Punishments

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:49 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: Zwn, what do you mean by "their disappointment might backfire on them"? I'm genuinely curious.

mondu_the_fat wrote: Wait, what?
Parents now have to worry their feeling of disappointment will backfire? Even if _does_ backfire (whatever that implies), Genma and Nodoka aren't machines whose feelings can be dictated. They want X badly, they don't get X, they'll feel bad about it. No two ways around that.

Zwzn wrote:You don't punish someone when they have done nothing wrong, and expect them just to take it, do you?

If Genma and Nodoka start punishing Ranma for say not marrying Akane, but take no action to fix the engagement problems Ranma may stop caring what they think, or even up and leave. Ranma for many reasons can't marry any of the girls he is engaged to as things stand, and the failed wedding is proof. You don't punish someone for doing the right thing on many levels.

So, what do you do when people are being jerks to you when you have done nothing wrong? You say "I'm out of here", even if you have no where else to go, and by the end of the manga Ranma could do just that.

It is not like Ranma does not know how people are suppose to behave. Ranma just seems not realize how out of line the people in his life are at times, and everone has a limit as to how much they can and will take.

Well, my parents never seemed very capable of being satisfied with me. And I sure didn't see them much after I got independent, even though we lived in reasonable (20 mile) proximity. As you sow, so shall you reap; I think that's the canonical quote. Oh, no snarling back and forth -- just distance. And no grandbabies. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to the Saotome and Tendo clans.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:39 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I just noticed something; nobody ever contradicted or disproved my comments on what Shampoo is likely to face if she fails to get Ranma. Were my thoughts that likely or is it simply that she's too unimportant to notice?

It's more that there's nothing in canon to point it out, one way or the other. Especially given that what exactly Cologne was doing in Jusenkyo with Shampoo is debatable.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:04 am

That's certainly true,Drawde.Though personally I despise that selfish barbarian.Shampoo is,in my opinion,way too arrogant and self-centered to make anybody a suitable wife.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby windstorm » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 pm

From what I understand about the loss of face Ranma, Ukyo or the Tendos might face is largely traditional and societal in nature. The personal and family concept of honour I think is a traditional teaching that they would learn both from their families and from their general surroundings. It is further enforced by the beliefs and traditions of Japanese society.

This belief, if strong enough, would mean that there is a perceived loss of honour and face if an agreement like an engagement is broken. Even if no one else knows about the broken deal there would be a perceived self loss of honour that would continue to exist within those whom the deal involved. If other people find out about it and have a similar traditionalist belief towards agreements like this then that is where they would loose face in society amongst peers, neighbours etc. It is simply just a result of a long held belief in the society that is ingrained into the culture string enough to cause a psychological effect of this nature.
What is the true purpose of life?

WASTING TIME!!
windstorm
Senshi Candidate

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma