Light: Regretfull, eventualy asks for forgiveness
No votes
Light: Regretfull, eventualy asks for forgiveness
No votes
Grey: Corupted by the dark side but not a lost cause
14%
Grey: Corupted by the dark side but not a lost cause
14%
Dark: Panda Fambie (Via Force Lightning)
2%
Dark: Panda Fambie (Via Force Lightning)
2%
Light: Corupted by the dark side, but is scared back sane
No votes
Light: Corupted by the dark side, but is scared back sane
No votes
Grey: Chased around Tokyo by 2 pi$$ed Jedi Masters
7%
Grey: Chased around Tokyo by 2 pi$$ed Jedi Masters
7%
Other: Please Explain
4%
Other: Please Explain
4%

Total votes : 56

Fate of Genma

Postby Lenneth » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:36 am

Trying to decide how to depict Genma in one of my fics. Fanfiction.net Fic Link
this has been giving me a case of writers block for some time now and I need some help.
Lenneth
Senshi Cadet

Postby lwf58 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:27 am

You're trying to turn a complex character into something two-dimensional. Canon Genma isn't evil, but he's weak when it comes to sticking to his morals. He cares about his son, but subjects him to harsh training. He is often regretful of his past actions, but rarely thinks before doing wrong again.
Keep in mind that Ranma learned his sense of honor and morality from Genma. He just holds to it better. He accepts that his father isn't ever going to be a candidate for sainthood, and is content just to beat him up about it every so often, either verbally or physically. Ranma has far too many flaws of his own to be overly critical of flaws in other people.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Materia-Blade » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:45 pm

I agree completely there, lwf58.
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Postby Anime_Freak317 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Dark Grey: Abusive, neglective, selfish, worthless (other than Martial Arts), greedy (see manga for when he tried to sell some precious heirlooms of the Saotome Family, cowardly (runs at the first sign of being in over his head), lazy (such is the fate of his curse), gluttonist (starving his child before himself).
Overall, the only art I see of Genma is the artful form of ABUSE!!! :evil: :x :evil:
JoT is on hold..again. Legal issues and work modes have been incresingly harsh. Chapter is 25% done. Sorry.
Tear of the Lone Wolf P( :cry:
Anime_Freak317
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Lenneth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:29 am

Hm, How about a Genma that is portrayed 50/50 of what lwf58 & Anime_Freak317 posted with a bit of "Misguided fool who dosnt know any better" and a touch of "Corupted by the dark side but not a lost cause"?
Lenneth
Senshi Cadet

Postby ranger5 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Depends on how you precieve Genma. I'd say at LEAST Gray & corrupted by the dark side. He did steal a child from his parents. Definately a selfish act ... even if you argue it was out of fear of Nodoka ... even then you'll have to show how she lost her child. Or perhaps make her a willing conspirator (one or both being sterile).
Combine that with the training trip and the pressure the seppuku contract puts on Ranma....
Might even lean toward completely dark. It all depends on the setup.
ranger5
"It's better to hit with a .22 than miss with a .45."
ranger5
Senshi Cadet

Postby Anchoku » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:35 pm

I lean toward Genma being a well-meaning idiot with moments of awe-inspiring stupidity and thoughtlessness. One of my favorite Genma-scenes in the anime is where he explains to Ranma how he once had to break up with an old girlfriend because he'd found someone who was better looking, came from a wealthier family and was also a better cook. Of course, after he'd explained all this to her, she wanted to break up, too.
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Return to Polls