Ice Squared - Revision

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Ice Squared - Revision

Postby Lerris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 am

----chapter 14---

Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Lost Universe, Stargate, or Ah My Goddess. This is a non-profit work of fanfiction meant only for entertainment.
Ice Squared
by Lerris Smith

-«Storm Breaking»-

Nodoka Saotome was annoyed. Everything had fallen apart. Well that was not entirely true either. It was more like everyone had left, and not even the part time panda was around anymore. The Tendo Dojo was completely vacant and locked, although she did have the spare key Kasumi had given her long ago. When she got a hold of that excuse for an endangered species she fully intended to make sure he understood how displeased she was at being left behind without even a note, again.

-«oOo»-

“Will you not reconsider Father?”, asked the beautiful young woman with the odd tattoos that bore a remarkable resemblance to Kasumi.

“No daughter. A parent must know when it is time for the child to leave the nest.”

Belldandy thought it odd that he seemed to emphase that particular remark. She said, “But they are so young. They try so very hard.”

The graying haired man said, “Have faith daughter. Do not worry overly much of Yggdrasil’s prediction. Skuld puts too much faith in computers and not enough in people.”

“Yes, Father.” With that Belldandy bowed as she prepared to leave. No matter how much she respected her father, she could not bring herself to like her father’s decision. Sadly the decision was made. No help would come from any member of heaven, by command of the Father.

Of course, Keiichi was on Earth. Her resolve almost slipped as that thought crept into her mind but she thought she managed to avoid letting any of it show. As Belldandy was walking out she turned and asked, “And if they fail?”

Kami-sama smiled a friendly smile as he said, “Then we will begin again.” Belldandy gave a small tightly controlled nod as she tried and failed to keep her composure. A few seconds later Kami-sama walked over the short distance and pulled his daughter into his arms and said, “Have faith. All will be well and soon she will return.”

Tears in her eyes, Belldandy looked in her father’s eyes as understanding dawned on her. She had been gone so long and no one save Kami-sama knew where. Now she was going to return. She let the tears of happiness fall for several more minutes as she enjoyed the time with her father. As she was about to leave her father said one final thing, “Daughter, remember what the newest protectors carry and who ran the analysis.”

Belldandy looked at her father in confusion before a small smile crept onto her face. Yggdrasil could simulate anything, but security only allowed the simulations to use data the user was authorized to access. Skuld’s simulation was incomplete. With a lighter heart Belldandy walked through the door. Things were far from certain, but all hope was far from lost.

-«oOo»-

Rodney McKay and Makoto Kino walked along a beach off the northern coast of Japan. Makoto had regretfully known that she would have to drop her transformation, lest they not be able to go through an airport without drawing a great deal of attention, but Rodney had insured her that all the major intelligence agencies already knew who they were and that the Japanese and American governments would continue to protect their identities from wider knowledge.

A plain clothes navy seal came up to them and said, “This way. We have your supplies. We have already located the package.”

Before long they had boarded a surprisingly well equipped speed boat and were heading out. One hour later they were inside the small shuttle and busy drying themselves. Sadly Canal had not reprogrammed any of the controls for English, which made it very difficult to figure out how to properly refuel the system. Rodney’s written Japanese was barely existent and his spoken was only from the long ago college course. It was certainly not up to any kind of technical conversation. Thankfully the seal team commander who introduced herself as Sarah Smith had fluency in both languages. Likely false name aside, they got to work.

-«oOo»-

Dalan Thomas, the pilot of the gray ship in question and resident wizard with military technology said, “We are above the only inhabitable planet in the system. We believe they come from here.” They were the last of the force sent to investigate, and if possible take over any useful planets in this system in the name of the Empire. Who could believe that they would find a gem like the outermost planet. It was a hollow world tailor made for colonization. They had of course attempted to take it over immediately, but had somehow failed. He still was not sure exactly how it all had gone wrong. They were ill equipped and falling behind the first group in their old captured ship. This was supposed to be a low priority low risk task, hence the rag tag group. It was only the fact that they were late to the party that allowed them to survive at all.

They had traversed a smooth parabolic course to the third planet of what they presumed was their home system. Their course was actually slightly faster than a purely direct course due to taking advantage of the different planetary and stellar bodies gravity so they may have made it there before their enemy, but who could say given what their enemy did?

Captain Panar said, “Good, now the question is what do we do about it?”

A young woman sitting at a station said, “I should think that was obvious. We eliminate the threat to the Empire.”

Captain Panar sighed. Janet was always a bit too eager, mostly believing that the right form of science based offensive weaponry could solve any problem. Panar replied, “But how do we eliminate the threat? We are only one ship after all.”

Janet replied, “Sir, initial sensor scans seem to indicate a technologically inferior civilization. No evidence of modern drive or energy systems is detected.”

Panar said, “Interesting.”

A middle aged, yet still quite beautiful blonde haired woman said, “There is something else. There is a magical construct tied into the planet. It is some kind of biosphere regulation matrix. It is very old, though so far I can’t give you an exact age. I think it may already be weakened and I bet no one from here even notices it.”

Panar glanced at his ships engineer. She had always been exceptional, especially at large magical constructs. Now if only she would once again give him a chance. She had given him the cold shoulder for months since she caught him having dinner in a public restaurant with Janet. It meant nothing. Janet was interested in the ship’s pilot anyway, but no, she wouldn’t listen. Still, now was not the time for such thoughts. He said, “Why would they not notice it, if it is their planet?”

Clara seemed amused by the question, or was it just because she was always amused with him? He didn’t know. She said, “Do you notice the hum of the drive system?”

“Well no, but I just sort of tuned it out a long time ago.”

“Exactly. Only high adept magic users would ever notice it in the first place, and since they have felt it their entire lives they would be unlikely to pay attention it. I hardly think they would have ignored its current state had they known.”

The captain said dryly, “I don’t suppose you can point to a single location that I can blow up, and call it mission accomplished?”

“Why yes, I do believe I can,” said the blond in a mischievous tone.

“Your serious?” inquired a stunned captain.

“Well, I can’t be certain until we get closer, but heading to the planet’s north pole would be a good start. We are going to have to map some of the planet’s magic flows to determine the critical points, but there is at least one node there.”

“And hope we are not detected and destroyed beforehand. Well, what do we have to lose? With the apparent destruction of the gate, it is either surrender or finish our mission, and I value my family too much to surrender.”

-«oOo»-

Rodney glanced back at the airlock. Somebody was in there. He waited patiently until the door was open and said, “Yes?” to the navy seal that entered.

The seal ignored him and turned to Sara. She said, “Report!”

“NORAD has identified what we suspect is a stray from the incident on Pluto. They are headed for the north polar region. F-302s and F-22s are in route. You are ordered to assist if you are able.”

Sarah said, “Your leaving something out, perhaps because of our friend here. Out with it. She needs to know what is coming if she is to help.”

“Ma’am, the president has authorized the use of the new naquada enhanced ship to ship nuclear missiles. You were suggested in the hopes that”

He was interrupted by Makoto who said, “In the name of Jupiter, there is no way I’m going to allow you nuke the world again, not if I can help it. The shuttle’s weapon is ready. I think I can fire it, but I’m still not sure how often or how effective it will be.”

“There is no time like the present to find out,” mused Sara. “Very well, as we just finished fueling we will depart at once. Make sure they know we are coming. I’d hate to be shot down by the good guys.”

He saluted and said. “Godspeed commander. We will be rooting for you.”

“To you as well.”

-«oOo»-

On board Swordbreaker, Canal sat on the bed in her little room holding the picture of her last captain as she simultaneously mentally examined the latest report from the service robots that were building the special leap rail gun shells. They were nearly complete and would be finished in time. A grim smile appeared on her face as she sat the picture down and vanished only to reappear in Nabiki’s room.

She walked over to the sleeping form of her unexpected co-captain and said softly, “It’s almost time. You have about half an hour to fully wake up and be ready.”

Nabiki turned to silently look at Canal as the meaning of her words registered through her sleep fogged brain before she began to sit up in the bed. She yawned tiredly before managing to get out a tired, “I’ll be right there.”

Canal nodded before exiting through the door. After the door was closed she reappeared just in front of the bridge door and entered. As she walked into the bridge the remaining crew members looked at her with curiosity and anticipation.

Usagi asked, “It is time, isn’t it?”

Canal said, “A half hour remains. Nabiki will be here soon. I suggest getting ready.”

Dr. Mizuno got up and exited the room. A few minutes passed before her transformed daughter walked through the door, fighting back a yawn. Haruka and Setsuna left to transform. The Senshi had dropped their transformations earlier when Jack admitted he had received the intelligence with their true names and histories. Now as the time for a fight drew near, they were transforming once more for whatever edge it might provide.

Mercury quickly sat down in the copilot’s seat and said, “I’m ready.”

Usagi frowned briefly at the obvious lie, before giving her a look of concern and quietly following Haruka to transform.

Mercury gave her a wry look but just said to those remaining, “I’ll be ready alright?”

Jack asked, “I don’t suppose anyone is going to explain to me why she is so tired and the others are not?” Silence met his words. “Anyone?” More silence. “Well if there is anything we can do...”

Usagi, Pluto, and Haruka returned transformed.

Canal said, “You can do your best flying. That will help. I have linked our ships systems so we can move as one, but the additional mass, even with Prometheus’s engines will cut Swordbreaker’s maneuverability substantially.”

“Yah, I kinda guessed that bit.” said Jack dryly.

Pluto said to Canal, “I’m sorry Canal, but we really can’t go into a potential battle without them knowing a little more than that.” She reluctantly nodded.

Pluto turned to Jack and Teal’c. She said, “Canal is right. Jack’s job is vital. You should also know that Mercury’s condition, should we fight may get much worse, though we will do all we can to prevent it. The important thing if that occurs is to focus on your own jobs and finish the battle or get away as soon as possible. In the event things get bad we may have to use certain special weapons. You can consider them of the highest classification.”

“These must be the weapons you mentioned earlier that could destroy planets,” said Teal’c.

Jack said, “And have you, you know, destroyed any planets?”

Canal’s voice was devoid of emotion as she quietly replied, “In my battles to stop the madness and deaths caused by my brothers and sisters I have destroyed seven worlds, one of which was inhabited.”

Her voice grew sorrowful and laced with regret. “It was too late by then. Our battle, despite my captain and my own best efforts, had unleashed forces that would soon have consumed it anyway, but it was my weapons that killed them. The others had killed so many, and we were barely alive ourselves. I don’t even know when he set it up.”

Canal was crying openly now. “The brave fool had built what I had expressly forbidden him to build and activated it, forcing me to consume his life in one final strike of vengeance. I have killed so many good people and lived so long, and now my newest captain; my newest mistake is lost along with the others and even half of myself.”

A stoic Teal’c said, “You did the right thing. I am certain of it.”

Jack said, “Look. I have been there. I’ve made mistakes and a lot of good people have died. Worse, I have had to do things that I know killed good people and sometimes the information those decisions were based on turned out wrong. It is a horrible burden, but you can’t just give up and quit. I’ve tried that. It doesn’t work!”

Canal solidified enough to grab hold of his shirt and pull him to her. She shouted , “Have you personally been the one to seize the lifeforce of one you loved more than life itself and crush it, just so you could accomplish the mission? Have you?”

The others took a cautious step back. While held up by a girl a third shorter than him, Jack said carefully , “I am a soldier. I keep weapons where I live, because with my job you never know when they will be needed. My son killed himself with one of my weapons. I might as well have killed him myself.” His voice was filled with pain towards the end as he struggled to get the words out.

She shook him vigorously and shouted, “You know nothing! I am one of those weapons! I may not have pulled the trigger, but I was the one who killed them! I was the one...” Her voice broke up in pain as she started sobbing before dropping Jack. Mercury enfolded the soul of the ship in her arms and held tight, hoping that for once she could be an anchor that so many other people had been for her.

Jack said, “I’m truly sorry, but you guys gotta know that Earth’s odds against the Goa’uld are not good. Frankly if we don’t improve our offensive ability and do so fairly quickly, the odds are not good. They very much want the Earth destroyed and they have the capability to do it. Sure, my team in particular has killed several of them, but we have been lucky so far. I don’t know what we are going to do if the Goa’uld ever get serious, other than hope the Asgard can help in time.”

Sailor Moon looked on with concern for several seconds and then her expression changed to one of determination. Her outfit shifted to the white moon princess gown complete with diadem and then shifted again to a far more elegant ensemble, seemingly of every shade of white in existence and topped with a very elegant, yet fragile seeming crown.

Sailor Pluto immediately bowed then rose and proclaimed, “Queen Serenity is dead! Long live Queen Serenity!”

Uranus and Mercury immediately bowed as well, and they remain bowed until the queen motioned for them to rise. Pluto asked, “How may we serve your majesty?”

“There is one before the crown awaiting judgment. The charge is the death of every man woman and child on a life bearing world. If found guilty the punishment is death. The evidence has been presented. I know you have all seen and read the same files I have and know the unvarnished truth. What say you?”

Mercury pleaded quietly with her eyes, while still holding Canal. Serenity’s eyes remained firm and unchanging. Canal looked at the new queen with a desperate hope and longing, yet remained held in her co-captain’s arms.

Jack said dryly, “Now is not the time.”

Serenity’s focus swiveled to Jack who seemed to shrink under it. She said, “Your opinion has been noted.”

Pluto said, “Your majesty, I vote not guilty by reason of extenuating circumstances. While her actions led to the deaths on record, they would have occurred either way.”

In a dangerous tone Serenity asked quietly, “And you would have that as an excuse?” Oddly enough Canal almost seemed more hopeful still.

Pluto said, “No, it is not an excuse, but I believe they did the absolute best they could that day, and that their actions saved far more lives than they killed. You are familiar with that principle, are you not? That even though the ends do not justify the means, the ends are sometimes all we have, and sometimes we must do what we would rather not to protect what is important.”

“You are perhaps referring to my mother’s decision to allow the creation of a Senshi of Saturn and the power entrusted to that gentle soul.”

“Yes your majesty. The parallels are similar. I have often wondered if she had been deployed then would it have been better?”

“Thousands of years of darkness came to our galaxy. Seven planets and twice as many moons became uninhabitable during that dark time and it all could have been prevented had I ordered Saturn to pronounce judgment before it was too late on the cradle of our civilization. I still do not know if I made the right decision then, but it has brought us here today. Now back to the trial. What say you daughter of Uranus?”

Jack said, “Wait a minute. I read the intel file on you guys. You just calmly debated whether it would have been worthwhile to blow the Earth away to protect your kingdom back those thousands of years ago?”

Serenity said, “Would a strong empire not have prevented the thousands of years of crawling back from the ashes? Would it not have meant that we would be so much stronger now and likely able to face off against threats like we are facing now? You forget, you are part of one planet. I was in charge of the entire solar system, save for the Earth which had broken away years before in my weakness.”

“But surely there had to be another way!”

“I had made mistakes. We focused on prosperity never really believing that war would happen, despite the growing signs. Saturn was one of my attempts to correct those mistakes, yet it was almost too late. By the time my kingdom fell, there were no good decisions left. I had held off too long. Beryl’s forces were decimating the realm, and I would not kill the people on Earth simply for revenge. Instead I lashed out against her demonic spawn and her court and did the only thing I could with what power I still commanded. I sealed them away, only for my reborn daughter and her court to have to face them again highly weakened not all that long ago. I had hoped they would live peaceful lives, yet souls such as ours can never have such mundane fates.”

Canal said, “So you hesitated. Tell me, did more live or die as a result of your actions?”

Serenity said, “More died. I failed to stop stop Beryl in the beginning when it would have been far easier. I failed to act at all before it was too late to do anything. Even then had I acted, had I ordered Saturn to silence the Earth, more lives could have been saved. When I finally acted I could only imprison Beryl’s forces and save the souls of my court before the power consumed me. My spirit watched as my own forces, leaderless and enraged managed to decimate the Earth before it was over. In their rage cities and towns were burnt off the map. In the chaos that followed civil war broke out and terrible weapons were created and used. The magic and technology we were so proud of was lost and then the thousands of years of barbarism as humanity once again crawled from the ashes. Now, let us finish this trial. I grow weary of it. What say you princess Haruka Tenou of Uranus?”

“I agree completely with Pluto. My own actions have hardly been stellar. I have harmed innocent lives trying in my pursuit of duty. I have no right to judge her. She deserves our praise, not our judgment.”

“And you princess Nabiki Mizuno of Mercury?”

Mercury let Canal go and stood tall, calling all the resolve that she had left in her soul. “I agree as well. The part of me that was Nabiki was not the nicest person. She did some things to support or protect her family, but most were for far less noble reasons. I have no right to judge her. I have abused the power I’ve had in the past. How then could I find guilty one who has done her absolute best?”

“Protector Pluto tried to trick you into giving up your life to save Ami. Would you have her punished?”

Mercury said, “No. She did what she thought was best. I have no regrets and I can hardly blame her, when the part of me that was Nabiki would have done the same. Besides, I truly think my soul was saved by becoming one with Ami.” Canal looked on still hopeful and curious.

Teal’c asked Serenity, “Why do you refer to yourself as if you were someone long dead?”

Serenity smiled. For an instant it was Usagi’s smile, but it soon became more than that. She said, “You still do not see what is in front of you? There was no higher commandment in my kingdom than protecting free choice.”

Jacks aid, “Wait a second. I think I’ve figured it out.” He pointed to Mercury. “Somehow she is the result of combining two people into one, and, and so are you?” He pointed to Serenity.

“Yes, Usagi knew for years and just finally accepted the necessity of it. She is a part of me as I am a part of her. Thus is the way of the line of Serenity. Each generation is given the option to break the chain, but so far none has. Canal Volfield is the product of the willing sacrifice of thirty six priestesses who gave their souls so that she may be born and fight the darkness. I am the twelfth in the line of Serenity, so you see we are the same after a fashion.” She turned to Canal and asked, “Canal Volfield, do you accept me as your Queen? Do you accept the judgment of my court?”

Canal stood and bowed formally. “I do your majesty.”

“Then as your Queen I pronounce your fate. You will become a member and protector of our court. When the time comes that both of your new captains pass, so too shall you pass to be reborn human with us, so that we may continue to lead; so that we may continue to serve. Thus is our will. Do you accept the judgment of the crown?”

Canal’s tears flowed even as a brilliant smile graced her face. She said, “Yes!” as she embraced the young ruler without a land.

Serenity hugged her back before letting her go and summoning the silver crystal. The Senshi and Queen circled Canal with their joined hands as the crystal hovered between Canal and Serenity. The quartet grew a brilliant white before fading. Serenity ended the ceremony with a simple, “Welcome daughter.”

“Mother,” said a hesitant Canal as she embraced the young moon queen.

Usagi’s transformation faded back to plain Sailor Moon, yet it was no longer all the way back. Signs of her new maturity and experience remained from her careful gaze to her sharper focus. She said, “I believe it’s time we go rescue our friends!”

Canal smiled as she did a last check on their systems. For the first time in a long time she truly felt hope. For the first time since she split herself she felt, well not whole, for she was not, but as if a part she had not known was missing had suddenly returned.

-«oOo»-

Usagi smiled as she watched the newest member of her court. It was true that she had not made her a Senshi. She did not have that ability, at least not without a large civilian population to support the initial creation. She had not even truly made Ranma one, though she had done her best. Canal was unique. She was able to help Ranma control the power of Pandora. When the time for her rebirth came, she would not need to be linked to a stellar body to be formidable. She was like Usagi. After all, it was not as if the Earth’s moon itself was a vast untapped source of power. No, they were stronger because of the sacrifices of those who had gone before.

-«oOo»-

Jack was back at his seat and the others were back at their stations. He considered Usagi’s judgment. Though it had been phrased as a command, he suspected that it was more than Canal had ever hoped for. She would one day go from being first a weapon, to being first a woman. What’s more the group had accepted her, so she would not be alone again. He smiled a small smile at that. The change also had one more benefit. The government of Japan stood one hundred percent behind the Sailor Senshi, whether they knew it or not. That meant that technically Swordbreaker was under Japan’s direct protection. While such protection wouldn’t stop those like Senator Kinsey, it would, nevertheless help a great deal. Of course, he would still recommend Swordbreaker not land anywhere Kinsey or his ilk might be expecting them, but then that was just common sense.

Teal’c had taken over the conventional weapons available to Swordbreaker. As Mercury scanned over the readings, she noted that Canal had somehow managed to completely fill the psi energy reserve. Of course, it wouldn’t last long in a battle, yet it was nice to see. She watched as the seconds on the display ticked down and as they hit zero she said, “Let’s do this.”

Canal stood proud and said, “Primary psi system safeties cut. Deploying boost chips for psi barrier enhancement. Psi barrier on-line. Opening the electromagnetic rails and charging rail system. Awaiting final command.”

Mercury winced as the psi system started to aggressively leech energy from her. She had looked at Canal’s analysis of the process of creating the temporary rift into the other type of hyperspace and was impressed. She doubted she could have found a way quicker, even if she had all the theoretical knowledge about hyperspace that Canal had. She certainly couldn’t have built what Canal did in time. Now to see if their little gamble of bringing along the Earth ship paid off. She said, “Prometheus is free to engage it’s hyperdrive generator at any time.”

Jack said, “Aye.” then pressed the button and said, “Major Davis we are clear to go.”

“Engaging hyperdrive.”

Nabiki said, “The subspace distortion field is forming. Now move forward!”

Jack said, “I’m on it!”

They moved through the rift into the brilliant blue of the hyperspace the Americans were familiar with, but were soon interrupted by a call from Prometheus. “Sir the generator is unstable. We will have to disengage!”

Mercury said, “Not yet!” Jack said, “Try to hold a little longer..”

Canal said, “The final estimated offset to the alien’s subspace layer has been computed. Leap rail shell programing is updated. We are ready to fire!” The shells internally bore little resemblance to the cruder leap rail gun shells meant for pure devestation. They had linked computer systems to refine the subspace bombs’s parameters up until the last moment. Even still, it was a chancy process.

Mercury yelled, “Fire!” as she pressed the button to release twin deadly projectiles.

Canal said, “Redeploying boost chips to stabilize subspace. Detonation in three, two, one. Detonation.” The shock waves shook their combined ships as the subspace distortions provided by the leap rail gun cut deeper across and down into subspace. The area outside shifted to a deeper blue color, tinged with flashes of red.

The Prometheus called, “The hyperdrive has failed!”

Mercury said, “It is not enough. Attempting to stabilize our relative position in subspace with the boost chips. Position eroding.”

Canal said, “Leap rail shells three and four loaded and programmed.”

“Fire!”

Canal said, “Brace for shockwave in three, two, one. Impact!”

The area outside started to shift a little redder, but it soon began fading back to blue.

Mercury said, “It’s no good! If we use enough power to cut into that subspace layer we will either run out of shells or destroy the ship! We’ll have to try the phase drive.”

Canal said, “It is not intended to travel in this level of subspace! I don’t know what it will do!”

“I know. I’ll slave Mercury computer’s systems to swordbreaker. It’s sensors work differently than yours and if what I’m reading is true that is a massive amount of untapped computational power available. Between the increased resolution and the increased computing resources, I’m hopefully it will be enough to stabilize the system.”

A prompt appeared on the little screen which read, “Protector Mercury you do not have sufficient authorization to allow external control of all Mercury computing assets and subspace data links by Canal Volfield. Crown level authorization required.”

Mercury said, “Serenity, I need your authorization. Mercury’s core systems are only recognizing me as the daughter heir.”

Usagi rushed over and placed her hand on the screen of the little laptop and said, “I, twelfth in the line of Serenity, authorize full access to protector Mercury and by her command to Canal Volfield as required.”

The little computer said, “Access granted protector Mercury. Emergency core activation of all Mercurian computational systems on-line in five seconds. Canal Volfield has control. The AI will now dedicate one hundred percent of available resources to your task.”

Mercury let out a small sigh of relief, even as she noticed they had almost been pushed back out into normal space. She said, “ Reconfiguring the phase drive engines for one point three percent of normal power and coordinating the phase envelope with the boost chips and computer control.”

Canal said, “Phase drive is at your command.”

“Activating!” Instead of the lurch they usually expected, the world outside the ship shifted to a deep flowing green and the ship started to shake.

Canal said, “Too far. I can’t modulate the phase engines low enough to compensate!”

Mercury said, “Load shells five and six. Set them for minimum yield and prepare to deactivate the phase drive. Timing is at your command Canal. Try to slip us into the right subspace layer. There has to be a stable layer here somewhere, else those gates would be useless!”

The hum of the phase drive vanished and the view outside rapidly began to get lighter only to gain a reddish tint and then start to drift violet. The rail gun launched two more shells that exploded almost immediately in front of the ship, damaging both ships and leaving them in what could only be defined as a sea of pulsing red. Canal said, “This subspace region is stable and I’m detecting my shuttle craft! Deactivating phase drive and updating the course. They are about four hours away.”

Mercury said absently, “That was close. It wouldn’t have worked without the additional mass.”

Colonel O’Neil opened a connection to the Prometheus. He asked, “How goes things over there?”

Major Davis said, “There is minor hull damage all around the ship. The hyperdrive is down and I’m told cannot be fixed, though they are trying anyway. A few of the smaller point defense weapons are down, but all in all we are in fighting shape. She is a tough little ship. I’m glad I had the chance to captain her.”

“Good. We are about four hours out at present speed.”

“My engineer is very excited about the potential of this form of hyperspace travel, since almost any ship could use it, if they just had a way to enter and exit.”

“Understood. O’Neil out.”

Teal’c said, “Perhaps Nabiki should rest, while their is time.”

Canal was still transparent. She said, “That would be best.” Nabiki looked up annoyed.

Canal said, “Your potential is as great as any of my previous captains, but you have not had time to develop it, hence the greater strain. Ranma, on the other hand, has developed his ability through his martial arts. It doesn’t translate perfectly, but it was a huge head start.”

Pluto said, “I suppose I could manage a low level temporal acceleration field for a few hours. It should allow her to get perhaps six hours of sleep.”

Uranus asked, “Wouldn’t that just weaken you before a battle?”

“To an extent, hence why I would only do it for a few hours. I thought having Nabiki in top shape was more important.”

Moon turned to Pluto and smiled a sad smile. She said, “I can sense it you know. You of all people know what it means to be eternal, but even if you no longer choose that path, I would hope you know how important you are to us.”

She replied, “Yes, my link to eternity was through your mother. I had thought...”

Moon smiled a sad smile. She said, “Say no more. Your have served well and done far more than I ever had a right to ask. I will pray heaven will forgive you for your service to me. You have served the world with distinction and honor. I am in your debt.” With that Moon bowed a shallow bow to Pluto’s protector.

Pluto gave a deep bow and said sincerely, “It was an honor to serve majesty.”

Jack said, “Will someone explain?”

Mercury said, “Sailor Moon has a transformation known as Eternal Sailor Moon. An Eternal is as strong as any can be, but as with most things, there is a price. Now that Usagi has ascended I can choose to pay that price. Pluto was Eternal, but with the ascension of the new Queen that was lost. Usagi worries that Setsuna is looking for a way to die now that she finally truly has the choice again.”

“And the price is?” prompted Teal’c.

Pluto said, “We forsake the peace promised by heaven for the duty our Queen gives us. I was alive during the Silver Millennium, and I had remained nearly immortal after it, if weakened and unable to access my Eternal transformation since my Queen is dead. Now I will also begin to age again, if slower than most. Still, we all can die. It is just that those who embrace eternity don’t do it by aging more than we wish to. When we die, if Usagi is strong enough, she can sometimes bring us back, usually at cost to her own life force. I wish to continue helping and live this last part of my life as a mortal rather than once again accepting the mantle of Eternal Sailor Pluto. Now that my bond with the queen is severed, I can finally die completely and when I die I will have to hope that heaven will accept me. It may be that they will not or that my soul is too tattered by the long millennia. Immortality is often considered an evil thing. Unless great care is taken, the long years can weaken a persons spirit, making them susceptible to darkness they might ordinarily avoid. I lost my way for a time, before Usagi eventually saved me. Still, It may be that my soul will simply unravel into nothingness. I do not know.”

Teal’c said, “The goa’uld use a chamber that regenerates symbiont and host to the pinnacle of health. The Tok’ra are the same species, but do not use it, because they say it is an evil thing.”

Moon said softly, “I do not know exactly what their chamber does, but yes, an eternal living only for themselves often tends toward evil. I should think continually clinging to a device would be a dangerous habit to get into.”

Jack said,“You’ve got that right. One of my team members used one for several weeks. He became a bit of a arse, but he was okay when he stopped using it.”

Moon said sadly, “Once again it is the choices we make that define us. He likely remembered what was truly important.” She smiled a small sad smile before saying, “So now Nabiki, Canal, and Haruka you understand the cost to be a member of my court. Usagi was able to bring the others back because of traces of the old bond, but that is gone now. I do not wish or ask for anyone to choose to embrace eternity. The choice is, as always, your own, as all such important choices must be. It is given now to Nabiki in particular, because it would help her most now, and I believe her desire to protect her husband is a pure one.”

Canal said, “Me, but I am already...”

“Forgive me. I was unclear. I didn’t want to exclude you, even though it doesn’t apply to you yet. Canal, your fate is as we already said. In a way you are already eternal. It is only after you are reborn that any of this matters, though in truth I was perhaps a little selfish there. I asked for you to remain at our side then, when heaven likely would have accepted you as you are.” Usagi bowed deeply and said, “Forgive me. You could have been reunited with those you have loved before.”

Canal looked up, tears in her eyes,“To live only as a normal girl is my fondest dream.”

Usagi the girl peaked through the Queen’s countenance. She said, “We will have fun, you and I, and my dear friends one day.”

Canal return her small smile and added to it a hug, where again she was substantial, even though she was not expending the energy to be.

Uranus said, “Forgive highness, but I could not make such a decision without talking to Michiru and Hotaru.”

Serenity nodded, accepting.

Mercury said, “It is a big thing. I am less than sure I deserve it. I am also concerned how it would affect Ranma and Canal. Can I think about it?”

Serenity smiled. “You are under no obligation to choose. You are the daughter of a dear friend, and a dear friend yourself, yet you have no obligations to the past and future court of the moon, though I dearly thank you for all of your service.” Serenity bowed briefly to both both Mercury and Uranus efore turning to Pluto. “Protector Pluto, there is no need for your help at this time. Rest. I will watch over our friends rest.”

Pluto returned a short bow. “As you say, your majesty.”

A short while later a young Queen and the princess to Mercury lay in the captain’s bed in their night clothes with Nabiki’s head gently resting in the crook of Usagi’s arm. Less than a minute later, the new Senshi of Mercury slept, even as her friend began to ever so lightly stroke her soft hair before she too fell asleep. As they slept an aura of silver magic embraced them both.

A few minutes later a ghostly Canal appeared in the room and gazed down at them with a small fond smile.

Out on the bridge Teal’c said, “I do believe that Daniel Jackson will be most upset about missing this.”

Jack snorted. “Ya, you have got that right, but can you imagine Carter? Magical kingdoms, magic, super ships that do impossible things. She’d be tearing her hair out trying to find a more scientific explanation.”

“Indeed.” They sat and absently rested as the ship plowed through the lonely currents of the odd red and black layer of subspace they were in.

-«oOo»-

As time grew short they reconvened on the bridge. For once Canal could honestly say they were as prepared for battle as they were going to get.

Dr. Mizuno, who was sitting at the damage control station said, “They are in trouble! They signal they are under attack and require help!”

Canal said, “Battlestations! Emergency speed!”

Jack said, “Hang on to your hats! I’m gunning it!” Mercury increased the psi energy limit and felt the load hit her even as Jack gunned it. The engines of both ships screamed at the load behind applied. It was all the crew on the Prometheus could do not to pass out from the acceleration their inertial dampeners could not compensate for.

They arrived to see an entire fleet easily twice the size of the one they fought before bearing down on the shuttle craft. Mercury wanted to yell for them to go faster, but they were at their top acceleration and yelling at the laws of physics would not let you break them entirely, not even in a lost ship, particularly one that was attached to a heavy Earth ship.

Canal winced as the other half of herself slammed into her being. Seconds passed as the memories were integrated into herself. After she recovered she said, “Emergency shuttle loading in fifteen seconds. I’m taking control.”

Jack looked up with a relieved expression as the task of collecting the shuttle at the insane speed they were going was no longer his, as he really doubted he could do it, at least without slowing down enough to get blown to pieces.

On board the shuttle Alex could see the home guard fleet out the window. It was time. He summoned his own magic against the bindings that restrained him. He was a little surprised that it took so much effort, but ignored it. Once he was free he jumped across the room and grabbed the brown haired girl to himself before activating a tiny locater implant he had received years ago.

The feel of the transporter beam crawled along his skin as he ignored the shouts of both those around him and the women he held. Seconds later they were gone as was the eldest daughter of Soun Tendo.

Ranma, still not fully recovered from the Nekoken, yowled as something fierce overcame him, and then somehow the wildness in his eyes dimmed, yet the anguished scream continued.

Five seconds after that, Canal executed a seemingly impossible maneuver by dropping the psi barrier, decelerating both craft to match velocities, collecting the shuttle and again raising the psi barrier.

Canal said, “The shuttle is collected, but Kasumi was kidnapped,” as beams bounced off Swordbreaker barrier, sometimes inflicting damage on their own ships.

Mercury looked at the psi energy usage and the size of the fleet and considered. They might be able to win, particularly if Serenity, Pluto, and the Americans did what they could, but without knowing where Kasumi was how could they protect her?

Canal said, “We cannot win a battle and protect Kasumi unless we know where she is. I’m launching our entire array of stealth tracking probes. They will latch onto the different ships and hopefully allow us to track them.”

Mercury exclaimed, “What?! We can’t leave! We have got to get her back!” Jack, Teal’c and the others looked on in concern.

Canal said sadly, “We can’t. Not now. With Kasumi there we can’t even fire on them. We would all die.”

Mercury said weakly, “But, its Kasumi. We have to do something!” Mercury knew she was being unreasonable, but for once, reason was having a hard time winning over emotion.

Canal said, “We should have no problems tracking the probes, provided they are not found.” Left unsaid was there was no way of knowing which probe would lead to Kasumi, or if the ship that has her was even tagged.

Mercury nodded weakly before slumping in the chair. She watched as more shots bounced off the psi barrier. The reserve was okay for now, and they were leaving faster than their pursuers could catch up. Still, she had to focus.

Suddenly Ranma-chan ran onto the bridge leaving a trail of wind in her wake as she stood behind the distraught Mercury and Jack. Mercury felt the burden of the psi system lessen as Ranma shared in it.

Ranma-chan’s glare encouraged Jack to get out of his seat. She quickly hopped in and engaged the piloting interface.

Canal said firmly, “We can’t win, not even with your help Ranma, at least not without likely killing Kasumi.”

Ranma glared at Canal. Her determination was obvious.

Canal said softly, “Your barely holding onto sanity as it is. Please stop. We have got to get away first.”

She bent down next to the pair and in a pleading tone begged, “Please? Let us get away and regroup. I need time to heal you. Once that is done we will come back. I promise.” She did not want to leave anyone behind, but it was impossible to fight them as things were, and going into battle with an unstable captain was suicide. Even if they knew which ship Kasumi was on, firing on any of the others might be signing her death warrant.

Ranma-chan’s red aura flared and Canal could feel the negative psi energy flood her systems. It was no doubt effective, but she couldn’t make herself like it. The fact that it was also damaging her captain made it still worse.

Mercury turned and put her arms around Ranma-chan as she gasped out, “She’s right. We can’t save Kasumi if we die here.”

Tears leaked from Ranma-chan’s eyes as she said roughly, “Let’s get out of here!” A few seconds later she added, “But we are coming back for Kasumi!”

Neptune ran onto the bridge, panting slightly, before quickly sitting beside her lover and grasping her hand. It seemed Ranma in a hurry untransformed could be faster than a Sailor Senshi. Sailor Moon said, “We will return for her. I swear it.” The others shouted their agreements as Swordbreaker ran away.

-«oOo»-

On board the lead ship, Alex was just reaching the commend deck when he heard someone say, “How the heck can _any_ ship survive that bombardment? They are getting away! Can’t you go faster?”

“No sir, we are accelerating at our top rate.”

As Alex stepped onto the bridge a junior officer shouted, “Attention. Emperor on deck.”

The captain looked over before swiftly getting out of his chair and bowing as everyone else did as well. Alex let them do one quick bow before sitting. “At ease. I have what I want. Let’s go home.”

“But sir, they will get away.”

“They are going to do that anyway, are they not?”

“Very well sir. Plot a course for home. Best possible speed.”

“Changing course for planet Amalar.”

As they started their journey home, Alex wondered how exactly that ship had entered hyperspace. Was there another gate in their part of space? Perhaps that ship was also throw into hyperspace after the battle and only now found them. No, that can’t be right. The one ship was there before but the larger ship attached was new. The other ship would have had to either find a gate, or been in hyperspace all along, or could it be that one of the ships could enter hyperspace without a gate? Now that was an interesting thought.

-«oOo»-

Hotaru’s exhaustion still showed as she walked onto the bridge.

Canal said, “They are breaking off.”

Uranus said cautiously, “Maybe they were afraid of us. Maybe we have a chance now.”

Canal said sadly, “We have no chance because they have a hostage. No, they just realized they couldn’t catch us so they decided not to waste time.”

Mercury said, “She’s right, and we need to get Ranma to the sick bay. There is something wrong with him still.” She had pondered for a split second saying ‘her’, as it seemed more correct right then, but didn’t want to risk Ranma’s ego.

Ranma-chan said, “I’m fine,” in an obviously shaky voice.

Canal said sternly, “No, you are not. I can’t determine the extent of the damage here, but I’m guessing you are holding back the madness by sheer force of will.”

Mercury pulled Ranma-chan up. She said, “Come on, lets go to the sick bay. The sooner your fixed up the sooner we can save Kasumi.” Ranma grumbled but went as Canal changed course.

As Mercury and Ranma were about to walk out the door, Mercury asked, “Where are we going?”

Canal said, “To pick up the escape pod that Alex guy was in. I’m hoping it will contain in its memory the locations of other hyperspace gateways, although I think I already know where they are taking Kasumi.”

Sailor Moon asked, “Where?”

“Their home world is most likely. It is a planet called Amalar. I got that much data from one of the crude machines they had connected up to me for navigation before. It also matches up with their current heading.”

Mercury nodded before half hauling Ranma out the door followed quickly by her mother.

After they left Canal said, “I am needed in the sick bay as well.” She looked at Sailor Uranus and Neptune before saying, “Can you two see about collecting that escape pod?”

Neptune said, “Go, see to Ranma. We will do our best.”

Jack said, “I can pilot again if it will help?”

Canal nodded.

Venus kept quiet, yet she couldn’t help but feel betrayed. She knew it was silly, since she had no reason to trust him, even if she had asked if he had a girlfriend.

Hotaru said softly, “I wonder why he took her.”

Neptune said, “That is the question.”

After Jack got back in the pilot’s chair he contacted Prometheus, “Report!”

“Sir, Major Davis sustained a broken arm and is being treated. There are reports of dozens of broken bones and similar mishaps from the wild ride, but everyone is stable. I really hope you aren’t doing that again anytime soon sir.”

“Not currently no. Prometheus out,” replied Jack. He then let go of the send button.

Sailor Moon looked over at Jack. “I will go and help. I can be of little use here, though if Ranma needs further healing we may need to return to Earth first and get Mamoru. His skills excel in healing mental trauma.”

Jack said, “Okay, I’ll let them know your coming, and to be extra paranoid I’ll send Teal’c along with you.”

Moon asked, “Is that really necessary?”

“Probably not, but we sometimes have bits and pieces of our government that aren’t as noble as we would wish they would be. It won’t hurt to have Teal’c there to watch your back, particularly if your attention is occupied.”

Uranus said, “If that is the case, I will go as well.” Michiru looked on uncertain until Pluto said, “Feel free to go as well Michiru. We can look after Hotaru. The main thing for her is not to use her powers.”

Hotaru said, “I’m not that bad, really!”

Sailor Moon said, “I know exactly now much that attack takes out of you and I’m ordering you, as your queen, unless its life or death, no magic for the next month. Got it?”

Michiru said, “She accepted...”

Pluto said, “Yes. We have a true queen once again.”

Sailor Moon smiled and nodded.

Jack pressed the button and said, “Prometheus. We have some people over that should be able to help out with the injuries. Make sure to make them welcome.”

“Will do Colonel. Prometheus out.”

-«oOo»-

Dr. Mizuno coaxed Ranma-chan up on the medical bed and was in the process of taking her blood pressure when Canal came in. She had wanted to ask what was going on, and what Canal meant by holding back the madness, but the way Ranma-chan was clinging to Mercury seemed to make that a bad idea. Oh well, Canal was here now, so she could hopefully stop pretending to be doing something important soon. She knew enough about diseases of the mind to know that she wasn’t the best choice to treat one.

Canal walked up quietly and held her right hand to Ranma’s head and said softly, “Rest, my Master.” A few seconds later Ranma-chan was peacefully asleep and Nabiki was letting her down and covering her.

Canal said, “Okay, I know a little from what you said in the shuttle, but now I need to know everything you know about this Nekoken, and I mean everything.”

Mercury nodded as she let her transformation drop. She covered everything she knew as quickly and concisely as she could, sparing nothing. Dr. Mizuno was tempted to leave since this was very private, yet it was like a bad horror story that she couldn’t make herself turn off. It also concerned her daughter’s husband which was an important topic for her.

The sad part was it seemed that Ranma’s father really did not mean any wrong. She was even proud that Ranma had managed to thrive under such conditions. It was amazing really, but it seemed the bill had come due. That didn’t mean she wouldn’t keep an eye on things. If Nabiki ever had children she was going to be very sure that neither Genma nor his wife had anything to do with raising them, even if it meant getting them both locked up. She was not sure she shouldn’t do that anyway, but was wary about complicating further her daughter’s already complicated life.

Canal said to Nabiki, “Thank you. Knowing will help me help him. Now, if you will keep hold of his hand, I will begin in a moment.”

Canal went over to the sink and filled a small cup with hot water.

Venus walked through the door as Canal shut the faucet off. She said softly, “The pod is in the second shuttle bay.”

Canal replied, “Good. For now it might be best for everyone to relax. People can practice piloting if they want, but I recommend leaving the area, but making no attempt to return to normal space. This region in hyperspace is not particularly harmful so there is no reason to rush to get out of it.”

Venus said, “I’ll tell them,” as Canal poured the water on Ranma-chan changing him back to his birth gender while Dr. Mizuno used a small towel to wipe off the excess.

In response to the unasked question, Canal said, “He seems more comfortable when he is in his normal body.” She glanced around the room before saying, “I don’t know how long this will take.” Then to Nabiki she said, “It would be helpful if you could stay as you are the entire time.”

Nabiki said, “Take as much time as you need.”

Canal nodded. She would have done so regardless, but it was nice when people supported your actions. She bent over, in what looked almost like she was going to kiss him, before touching her head to his and disappearing.

Dr. Mizuno studied her daughters face, finding the slight traces of jealousy she expected. She didn’t think it was anything to worry about though. Canal was a friend, a companion, or maybe even a mother in her own way, but that seemed to be the end of it. Satisfied, she turned back to the monitors to try to make sense of it all and maybe to learn a little more from this precious resource.

-«oOo»-

Canal wandered the landscape of Ranma’s mind for hours as she debated the best course of action. Destroying the Nekoken was certainly within her power now and probably even something he would want, but it was so heavily interwoven with the rest of himself that she didn’t want to risk it, yet it could not be left alone either. It was frustrating! The strange construct was also a potential source of psi energy, and she was wary about destroying anything that might increase the available supply and thus her captains life span, yet the partitioning was not right. That energy should be at his beck and call all the time, not just when he went cat. It was his after all. She mentally sighed. The work that had to be done here crossed lines she vowed to never cross as she would be directly manipulating how her captain’s mind functioned, but the alternative was to let this abomination remain. That was even more unacceptable.

Resolved, she drew lightly on Nabiki’s psi energy through their joined hands as she pulled all of her consciousness and self into the problem then ever so carefully she started gently wearing away at the fear and insanity that were part of the nekoken while also carefully healing the areas she worked on. This was no crazy space battle. Care and precision were required over simple power. Fortunately she had those as well.

Unfortunately, this was only the first step. No matter what happened she had to do this much, since having an unstable mind in control of the power of a Lost Ship was unthinkable. She quickly looked over his mental landscape again before nodding to herself. The immediate problems were fixed. With a gentle nudge she started the process of his waking and appeared in the sick bay with them.

Nabiki and Dr. Mizuno looked over at her with hopeful expressions. She smiled and waited for her captain to awaken. Seconds later he did only to blink his eyes in surprise at the surroundings.

He said,“I feel like I let Ryoga beat on me for an hour. What happened?”

Nabiki said, “The nekoken combined with the piloting interface on its deepest level. If it helps, you saved the shuttle.”

Ranma said, “Kasumi!”

Nabiki said, “We will save her, but first we have to heal you.”

Canal smiled a small smile. She said, “I have worn away the fear and insanity of the nekoken and healed the immediate damage. That is as far as I will go without your explicit approval, but you should know that by doing even that much has cost you the power you gained from that spiritual construct as there is no longer any normal way to access it.”

“Meh. It has been useful, but it has also nearly gotten me killed lots of times.”

She said, “There are several options open to you. I can do nothing, which I don’t recommend as your mind would never fully heal. I can attempt to integrate the rest of the spiritual construct into your mind, in which case you will probably retain a large chunk of the potential granted by the nekoken, however significant training may be required to access it. Long term this may be suboptimal, as the wildness and primitive behavior are not the best use of your potential, but it is undeniably a useful source of power in the short term. I can also destroy the construct entirely and heal what is left. All of the potential you had locked up in the nekoken would be freed up, but it might be decades before you could match what it gave you, and that is provided you continue to work hard to develop your mind and body.”

Both Nabiki and Dr. Mizuno looked on but said nothing. This was clearly Ranma’s decision. He said, “So, the choice is to do nothing, to risk becoming part one of those, or to be healed and have a long road to recovery. The second choice might help me rescue Kasumi.”

Nabiki said, “You don’t have to do that alone, and she would hate it if her freedom cost you a portion of your sanity.”

Ranma nodded. He asked, “Can we wait to decide? If we get in a pinch rescuing Kasumi could you do the middle one?”

Canal said, “Not safely no. The only thing quick I could do would be to artificially trigger the nekoken construct and then try to help you control it, but there would likely be additional damage. You might lose a significant chunk of what makes you you before I could even begin to heal it. The healing I already did would at the very be lost, and likely more as well, as artificially triggering it would be as bad as what you did with the piloting interface. You also can’t use the piloting interface at that level again, or anywhere close, until this is properly treated.”

“Was that guy who was in my seat any good?”

Canal said simply, “He did a remarkable job, particularly for not being linked to me. I am at a loss to explain it. I think he may have a unique factor in his genetics.”

“Good. I’ll wait then. I hope it’s not necessary, but I won’t bet Kasumi on it.” Nabiki hugged him to her.

Canal said, “Yes captain,” before embracing them both in a brief hug and vanishing.

Dr. Mizuno said, “I’d still like to check your vitals to make sure everything else is okay.”

Ranma let out a wearied sigh which caused his wife to gain a fleeting smile. He was surprised when she leaned over and gave him a searing kiss, particularly in front of her mother, but he supposed he should not be. They were married now and Nabiki had always been daring. He couldn’t quite wrap his mind entirely around the concept, but this part he definitely liked.

-«oOo»-

Shampoo found it quite strange that they had a completely uneventful journey all the way to the lake. Heck the only problem they had was getting Akane used to the diving equipment enough to reach the underground passageway.

Akane coughed and sputtered as Ukyo and Shampoo dragged her the rest of the way. So what if she wasn’t the best swimmer in the world. She made it didn’t she? It was not her fault she was a buoyant as a brick, was it?

Akane coughed some more and spit up some water, and was that a minnow? Oh well, at least there was only a few inches of water down here, although she wondered how that was possible. They were under a lake right?

Shampoo said, “We must hurry. The book says that this area sometimes fill with water.”

Ukyo said, “Great, just great,” as she pulled on Akane’s leaden body.

Akane half whined, “I’m coming.”

-«oOo»-

Outside, about a mile away, Happosai’s group sat or rather flopped and rested.

Mousse said, “I don’t understand. If what they are doing is supposed to save the world or something then why the heck were all those things trying to kill them?”

Happosai said, “It’s just a bunch of cranky demons that wouldn’t mind the Earth becoming a barren wasteland, if it got rid of the annoying humans.”

Genma said, in a scared voice, “Demons? We are fighting demons?”

Happosai had learned to loath his former students. They had no spine whatsoever. He said, “Those were just low level demons. We can handle them.” That much was true of course, but whether or not they would be that lucky next time was another matter.

Soun winced as he twisted the wrong way and caused the gash on his chest to pain him. He ignored it and said, “At least my Akane is fine.”

In a depressed tone Ryoga added bitterly, “Yes. Akane is fine.”

Happosai glared at Soun before saying, “Had you or Ranma at least forced her to wake up and actually reach her potential she would be a lot safer. Seriously, what kind of martial arts master sits around all day for years while her daughter keeps repeating old katas badly and breaking bricks! It’s shameful.”

Soun had no response to that. He knew his skills had atrophied, but he also knew that he in his worst day was heads and shoulders above his youngest daughter’s skills. Would she die because he had failed to train her properly? No, that was what they were here for.

-«oOo»-

They had traveled for about twenty minutes underground with only their flashlights to light the way along the stone corridors when Ukyo asked, “How much further is it? For that matter, why doesn’t anyone else know about this place?”

Shampoo paused in thought for a few moments as she tried to think of the best answer. Finally she said, “Only the entrance to this place is underground. This place is.. Shampoo not know where this place is, but according to the book it not much further.”

Shampoo’s words turned out to be prophetic as they entered a room with a large domed ceiling. The ceiling looked almost like a night sky full of stars except you could see that it was solid. There was only the one entrance. The sides of the rounded cave were lined with thick vines that glowed a soft green and gave the room an eerie feel. The tops of the vines wove into the ceiling. At the exact center of the room was a nearly circular pool that was perhaps one hundred foot across. It dominated the room, taking up almost two thirds of the floor space. The occasional vine dipped into those still clear waters. Those vines were easy to see, for they were bigger and glowed brighter than their companions.

Shampoo said, “We here.”

-«oOo»-

Captain Panar looked out the view screen as they cruised inside the atmosphere towards the planet’s northern pole. It really was a beautiful world. It would have been so much better if they had just surrendered peacefully like most everyone else.

Dalan said, “ETA to the planet’s geographic north pole is six minutes.”

-«oOo»-

The little shuttle craft that the Senshi had brought back was screaming through the atmosphere as it headed directly north. Rodney said in English, “At our present rate of speed we will reach the north pole in about ten minutes.”

“What about that weapon?” asked Sarah.

Makoto said, “I’m as ready as I’m ever going to be, without testing, and I don’t see any point in wasting a shot, given we have no way to fix it anyway.”

Rodney said, “Great. Just Great. We are flying an unknown cobbled together shuttle against a battleship.”

Makoto said, “Don’t worry. Mercury almost never makes mistakes with these things. I’m sure it will work fine.” Annoying Rodney was fun, but they really couldn’t be sure about the weapon. Now where were the notes Mercury made? She wanted to go over them one last time.
-«oOo»-

Dalan said, “Sir, there is a small shuttle craft of imperial design on a high speed approach course. There is also twenty three fossil fuel base atmospheric craft approaching us from the other direction. Further scans show ten of the craft have primitive sublight engines.”

The captain said, “Details on shuttle?”

Dalan said, “According to records, that shuttle was on Swordbreaker when they captured it. Should we turn and engage it?”

The captain said, “No, I’m familiar with the type. It has no weapons. Raise shields and continue on course. As for the other craft, I doubt anything made by this primitive world can penetrate our armor.”

-«oOo»-

Sara asked, “How much further?”

Rodney said, “We will be there in about six minutes.”

In the back of the shuttle Makoto transformed and prayed a short prayer that they would be enough. Nabiki’s notes had recommend having at least two Senshi power the weapon, but she was all they had.

-«oOo»-

On board the imperial ship, Clara had redirected Dalan’s course several times before they approached a flat and barren sheet of ice, which was apparently their destination.

Dalan said, “There is nothing here!”

Clara said, “Do you think whoever made it would put a sign up to reveal its location? Besides, from what I can tell this is only a key point. There are likely a few others scattered throughout the planet. The main focus is likely elsewhere, but that doesn’t matter, at least not for our purpose. Destroying this one should be enough.”

Panar asked, “What do you have to do?”

Clara said, “Drop me off. It will be best if I pierce the protective spells first.”

“Very well. Hurry up. We will make sure you are not disturbed.”

-«oOo»-

After hastily donning a thin silvery heat suit, Clara entered the transport field and floated quickly down to the ground. She supposed she could have used the instant matter transporter that Panar had somehow acquired, but then she wasn’t supposed to know about that. Indeed the very existence of that technology was a state secret, and quite frankly she didn’t want to do that to her body.

As her feet touched the ice she adjusted the level of the suit before walking a few hundred feet and sitting down. The spot seemed the same as every other spot, but she could feel the truth. She felt for the fringes of the construct. It was so massive, yet at the same time so very frayed. With painstaking care she pulled thread after thread. Around her, the Earth started to shake in protest.

-«oOo»-

The cave started to shake, causing the trio to look around in panic. A few seconds later Shampoo said, “Quickly remove your clothes.”

Akane said, “Huh? I thought it was only you that had to come here.”

Ukyo looked questioningly at Shampoo, yet started to undo her clothing. If asked at that moment she would be hard pressed to answer why she was doing what Shampoo asked, other than it felt like the right thing to do.

Shampoo said, “It rare opportunity. It make you stronger, live longer.” Shampoo mentally debated whether this was a good idea as she quickly pulled off her clothing and jumped in, just as another tremor hit the place. Yes, she decided, they might need all the help they could get, and it was not as if she had any need to fear punishment anymore.

As her body hit the water the room seemed to be filled with light and Shampoo’s body took on a soft blue green glow. Ukyo and Akane were momentarily mesmerized by the pulsing colors before they finished getting their clothing off.

Akane said, “Well if Shampoo can do it, so can I!” as she jumped into the water and nearly drowned before she discovered she could stand. Ukyo followed as well, and before long all three of their bare bodies were aglow with the blue green light. Had Akane thought about what she was saying she might have been more hesitant of course, but impetuousness was always a great friend of hers.

The tremors continued, yet the walls held. Specks of browns and golds traveled up the vines surrounding the room, seemingly in response to the tremors. Akane said, “What’s going on? Wait, why aren’t you a cat?”

Shampoo said, “Shampoo not know what is going on. The pool’s magic prevents curse from activating...”

-«oOo»-

Panar asked into the communicator panel in his chair, “How much longer?” The jets were getting annoying, although he had taken out half them already. That shuttle was still coming too. Why was an unarmed shuttle in such a hurry? Come to think of it, just how did they get here before him, or were they here before? Something did not add up. Perhaps it was time to use that contingency plan.

Clara said, “I’ll be done by the time you get back here.” Clara again focused on the net as she pulled more threads away. Minutes later she plucked the last and suddenly she was standing on fertile grass and almost touching an impossibly tall tree. The tree had seen better days though. It’s leaves were badly withered and some branches showed signs of rot.

Clara reached out and lightly placed her hand near but not on the tree. She understood now. It had been untended for so very long, and the people on this planet had weakened it with their harm to the environment, except there was something, or was it someone? This was also not the only one, but it would be enough. Her musings were interrupted as she suddenly disappeared an instant before her ships full offensive weapons systems annihilated where she was.

-«oOo»-

Mamoru and Rei were still on the military jet when he screamed as if undergoing the worst torture imaginable. Rei looked on with concern. A nearby airman tried to check him over, but he kept thrashing. Another asked, “Should we divert to a hospital?”

Rei considered for a moment before saying, “It would do no good. I can feel it too though I do not understand it. She is dying.”

“Who is dying?”

“The Earth.”

-«oOo»-

Back in the back of the shuttle, Jupiter could feel it too. Thankfully they had finally caught up to the bastards she was sure were responsible, at least if the explosion she just saw meant anything. She called deeply into her power as Jupiter’s guardian. Enraged she went far deeper than she had ever called before. Electricity danced over her skin as even her Senshi outfit began to burn and yet more came. She targeted the fleeing ship and called forth, “Supreme Thunder!” as a colossal ball of lightning zipped forth from the small shuttle ripping a hole through the enemy ship.

The remaining F-302’s and F-22’s wasted no time in exploiting the hole and unloaded the rest of their conventional missiles on the attacker exploding it in a ball of fire. The had destroyed the ship, but it was far too late. Makoto lie now untransformed slumped against her chair. Sparks continued to crawl lazily across her skin. She was burned badly in places, yet she was alive.

-«oOo»-

Kasumi thought it odd to see so much wood and elegance in a room, after all the other rooms here were mostly metal. She sat down across from the white haired young man that had grabbed her. A blond haired young woman in a simple white dress brought in what she could only assume was food. It was very well prepared food if her nose was any indication.

She almost let out a small sigh before chastising herself mentally. She wondered if this was a result of that one time she had been jealous that it was always Akane who got kidnapped. Oh well, it seemed that someone else would cook for a change, and that was always a good thing, right?

-«oOo»-

In the pool the tremors had increased in tempo as if in prelude to a full blown earthquake. Shampoo saw energy from herself and the others begin to leach out, some going into the others and some into the pool itself.

Shampoo said, “Out now. Get out now! Something wrong!” Just what had happened? She didn’t know, but hopefully her great grandmother would. Hopefully, it was not already too late. Something was deeply wrong. Were they too late? There should have been time yet. She she jump back in? Would her joining her honored ancestors help at this point? She did not know and very much wished to.

-«oOo»-

On board Prometheus Sailor Moon had finished healing the last crew member. She did not use the fancy spells she typically would. Instead her healing worked more like Saturn’s did. Just as she was finishing with the last she slumped over and fell to the ground. Neptune and Uranus were instantly there and helping her up. Soon her eyes blinked open. One of the soldiers held out a fresh bottle of water that Moon absently took and drank from even as her outfit once again shifted to that of the Moon Queen.

She said, “I have to go back now! Something terrible has happened to the Earth!”

------------------

As people have likely noticed, I haven't actually removed any crossovers, although I did remove the bit where I changed the history of SG1. Canon history for SG1 works fine here. Also, as mentioned, I do have what I believe is a credible plan to wrap the major plot points up. I'm not saying every thread will be closed. That is impossible, but I think I've got the major ones covered.

At any rate, what do people think? I myself liked the scene with Jack and Canal's tragic pasts, particularly when I first wrote it, but I'm not sure how well it comes across to others yet...
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

Postby Lerris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Here is the updated 15. I decided to put it up as well as I had finished my editing pass, and was fairly confident that no major plot changes were required. Still, any feedback would be appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Lost Universe, Stargate, or Ah My Goddess. This is a non-profit work of fanfiction meant only for entertainment.
Ice Squared
by Lerris Smith

-«Exposition»-

Sarah and Rodney stared at the devastation of their battle. The landscape was pockmarked with craters with the area the aliens blasted cleared clean down to the bedrock.

Rodney suddenly jumped up from his console and ran back to check on Makoto. He said, “She is unconscious, and these burns look bad. Ouch! She is still emitting stray burst of electricity.”

Sarah said, “The scanners have picked up a couple of our pilots still alive. One of them registers as in bad shape. I’m going to land nearby. Once we load them we can head to the Alaska base. There should be medical help there.”

“Sounds good.” Rodney removed his outer shirt and wrapped it around his right hand before carefully shifting Makoto to a more comfortable position. He then put his shirt back on and his coat and waited near the air lock.

Two stops later they had both pilots onboard and Rodney was applying his limited first aid skills while Sarah flew them at top speed to the Alaska base. A few minutes into their journey Sarah activated her portable military com system and said, “This is Lieutenant Commander Sarah Smith on special assignment to Seal team Delta for General Hammond. I’m piloting an experimental vessel and need priority clearance to land. We have two injured airmen on board, one in critical condition. We also have a VIP civilian that may be suffering from electrical damage. She appears stable at the present time.”

“Roger that experimental vessel. We have been apprised of the situation. You are clear for the main runway. EMT specialists are standing by.”

“Understood.”

Immediately after they landed Rodney and Sarah were quickly called into a secure conference room for a teleconference with the President, the Joint chiefs of staff, the Secretary of Defense and General Hammond. They explained the situation and what they knew, which wasn’t allot.

General Hammond said, “The report I have from the group I sent with Sailor Mars and Endymion states that Endymion collapsed due to extreme pain. Now from what we know of this group, he is the one supposed to be directly associated with the Earth. Sailor Mars explicitly said the Earth was dying.”

“What are you suggesting? Surely you don’t believe?” the President said.

Rodney said, “I should think that is obvious. They didn’t attack someplace in the middle of nowhere for no reason! This all happened when that tree that appeared was blown away. I’m betting this isn’t a coincidence, especially since right afterward we see someone tied closed to the Earth collapse in pain followed by another saying the Earth is dying. Now, this is either all some big hoax and hostile aliens attacked a target in the middle of nowhere for no tactical gain whatsoever, or, they achieved something and I’m betting that it is something that is not in our best interest.”

“Okay, presuming that your right. What do we look for? Are we on a clock? Is there anything that can be done?”

Rodney said, “How should I know? I’m a scientist, not a magician. I wasn’t sure any of this stuff existed until I met these people, but it clearly works. The one with us, Sailor Jupiter, was able to destroy that ship with something that I wouldn’t even guess would function.”

“Very well. We have a few contacts which we will approach. The joint chiefs will insure the battle site is secured as we conduct our investigation. What about the nuclear payloads used? I know we never fired any, but what about the crafts that were destroyed? Do we have any broken arrows?”

General Hammond said gravely, “Two are unaccounted for. One is recovered. We have a lock on the emergency transponder on another one, but have not recovered it from where it is mostly buried yet. There are already teams working round the clock with more on the way.”

“Good. The last thing we need is to add a nuclear detonation to the mix.”

The secretary of defense said, “Possible, but unlikely, as our telemetry clearly shows they were not armed at the time of loss.”

“Keep at it. Call any time day or night if I am required to expedite things. Now General, what is your plan?”

“I request to keep the special ops agent codename Sarah Smith at the Alaska base. I’m hopeful Sailor Mars will be able to recover, and if that craft is needed again, it is just better to keep it all together.”

The secretary of defense said, “That is not a problem, though I would like Mr. McKay to also remain and if need be summon more of his team to try to learn something useful from that shuttle and the wreckage, if any of it can be salvaged.”

General Hammond said, “Understood.”

Sarah said, “Lieutenant Commander Sarah Smith here. I request to take the craft I came in back out to the sight asap. I don’t think we missed anyone alive, but the sensors on it might help find the broken arrow more quickly.”

The president asked, “Can that be arranged without further revealing the existence of that craft?”

The secretary of defense said, “Everyone involved in the search already has the clearance required. I see no harm in using it initially if it saves us time.”

General Hammond said, “We have been unable to get in touch with Prometheus, although there are many possible reasons for that. I have already ordered an F-302 with a long range subspace communications pod to their last known coordinates to attempt to make contact. I hope to hear back in a few hours. I believe one of us should leave to meet with Sailor Mars and Endymion as fast as possible. Whatever is going on, we almost certainly want leadership on site. I’d also recommend making appropriate inquires around the world and see if anyone knows anything. We are flying in the dark gentlemen, and that is a condition I do not intend to persist.”

The president said, “Plan approved. I want you there George. You have the most experience with dealing with off-world headaches. Send me your top three choices as interim commander for Cheyenne. I’ll get one of them there asap and let me know what the F-302 finds out as soon as you know.”

“Understood.”

-«oOo»-

Ranma and Nabiki walked onto the bridge at nearly the same time as Usagi got back from the Prometheus. Jack started to get up, but Ranma said, “You’re fine, and for now likely doing a better job than I could.”

Jack nodded a small nod before sitting back down.

Ranma said, “I have no intention of leaving Kasumi to them.” Moon started to say something but stepped back.

Canal stepped into the room, for once solid looking when there was no need to be. She said, “The most likely location is their core world. It is called Amalar. Several of the probes ended up at what I believe is the hyperspace exit near there. We won’t be able to tell their position in normal space until we exit hyperspace, so that’s the best I can tell for now. Their hyperspace gate is close to Amalar. Should that gate be destroyed, the planet would likely suffer catastrophic damage.”

Jack said, “Damn! I assume this Amalar is populated.”

Canal said, “My data on it is limited, but there was an old population estimate of 4 billion souls.”

Haruka asked, “Couldn’t we just threaten to blow it up if they don’t give her back?”

Pluto said, “That is a very dangerous game. Up till now we defended ourselves. If there is one thing that is apt to send their entire society down on us, it is annihilating their home world.”

Nabiki said, “Never attack a superior enemy directly. You need to target his supplies and weaken his underpinnings.”

Ranma said, “The gateways. There must be more right? Do we have a list of them? If we threatened to destroy them it might get us some bargaining strength. They can’t all be right next to a planet, can they?”

Canal said, “The data I have suggests there is a network of nine that they actively use, excluding the one near Amalar. One of those nine is too close to an inhabited planet to safely destroy.”

Pluto said, “It might work. Its risky though.”

Jack said, “Ah come on! My team has pulled off plans much riskier than this one.”

Teal’c said, “Indeed.”

Suddenly on the main view screen the view changed to an air force pilot in an F-302. He said, “Prometheus, this is Sargent Micheal Brown. Do you read me?”

Jack pressed the reply button and said, “We read you Sargent.”

“Sir. Can you set your system with emergency decode set four thousand nine hundred and two?”

Jack said, “I have no idea how to do that. Hold on, let me get the Prometheus on-line.” He pressed the same button again. It was definitely nice to have an AI continuously making one button do whatever you needed done. Jack said, “Major Davis, do you copy?”

“Online.”

“I have a Sargent Micheal Brown on from and F-302. He is talking to us from hyperspace, if the blue glow means anything. He had a message with decode...”

Nabiki said, “Four thousand nine hundred and two.”

Major Davis said, “Understood. One time pad is loaded. We are ready to receive. We are receiving. It seems your ship forwarded the message. Reception done. Hold on.” Jack twiddled his thumbs absently as the others looked on. A couple minutes later he said, “It seems that our enemies had a ship attack a location near the North Pole where an old giant tree appeared. They destroyed the tree. We destroyed them using that shuttle you brought. The latest information we have is that Sailor Mars said the Earth is dying right after.”

Jack said, “Ah hell.”

Moon said, “That must be what I sensed. The Earth must have established a magical biosphere regulation matrix. It shouldn’t have been needed. Earth was the cradle of civilization, yet it seems it was needed, else why bother to attack that point? I’m surprised they even noticed it. It would imply a very high degree of magical engineering. Fortunately, there are usually multiple redundant key points established due to their importance.” Mercury was furiously tapping on her laptop.

Jack, after glance at the laptop, asked, “And what happens if one is destroyed?”

Nabiki said, “The others would all be thousands of years old as well, and likely in no better shape. Based partly on other information, there is a very good chance the failure will cascade to the others effectively removing the feedback that was stabilizing the system. It may start to get colder and colder...”

Major Davis who was listening said, “Tell me you aren’t serious?”

Michiru asked, “How much time do we have?”

Nabiki said, “There is too little data to tell. At a guess, months, but that is only a guess.”

Jack said, “Ah come on. There has to be something we can do. The Asgard might have an idea, if nothing else.”

Usagi motioned to Canal to mute the microphone to the other ship. She said, “What I don’t get is how it lasted this long. Any matrix should have failed thousands of years ago without maintenance. I’m also not sure how to rebuild one from scratch without a very large team of trained mages and well I’m guessing about a million volunteers.”

Jack’s head swiveled sharply. “A million? Are you kidding me?”

Usagi nodded. She said, “It is only a guess, but assuming some group was helping to maintain the system, and assuming things are as I remember them to be, and that our classified methods for what may happen are true, then a matrix this old must be immensely powerful and countering forces immensely powerful. With the damage it is very likely you’d have to rebuild from scratch and fight against the pressure being exerted on it that the old matrix held back. Such things were taken very seriously when I last reigned. We would not dare let one decay or be damaged. The price was too high. Beryl’s attacks destroyed us because they targeted similar nodes on the other planets.”

“So a million people would have to die to fix it?”

“They would live on in the new matrix after a fashion. It is not a bad way of life, but inevitably those who choose it grow tired and wish to embrace the rest they rightly deserve. It was considered a high honor. Typically volunteers were those in their last decade of life.”

A pained look crossed Setsuna’s face. She asked, “You don’t think they have been there all this time?”

Usagi also looked pained at the concept. She said quietly, “I hope not. I dearly hope not. Such heroes deserve so much better than to be forgotten and left to rot.”

Ranma said, “I’ll gladly help all I can, but this isn’t saving Kasumi.”

Teal’c said, “If these people knew enough to know what to target...”

Jack said, “Then they may also know how to fix it, without desperate measures.”

Nabiki said, “Doubtful, but they may have the mages we need to help fix it.”

“For crying out lout. So let me see if I get this. The Earth had some magical heating system. The bad guys we just defended ourselves against just destroyed part of it, with the rest likely to fail soon, and oh by the way we probably need their help to fix it,” said Jack.

Nabiki said, “Simplistic, but still the most likely conclusion based on the limited data.”

“And your not going to tell us how you know part of it.”

Usagi said, “No. Our sources and methods for one piece of information can not be revealed. They would not help anyway. We only knew the effect, not the cause, at least not until today.”

Jack grimaced but nodded. He pressed the button again. “Major Davis. The situation is complex. It is possible we may need the help of the people who attacked us to resolve the situation on Earth. I’ll let you know more when I can.”

“Understood. Is there anything we can help with?”

“Not at this time, well other than perhaps making sure the ship is ready for anything.”

“Understood. Prometheus out.”

Ranma said, “Canal plot a course to Amalar.” He looked at Jack who nodded.

“Course plotted. Engines engaged. Full wavelength cloak available at your command, though it will require more power due to the Prometheus, and may be detected while the engines are active.”

Ranma said, “Activate the cloak.” The ship just vanished as both co-captains felt the additional strain on their psyches.

Nabiki said, “We are going to need something more though. If we open a communications channel they will find us regardless and likely try to destroy us before we get a chance to say much.”

Canal said, “Several stealth probes are just finishing production. We would be delayed by a couple hours, but they could be launched to form a communications relay. If we used laser communication with them, they could then communicate with Amalar, or we could end the chain with one of the probes we launched earlier that is already there.”

Jack said, “Carter would love to be here. For once someone else is coming up with the saving the world gizmos.” Canal gave him a brief annoyed glare.

-«oOo»-

It was decided that Jack would speak for the Earth. He was the highest ranking they had, and more apt to be taken seriously than those so much younger. He ended up borrowing Major Davis’s dress uniform and then Dr. Mizuno ended up having to alter it, but they were finally ready.

Canal said, “Com system on-line. As usual I am handling the translation in real time.”

“This is Colonel Jack O’Neil of Earth. I demand to speak to your leader to answer for your unprovoked attacks and kidnapping of one of our citizens.”

Silence replied for several minutes until the face of their former captive appeared on the screen. He said, “I am the Emperor. I find I must give thanks to those who rescued me. Now, what is it that the empire can do for you?”

“You can start by returning the woman you took.”

“That will be quite impossible. She is to be our Empress. I have never seen a woman who has impressed me so, and you would have me give her up? That is quite impossible.”

“You do not even speak the same language.”

“That is a trifling matter. Already a team of linguists is deciphering her language and teaching her ours.”

Jack’s eyebrow rose at that. He said, “Nevertheless we want her back. If necessary, we can go beyond merely defending yourself to taking out your military assets. I should think a few less of those gateways would complicate life for your empire.”

“While what you say is true, in the end the Empire would crush you, and even the loss of our hyperspace gates would not stop us long. Already our scientists are near to the point of being able to recreate them. I am a fair man though, so I am willing to offer you some compensation.”

“Compensation? We are talking about the life of a non combatant!”

Alex raised an eyebrow as if curious about the concept. Setsuna motioned for them to cut the microphone. Canal gave a small nod to indicate she had done so.

Setsuna said, “If they will let me, I will go. I can help keep her safe and try to learn something useful. I’m actually fairly practiced at this kind of work, and in the worst case I may be able to open a portal to get us home.”

Usagi looked at Setsuna with a sad expression but finally nodded. She said quietly, almost in prayer, “May god always stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk.”

Teal’c said, “I would like to volunteer to go as well.”

Jack said, “But we need you on SG1.”

“This may not be permanent and I cannot think of a better way to serve. You will need eyes and ears in this place and I am familiar with the role.”

Jack nodded. He pressed the com button and noted wryly that the Emperor was now drinking a dark beverage on the rocks. Jack said, “For now we have these terms. Two of us will stay with Kasumi to insure that she is unharmed. We will send with them our own communications equipment, so they may remain in contact with Earth. Furthermore, we require a team of your best mages. It seems one of your ships escaped its original attack on our galaxy and then proceeded to destroy a very old and very powerful part of the magic that protects our world.”

Alex seemed shocked at that. He said, “That goes too far! How dare they waste resources like that! Sure you may have been proven to be a threat but to destroy a valuable resource is simply unforgivable. If they weren’t dead I would kill them!”

“So you agree to our terms?”

“Very well Colonel O’Neil of Earth. We shall send you our Sister and two of her friends. Among us, there is none better at such magics. She should be able to help, though be warned the price to your people may yet be high.”

“So I have been told.”

“We shall send a shuttle to the coordinates you specify. It can return with your people. Should my sister come to harm, your world will be destroyed. I may not wish to waste resources, but family is important. I only do this because our empress’s world should be preserved.” He said the last as if it was nothing more than the simple truth.

Jack said, “Just so we are clear. Should you violate these terms, we destroy the gate next to your home world, which will destroy the planet along with it.”

“We had never thought of the great gates as potential bombs. They were so precious to us that the very idea was abhorrent. Still, I suppose that means our family will have to relocate.” Then, as if in afterthought he said, “We agree to your terms. The shuttle should take off within a day, once my sister and her friends have time to prepare for their journey.”

-«oOo»-

Usagi cornered Setsuna shortly afterward in her bedroom. She said, “I was a part of empowering your connection to the Gate of Eternity and Pluto itself. I know the limits of your powers well and can make a good guess of their current limits with Pluto displaced as it is.”

“Yes, I very well know what I was offering. I could not make portals crossing the universe even when Pluto wasn’t displaced, yet with my own willing sacrifice...”

Usagi said softly, “Life fire. I had not known that you knew it.”

Setsuna smiled sadly. “A girl can learn a few things in her free time.”

“I understand. I could not be prouder of you daughter of Pluto.” Usagi then embraced the taller green haired woman in a hug. Tears fell down both their faces. Usagi’s voice was muffled due to her position when she said, “Don’t sell your life cheaply. Help them if you can. There has to be a way to end the bloodshed.”

“I will do my best your majesty.”

-«oOo»-

“I do hope you have not risked my sister without good reason. I nearly refused when I heard that through my implant,” stated the Emperor.

“Alex, you know she is problematic. We simply thought it best to accomplish two goals at the same time. Even if they treat her well, she is at least no longer our problem for awhile.”

Alex said, “That is a valid point and I doubt they will treat her badly. They even took me in after all.”

“It is unimportant. I could almost wish they failed to save their planet, but even if they do not, it may be best to keep them around, for now at least.”

Alex asked, “Why is that? While I do believe the Empress’s planet should be preserved. I was under the impression you did not care for my choice.”

The man pulled out a folder and handled it to the young emperor. He flipped it open and looked through it before saying, “So, this Colonel O’Neil is one of the top targets of our enemies the Goa’uld and so is his planet. It seems intelligence did its job for a change, if a bit late. Do you think they are worth keeping around as a distraction?”

“Does it matter? When two of your enemies are fighting each other the logical course of action is to...”

“Stay out of the way and let them kill each other. Yes. Yes. I learned my lessons well. Still from all accounts the threat is mostly that ship. Have a team setup with no other goal but capturing either the ship or the technology behind it. Destroying it is acceptable too, however if they are making more, then we really do need that technology or a way to nullify it.”

“Of course my Lord,” the man said dryly. The Emperor glared at him and in response the man nodded and walked out. As he was leaving the Emperor said, “Make sure you get a translation matrix from them as well. I would speak with our future Empress soon.”

The man gave one final half nod.

Alex said, “Actually, perhaps we could arrange for that troublesome ship to be destroyed fighting the Goa’uld?”

“No my liege. That is something we cannot risk. Should the Goa’uld manage to recover the ship and incorporate its technology then we may very well be the next ones conquered.”

“A valid point. Very well, if intelligence can find a way to destroy it, then they may do so without regard to information collection, though I still would greatly prefer to get it back. Perhaps it could become our new flagship.”

The man nodded once and exiting out the side door.

-«oOo»-

Later on the man was talking to another small group of men. He said, “Alex grows more and more troublesome as he gets older.”

“We could always eliminate him. We have done it before.”

“No. The people like him. For now he serves his purpose, and we lack any other direct heirs.”

“What of the girl and this deal?”

“Ah yes. Our future empress.” The man’s voice was dripping with sarcasm.

“I say we honor that part of the bargain, for now at least. It will be no great trouble keeping three people out of things they should not be in, and if the woman distracts Alex from his notions of leadership...”

“Then things will be even easier. Yes, I take your point. Still, we will have to monitor the situation closely.”

“We always do, but for now let the boy have his toy. She is most attractive and it would be useful to have another heir. Still, it’s a pity he never accepted any of the women we selected for him.”

One of them grumbled out, “I still say someone told him they were our recruits.”

“Perhaps one of them did. There is nothing to be done about it now. The investigation is complete and I’ll not kill a half dozen high grade operatives in the off chance one is a traitor. We have been over this time and time again. It is time to move on.”

“Agreed.”

“The main question is what do we do about that ship? Shall we follow the boy’s plans?”

“Perhaps. The basics are solid, yet a greater focus needs to be on obtaining the technical data of that ship. I can’t believe we had it in our fleet for years and didn’t discover what a gem it truly was. I’d gladly sacrifice dozens of ships and thousands of soldiers for the knowledge of how to make ships that small that powerful.”

Another mused, “One of Kira’s friends is vulnerable. It would not take much to persuade her to help, and she is likely going to go with them.”

“See to it, and make sure Danzo prepares her personally right away. We have little time.”

-«oOo»-

General Hammond set across the table from Rei Hino at a small Thai restaurant near the hospital. Across from them both was Daniel Jackson. Mamoru was in a coma and showed no sign of waking. Several plain clothed security personnel had taken nearby tables to be sure their conversation wasn’t overheard. Rei was reviewing a thin folder of information, though it seemed she was struggling from time to time. She looked up to the General.

The General noticed her look and said, “Please explain to me again whatever you can.”

She said haltingly in English, “I will do my best. My English is ...”

Daniel said in Japanese, “My Japanese is rusty, but I suspect it is better than your English. I was the one that included the Japanese translation in the notes you just read.”

Rei let out a small sigh of relief. Hammond said, “Yes, it was fortunate that Dr. Jackson got back from his business trip early and was able to meet us here.”

Rei said in Japanese, “It was not a tree, or rather not only a tree. Something is horribly wrong. I think they destroyed something important. I think. I’m guessing you realize, but I think it was part of a magical construct used to regulate the Earth’s environment. I think with it gone the rest will follow in time. I can feel it now that the tree is gone. My friend Mamoru, you know about him?”

Daniel said in Japanese, “If you mean his penchant for formal-ware, then yes.”

She replied, “He is tied to the Earth. Anything that greatly affects the Earth will affect him. If the Earth dies, or even suffers a catastrophic enough change then he too will probably die.”

“Well, we are here to help. Do you know how to repair this construct you mentioned?”

“No. My memories of the Silver Millennium are spotty at best, and I don’t think I was involved in any of the constructs that sustained the other worlds. I don’t recall ever knowing that one on Earth existed. It was the one world where life flourished without one.”

Daniel translated what he was told back to the General. He then said in Japanese,“Tell us what you do know or any guesses you have. Anything at all. It could be important.”

Suddenly a very short old lady walked into the restaurant and hopped into the remaining chair. They waited quietly until she placed an order for tea and chicken pad-thai. The old lady then said in excellent English, “Don’t let me interrupt. Go on, I believe you were getting to the important bit.”

“Who are you?” asked General Hammond.

“My name is Kho-Lon. I am matriarch of what you would refer to as the lost tribe of Chinese Amazons. We are also the last keepers of Avendesora, which is the name of what you referred to as the magical construct that keeps the Earth alive. Your incompetence just cost us one of the three principle nodes. Over a thousand souls made that place their home and now all are gone. The others will fail soon.”

The general didn’t bat an eye at the insult. He simply said, “How do we fix it?”

She said sharply, “We can’t. While our tribe is a keeper of lore thousands of years old, we do not have the knowledge to repair the breach. It was only through regular sacrifices of our most promising that the thing has lasted the last few thousand years!”

Hammond said, “I am sorry. If I could fix it I would. The ship that might have been able to stop them went with some others to face a potentially larger threat.”

Kho Lon nodded. She said, “I suppose I do have one thing to thank you for. You have brought my own daughter time at least. She was about to sacrifice herself to become part of Avendesora, but with this there was no point.”

Daniel asked, “There must be something we can do.”

Kho Lon turned towards Rei and asked, “Daughter of Fire, where is your leader? She is the only hope I know of, though I fear the cost will be high indeed for our lack of care.”

Rei said in her best English, “She is on that ship.”

Kho Lon nodded and turned back to Hammond.

Hammond said, “Good. They should be back soon. Now what do you mean by a high cost and sacrifices?”

Kho Lon said, “Our best records indicate thousands of souls resided in the three nodes, but that is partially guesswork. Our records only go back so far, and do not cover the nodes creation. We do not know from whence they came. We ourselves have sent two hundred and four of our best and brightest to join them since our records began.”

Shocked Daniel said , “You use people to power this magic life support system?”

Rei said quietly in Japanese, “Volunteers. My memory of that time may be spotty, but it was our highest law that they would have had to be volunteers, at least if it was one we setup. Ours were said to be a nice place to, well not live, since it wasn’t life as you know it, but they were communities and people were together. I do not know how one setup by Earth might differ.” Her eyes grew wide before saying, “I just had a terrible thought! What if we have ignored and let those pour souls languish there for all the thousands of years since the fall? We would have failed entirely in our duty! They were never meant to be permanent. A soul has a right to go to its appointed rest! Others were supposed to take their place. You say you had a couple hundred volunteer? That is not remotely enough! Kami-sama, what have we done?”

The general was alarmed at her tone and was not especially soothed by Daniel’s hurried translation.

Kho-lon said simply, “They never communicated to us that. Perhaps they knew our little village could afford no more. Perhaps they agreed with us that even acknowledging the existence of such a thing to the wider world could be very dangerous. I do not know, but it seems we too have failed.”

Kho-lon brought her aged hand down on the table absently busting off a piece of it. The plain clothes security started to move when a glare from Hammond stopped them.

The general asked, “What can we expect when it fails?”

Sailor Mars said in Japaense, “Cold. I can’t say why, but the temperature should continue to drop. There may be other factors, but I’d bet that is the first one.”

“You can’t say why?” prompted Daniel in Japanese.

“I’m sorry. I simply cannot. Some secrets must be kept. I do not believe that knowing this one would help here.”

Daniel translated. The general just nodded.

-«oOo»-

Akane asked, “So what do we do now?”

Shampoo said, “Great grandmother is looking. Shampoo will do her duty if possible.”

“You still plan to die?” asked the chef.

Shampoo looked puzzled. She said, “If world falls, village die too. Shampoo life too small price to pay for even chance to save village.”

-«oOo»-

Not far away Happosai cursed. He had no idea what to do now, other than to stay close to the people involved and continue to protect them. He just hoped hell would get a reign on its darker members, or that heaven would mobilize the Valkyrie squadrons again. Who was he kidding? The last thing they needed was the truce broken and open war between the hoards of heaven and hell! He very much doubted the Earth would survive it.

-«oOo»-

General Hammond returned to the van that was at the moment the closest thing they had to a mobile command center. He got on a secure phone back to Cheyenne mountain. He said, “Contact all our more resourceful allies. Have SG teams discretely deliver the message that something that was keeping the Earth warm is in the process of failing. Ask for suggestions and help.”

He listened for several minutes before saying, “I understand. Hammond out.”

Daniel said, “Your hoping the Asgard might be able to help.”

“Yes.”

“I’m not too certain they will be able to, not with the protected planets treaty.”

“We still need to ask. If we don’t have a plan soon, we will have to begin evacuating to the alpha site. Materials are already being ordered and stockpiled should that eventuality be authorized, but I don’t need to tell you the amount of people the alpha site can sustain is highly limited.”

-«oOo»-

Ranma said, “I hate this plan! I mean we are leaving Kasumi and now two others to the people that tried to kill us!”

Jack said, “I know. The plan sucks, but sometimes a sucky plan is all you got.”

Teal’c said, “It reminds me of the plan Colonel O’Neil proposed to me which finally encouraged me to betray Ra.”

“My plan wasn’t that bad!” exclaimed O’Neil.

In response Teal’c just raised his eyebrow. Jack said, “At any rate it worked, and this one can too. At the very least we buy a little time and hopefully get the expertise needed to fix this mess.”

Haruka exclaimed, “You don’t actually expect us to trust them?”

Jack said, “Hell no. Whoever they send we watch like hawks and expect they will do the same with our people. We are playing in the big league now boys and girls.” Several of the younger Senshi glared at him.

“It’s just an expression!”

Ranma said, “I should go.”

Nabiki had tears in her eyes when she held onto him and said quietly, “If anyone should risk their life for Kasumi it is me. I owe her so very much, but if either of us go Sword Breaker is weakened and they almost certainly win.”

“It’s not right! Kasumi was the best of us. Everyone left Kasumi alone. If she is hurt there will be hell to pay!” half screamed the pigtailed martial artist.

Teal’c said, “On my life, she will come to no harm.”

Setsuna tilted Ranma’s head to look him in the eyes. She said, “I swear to you that I will protect them both and if necessary get them both out.”

Ranma could see it then. It was written in her expression as if in giant letters. He said quietly, “You will die.”

Setsuna’s eyes misted. She said simply, “I have served with pride for so very long. I have watched civilizations rise and fall and rise again, and even manipulated them to bring us to this very day. It is my right and my choice to claim this duty. Do you not understand?”

Ranma nodded. He understood. They all did.

-«oOo»-

In a lonely temple in Nekomi, Belldandy was worried. Heaven had recalled both Skuld and Urd, saying they were needed but had not explained why. She could guess of course. Father wanted them under his eye, since otherwise it was likely they would interfere in what was coming. That left her. If it were other circumstances she might suspect Urd of a plot to give her and Keiichi time alone. Of course those plots were always appreciated, regardless of the reason.

She was surprised when Yggdrasil whispered the new Moon Queen’s prayer to her on the wind and the events behind it. The remnants of the Moon Kingdom and in particular Setsuna were often discussed in heaven. It was amazing how often that one’s plans derailed their own, yet in the end she thought they would grant Usagi’s prayer when the time came. Seeking to live forever was a very corrupting goal, however, seeking to be able to continue to help was generally not. It all depended on what ones real goal was. Sadly the second often became the first. Fortunately, Setsuna had been more of a force for good than bad, and she had done it all with only the imperfect clarity that their gate gave to them. More importantly, she had been able to act in areas where heaven could not because of rules that they themselves must enforce. She would have to speak to father soon. She did not think her words would ultimately influence Setsuna’s fate, yet she could not but try.

The real question that the prayer had temporarily distracted from her was whether or not she would disobey heaven and act herself knowing it would mean being eternally separated from her beloved Keiichi. It was a thought she could not stand. It was probably only that she had never disobeyed in the past why she was left free now. She also knew that even if she did do all she could it would not be nearly enough. The ultimate force would not be her ally if she disobeyed father. She shivered as she lay under the covers and took in the heat from the warm body beside her as Keiichi gently stroked her hair.

He said softly, “You are worried.”

“Yes. I am very afraid. If I do nothing and obey father, then the world may die though Tokyo and part of Japan would live. I am allowed to save that much, but I am the only first class goddess left on Earth. If I forsake my vows to heaven then you may die and all that we cherish may die. At the very least I would never see you again! How do I forsake one duty for another and if I leave here, do I doom you and all the people in this city to slowly freezing to death? Why does heaven test me so? There are good people fighting and I know they will do their best to save us all, but even with everything it may not be enough.”

Keiichi smiled at his beloved and then followed that up with a searing kiss. “Then go if you want. I will always be here waiting for you.”

“But if I help them, I won’t be able to you again!” Belldandy was racked with sobs as Keiichi pulled her naked body closer to him.

Keichi tried to speak, but couldn’t get the words out as he held her tightly to him and felt her heart beat next to his. He tried twice more to get the words out and failed. His own tears streamed down his face as they gently held and kissed each other for over an hour before Belldandy suddenly stiffened and said, “I must go.” Then more hopefully she said, “Will you come with me?”

“Always my love. I will face anything if only to stand by your side.”

“We will not be disobeying heaven today, yet it will be a fine line we walk.” She embraced him. They disappeared only to reappear fully clothed in the corner of a private hospital room for one Mamoru Chiba. With Keiichi’s help she pulled one of the bigger chairs up to the side of his bed and sat down with Keiichi snuggled into her side.

They were surprised a few moments later when the old priest from the Hino shrine walked in and gaped at them. He bowed deeply to Belldandy.

She said softly, “There is no need to bow to me Hino-san. I see that you have already tried to help him.”

“Yes, after I recovered Rei asked me to try. I’m sorry. My skills were too poor.”

“Do not apologize. If the world had more people like you we would not be at this place at this moment.”

“You do me too much honor.” The old man paused for several seconds before carefully asking, “Will you please help him megami-sama?” He then bowed deeply as his old bones would allow, even partially grabbing onto the bed to support himself.

Belldandy smiled up at him before saying, “Thank you so much.” He seemed shocked at her words of thanks. Keiichi too seemed confused. Belldandy continued saying, “Please ask the people of this place to open their doors and windows. Let this place for the time I am permitted know the healing of heaven.”

Shocked the old man quickly straightened to carry out the goddess wishes. Understanding dawned on Keiichi as he scrambled to get up to open the rooms windows. As he was departing the room Belldandy gave him her best smile of approval even as she herself pushed the chair back and summoned her angel Holy Bell.

She began humming softly under her breath as she waited for Keiichi and the old priest to have time for their task even as she wrapped herself and Holy Bell in the joy and love she had just experienced with Keiichi by her side. She smiled a particularly fond smile as she thought of last night with him. With that final thought she sang with all the skill and power she had at her disposal. It was not the power of a first class goddess. Her limiters would allow only a fraction of that and she dare not remove them for this, not when this was only the beginning of what must be done. Still her power was impressive nonetheless. Throughout the hospital, and in particular in those rooms close by health returned to those sick in body and in spirit as a song older than man combined with all the positive energy a goddess and her angel could call forth swept through the area.

An old general who had been waiting in the nearby waiting room walked in as her song ended. His heart felt so much lighter seeing the goddess with her angel. He felt better than he had in decades as he noticed the young man beginning to stir. After her song finally ended he asked with wonder in his tone, “Who are you?”

She said softly, “My name is Belldandy. I am just a friend who thought she could help, if only for a little while. You have in your own way done more good than me of late. I thank you for it.”

He blinked. “What? Me? I’m just an old has been general living out my time till retirement. Now what you did was amazing. I have never heard or felt the like.” She smiled at him, not upset by his lie.

He asked, “How long?”

She smiled a mysterious smile as Holy Bell returned to her. She said, “I have given him some of my own energy and a touch of the magic inherent in the song. It will not last I’m afraid, though if he can avoid using his power he should have perhaps a month.”

“That soon,” he said softly. “And if he uses his powers?”

“His connection to the Earth is deep, as is his connection to Avendesora, which was damaged and is in near collapse. One tries to heal him. The other pulls him down with it. Should he use his powers before he is separated from Avendesora then he will almost certainly die, yet his separation would accelerate the collapse.”

He asked, “Is their nothing we can do?”

Belldandy smiled. Keiichi stood behind the general waiting patiently.

She said softly, “Every time you choose to ignore the aches and pains to get up and do your best to see the world become a better place for your granddaughters, you are doing all you can do and heaven thanks you for it.” She gave him a small bow to indicate her approval.

He smiled a small smile and then asked wryly, “Is there anything more specific we can do?”

Belldandy and Keiichi quietly came together and began to fade away. As they left he heard her last words. They were little more than a whisper in the wind. He heard, “Father says my sister puts too much faith in computers and not in people.”

A bemused old general sat in the chair that the goddess had so recently sat in as he reached for his cell phone. He did not know what to make of her last words, but he was sure they were important and he knew he would spend much time thinking on them. As he was dialing the old priest returned to the room and said in English, “I already called Rei. She will be here as soon as she can.”

The general nodded as the phone connected. He said, “Dr. Jackson. Our patient is awakening. Could you come down?”

He listened for a moment and then said, “No, no donuts this time. Try to bring something healthier. I think it is past time I stopped eating all that junk.” There was a pause. Finally he said, “I’ll see you when you get here.”

-«oOo»-

Jack and Teal’c sat on the bridge by themselves for a change. The others were all resting, or trying to. No one particularly liked this plan.

Jack said, “This plan sucks!”

“Perhaps we can think of a better one?” suggested his stalwart friend.

“Man, I wish we could. I don’t suppose we’d be lucky enough for them to have a nice stargate you could all escape through.”

“I will of course endeavor to find such a thing after we arrive.”

“That’s the spirit!”

“You miss Captain Carter?”

“Yes. No! I mean she is always the one to come up with the fancy plans when I couldn’t. She would be useful.”

“Indeed.”

“Wait a second. I’ve got it!” exclaimed O’Neil. Then he added, “Well not so much it, as part of it, and perhaps only a small dangerous and incredibly risky part of it...”

Teal’c raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“Go get the others. I have no idea if this crazy idea is going to work. It may even get us all killed, but I’d rather die trying to bring everyone home than leave anyone behind.”

Teal’c gave a brief nod and proceeded to go and collect the others.

-«oOo»-

After Teal’c left the bridge a small smile graced his features. If he had to guess, he was fairly sure that many in the chain of command would hate O’Neil’s new plan, as it risked exactly what they needed to save the Earth. That O’Neil’s took such risks for his people was the main reason he still followed him.

----------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I had considered having a much longer arc on Amalar than things are looking now. I assume no one is interested in writing that arc..? It would be very nearly original fiction at that point, save for a few characters.
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Extremely sorry for the slow response, when I made my last post I fully expected to be doing a few chapters a day or more... But I'm starting to get back to this after a week from hell... RL played a number on me as I was trying to get into this... including a surprise hospitalization of my mom, whom is now back out...

I should have a number of other chapters done tonight... though I cannot guarantee how many at the moment. I'll either edit this post, or post them as follow up posts...

Chapter 1

As you can can

Missed on my first pass... repeated word

Chapter 2

shamanic magic

'shamanic' I *think* s/b 'shamanistic' or perhaps 'shamanism'

sister's fianc‚.

s/b fiance

was't here

s/b wasn't

Chapter 3

trospection

s/b 'introspection'

"Your're just way too easy,

s/b You're

She very much feared that their would be an accounting one day,

'their' s/b 'there'

-«oOo»-

Note, not really a fan of the scene break used... though realize these days options with FF.NET are limited. You run the risk of it not showing correctly for those whom download as pure text depending upon their text editor.

It has to be really. You don't just get well from that.

I cannot really point out why, but this addition does not really seem to flow right to me when taken into context the surrounding two sentances.

Nabiki was wearing a now spotless cream colored

'a now' s/b 'now a'

Ami frowned, "I'm sorry, okay? Anyway, can't you just use your ki to dry off?"
"It takes too much ki, and I don't have that much to spare now," grumbled Ranma-chan unintentionally pouting.
"Oh," Nabiki replied.
Ranma noticed Mercury

You've tried cleaning this up in some places, but you might have gotten confused here... Ami/Nabiki/Mercury? Which is it really?

Ann Karisen

I always meant to ask, is this person from somewhere, a cameo. or a disposable original character?

Chapter 4

fianc‚es

fiancees

should anyone see through the initial clocking field.

'clocking' s/b 'cloaking'

"Hey, what are you doing?"

This was a separate line before, looks like you merged it with the prior paragraph by accident

I even heard some question if it is really a planet at all!"

I still thought demoting it was the dumbest thing astronomers have done in modern times.

We'd have been lucky not to breech a hull."

'a' s/b 'the'

see it as the effects of the terraforming magtic,

'magtic' s/b 'magic'

Minako lost part of her right right hand.

repeated word

"Nothing more needs be said."

Nice touch on that changed ending.

Chapter 5

spartaness

Reasonably sure not a word. Try 'spartan atmosphere' or something like it.

There seemed little doubt that that pair would stay warm.

repeated word

I noticed the journal entry lines were removed... was that intentional?

What did you figure you would wait till he was weak enough then spirit him off to China?"

after the what, there needs to be some pause, either comma or elipse....

Overall so far glad of the improvements... spelling is improved, some of the names have been corrected, particularly Michiru's name now being correct.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lerris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the editing. I'll update my source files in the new few days and reupload them to fanfiction.net...

Does anyone have any opinions on the last three updated chapters posted here? There were non trivial changes in them. I still need to write and edit the remaining chapters. I'll try to manage a draft of one this weekend, although I try to avoid posting anything without at least some editing, so perhaps next weekend...
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Lerris wrote:Thanks for the editing. I'll update my source files in the new few days and reupload them to fanfiction.net...

Does anyone have any opinions on the last three updated chapters posted here? There were non trivial changes in them. I still need to write and edit the remaining chapters. I'll try to manage a draft of one this weekend, although I try to avoid posting anything without at least some editing, so perhaps next weekend...

You probably are not getting more commentary because you overwrote the existing story and pulled the old chapters.

While understandable, by doing it that way, unless the person had grabbed the existing story off the site beforehand (like I've had for years), they have nothing to compare against and would not know what changed between old and new, particularly the new draft chapters of 13-15.

I'm using a mix of rereading, spellchecker, and a file comparison utility.

Currently I'm in the middle of 7... tentatively my plan is when I get to 10 I'll post another 5 chapter chunk... then the 5 chapters after that.

Uncertain how far I'll get tonight. but will at least post the next chuck before stopping.

I do not want to read those last chapters until I read what came before, as it has been quite some time since I read this and there were a number of plot points hanging.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:54 am

Second batch of comments, 6-10

Chapter 6

\Finace

remove backslash

\Fiances

remove backslash.

Actually... you might want to make a pass through all the chapters just hunting one down and seeing if the occurrences are all correct.

fulfill

fulfil

several were eying Setsuna

eyeing

I'm not sure many of the repairs and patches would hold up under the stress of reentry to an atmosphere as thick as the Earth's.

re-entry

An embarassed Nabiki trailed after him to the sounds of whistles.

embarrassed

\Jubaan

Juban

Chapter 7

she could hardly sell such a book until she had throughly tested out the ideas, now could she?

thoroughly

"How dare that ungrateful whelp deny his master the humble transportation he needs and justly deserves to go free the silky darlings from the women of the universe?"

Maybe Ranma can convince Happosai to help him and Nabiki rescue Kasumi... asumming she still needs rescuing in the revised version of the story.

She thought about this new much kinder, yet still fiercely sharp Nabiki, and realized a simple truth. She had lost. Strangely the thought did not bring as much pain as she thought it would, though it was indeed painful. With a smile she considered her other conclusion. A Tendo had most likely won, and if anything that brought pride to her that she was hard pressed not to bask in. With her new found calm she carefully folded the kimono and placed it in her closet. It seemed more of a final act that she could have ever expected to do today, yet it also seemed fitting. Tomorrow would be a new day. Her family was safe. No one was hounding her for a relationship, save Kuno, and he was manageable. Could she be just a normal high school girl again, if only for a little while? She hoped so.

This one addition completely changes Akane's outlook for future chapters.

The lostness that he felt last night was replaced by something he didn't really understand.

'sense of loss'

"Good, now I think you both may need to see someone to talk about all this."

I understand her sentiment, but this addition makes her seem dumb... she is not factoring the secrets they need to keep.

Chapter 8

Kasumi pulled her little sister into a cautious hug that soon became a full blown one

I find it interesting you reversed whom was the one to initiate the hug... Seems a small thing, but it turned the scene around a bit for me.

I won't ask that that you keep it secret, but I do ask that you read through the related history and consider carefully anything you decide to share with your world."

repeated word

I thought the changes were some reemergence of the the Nabiki I knew years ago.

repeated word

One thing always bugged me about this chapter, though admittedly it is a minor bug. It hindsight at the time it foreshadowed more in the upcoming chapters. A bridge is a very important part of the ship... Usagi and Mamoru may be central to the senshi, but are not central to this ship, that is Ranma.

Chapter 9

Somehow that thought does not bring as much satisfaction as I thought it would." The last was said wryly as she mused that this was much like talking to her birds. Someone asleep could hardly criticize, and besides he was quite cute, well when he was male anyway.

I was surprised to see the above was cut from the new version, was this deliberate?

Setsuna had worked her way closer to Usagi by then. She whispered, "I don't remember any such requirement. For that matter, you never mentioned marriage."
Usagi smiled up at her and whispered back, "Trust me. I have a feeling. They need this, both for the strength now, and for the future." Setsuna looked over her face and nodded. She was the princess after all and this did promise to be entertaining. Still, this kind of thing made her really miss the ability to create quick exits.

A dark possible undertone is that this nicely gives Usagi a control and a leash on the ship even without Ranma's oath of fealty to her. As Nabiki/Ami gave that.

"It worked then. Good."

I will say, this particular portion of the chapter always caused me to cringe... not at the quality, or at the space battle, not at the interaction of Canal and the others. But I very nearly stopped reading this story when it was originally new because of this section. It was not that Usagi was out of character, but it was what she did... She got them more firmly bound in marriage by a soul/slave bond on a far more permanent basis than anything any of the others have done, and she altered them on a fundamental level for her own benefit and slightly deceived them. I truly hated her in this chapter for that.

Mind you, not saying you should change it, but it is how I felt.

Chapter 10

and not out of any fear of the goverment's monitoring

government's

"Something should be possible with your help. We do have all these spare parts just lying around, after all."

A note on this, as it was made in regards to the shuttle. A much better alternative potentially exists. If those ships were what Canal ran into before and the shuttle is from them. Even though the ships are disabled, it is entirely possible there is a intact shuttle out there in a destroyed ships bay. They could have salvaged that instead if it was better, or use it for parts/fuel for the one they have.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:04 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:fiance

test "$Authentic" = "yes" && s/fiance/fiancé/

Lerris wrote:We'd have been lucky not to breech a hull."

s/breech/breach/
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:23 pm

test "$Authentic" = "yes" && s/fiance/fiancé/

Been awhile since I've seen reverse polish style logical notation methods. Or at least a variation of it. Programmed in it for a few years quite some time back when my company inherited a product coded in it... but was glad my company ditched that product.

Spelled correctly or not with or without accent is not the issue, I merely pointed out the starting backslash.

I currently have through 12 read and comments for it... plan to getting to 13-15 sometime later... and posting 11-15 comments in batch after.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lerris » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:38 pm

I had an old php script I cobbled together that takes a format similar to LaTeX and outputs the result. In this case it was suppose to replace \Fiance with the version with the special character. It seems I'll have to hack it a bit more. The script is nice in that I can put in comments that start with % at the start of a line and they are automatically removed from the final output. A standard tex editor recognizes the basic formating as well, so I can keep my notes/comments in a standard format without the overhead/annoyance of something like Word and everything does underlining of misspelled words these days. In my case it is gedit, but notepad++ would likely do it on windows. It also allows me to edit using my preferred off white text on a black background. Of course, it doesn't help that I haven't coded php in years.. I was almost tempted to convert the script to the version of C# that runs on linux, but it was easier to just update it and it doesn't really do that much.. Just basic conversion to html and curly quotes, which fanfiction.net removes anyway. Now if only I could batch submit the update to ff.net. Ah well...

Either way, I'll definitely try to at least get through these edits tomorrow...
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:37 am

It's an incomplete Unix shell (sh, ash, bash) command, actually. I dropped the sed invocation. The '&&' is a conditional chain, letting the following command run if the preceding command finished fault-free.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lerris » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 pm

[1-10 updated on ff.net]

PcHeintz,

Okay, I went through things. I fixed the errors with fiance\juban\etc, but it is possible the special characters are still going to cause you issues when you convert to text. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not it is worth keeping the special characters in words? fiancee /fiance are apparently valid spellings. It's a minor point. Ranma 1/2 is the only genre that uses the term quite so often.

----

As far as the scene divider goes, I still think it has more pluses than minuses. I'd rather not use a line, and an extra space is liable to just be removed upon upload. Stilll, if someone can suggest a better one...

----

Ann Karisen wasn't from anywhere in particular. I wanted a view from the gallery. I originally intended that view to be used in the future a couple times, but I wouldn't expect a major role. Right now I can only see one or two more minor scenes.

------

With regards to the journal entry lines -- I think some of it looked like a duplicate of material already covered, so I removed it.

--------

With regard to the comment on the paragraph starting with, ``She thought about this new much kinder..'' I decided to have Akane grow up a bit, and tried to present a plausible way forward for it. The story really doesn't have time for her to be immature, or rather the plot doesn't really have room for it..

----------

>I understand her sentiment, but this addition makes her ...
--->Revised Version<--
Out in the main living area her mother said quietly, ``I meant what I said. It is only the fact that you came to me as a mother and not as a doctor that stays my hand, but if either of you are harmed or look in danger of being harmed by that lunatic that calls herself his mother or the rest I will go to the police. Understand?''

``I understand mother,'' added Nabiki in a clipped tone.

``Don't you mother me daughter. You of all people should understand the dangers here.'' Then more quietly she asked, ``Are you absolutely sure he is safe? Such stress can be unhealthy at best.''
--
Basically, I removed the line in question, which made Nabiki be slightly upset at being treated like a child. I think that fits.

----------------
With regard to Usagi and Mamoru's positioning on the bridge. I understand the comment, but I'd prefer to keep it as is. It is not that important. Also Usagi is going to be growing up, and she is their leader. She won't be a perfect one, and people may not like how she gains some of her wisdom, but hopefully it remains interesting.
-----------
With regard to the bit where mars thought ranma was cute being cut. I'm don't think it was deliberate.
------
You commented on how Usagi semi tricked them into marriage, and it is a fair comment. She is becomming less the Usagi people know. She is not evil, but she is not above small manipulations for the greater good. She will also risk her life to do what is right. Also note that she didn't technically force anything. Trick yes. Force no.

Later on you mention a soul/slave bond. Usagi never enslaves anyone. Even those that choose to remain bound to her for as long as her current incarnation lives are not slaves. She can't force them to do anything. She can resurrect them when they die if they pledge themselves to her, but that is only for as long as she herself lives. I suppose she can technically choose not to ressurect them, but then that too would end when she herself died. It gets morally questionable, in that they can live for a very long time, but then some things in life are morally questionable. I'm going to try to address some more of it before it is all over. Overall, I tried to make things a little more realistic with some downsides. Yes Usagi is more willing to compromise as she gets older. Leaders do that. She does it less than most, and is more than willing to put her own life on the line for her people.

-----------
Finally, with regards to the fuel state of the shuttle. I simply believe Canal made a mistake and didn't check, and no one else did either. Canal at this point is split into two entities, so she is not at her best. Since later plot depends on it, I really can't change it.
----------

-Lerris
Last edited by Lerris on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Lerris wrote:PcHeintz,

Okay, I went through things. I didn't see anything wrong with the first 'fiance' comment, so left it, but your second makes me think that your possibly losing the special characters when you download to text. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not it is worth keeping the special characters in words? fiancee /fiance are apparently valid spellings. It's a minor point. Ranma 1/2 is the only genre that uses the term quite so often.

Oddly, this was a concern of mine, so when rereading this, I redownloaded 1-12 with FanFictionDownloader.NET, which does maintain the extended characters, and read it in Notepad++, which properly displays them. I actually prefer Helios Textpad, but it is notorious for not liking extended characters, and it is one of its very few long standing flaws.

As such, I have been seeing them fine with the extended character elsewhere... it was *only* the ones I pointed out that were not displaying correctly. I had thought that was due to you missing them or something else....

No matter, if they look correct... leave them.

note I cannot make the same claim to the ones in the forum draft chapters, I just copy/pasted them into a text editor... as such, I'll avoid posting on those in 13-15 even if I see them wrong.

As far as the scene divider goes, I still think it has more pluses than minuses. I'd rather not use a line, and an extra space is liable to just be removed upon upload. Stilll, if someone can suggest a better one...

Meh... keep what works for you.

I've said it before, even if it should apply for comments by any person on any story, any author is free to ignore any comment I make if they so desire... I rarely care enough to keep after them on something unless I'm absolutely convinced they are wrong.

Ann Karisen wasn't from anywhere in particular. I wanted a view from the gallery. I originally intended that view to be used in the future a couple times, but I wouldn't expect a major role. Right now I can only see one or two more minor scenes.

It was mere curiosity.

I got sidelined this last day, so did not completely finish reading... I'm currently in the middle of 13.

Below are comments on 11, and I actually had absolutely nothing in way of corrections on 12. Nothing turned up noteworthy enough by me to comment on, either in a reread, in a binary compare, or a spell checker. A few things the spell checker caught, but a spell checker really is not entirely the best thing to bother with 100% of the time on dialogue.

Chapter 11

She supposed she should be glad it worked at all.

Surprised this was removed.

Perhaps he too had taken a commerical jet, or perhaps Amaterasu helped.

commercial

disorders of of the mind

repeated word

yet her posture and the expression on her face made it obvious that that was all Canal had managed to accomplish

repeated word

phasing back through the the cockpit window.

repeated word

Neptune said dismissively

'dismissively' not a real word... maybe replace with 'dismissing the surprise Kasumi was showing'

I should have 13-15 sometime tonight... or at least 13-14... busy weekend. Which is also why I've not posted my normally weekly update yet.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Here is 13... currently reading 14

Interesting how you completely turned around having gramps awoken and treated by Tofu, and instead are using Frasier.

“Sure, tell me another one. They are all supposed to be young girls.”

Ouch.

“Your in a hurry.”

'Your' s/b either 'You' or 'You're'

“Yes, well, so are you going to help?” asked an impatient Sailor Pluto.

Pluto? openly impatient?

“Sweet! Carter and Daniel are going to be so jealous.”

This might be a goof... until this point, Daniel was not mentioned in the draft chapter, you've used Rodney. Daniel was in the original. I know originally you had changed the SGC, but this does seem more normal.

Alternatively, if they are involved with the program still... then keep it. Though might want to mention when in the timeline this is... the prometheus existing is a good giveaway, but does not really nail it down.

If danger was before his daughter, then he would be a father once more, and pray that the person he thought of as a son would protect his eldest two daughters.

Does he still think of Nabiki as a daughter? I thought one of the key points to that whole scene outside the dojo was because nabiki was not really a Tendo anymore?

“Do you also speak English?” asked Pluto’s guardian.

Guardian?

“Yah, about that. I could maybe um forget about the hack if you were to make copies of anything incriminating on our dear friend the senator.”

Bwahahaha... That alone will make Hammond and Jack their new best friends.

He still was not sure if they had let him go on this little jaunt,

'if' should probably be 'why'

As they drifted off to sleep, a private jet that had taken off almost an hour later than there own, sped past them.

'there' s/b 'their'

but most never really believed that that particular oath was more than ceremony.

repeated word

the energy released during whatever that was was

repeated word

Interesting changes... I stopped using the binary compare about 1/2 way through... the cumulative differences made it more hinderence than help.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Here is 14:

Belldandy thought it odd that he seemed to emphase that particular remark.

Not sure, but should 'emphase' by 'emphasize'?

Rodney had insured her that all the major intelligence agencies already knew who they were and that the Japanese and American governments would continue to protect their identities from wider knowledge.

Even if I were to believe this, I would still assume it to not be the case, why? Because for all intents even if some know, others may not, and why should she trust them on that point?

"Yes your majesty.

It is noteworthy, though expected, that she is addressed as and talks as if she was Serenity, not merely Usagi in princess form. Plutos fears did follow through. Likewise comments in the prior chapter hinted at it.

I failed to stop stop Beryl in the beginning when it would have been far easier.

repeated word

"Wait a minute. I read the intel file on you guys. You just calmly debated whether it would have been worthwhile to blow the Earth away to protect your kingdom back those thousands of years ago?"

I am fully willing to grant the various intelligence agencies may know their civilian identity, even potentially that they are reincarnations, but I have to question *how* they would know about the moon kingdom itself.

Nabiki Mizuno of Mercury?"

it occurs to me, that if the intellegnece agencies *did* have their info... then they must be scratching their heads about Nabiki Mizuno

"Canal Volfield, do you accept me as your Queen? Do you accept the judgment of my court?"

Of everything... it is lines like this that bother me... While her own person, she is basically subject to the will of her captain. This raises several moral dilemmas. Even if she is a independent entity... she has now by her choice limited Ranmas own choices in that he was not made to make a oath to her, but Canal and Mercury both have....

It is probably just me, but the potential ramifications are very troublesome.

I am surprised Jack and/or Teal'c did not say something either, since they had no worries against doing so earlier.

Additional note, ok, I see you did place Jacks thoughts in there after that. Not what I would have expected though.

"Protector Mercury you do not have sufficient authorization to allow external control of all Mercury computing assets and subspace data links by Canal Volfield. Crown level authorization required."

This might be a minor continuity error. Canal had no trouble immersing herself into the mercury computer before.

Canal looked up, tears in her eyes,"To live only as a normal girl is my fondest dream."

I would argue that it is doomed to failure.... The simple fact is except Pluto the others are all reborn in one form or another, and they can hardly be called 'normal'.

Seconds later they were gone as was the eldest daughter of Soun Tendo.

Hmmm... still kidnapped. We will see if this plays out differently.

"Not currently no. Prometheus out,"

Actually, I think that should be Swordbreaker.

Mercury almost never makes mistakes with these things.

I like the disclaimer

She wondered if this was a result of that one time she had been jealous that it was always Akane who got kidnapped.

Watch what wish for, you may get it. Actually, best other kasumi kidnapping to come to mind is in 'Lord Ranma' by Chibi-Reaper.

She she jump back in?

1st 'She' I think s/b 'Should'

cruder leap rail gun shells meant for pure devestation.

'devestation' s/b 'devastation'

Serenity bowed briefly to both both Mercury and Uranus efore turning to Pluto.

2 issues, 'both' repeated and 'efore' missing the 'b'
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lerris » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:40 pm

FYI, I think you originally saw some \ characters since the script I use was incorrect, but anyway, it is fixed now...
--

Sailor Pluto is a little impatient here, as she is concerned about the new threat and concerned that things are spiraling way the heck out of what she can control. Jack was a contingency plan. Her involvement with him was initially because she knew he would be important. He was sort of like a plan D. This Setsuna is also impossibly old and more than a little tired. Losing her planet has not helped.

I tossed out the modified backstory to SG1 since it did not actually help the story. Involving Sg1 was a way of getting them involved with a major government before they _had_ to be involved with a major governement, at least in part. The part where that is required is not written yet. Prometheus also has a role to play...

After Soun's bit of introspection I added

"He regretted trying to force Ranma to marry Akane, but Nabiki had taken another name, and it seemed the only way they had to save their own dream and the dojo was to force the marriage with Akane so they could get the tax write off. He also worried that Nabiki might sell the dojo, but it seemed his petty worries were meaningless now."

Basically, his main motivation was seeing his dream likely die before him...

At any rate 1-12 are now finalized on ff.net, or at least I hope so. Thanks for the editing/corrections. I want to get drafts of everything else finished before I post anything new to ff.net, so i'll hold off updating 13 and the rest. I think I fairly well know how the final chapters will shape up. Now I just need to write them...
Lerris
Senshi Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Stories and C&C