Ranma's disguises

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma's disguises

Postby antimatterenergy » Mon May 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I was reading part of the manga earlier today and I thought of something. I've seen many people criticize Ranma's disguises and I don't really think they are that bad. For instance while pretending to be Ryoga's fiancee Ranma spent little time preparing but she did wear a dress, a wig, glasses, and speaking using feminine word choices. What more could she really have done except put on make-up and maybe contacts so she'd have a different eye color?
Now I'll admit that they could use some improvement but given how little time Ranma spent on them they do seem to be pretty good for the most part and they generally worked the way Ranma wanted them to. The only person who seemed to always be able to see through them was Akane which is very strange when you consider that she can't figure out Ryoga and P-chan are one and the same when she has been given many clues and knows the nature of Junsenkyo as well as anyone else in the series.
Of course if Ranma had bothered to spend more time thinking and planning he would have made better disguises or decided a disguise wasn't needed at all (ex. sneaking into girls locker room had he thought about it more he'd just wait until after school.)
Ranma also would make a good method actor. I was rereading the arc in which Ranma disguised himself as Ryoga sister and If I didn't know better I'd have said that Ranma was Ryoga's sister.
So what's your opinion of Ranma's disguises?
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby DCG » Mon May 29, 2006 11:31 pm

"What more could she really have done except put on make-up What more could she really have done except put on make-up What more could she really have done except put on make-up "
Oh? you never noticed?
Ranma's girl form has make-up on and its normaly nicely done.
Take a closer look at some pics of her from the anime.
Ever time he changes its there.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Khortez » Mon May 29, 2006 11:37 pm

Bah, obviously he had it on when he was a male. What makes that impressive is that it doesn't run when hit by water. Afterall, Ranma is very vain.
Khortez
Senshi Candidate

Postby ChasTaro » Tue May 30, 2006 3:40 am

DCG wrote
Ranma's girl form has make-up on and its normaly nicely done

Who'd of thought. The guide at the spings should have said. "Oh to bad Mr. customer you fall in spring of drowened girl wearing make-up." :lol:
If you live to seek revenge, dig a grave for two.
ChasTaro
Senshi Cadet

Postby Rei-chan » Tue May 30, 2006 10:11 am

Yes you can see the eyeliner and shadow. It is somewhat creepy that the curse comes complete with a makeover. I wonder why they never had him complain about that fact?
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Rei-chan wrote:Yes you can see the eyeliner and shadow. It is somewhat creepy that the curse comes complete with a makeover. I wonder why they never had him complain about that fact?

The eyeshadow and liner in the anime doesn't appear in the manga. Like the red hair (Takahashi usually used pink in the manga color pages, BTW), several aspects of the gender difference were highlighted and exagerated in the anime in order to make the change instantly recognizable to the audience.
-Togashi Gaijin-
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Kii » Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 pm

actually.. this brings up a question. if ranma is so bad at lying, then how come he was good at playing ryouga's sister?
or was the whole 'bad lyer' thing spawned from his 'bad pokerface'? :P
Kii
Senshi Cadet

Postby WG_Writer » Tue May 30, 2006 8:39 pm

to put it bluntly Ryoga is gulible and trusting, and nobody else cares enough to bother bringing it up. At least thats my perspective.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby DCG » Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 pm

or was the whole 'bad lyer' thing spawned from his 'bad pokerface'?

Yep, thats where the fannon started.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 pm

My theory as to why Ranma is a fairly good actor but bad liar is because Ranma seems to be a method actor and gets really into the role he's pretending so while pretending to be someone else he's not actually lying, he's just playing out the role he gave himself.
Also Ranma appears to be developing a poker face in later manga becuase he is shown playing cards at school with the other kids and was able to beat Hinako-sensei at cards. (Though I have no real proof they could just be really bad as well.)
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Jester_of_doom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:32 am

While my memory could be wrong I dont really think Ranma was ever questioned much while in a disguise. Lying by telling the story you thought up earlier is one thing. Lying about something when surprised by the question is another. Though really its like rare ranma lies outside of pretending to be someone else i think. He tends not to just be crass and say what he wants anyway.
Jester_of_doom
Senshi Candidate

Return to Specific Series: Ranma