How to play the "Guess That Anime" Game

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

How to play the "Guess That Anime" Game

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:13 am

Up until now, the rules for playing the "Guess That Anime" Game have been unspoken for the most part, although they exist. I thought it was time to write them down finally, so that new players didn't have to figure them out by observation.

If I've missed anything or there are any questions, feel free to post them in this topic.

1. General Play

The game is played by guessing the title of the animation based mainly on visual clues. These clues are normally uploaded to a free image server such as ImageShack or Photobucket. The person who guesses right then provides the next subject. Note that directly linking to an image on another web site is not okay. The image must be from a web site you own, or uploaded to an image server.

The game is open to anyone who wants to jump in and start guessing.

2. Playing the Game

One official guess is permitted in each post in the topic, although the titles of other shows may be mentioned as part of a train of thought. If several shows are mentioned, the official guess must be emphasized by some means, either by a statement that it's the real guess, or by some method such as using bold text for the title.

If the correct title of the subject is mentioned in a train of thought, but is not the official guess, it doesn't count.

If you do not have any ideas about what the title of the subject is, you may attempt to narrow the possibilities by guessing its genre, production studio, or release date instead.

3. Posting Subjects

When the subject is correctly identified, the person who did so posts the visual clue for the next subject. No one else is allowed to post clues, either visual or verbal. The person who guessed correctly may choose to pass the responsibility for the next subject on to a specific person or open it to anyone at all to post, at their discretion.

After the first clue, which must be visual, you may post either more visual clues, or you may post verbal clues instead, such as the decade the show was released, primary genre, or subject of the plot. It's your option.

If no one makes a guess within 24 hours of posting a clue, post another clue to bring the topic back onto the "posts since last visit" list. We don't want the game to be idle for more than a day at a time.

When you are the person posting a clue, you are expected to answer guesses with appropriate answers. You are not expected to make things easy, but if a person writes "this looks like it comes from the 1990s", you should give a yes or no, hot or cold type answer to help players narrow down the search. The same goes for guesses about genre, style, or any other attempt to zero in on the show.

It's okay to give unsolicited hints if you feel that it will help the game progress, but not be so obvious that it takes all the fun out of it. For example, if someone posts a guess naming a show that was released sometime around the same year as the subject, you may say so at your discretion.

4. Ending a Round

The round is not officially over until the person who posted the subject confirms that it has been guessed correctly. That means that if you play, be ready to keep a constant eye on the game after you have won a round and posted the next subject so that you don't delay it unnecessarily. Respond as promptly to guesses as you can manage. If you know that you won't be able to keep an eye on the game and respond promptly, then pass the turn to someone else.

5. Limitations

This game is limited to anime as the subject. For the purposes of this game, anime is defined as "Japanese made animation". This means that a Japanese production company must somehow be involved in the production of the animation.

For example, shows made and shown in Japan and shows created in other countries and shown in other countries but animated by a Japanese company are legal subjects.

Shows made in other countries and animated by native production companies are not permitted, even if they have expatriate Japanese animators on their staff.

If a show cannot be found in an anime database such as http://www.animenfo.com/ and http://anidb.net/, then it is recommended that you choose one that is. This is to give players a chance to find the subject by searching the databases.

The subject of the visual clue may be any form of Japanese-made animation. Movies, TV shows, Original Animation Videos (OAV), internet-only releases such as Flash animations, and animated music videos are all among the permitted clues.

If you have any doubts or questions about a potential clue or something else about the game, ask Larry F by PM.
Last edited by lwf58 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 am

Just a question about 4. What about Korean animation?

Stuff like Dae Jang Geum - Jang Geum`s Dream comes to mind, as well as Doggy Poo or Wonderful Days, or Mangchi.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:27 am

A question that has come up frequently is "how do I post a picture?"

The simplest way is to use Google or another search engine to find a picture from the series you want to use. The title of the series followed by the words image gallery is a good way to get results.

Once you've found an image, right-click it and save it to your computer's desktop. Never direct link to an image on another server! It's a form of theft, since you'd be using their bandwidth without going to the site, and bandwidth most often has to be paid for.

Then upload the picture to a free image server such as ImageShack. ImageShack in particular is good because when a picture is uploaded, they provide several links to it in the result page, customized for various types of display. All you need to do is copy and paste the line of code. For our purposes, the first link for web forums is the one to use.

Then it's just a matter of replying to the topic, and pasting the link code from the image server into the text box.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:36 am

Bliss wrote:Just a question about 4. What about Korean animation?

Stuff like Dae Jang Geum - Jang Geum`s Dream comes to mind, as well as Doggy Poo or Wonderful Days, or Mangchi.

Refer to rule 4. If the show has a Japanese connection, it's legal. If it doesn't, then it's not anime.

The fact that other Asian countries have been strongly influenced by Japanese comics and animation and tend to use their art styles is a can of worms better left unopened. Otherwise we'd be getting into shows that most anime fans would have never seen, and have no way of reasonably finding.

Yes, that's a reversal of a previous ruling, when I permitted Yeu Woo Bi (Cubby the Fox). But on further reflection, it's unreasonable to have people search for shows that they can't expect to find on, say, animenfo.com.

I checked. Cubby isn't there.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:54 am

Refer to rule 4. If the show has a Japanese connection, it's legal. If it doesn't, then it's not anime.

I guess then the question is, do "dubs" count. Since, for example, Wonderful Days was dubbed and released in Japan, while Doggy Poo was dubbed and released in the US.

Edit: I know that ANN and AniDB have entries for those anime, but I haven't checked AnimeNFO.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 am

Nope. I say again, to be "anime", it has to have a Japanese production connection. Just as the fact that movies like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator have been exported to Japan doesn't make them Japanese, Korean made shows like Wonderful Days having been licensed by a Japanese company for dubbing doesn't make it anime.

Naruto has been dubbed in English by a US company. Does that make it an American cartoon?
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:25 am

lwf58 wrote:Nope. I say again, to be "anime", it has to have a Japanese production connection. Just as the fact that movies like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator have been exported to Japan doesn't make them Japanese, Korean made shows like Wonderful Days having been licensed by a Japanese company for dubbing doesn't make it anime.

Naruto has been dubbed in English by a US company. Does that make it an American cartoon?

*shrugs* I guess you've got a point. I was just thinking about what sort of a connection we're talking about. Since I figured if it was Japanese distributors that got the rights to produce the Korean animation it'd count.

Sort of like a reverse of Interstellar 555 which was animated by a Japanese studio but distributed by a foreign company.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:28 am

But then there are shows that get so mangled allot of the original content is gone like Go-Lion/Voltron I consider Voltron to be allot more of an american blunder because of how much they mutilated allot of the episodes.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:36 am

Blossom-chan wrote: But then there are shows that get so mangled allot of the original content is gone like Go-Lion/Voltron I consider Voltron to be allot more of an american blunder because of how much they mutilated allot of the episodes.

I suppose the distribution company question comes into play when talking about independent films and releases. For example Toei Animation distributes My Beautiful Girl Mari but it's made by a Korean animation studio.

Or stuff like Web releases where you assume it's Japanese because of the language... because it's done by somebody called Emperor Kid or something like that.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 am

Bliss wrote:Sort of like a reverse of Interstellar 555 which was animated by a Japanese studio but distributed by a foreign company.

That would be a legal clue. It was animated by a Japanese company, and is therefor "anime".

To refine, the show must be created by a Japanese person, produced by a Japanese company, or animated by a Japanese company. A show that is created and produced by a Japanese company but animated in Korea would be valid. The key there is that it was a Japanese creation, even if they didn't do the grunt work.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:45 pm

Just for further clarification what about Dungeons and Dragons the Animated series. It was made by an American company even though ink and paint was out sourced to Japan I still consider it an american cartoon but on top of where the work was done it is now owned and distributed by Saban. What would your call be on it?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:17 pm

or animated by a Japanese company

The current crop of JLA, Batman, Superman series, the older D&D animated series... they all have a Japanese production link. They are valid. Just silly, because no one would take more than a minute or two to guess 'em.

Now, please cease and desist asking any more questions in this vein! I made the point quite clear already. It's anime if it was animated or produced by a Japanese company, no matter who did the gruntwork, who distributed it, or who owns it. If they didn't make it, it isn't anime. Dubbing or subtitling doesn't count.

Any other questions are still welcome, but this is getting way too repetitive.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:42 pm

One last question about 5. Are OELs (Original English Language) allowed as long as it follows rule 4? And what about serial/episodic Flash movies like Project ICE?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Bliss wrote:One last question about 5. Are OELs (Original English Language) allowed as long as it follows rule 4? And what about serial/episodic Flash movies like Project ICE?

A. Refer to my last post.
The current crop of JLA, Batman, Superman series, the older D&D animated series... they all have a Japanese production link.
All are OEL.

B.
The subject of the visual clue may be any form of Japanese-made animation. Movies, TV shows, Original Animation Videos (OAV), internet-only releases, and music videos are all among the permitted clues.
lwf58
Site Master

Return to Other Talk