Has anyone ever noticed...

Talk about the "fuku-fics" and other Gender Bender fiction here.
If there is a probable it can be posted here, but a definite fukufic should be PM'd to Sunshine Temple

Has anyone ever noticed...

Postby Ryosei » Fri May 25, 2007 9:31 am

In most fukufics in which Ranma represents some long lost fifth planet it is almost always called Nemisis. Why is that I wonder? And how come no one can come up with a better name?
Ryosei
Initiate

Postby lwf58 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am

Because Nemesis is canon.

Nemesis is the fictional tenth planet of the Solar System. It is described as a planet of "negative energy," having the ability to vanish from visual sight. Due to its negativity, it was claimed to be traceable by X-Rays. The Black Moon Family came from Nemesis.

The idea that Nemesis is the fifth planet that broke up to form the asteroid belt is fanon, but the name comes straight from Sailor Moon.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Ryosei » Fri May 25, 2007 10:21 am

That may be so, but Planet X (as it is typically called in real life) is generally thought to be past Pluto (which is a planet despite any technicality that those brains may think up). Last I checked the astroid belt was between Mars and Jupiter.

Kind of punches holes in fanon, doesn't it?
Ryosei
Initiate

Postby Neko- » Fri May 25, 2007 12:23 pm

If you want to punch holes in fanon, or even canon:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... lanet.html

As to Nemesis being the 5th planet and ending up as the asteroid belt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_belt

Yes... that holds true insofar canon is involved.

Planet X as it's called is never mentioned in the canon, and thus doesn't really play a role in the Sailor Moon Universe.

The fact that Planet X is as of yet still a myth, and the asteroid belt hints at there once being something between Mars and Jupiter means that sofar the Sailor Moon universe has held closer to reality then real life. And if they deem it worthy to call that supposed planet Nemesis, who are we to argue...
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby bneef » Fri May 25, 2007 12:41 pm

In regards to the name of Nemesis, as it applies to our solar system, it applies to two bodies. The first is a second star (thought to be a red dwarf or an extremely rare brown dwarf) that orbits our Sun at a distance of three light years. The second is a planet with a mass about that of Neptune, that is affecting the wobble of the sun and is beyond the orbit of Pluto.

According to Sumerian legends/myths, there is a large planet that orbits our sun perpendicular to the normal orbital planes, with an extreme solar year of 3000 years (compared to the roughly 298 years of Pluto.) It's name has been translated as Nemesis. Several, ancient, planetary models have our solar system with ten planets, with Pluto and Nemesis at extreme angles to the normal orbital plane.

Nemesis is the name used for these bodies since one, or more, are thought to dislodge comets from the Oort Cloud surrounding our solar system, sending them on potential collision courses with Earth, just as Shumaker-Levi 9 collided with Jupiter.

The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter has long been thought to be either a failed planet, or a planet the was destroyed by comets (or even rouge planets.) The distribution of asteroids is similar to the distribution of debris in Saturn's rings, i. e., relatively evenly distributed. The belt also occupies a spot for a reasonably sized planet. I don't remember what the mass was supposed to have been, though.

Planet X is used to refer to an unidentified planetary body. Pluto was Planet X, until its confirmed discovery and naming. Xena was the next Planet X, until its chance discovery and confirmation. The current Planet X is the one with the mass of Neptune and is now thought to be in the Kuiper Belt, where Pluto and Xena reside.
bneef
Senshi Candidate

Postby lwf58 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm

Neko- wrote:If you want to punch holes in fanon, or even canon:

Meh. I don't subscribe to that ruling, especially since it was a minority vote riddled with politics. Any celestial body that has three moons is a planet in my book. Just shows that internationally recognized astronomers can be just as stupid as anyone else.

I forget the exact figures, but IIRC, less than 30% of the astronomers who were society members were allowed to cast votes when that definition came up on the docket.

bneef wrote:The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter has long been thought to be either a failed planet, or a planet the was destroyed by comets (or even rouge planets.) The distribution of asteroids is similar to the distribution of debris in Saturn's rings, i. e., relatively evenly distributed. The belt also occupies a spot for a reasonably sized planet. I don't remember what the mass was supposed to have been, though.

The most common name for that supposed planet (it's been more or less proven that the asteroids were never a planet, just debris) is Minerva, I seem to recall.

bneef wrote:Planet X is used to refer to an unidentified planetary body. Pluto was Planet X, until its confirmed discovery and naming. Xena was the next Planet X, until its chance discovery and confirmation. The current Planet X is the one with the mass of Neptune and is now thought to be in the Kuiper Belt, where Pluto and Xena reside.

No one believes in a Planet X anymore. That theory was from before the information age, and since then, more precise measurements of planetary motion have blown that theory out of the water.
Last edited by lwf58 on Fri May 25, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Neko- » Fri May 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Meh. I don't subscribe to that ruling, especially since it was a minority vote riddled with politics. Any celestial body that has three moons is a planet in my book. Just shows that internationally recognized astronomers can be just as stupid as anyone else.

Same here, but to the official scientific reading, this means that either Pluto got demoted, or was removed from the scene all together since only planets could sustain a senshi.

So if you want to use science (Planet X being outside of Pluto, although unconfirmed), and apply it to the Sailor Moon universe, there are your plotholes.

The placement of Nemesis was actually thought out cleverly, aswell as the reason for it no longer being there but being recreated into an asteroid belt. It's a plausible explanation, and gives the opportunity of a shadowy planet to oppose the forces of the Senshi. It also makes it a lot more acceptable then dragging in some fictional planet which has no proof of it's existance at all, or even aliens...
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Fri May 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Same here, but to the official scientific reading, this means that either Pluto got demoted, or was removed from the scene all together since only planets could sustain a senshi.

Oh? What happen with Asteroid Senshi in SM manga? I mean... They just cease to exist? :)
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby EdenB » Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Climhazard wrote:Oh? What happen with Asteroid Senshi in SM manga? I mean... They just cease to exist? :)

Don't say that. PallaPalla might hear you and we know how scary she is. :lol:

As for why it's always Nemesis, it's partially the Nemesis being canon part and partially that people tend to go with what they've already read in other fanfics, such as Arashi Kazama being Yondaime's name in Naruto fics and Kimiko if I recall correctly for Mrs Tendo's name.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Sailer Ceres

Postby Sopchoppy » Fri May 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Just a thought, but how about a Sailor Ceres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

It was once considered a planet, has an astronomical symbol, and is 1/3 the total mass of the asteroid belt.

However, The whole mass of the asteroid (with Ceres) belt is just shy of 1/4 the mass of Pluto...so even if it ever was all in one piece, it wasn't really much of a celestial body.
Sopchoppy
Senshi Candidate

Re: Sailer Ceres

Postby lwf58 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Sopchoppy wrote:Just a thought, but how about a Sailor Ceres

She's a canon character in the series, along with Vesta, Pallas, and Juno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Ceres
lwf58
Site Master

Darn

Postby Sopchoppy » Fri May 25, 2007 11:26 pm

Darn,

I never read that far in the manga, or watched the show that far in. It seems a shame to waste such a good name as Sailor Ceres on the dead moon circus. Sailor Ceres should be a classy underpowered character, at least thats the image I had in my mind with that name.

Ah well, live and be disappointed ;)

Thanks for the link Larry F.
Sopchoppy
Senshi Candidate

Postby lwf58 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:40 am

Well, in the manga you are right. The four Asteroid Senshi are Chibiusa's future guard, the way Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are for Usagi. They are much better in the manga than they are in the anime, and at the end of their story arc, go back to sleep to wait for Chibiusa to need them. They reappear with her when she comes back through time to help Usagi fight against Galaxia.

In the anime they were never senshi, and at the end of the arc lose their powers and become normal people. That's rather lame, yes.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Neko- » Sat May 26, 2007 4:08 am

Oh? What happen with Asteroid Senshi in SM manga? I mean... They just cease to exist?

Meh!!! Still have the Manga on my 'need to read' list... I'm excused for not knowing that I suppose... That and it's been a few years since I watched Sailor Moon :P
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Sat May 26, 2007 5:40 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_symbols < Heres the astronomical symbols for just about everything in the solar system.

Though it doesn't have variant symbols.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fukufics & Gender Bender