Rename the Western TV/Movies/Books forum

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Rename the Western TV/Movies/Books forum

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat May 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I was considering making a music-related post in Western TV/Movies/Books, but then I noticed that it doesn't officially cover music media. Then I got to thinking (is that even possible?), and I got it into my head that "Western" doesn't seem to be... accurate for what I'm assuming the purpose of the forum is (covering other media in general, outside of the ones of particular interest to this community). It'd probably be more accurate to say either "English" or "Other" or something, because I think of the genre that hosts cowboys and Indians when I think of "Western" in most cases. I mean, what about movies of Eastern origin (location, resources and language) that have been brought over and translated into English, for example?

So, I want to suggest something like "Other Media," which would cover every conceivable base not already supported by the other forums. I know it's under "Series Discussion," so music technically can't apply (even though bands can make a series of albums), but then, if you took "series" that seriously, stand-alone movies and books wouldn't apply, either. If "Western" needs to be attached to anything around here, I'd say "Western comics," if not "American comics," but that's not listed as a possible area of discussion for the forum, either.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Rename the Western TV/Movies/Books forum

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I didn't stop in there because the only Westerns I'd likely have anything to talk about on are Bonanza and Wild Wild West. If you want it to get off the cattle trail and be more expansive why not title it Non-Anime Media Discussion?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sat May 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Could be a good idea, I've tossed a link to the thread to Sunny. I think the current wording technically implies comic book stuff isn't accepted too, but I'd imagine it would be, practically speaking.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Vocaloid » Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 am

That brings up a interesting point, how many times has a fictional character or story been inspired by a song or bit of music. Using Black Rock Shooter for an example, it was originally written to be a song for Vocaloid type musicians to work with and soon after we have a story and a Anime inspired from it. So I don't see why, since music is a form of story telling/writing that we don't have such a subforum as well
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sun May 29, 2011 5:07 pm

If you're going to rename the forum, I would suggest changing it to "Western Media".
The term Western is used to denote 'western hemisphere' in this situation, encompassing Europe and the Americas as it's focus. Media allows any sort of communication medium for entertainment to be talked about, though there are forums where a specific type is focused: e.g. Games.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Western has also been a Genre since the dawn of the industrial Revolution. Which is why having it as a title makes it seem like to go in there I should probably be talking about Wagon Train, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, or more recent things like the Outlaw Josey Wales. Maybe discuss the finer points of Zane Gray.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I saw it the same way Konsaki did. Europe and America as the west, and Asia as the East. That's why my first topic was about Doctor Who a British Sci-fi.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun May 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I like Jackie Chan, but most of his movies are not "Western" films by any definition of the word. Translating something into English doesn't make it "Western."

Oh, I think I know how to put this. Using "Western" would be like only seeing "made in the U.S." on the products we buy.

Besides, aside from Britain, there's not much else from Europe you'd expect to be in English, which I think would be the real issue, not its place of origin. I think that, so long as the discussion is in English (even if the object is not), it should qualify as discussable.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Site Suggestions