PC gut and restore.

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

PC gut and restore.

Postby DCG » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Nya~ Hi every body!

I need some advice on a new MB cheep set combo. I see to be a few cores behind the current trend.. like all of them.

And does any know if win7 would work with the new install, or do i have to do a full reinstall?
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Re: PC gut and restore.

Postby frice2000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm

If you replace your motherboard Windows will possibly boot, may fail, may not, and most assuredly will invalidate your activation. I've seen it work at points and be reactivate able (with begging to Microsoft over the phone) but that will likely happen. If you do install a new board, yeah do a clean install it's safer, and you may be forced into it anyway.

Other then that not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for advice in picking something out? I'd go with an i7 board (likely Asus) and CPU as they're on the way out and are dropping crazily in price. I only trust Intel CPU's. I am not a fan of AMD hardware I have a run of bad luck with all their silicon.
Last edited by frice2000 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:14 am

I think Toms hardware is still running benchmarks on all the latest tech. Find the processor you are interested in first and then look through their benchmarks and use another browser tab to look up current prices on the boards. Pick out the most reliable one you can find in your price range that has either what you want on board or space for the cards needed to add it in.

New Egg remains probably the best place to actually order the parts from. Good luck
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 pm

DCG wrote:Nya~ Hi every body!

I need some advice on a new MB cheep set combo. I see to be a few cores behind the current trend.. like all of them.

And does any know if win7 would work with the new install, or do i have to do a full reinstall?

Did you purchase Windows 7 seperately or did it come already installed/bundled on your computer? If it was seperate then it shouldn't be a problem but if you're reinstalling it from a backup then it might not work as the backup/install disk may be set to look for your computer's present chipset and, therefore, may not allow you to reinstall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm

as someone who did Windows support for win XP I have advise if activations gives you any trouble should you choose not to do a clean install. If you are using a retail version of windows and not an OEM (like del, hp, gateway) version (meaning a preinstalled version) call in to tech support and act dumb. say you replaced your MB after lightning fried it or some such and the auto activate isn't working. Provided they have not changed policies in the last few years they will probably call activations and do a 3 way to get it activated. This works especially well if you have not clean installed yet and are getting boot errors. Usually they will walk you through a clean install at that point anyway.

Your choice if you do that.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby DCG » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Nya~ gah..

well good news and bad news it seems. yes i have my own win7 disk. I was just hoping i wouldn't have to spend a week regetting every game and program i own.

ahh well
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Actually to avoid having to re-install on Games and Programs I have in the past put a new drive into my system and done the clean install onto that one. Making it the Windows/Master partition as it were and then just getting the game's icons to point to the current location still on the old drive instead of doing full reinstalls.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk