Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 29

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 29

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:44 pm

I post this one so soon because it was sitting completed since two and a half years ago, translated since a year ago. I just had to dust it off, correct some gnarled English and a couple important but small plot points.

http://ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_destin ... a29e.shtml

Note that the warning at the end is for the official releases on FFnet and at my website. I will keep posting chapters here as they are ready, I'll just withhold them from publishing officially until I complete the Russian original.

Arc Four consists of 10 chapters, of which 2 are completed and translated (in fact, I may be posting Chaper 30 soon but it's nothing more than a fancy filler, as well as 31), 3 are simply completed, 3 more are halfway there and 2 exist as mere key scene lists. As always, the incomplete part makes the middle of the arc, with the beginning and the end practically finished :roll:

And here I wanted to finish the fic before December 2012 in case the end of the world really happens :roll:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 29

Postby OSMQEP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 am

I'll be looking into it soon. Dunno when I'll hit Orphus.
-Real Life has eaten my brain, but I shall return.
OSMQEP
Senshi Cadet

Postby OSMQEP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

I couldn't find much to Orphus.

Two thoughts. One, the liver might've given the monsterrabbit some level of system access.

Two, Narcosis is a new word for me. I've been learning new words in general from this story. Anyway, in a medical context I usually see the word anesthesia being used.
-Real Life has eaten my brain, but I shall return.
OSMQEP
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cheb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:29 am

Anyway, in a medical context I usually see the word anesthesia

[a dramatic facepalm] :oops:

Page URL: http://ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_destin ... a29e.shtml
User comment:
Is this sign of something really wrong with the system, or a
typo?
Context:
access level is required, but your current access level is
<!!!>Ahs-Asch.<!!!>” She boggled, uncomprehending, then
blink-blinked
Browser: 0

No, it's just that screwed up. In fact it's a bit like the difference between "SYSTEM" and "Administrator" accounts in Windows, but not exactly.

One, the liver might've given the monsterrabbit some level of system access.

Most likely it's too diluted for that. Ranma and Co got theirs with reduction of 4-levels, while their level 7 is really the lowest. It'll just fizzle out in the bunny.
Though the thought is hilarious, I didn't think of that.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Heh, I like how happy Ranma got at the idea of necromancy.

Nice bit of humanity on Ranma doing the cleaning of Akane's "bits".

Why didn't Brya clone Akane? Or does that not work on the undead?

Ranma's attempt to distract and cheer up Akane is morbidly adorable: “Everything will be all right! Brya's so good at it, he'll fix you in a zip!” She smiled, showing confidence that was a bit strained and unnatural.

Okay, I laughed out loud at the liver snack bit. (I think that says more about me though)

Hmmm... Ranma's hair going silver makes me wonder if she's the duplicate.

And Brya's reaction to the portal overload is strangely adorable.

Awww was hoping for more of a "mad scientist" conversation between Brya and Ami.

Overall fun chapter.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Cheb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Why didn't Brya clone Akane?

Ahs is a dumb machine. The "cloning" in fact dumbly copy-pastes a chunk of spacetime, creating a really perfect clone of a person unless some measures are taken. Excluding some areas in the brain is easy (specific molecules in a specific volume), as Brya did to avoid creating a second sentient Ranma. More complex manipulations are out, there is no frame of reference to create formulas nor interface for it.
So all he would achieve would be two identical Akanes cut in half.

Ranma's hair going silver makes me wonder if she's the duplicate.

Were she a a proper unaltered duplicate, there would be no way to tell who is who. It copies basically atom by atom. They'd probably share the same soul, but going by Rumiko Takahashi, two people sharing the same soul could coexist just fine (see Kagome/Kikyo)
No, it's a known fact that even children had their hair turning gray during WW2 due to unimaginable grief and mental trauma.
Ranma is much sturdier mentally, yes, but the effect multiplied by the factor of a runaway Shishi Hokou Dan.
Basically, he channeled so much grief it should have left him scarred for life, a broken wreck. But all it did was leaving some trauma plus damaging his hair.

P.S. I think maybe I should make it white or gray, not silvery-gray. This would be less ambiguous. Kind of like Lina Inverse when she overexerted herself.

Awww was hoping for more of a "mad scientist" conversation between Brya and Ami.

Alas. I didn't want to bloat it even more, but in the next world the pinky would be met with as much friendliness and tolerance as a Nazi in Israel.
Don't worry, I plan much mad science and similar fun for her... In the sequel.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Cheb wrote:Basically, he channeled so much grief it should have left him scarred for life, a broken wreck. But all it did was leaving some trauma plus damaging his hair.

P.S. I think maybe I should make it white or gray, not silvery-gray. This would be less ambiguous. Kind of like Lina Inverse when she overexerted herself.

Mental trauma changing the pigment of hair isn't physical damage though. So why would Ranma think it would change back by being healed as a senshi? It's a change in melanin content, not being cut, being too dry, split ends. Which is also really not 'damage' unless they are stuck turning into one version of themselves and hair length is set.

Some kind of lasting physical change from all of this would certainly increase the importance of everything in your all important sequel.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:22 am

Ah, but I postulated earlier that the Senshi transformation heals mental trauma too. It got Ami scared she' could lose herself to mind-altering.

Besides, Ranma doesn't know that.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 am

Cheb wrote:Ah, but I postulated earlier that the Senshi transformation heals mental trauma too. It got Ami scared she' could lose herself to mind-altering.

Besides, Ranma doesn't know that.

That doesn't really sound like healing, just removing or deadening the impact of a stressful memory. And Ranma's mental state isn't continuing to make her hair white, it's a one and done thing to change the melanin content.

It'd be much more worrying to have them always being reset to a default. Can't change hair length, can't get taller, can't get older. Stuck forever in the horror that is being a teenager!
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:13 pm

If anyone had problems connecting... The server stopped working today, its RAID degrading as one of the hard disks reported itself as 600-petabyte <ERROR>, S.M.A.R.T. status green, last updated 1023 hours ago.

I tried to reboot it, it didn't boot at all :shock: .

I found that it succumbed to this:

[whimper] Please, oh please, not dust again! :cry:
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 pm

That's been dusted for a while. Need some air filters over the intake fans. Could probably use a larger case, everything looks pretty well crammed in there. If the motherboard plate supports it, try running as many as the cables behind it as you can. My case has holes cut in it so they can all be run behind and keep everything open, allowing better air flow.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:28 pm

The problem is, I never found time to stop and clean it in more than two years. :oops:

It was sitting under my table and running non-stop since autumn 2011.

I *do* have a case with an air filter, made exactly for server purposes. The problem is, after an upgrade the seven hard drives this beast runs could never fit it :( In summer when it's hot, a mighty fan wakes up to all its roaring might. I don't think a filter would allow enough air in. Or hold without being sucked in like a sock into a vacuum cleaner. :roll:

P.S. It may look crammed because the fan on the second photo is a 140-millimeter, 35 mm thick monstrosity. Everything looks smaller next to it.

P.P.S. A centimeter taller and the case would not fit in my custom-made shelf under the table. It could fit up to 4 PCs side-to-side, but they cannot be taller than some 43 centimeters
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Stories and C&C