A bleeding over?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

A bleeding over?

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Every once in a while, when Ranma becomes scared/surprised, he's shown to adopt a rather girlish stance. You know, by tucking his fists beneath his chin, and looking cute.

So, I was wondering... I can't recall other male characters doing it (except for Happosai; though I think he does it for a different affectation), so is there some bleeding over from how Ranma behaves as a girl?
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: A bleeding over?

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Every once in a while, when Ranma becomes scared/surprised, he's shown to adopt a rather girlish stance. You know, by tucking his fists beneath his chin, and looking cute.

So, I was wondering... I can't recall other male characters doing it (except for Happosai; though I think he does it for a different affectation), so is there some bleeding over from how Ranma behaves as a girl?

While it is indeed bleeding over, the cause is nearly exactly why Happosai does it.

Happosai does it in order to look "cute" and try to get his way. Ranma also does it (and a host of other "girly" mannerisms) in his female form, since he knows he _does_ look cute. Its a habit that just happens to cross over to his male form.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Ryoga acted rather girly each time he fell in love with Ranma or another girl or when he was sure to be rid of Ranma or cured.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Ryoga acted rather girly each time he fell in love with Ranma or another girl or when he was sure to be rid of Ranma or cured.

That's true. If anything, Ryoga could be even more girly than Ranma at some points in the anime. Look at his behavior in the love-predicting sakura-mochi story- there's one scene where he's actually wiggling with delight as he muses aloud on what petnames he and Akane might/will start calling each other.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Accursed anime! ;p

He doesn't look so girly in the manga. He's a pretty shy guy, overall (and emotional), but that in itself isn't really girly. He does skip for joy, though, for instance (while trying to hide his blushing cheeks); which I wouldn't think of as typically attributed to guys.

But he's just a goofball, anyway. ;p He's not really trying to act like a girl. And now that I remember them, Konatsu and Tsubasa are good examples of boys acting like girls. Especially Tsubasa. It's just funny when Ranma does something that he'd do as a girl when he's not a girl, or in drag.

But, damn it all to Hell if I can remember a single, exact instance when he did it. And I just read through the manga all over again recently. -_-
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 am

One of the reasons I couldnt stand the anime.

As for examples. He seems to do it often right before Ryoga is gonna globber em. Usually when he has pretended to be a girl and the secret is found out.

Im pretty sure he did it in the sister arc, he might have done when Ryoga found out Ranma made him P-chan. Your right there are a lot of examples its just hard to remember exact ones.

Mabye he does it in hope that Ryoga will have trouble hitting a girl.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 am

Mabye he does it in hope that Ryoga will have trouble hitting a girl

I'm pretty sure that IS the reason.

And I've seen Gosunkugi and Sasuke act girly too everytime something nice happened to them.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 pm

You know being bashful and humble are not purely Feminine traits. Not even in Animation.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma