as one of the ever-present feeble "cover my ass" lies?

If I saw a wooden keg being given as a gift in a wedding, I'd assume it contained something alchoholic rather than water. I would be surprised more to find out it was water than if it were sake.

I've met people who have drunk a glass of cooking oil and isopropyl alchohol, thinking it was water, and finished a liter of ORS, thinking it was orange juice. Take that to an extreme in a comedy series.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:32 pm

This is something I was just wondering after reading through a Ranma/Kasumi fanfic on FFN: is it canonical that Kasumi does all of the household chores? Or is it canonical that she merely does most of the household chores? I know that she usually shown taking care of such things, but I do know at least a few times off the top of my head where others have helped out (Nabiki: helps Kasumi clean up after dinner in the first ghost cat episode, brings in/takes out some laundry in Happosai's Happy Heart... Ranma: gets nails in preperation to fix the leaky roof in The Great Girly-Girl Gambit, shovels snow off the sidewalk in season 5).
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:16 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:This is something I was just wondering after reading through a Ranma/Kasumi fanfic on FFN: is it canonical that Kasumi does all of the household chores? Or is it canonical that she merely does most of the household chores?

I believe it is canonical that Akane helps with the cooking ...
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Don't remind us! :P

Anyway, I'd say that she does most of the work, most of the time. Off the top of my head, I recall Nabiki helping with the laundry in one anime episode, and Ranma had been cleaning the dojo in the manga, in the story where Nabiki becomes his fiancee.

Besides, by the end of the manga, Nodoka probably relieves Kasumi of half of the work, herself.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I've met Genma-equivalents before. Future Ranma would make Past Genma all the more determined to go to Jusenkyo. The real question is then, "what would Past Ranma do?"

If Genma wanted to still go to Jusenkyo it wouldn't matter what Ranma wanted or tried because Genma would just beat the crap out of him, drag him there, and possibly throw him into a spring just to show him how stupid he was. Until the cradle of hell Genma could do what ever he wanted, and Ranma had no choice in the matter.

Ranma being a more sane level headed person then Genma and most of the cast would likely at least head the warnings I would think.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:This is just something that came to mind and which I thought I'd ask. As we all know, the Nanniichuan at the failed wedding was lost because Happosai drank it, claiming he'd mistaken it for sake. This is a puzzler to a lot of people; after all, how do you mistake spring or mineral water (whichever Jusenkyo water is) for rice wine? Well, I was wondering: what if Happosai knew all along what the Nanniichuan was and drank it to deliberately ruin any chance Ranma may have had at getting cured, claiming he "mistook it for sake" as one of the ever-present feeble "cover my ass" lies?

mondu_the_fat wrote:If I saw a wooden keg being given as a gift in a wedding, I'd assume it contained something alchoholic rather than water. I would be surprised more to find out it was water than if it were sake.

I've met people who have drunk a glass of cooking oil and isopropyl alchohol, thinking it was water, and finished a liter of ORS, thinking it was orange juice. Take that to an extreme in a comedy series.

That's still a lot of water to drink without noting the proper smell and taste of alcohol.

It's believable he didn't go after the water with the intent of destroying a possible cure, and at the rate he was drinking most of the water would have been drunken before he realized it, but it's just as likely he wanted Ranma stuck with the curse.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:This is something I was just wondering after reading through a Ranma/Kasumi fanfic on FFN: is it canonical that Kasumi does all of the household chores? Or is it canonical that she merely does most of the household chores? I know that she usually shown taking care of such things, but I do know at least a few times off the top of my head where others have helped out (Nabiki: helps Kasumi clean up after dinner in the first ghost cat episode, brings in/takes out some laundry in Happosai's Happy Heart... Ranma: gets nails in preperation to fix the leaky roof in The Great Girly-Girl Gambit, shovels snow off the sidewalk in season 5).

Being the oldest sister she would have taken over most of her mother's household duties. How much she actually does is unknown since she spends most of her time off screen. The one thing she does do is cook, and It's safe to say Akane does not help with the cooking as she has never in canon cooked anything that was safe to eat.

Once Ranma shows up he likely does a lot of the cleaning as he is a compulsive cleaner.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Drawde2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 am

Zwzn wrote:The one thing she does do is cook, and It's safe to say Akane does not help with the cooking as she has never in canon cooked anything that was safe to eat.

Akane managed to cook a decent curry, without help or magic, at the beginning of the Ryugenzawa arc. In fact Ranma and the others refusing to try it, despite having tried it herself and found it decent, is what caused Akane to decide to go to Ryugenzawa on her own.
Drawde2
Senshi Candidate

Postby Zwzn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 am

Zwzn wrote:The one thing she does do is cook, and It's safe to say Akane does not help with the cooking as she has never in canon cooked anything that was safe to eat.
Drawde2 wrote:Akane managed to cook a decent curry, without help or magic, at the beginning of the Ryugenzawa arc. In fact Ranma and the others refusing to try it, despite having tried it herself and found it decent, is what caused Akane to decide to go to Ryugenzawa on her own.

The Curry was causing hallucinations, and black outs. It's the only thing that explains Akane's odd behavior while cooking and eating it. The stuff was like Kodachi's cooking. Tasty, but toxic.

Akane went to Ryugenzawa on her own because she is an inconsiderate ass who thinks she is far more capable then she is after receiving a call from there, or saw something on TV, maybe both.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 pm

One's dislike for Akane doesn't make blatant fantasies about what happened true. She made edible curry all by herself, without help of any kind, and that's that. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that hallucinations and black outs were involved.

Also, why Akane went to Ryugenzawa has nothing to do with the topic.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:One's dislike for Akane doesn't make blatant fantasies about what happened true. She made edible curry all by herself, without help of any kind, and that's that. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that hallucinations and black outs were involved.

Also, why Akane went to Ryugenzawa has nothing to do with the topic.

I don't dislike Akane any more then any other girl Ranma is engaged to. They are all monsters who should be put down like rabid animals for the good of all like many of the characters in Ranma1/2, but that is neither here nor there. :wink:

I just reread the part in question, and yes Akane is acting oddly doing things like starring off into space, and losing track of time and what's going on around her to the point of being surprised when her sisters walk in. You would be hard pressed at the very least to find another time Akane acted similarly. I blame the fumes from what she is cooking, and the huge serving of what she cooked.

On top of everything else she likely botched the curry since curry is a soup or stew, and what she made looks more like a pudding. Even if it was safe to eat she still botched the recipe. :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 pm

...You have a very weird interpretation of her behavior. There was nothing strange about her hesitation when she tested the curry, nor her shock when it came out edible. Furthermore, it's not strange for her to be surprised when she's in the middle of having an old memory coming to the surface, because the TV mentioned something familiar. (The sound from the TV could have also added to the reason for why she didn't notice her sisters sooner.) Though I'm not surprised, since you're actually mistaking the curry for pudding. There's nothing that illustrates that the curry has the consistency of pudding, either in the pot or on top of the large mound of rice. Seeing how it's level in the saucer that she uses for the taste-test, that means it came out fine.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby LurkingGrue » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Also, despite Akane's sort of out of it perspective while she is attempting to recall early childhood memories, the other characters very clearly state that it was perfectly okay.

However, I'm not comfortable saying that there were no special circumstances involved in it turning out like that. There were mentions that there was something wrong in the natural world, which is what caused the animals at the park (including the dragon thing) to start acting unusual. Since no explanation was given for Akane's decent cooking, the impression that I got was that the disturbance in the natural order (which is never explained as I recall) was what enabled her to make decent curry.

Or, alternatively, I kind of liked to think that maybe Akane making decent food was the great disturbance in the natural order which upset the animals (Because such a thing is impossible!), but that isn't stated or implied at all from my reading. It's just linking two inexplicable events into one inexplicable event, which is also kind of funny.

All this is about the first time she made decent food in the arc, she did it again later but it was revealed to be a product of the water she had used. This did not explain the first time back at the dojo though.

Also, on the topic of cuisine in general, curry and pudding are not mutually exclusive things. I have before had a recipe for a rice pudding with cardamom in it, which I would definitely be comfortable calling a "curry pudding". I remember it because it was the only time (that I know of) that I had that spice, and it made an impression on me.

Finally, I can relate to becoming frustrated with the characters in Ranma 1/2. After a while the lack of plot development can be frustrating, a short time after being introduced the characters just sort of become caricatures of themselves for the rest of the series (mostly). You just have to accept that the series is more about light hearted pun and just learn to love the absurdity rather than getting hung up about the way the characters are.
LurkingGrue
Initiate

Postby Zwzn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote: ...You have a very weird interpretation of her behavior. There was nothing strange about her hesitation when she tested the curry, nor her shock when it came out edible. Furthermore, it's not strange for her to be surprised when she's in the middle of having an old memory coming to the surface, because the TV mentioned something familiar. (The sound from the TV could have also added to the reason for why she didn't notice her sisters sooner.)

Starring off into space, and being surprised by people not trying to hide the fact they are there is odd for a highly skilled and some what paranoid martial artist like Akane, and yes she seems to me to be acting odd even before the TV show. Just starring off into space oblivious to what is going on around you is odd. I don't see why you are down playing Akane's skill as a martial artist.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote: Though I'm not surprised, since you're actually mistaking the curry for pudding. There's nothing that illustrates that the curry has the consistency of pudding, either in the pot or on top of the large mound of rice. Seeing how it's level in the saucer that she uses for the taste-test, that means it came out fine.
Akane's curry looks like it has a similar consistency as this with large peaces of vegetables in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chocolate_pudding.jpg
We are talking about Akane "I don't pay attention to what i put in my cooking" Tendo. It's sadly not outside the realm of possibility she literally added a package of instant pudding without realizing it

It could also just be the artist being lazy.

Either way it doesn't look right to me.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:20 am

LurkingGrue wrote:Also, despite Akane's sort of out of it perspective while she is attempting to recall early childhood memories, the other characters very clearly state that it was perfectly okay.

However, I'm not comfortable saying that there were no special circumstances involved in it turning out like that. There were mentions that there was something wrong in the natural world, which is what caused the animals at the park (including the dragon thing) to start acting unusual. Since no explanation was given for Akane's decent cooking, the impression that I got was that the disturbance in the natural order (which is never explained as I recall) was what enabled her to make decent curry.

Or, alternatively, I kind of liked to think that maybe Akane making decent food was the great disturbance in the natural order which upset the animals (Because such a thing is impossible!), but that isn't stated or implied at all from my reading. It's just linking two inexplicable events into one inexplicable event, which is also kind of funny.

All this is about the first time she made decent food in the arc, she did it again later but it was revealed to be a product of the water she had used. This did not explain the first time back at the dojo though.

Also, on the topic of cuisine in general, curry and pudding are not mutually exclusive things. I have before had a recipe for a rice pudding with cardamom in it, which I would definitely be comfortable calling a "curry pudding". I remember it because it was the only time (that I know of) that I had that spice, and it made an impression on me.

Finally, I can relate to becoming frustrated with the characters in Ranma 1/2. After a while the lack of plot development can be frustrating, a short time after being introduced the characters just sort of become caricatures of themselves for the rest of the series (mostly). You just have to accept that the series is more about light hearted pun and just learn to love the absurdity rather than getting hung up about the way the characters are.

Sadly for all we know she could have been using the healing water to cook the curry and not know given her track record with cooking.

I've never heard of curry pudding before.

I personally see a lot of growth in the characters myself.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma