Possible Firefox 3 bugs

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Possible Firefox 3 bugs

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:58 pm

I upgraded to firefox 3 and I noticed that for the "Temple" theme the post pages are confined to a small size.

It's like they're being cropped.

The window for entering text is this long:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm asking to see if anyone else has seen this problem, or alternatively has Firefox 3 and doesn't.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby lwf58 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:11 am

It's the entire composition page, not just the text input box. It's like the page is set to show the body at about 40% width.

Firefox / Netscape Navigator have always been more demanding of properly formed HTML than MSIE. Maybe the new version is catching something in our page code we never noticed before.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Sky » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 am

I'm seeing it in Firefox 3 on OS X Leopard.

A quick scan through the DOM Inspector makes me think this is a CSS issue, and the page passes the HTML validator.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Munchkin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 pm

I get it on FF3 under WinXP SP3.

I haven't noticed the problem on other phpBB forums though, either version 2 or 3, so it seems linked to this site somehow.

Looking at the generated sourcecode, the messagebox i'm typing in is defined using:

<td colspan="9"><span class="gen">
<textarea name="message" rows="15" cols="35" wrap="virtual" style="width:450px" tabindex="3" class="post" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);"></textarea>
</span></td>

I know little to nothing about CSS, but the "width:450px" strikes me as what's at fault, since the message box is displayed at exactly 450 pixels in width on my monitor.

Opening in FireFox 2 shows this width being ignored for some reason, so it's likely the problem always existed, but now FireFox 3 is better at doing what it's told, so the error is showing up.

No idea what would be generating this width though, but hopefully that'll help narrow it down.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Return to Site Suggestions