Forum erroring upon making posts

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Forum erroring upon making posts

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:41 pm

Basically, as the topic states, it seems the forum is sometimes erroring upon hitting submit to finish posts... it is regrettibly intermittant or inconsistent.

At first I thought it was just me and I still intend on resetting my gateway to see if that has any affect, but Spork has also been having issues, both seem database related. You can see our brief discussion of it in my Video update thread. I also commented on it in my fanfiction update thread. It also occurred just now in the fights would like to see thread.

No clue if members other than myself and Spork are having issues.

3 times today alone it has gone wonky upon hitting the Submit button. I've had this occur a few times over the last couple weeks, but more like just a few times over that period, not multiple times in a day. What it does is a bit random...

1.Some of the time, it does what it always does, notes it is making the post, then returns you to the forum.

2. Two times today, it gives a generic 'Page cannot be displayed' error, and you have to manually hit the back button to get to the thread, to discover the post is not made.

3. One time today, it has given the same 'Page cannot be displayed' error as #2, but when hitting back button, takes you to the make post screen, and you can see you post has actually been made scrolling down to see prior entries, even if it did not correctly note it and return you to the forum.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, and IE 9... the forum is in the Classic theme mode for my username. I do not know what Spork is running or active theme.

Note, I have deleted my cache and history at least twice this weekend, as I clear it quite often depending upon what doing, but it has had no affect.

I'll reset my gateway sometime between now and Tuesday, but I doubt that will have any affect if multiple members are affected.

EDIT: Make that 3 times for #2, and 2 times for #3, it just did both on separate attempts to make this thread and post.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Forum erroring upon making posts

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:56 am

Hmmm... I have not experience this issue.

We'll see if this is repeatable and how many others are experiencing the error.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 am

Sunshine wrote:Hmmm... I have not experience this issue.

We'll see if this is repeatable and how many others are experiencing the error.

I do not know if it is realated, but there is one other inconsistency I've seen...

Sometimes I come to the forum, and see several sections where the new posts indicator is not grayed out, meaning new posts in that section... lets say I see 5 sections (as I do right before making this post now). So that in theory means there must be at least 5 new posts on the forum, sicne they are in different sections... But going to the view new posts only shows three I've not read...

This might be related to the 1 vs 7 post issue Spok mentioned in the one thread yesterday...

But it all seems to tie back to odd database issues.

EDIT: Forum just wacked out on this post as well for the Submit issue... post was made, but it stated page could not be displayed... back button showed it was present
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 am

Spok not Spork. Spork was someone else. Using Windows XP SP2 and Seamonkey 2.4 no change from 2.4.1 I just grabbed it before they remembered to put the .1 in the version release number. I'm looking at pages in prosilver because its easier on my eyes.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 am

Just had another Total Posts count jump. viewtopic.php?p=392146#p392146 This is the only new post since the last time I loaded the page. The count was 111888 It is now 111898

Edit: The total count changed again. Last time I was looking at the Index it was now showing the count at 111699. This is not normal behavior.
Last edited by Spokavriel on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 am

Spokavriel wrote: Spok not Spork. Spork was someone else. Using Windows XP SP2 and Seamonkey 2.4 no change from 2.4.1 I just grabbed it before they remembered to put the .1 in the version release number. I'm looking at pages in prosilver because its easier on my eyes.

Oops... it was late at night when I made the topic and was not thinking... I did call you by the right name in the one made earlier this morning though...

EDIT: and this post also was affected by the Submit button issue. This time it did not make it at all and had to redo it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:06 am

It appears it is now doing the count right from the 111699 shift. There have been the same amount of posts as the tally increase after that shift.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:53 am

Haven't really expirienced the issue myself...
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 am

I haven't had any issues over here, but I'm currently using my iPhone with 4.2.1os and safari mobile. I'll try to use the laptop later with ei9 and the air card...(4.2 safari won't recognize the portal to the Internet on he laptop for some reason)
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 am

As a FYI... just now the forum did the Submit button issue again even after a third clearout of temp and internet files and a reset of my gateway earlier in the day... Even manually cleared out my Temp directory in case something was missed.

EDIT: If still doing it in a couple more days, I'll try swiching to my backup browser Opera, and see if it is doing it under that...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 am

Hmm, haven't found that in chrome or firefox on my XP rig.

Most strange.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Vocaloid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am

I wonder if it isn't a security update issue from windows causing it, I know they had a update last week.
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 am

I really think the post count aspect is server side. Its hard for it to be local.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:37 am

Well... forum still randomly crashing on Submit posts, at least under IE. Just had it do so on one of two separate posts.

I'll switch to Opera for a week and see if does so under it. A minor pain, as I far prefer IE to other browsers, but Opera is tolerable at least, which is more than can say for Mozilla.

If not, will know it is confined to something in IE. If that is the case, will swap out systems and see if it my individual system or all my systems.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 pm

When you say Mozilla are you talking Firefox or all the browsers? Because I'm not seeing the same problems with Sea Monkey. Just the screwy post tally that hasn't had a problem for a few days.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Site Suggestions