Pretty Monster Sailor Moon

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Pretty Monster Sailor Moon

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Sailor Mars is Crow girl because she likes Crows and has two crow guardians.

That is a rather weak reasoning... I also couldnt figure out how you got Harpy as the other alternative...
Phoenix sounds way better even if it´s probably a bit over the top in power.
There´s also the "Phoenix lite", the Firebird.

How about a hellhound of the firey kind? :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:42 pm

See, this is why Dragon fits Rei better.

Usagi could be a Pantyhose Taro monster... giant thing that can't live a normal life.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:See, this is why Dragon fits Rei better.

True.

Noy Telinú wrote:Usagi could be a Pantyhose Taro monster... giant thing that can't live a normal life.

:shock:

:lol:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey, could be worse... Godzilla. :lol:

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Spica75 wrote:That is a rather weak reasoning... I also couldnt figure out how you got Harpy as the other alternative...
Phoenix sounds way better even if it´s probably a bit over the top in power.
There´s also the "Phoenix lite", the Firebird.

How about a hellhound of the firey kind? :mrgreen:

The real reason is because Rei loves Birds, so a Crow Bird or a Harpy would fit( And a Harpy fits cause is monster bird that looks haft human). I am not doing a Phoenix because unlike dragons, they are supposed to be very powerful even if just born, while I can tone down Usagi dragon power because she isn't hundreds of years old. Not doing the Firebird cause Rei will still have fire powers no matter what monster I use.

Noy Telinú wrote:See, this is why Dragon fits Rei better.

Usagi could be a Pantyhose Taro monster... giant thing that can't live a normal life.

See the topic tittle, the idea is to have cute monster girls, not to make "Pretty Monster Sailor Moon" be something of a joke. Also the idea of making Usagi a dragon comes mostly because Usagi is a pacifist, so I like the contrast. Rei won't be a dragon because I don't want to repeat monster girls.

IIIIIIIII

During season one, all the Senshi did was kill monsters, like youma, the dark generals, Queen Beryl (Their flesh got replaced so they aren't human anymore) and Queen Metalia. Now they been turned into that they fight, monsters. Plus the change won't just be on looks, as monster girls, they would have instincts and needs they didn't have before. Remember the only good non humans the Senshi know are a pair of talking cats, but they learned to associate Monster = Evil.

Sailor Moon= Due to being based both in Western and Asian dragons, she would have the need to have a “loot” and be a warrior. Knowing Usagi, she won't mind that much about the loot part, but having conflicting thoughts about fighting would worry her.

Sailor Mercury= As a Yuki Onna, she would have to avoid men even more than she did before, because if she feels like any guy is indebted to her, she will have the instinct to mate with him or kill him if he refuses. Not the ideal first time she has in mind.

Sailor Mars= Being a temple maiden, she is full of guilt, specially because on how good being a crow girl makes her feel. Before she had natural connection to birds, specialy crows, now... she is almost one of them. But feeling good about having lost her humanity makes her worry. She also tends to associate monster = Evil even more than the others, so she worries about becoming evil and that she isn't fit to be a temple maiden anymore.

Sailor Jupiter= As a Oni, she has to avoid getting drunk at all costs, or she will rape some guy. It doesn't help that as a Oni, she now really loves Sake.

Sailor Venus= While tricking people is fun, she fears being a kitsune will be even a mayor obstacle than being a Senshi to find true love. After all, what man would accept to marry a monster?

Okay, I think I got the basics nailed down to start writing the story... got more ideas, suggestions, criticisms to add?
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Usagi wouldn't be viewed as evil unless her deeds can be described as such, because dragons are generally auspicious creatures in Japan, as well as in other Asian countries.

Would Ami even be able to be present during most of the year? O_o

Why would a miko have guilt? That's news to me. I'd also say that such an attitude wouldn't be compatible with Rei's personality.

Not even going to touch Makoto.

As for Venus: if these are cute monster girls we're talking about, obviously you don't understand the Japanese culture of today very well. A lot of guys dig tails and ears, and probably wouldn't mind paws as well.

As for criticism: the pros and cons of what they become are rather unbalanced, and the concept in general seems to be based more on convenience and personal taste rather than uniformity and logic.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Is not about Usagi becoming evil, is about her being a pacifist and dragons being warriors. is the clash of two different ideologies, a warrior would have no problem to kill its enemy, Usagi only reluctantly kills her enemies and always tries to befriend them.

Ami would have to use her brains in her relationship with males, to make sure to counter any favours she gives with favours she is given. Mostly it would involve never inviting a guy to her home, and not going on dates, not like she did that before, but before it was by choice.

Rei felts guilty because before becoming a Senshi she wasn’t a people person, and now she is back to being more comfortable with birds than with people. Also by her previous experience, a human becoming a monster is a bad thing.

Yes Makoto loving sake gives an idea on how the ranting of this story will go.

Venus view of "I won't be accepted because I am a kitsune" is of course wrong. But seeing as she also saw being a magical girl playing against her finding love, is goes with the way she thinks. Besides that will be her view at the start of the story, and when pointed out that there sure are guys that would want to marry a cute fox girl, she would say something like "I don't want to marry a pervert!". Then of course there would be the point that she wants to be an idol singer, and since idol singers wear cute costumes being a kitsune could work to her advantage.

The basic plot is "Girl tries to trick magical artifact to get what she wants, it backfires" If the Silver Crystal can do time travel, the fact that it could do something as minor as to turn the Senshi into monster girls doesn’t seem that weird. Usagi did try "to have the cake and eat it (too)" after all. In the live action series, every time Usagi used the Silver Crystal it also increased the power of Queen Metalia. In this fanfic, the Silver Crystal requires a sacrifice if you want to use it for something big, since Usagi didn’t sacrifice her life for real, the crystal took hers and the Senshi humanity away instead. Also since there wasn’t a human sacrifice, The Senshi will have to keep fighting evil instead of having a normal life like Usagi wanted.

My point of view when writing is just take an idea I like and try to make it work. There is a limit on how much logic can you use in a story that involves magic, reality warping artifacts and eldric abominations. (And yes Pharaoh 90 was an eldric abomination, the anime just toned it down, just take a look at the daimons in the manga). It also justifies why Sailor Moon and her friends have to keep fighting evil even after Queen Metalia defeat, is part of Usagi's punishment. Someone like Usagi would take her friends being punished by something she did worse than her own punishment, that’s the reason Usagi isn't the only "pretty monster" in the story.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Usagi is a terrible pacifist. >_>

Anyway... Rei likes crows because its an Odin joke... I think. :\

Ami... that ok, fine.

I'm unsure about V... that seems stupid for her, she would be more likely to find someone, unless you're saying she'll confuse things. As fr pervert? That's hypercritical.

I see... plot is to punish Usagi for using the game breaker crystal... oh well, hope you make it work...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:50 pm

At least in the anime, the only reasons Usagi became Sailor Moon is because she was forced to and because it was kind of cool, I am taking her being a cry baby as her not wanting to fight. She would have been a real pacifist if she didn't become Sailor Moon, maybe. Also, who would have seen season one Usagi as a dragon? Besides, it could lead to some hilarious moments with the villains.

???: Daimon, attack Sailor moon!
Daimon: How about no?
???: What? Are you refusing my orders?
Daimon: She is freaking dragon who just roasted a mailbox with a SNEEZE, what do you think?

And yes I know about the Odin joke,

In the anime, V is as dumb as Usagi, of course she would whine and complain about being a kitsune, it would be very out of character if she didn't. Maybe I could do some deconstruction to explain why anime V is dumber than manga Sailor V. She acts Usagi like instead of a leader as to force Usagi to become the leader she is supposed to be. So that would make her being a kitsune fit her even more.

And yes, using the game breaker crystal does have consequences... at least in my story. That would make the search of the holy grail even more important, as they can't trust the power of the silver crystal. There is also the chance that the Holy Grail could "cure" them of being monster girls, since unlike the Silver Crystal it seems more reliable and made for fighting evil.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 pm

In the anime, V is as dumb as Usagi

Actually i would say that neither is dumb. Even if they mostly, especially Usagi, doesn´t show off much brains, MOST of the time.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Maximara » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 am

Blackcat101 wrote:I am not doing giant monsters, so at least it won't be like Kaiju Moon.

The reason of the transformation is that always bugged me that Queen Serenity had to die to use the Silver Crystal at full power, and Sailor Moon used it with no ill effects. She just sealed the youma away, revived the Senshi and sent them six months in the past with no memories. She technically didn't make any sacrifice...

No Sailor Pluto or the outers Involved, I want to limit the number of characters. and yes there will be a Hotaru Tomoe, but she won't be a Senshi. Lets say is an AU, besides it solves the problem than in ancient times the outer planets weren't know. The reason there won't be outers is because Queen Serenity didn't expand her empire that far away from Earth, so those planets weren't colonized.

Problem is that given that the Moon Kingdom is beyond a Type I civilization on the Kardashev scale (TL 10 on the GURPS 4e RPG scale ; we are Type 0.7 and TL7-8 respectively for reference), it is pretty hard to justify NOT going out to Uranus (and beyond) when you are at that Tech Level. After Beryl the Sailor Senshi's foes get into Star Trek and Star Wars TLs 9 to 11 depending on what you are looking at with the main reason the Sensei winning is their foes are tactical idiots.

Furthermore, even if you limit yourself to Jupiter you have its satellites where at least four are bigger then Earth's moon...so where are their Sailor Senshi?

Before you go into the old "its magic" song an dance let me introduce to Clarke's and Niven's Laws:

Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced or different technology is indistinguishable from magic
Niven's Law: Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology.

I should mention that Jupiter is an outer planet so why Sailor Jupiter is classified as an inner senshi is beyond me.
Maximara
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 am

Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced or different technology is indistinguishable from magic
Niven's Law: Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Both claims are false.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby XofderXofder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 am

Spica75 wrote:Both claims are false.

Not necessarily, it depends on how you define magic and technology really. If you define magic as something that is incomprehensible and defies all known natural laws then it's possible to conclude that it follows its own natural laws that we are simply unaware of yet. So with research it'd be possible to find these laws and therefore 'define' magic. So now the once incomprehensible is completely understandable even if it follows its own strange rules. Of course with the understanding of a previous unknown element would come with the natural want to use such a thing for one's own benefit. This could be defined as technology. Take crude oil for example. It's a thick black liquid yet from it we can derive all manner of things from plastics to electricity. It's the same basic principal just using 'mana' or whatever other magical element you want instead of oil.

Then the other thing is something that's called magic. Something that's a known method and is termed magic (such as a summoning circle or the like). There's nothing incorrect about that either and it would be incorrect to call it technology also. The reason is because this time the magic has been defined differently. It's more like that's what the method was named. It's like asking why's a table called a table (I know there's probably some reason but you get what I mean). You wouldn't call a table a chair because it's not, at least not to you.

Those laws aren't really laws to be honest, they're more like ideas I think. Anyways magic and technology are just words they don't change the thing itself all they change is how you perceive it. That's why some people like to call magic technology sometimes. It's like comparing fantasy to sci-fi. Both have unexplainable things but you'd never confuse the two because of the way they approach it.

Damn this is hard to explain :| . I think what I'm trying to say is that some people like to view it as 'technology'(rational, logical and such) while others prefer it as 'magic' (irrational, unexplainable).

It has a bearing on how you write a story and how the reader interprets your 'magic' as it were but that's it really.

I think I might have confused myself and I'm not really sure why I'm writing this. I've forgotten my original reason.

Oh well! :mrgreen:

(On a side note I'm pretty sure magic is the only real explainable reason for some of the stuff in Sailor Moon, I mean have you seen their costumes. It's also way more fun than saying it's technology)
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 pm

I think I might have confused myself and I'm not really sure why I'm writing this. I've forgotten my original reason.

Oh well!

:mrgreen:

Not necessarily, it depends on how you define magic and technology really. If you define magic as something that is incomprehensible and defies all known natural laws then it's possible to conclude that it follows its own natural laws that we are simply unaware of yet. So with research it'd be possible to find these laws and therefore 'define' magic.

Sure, but what if the only thing you find is that it does NOT follow any definable laws?

Those "laws" make the unwarranted assumption that there is a clearly definable background that does not break laws of physics and the like.

This could be defined as technology.

Technology is basically something that isn´t biology. Something you can create to reliably provide a specific and predictable result.

It's the same basic principal just using 'mana' or whatever other magical element you want instead of oil.

Oil is manipulated using chemistry or technology. Try extracting the energy out of oil by looking at it and you will probably be rather disappointed. Try to make plastics from it without using a catalyst or technology and well, disappointed again.
Manipulating mana with technology or chemistry might very well work, but those are not required.

Those laws aren't really laws to be honest, they're more like ideas I think.

Exactly, not even their creators or biggest proponents claim them to be undisputable laws. Which is why i think it´s so darn annoying when some people(not you) throw them around as absolute laws that trumps anything. I´ve noticed it especially on the Spacebattles forum, where magic and tech are discussed by many as if magic cant NOT be technologically feesible, or that technology WILL by default be able to "be" magic as soon as it ´s advanced enough.

Anyways magic and technology are just words they don't change the thing itself all they change is how you perceive it. That's why some people like to call magic technology sometimes. It's like comparing fantasy to sci-fi. Both have unexplainable things but you'd never confuse the two because of the way they approach it.

Tech is what can effectively do by working one or several crafts.
Magic is what does things beyond what should be possible with the tools or resources at hand.

Damn this is hard to explain

No kidding...

I think what I'm trying to say is that some people like to view it as 'technology'(rational, logical and such) while others prefer it as 'magic' (irrational, unexplainable).

But that is a flawed way of thinking. Because magic could very well be rational and logical and still be impossible to replicate equally through technology.
For example, if someone makes a pen hover above ground by thinking it, and they produce this effect in a totally predictable way, then by that thinking it should be technology. And i just simply cannot apply that definition to such an event.
Technology is if you´re using a robotic hand to lift it by remote control. Or use a stick with a grabbing claw.

Or take the magic system used in the Spellsong Cycle books, that magic is 100% predictable, but calling it technology would be utterly laughable.

Etc etc...

If people doesn´t want magic to be real, than they probably shouldn´t write stories about magic.

(On a side note I'm pretty sure magic is the only real explainable reason for some of the stuff in Sailor Moon, I mean have you seen their costumes. It's also way more fun than saying it's technology)

:mrgreen:

Yeah, but there it´s ALSO magitech. And in Nanoha magitech is even the dominant technology, but the base magic is still very much NOT technology, but it can be exploited with tech.

Ok, did i manage to be coherent and make sense? :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby XofderXofder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm

That sounded pretty coherent to me. :D

So you'd define magic as something that by all rights should be impossible but somehow it is, something that while it can be replicated by technology doesn't require any resources or tools. I can see where you're coming from.

Sure, but what if the only thing you find is that it does NOT follow any definable laws?

If it follows patterns then most likely it has some kind of laws even if they don't comply with our regular ones. Whether it breaks the laws of physics doesn't stop you from researching how it does that. Even if it follows no definable law and is chaotic and erratic, to be of use it must follow some measure of order no matter how small. Admittedly researching and testing it would be difficult as hell but not impossible. Not that you'd get very far with it either at the end of hours of research and study you might find that when thinking a certain way the pencil you're floating with magic moved differently or interacted with the environment differently also. It'd be a very slow process with not a lot of gain but the original magic had to come from somewhere so perhaps tirelessly working on it might net some results. While it wouldn't be defined as normal it'd still be defined in someway in its own terms a thoughts. While incomprehensible to most it'd make perfect sense to the researcher. Magic would simply bring about a different way of thinking.

But that is a flawed way of thinking. Because magic could very well be rational and logical and still be impossible to replicate equally through technology.
For example, if someone makes a pen hover above ground by thinking it, and they produce this effect in a totally predictable way, then by that thinking it should be technology. And i just simply cannot apply that definition to such an event.
Technology is if you´re using a robotic hand to lift it by remote control. Or use a stick with a grabbing claw.

You're right. I'd like to revise my statement and say that magic is more mysterious and unexplainable rather than irrational. That's what I was trying to say. It has a different feel compared to technology in stories. It doesn't feel as grounded and is far more fluid in its workings. At least that's what I get when I read stories. It's not that everything rational gets labeled as technology but it's the illogical and irrational parts of these events that make them magic. If that person had nothing on them, no tools or resources, they are able to float a pen in a completely logical and predictable fashion but what makes it magic and not technology is how they were able to do it at all in the first place. By our natural laws it shouldn't have happened just because that person willed the pencil to float, but because of magic it did. That's the irrational and illogical part of it. Not the fact that it can happen in a perfectly logical action but the fact that it happened at all. That's the brilliant thing about magic it doesn't obey the rules and you can do anything you want with it. Unless of course the writer of the story imposes rules.

I think an analogy would be that technology is like being very skilled at a video game and achieving great things in it while still following the rules whereas magic is like hacking the coding of the game itself. Both require skill to do but approach the same goals differently. I reiterate : This is damn hard to explain.

Yeah, but there it´s ALSO magitech. And in Nanoha magitech is even the dominant technology, but the base magic is still very much NOT technology, but it can be exploited with tech.

My brain is fried just think about the two separately, logically it should make sense I guess. After all magic supplies the mass and energy conversions that would normally be impossible while the technology focuses and directs the intent and function. In theory at least. Depends on the kind of magic you got and how it interacts with the environment.

You gotta love how we're actually debating magical theory. :mrgreen:
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes