Ranma Master of Sensha-dou

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma Master of Sensha-dou

Postby LunaInverse » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:49 pm

So I was watching the anime 'Girls Und Panzer' and I was thinking why has no one written a fanfic about Ranma being a Sensha-dou.

For those who don't know Sensha-dou is the martial arts of TANKS!

So should I attempt to write it? ideas for help writing it?

Also has anyone heard of this being written already? if so links please!
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Re: Ranma Master of Sensha-dou

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:02 pm

I haven't seen a crossover with this series, yet. While I've only watched a few episodes of the anime (and I think a few chapters of the manga), more due to distractions and other priorities than losing interest, I would be interested in reading such a story.

The first idea that comes to mind is kind of amusing to me: being that the military is still traditionally masculine when it comes to front-line fighting (such as with tanks), and thus inherently manly, due to this or that event Ranma uses that knowledge to prove to his mother that being a girl itself isn't unmanly (even though, technically, being a girl is girly ;p) if they are allowed to operate tanks and can do so competently, because he wants to stop his mother from automatically assuming that he's doing something unmanly as a girl, and to at least give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, someone (like Nabiki, but not necessarily her) openly challenges him to prove it.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:33 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I haven't seen a crossover with this series, yet. While I've only watched a few episodes of the anime (and I think a few chapters of the manga), more due to distractions and other priorities than losing interest, I would be interested in reading such a story.

The first idea that comes to mind is kind of amusing to me: being that the military is still traditionally masculine when it comes to front-line fighting (such as with tanks), and thus inherently manly, due to this or that event Ranma uses that knowledge to prove to his mother that being a girl itself isn't unmanly (even though, technically, being a girl is girly ;p) if they are allowed to operate tanks and can do so competently, because he wants to stop his mother from automatically assuming that he's doing something unmanly as a girl, and to at least give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, someone (like Nabiki, but not necessarily her) openly challenges him to prove it.

That premise doesn't really work, mostly because within the premise of Girls Und Panzer, much like certain martial arts like naginatajutsu are (for historical reasons) considered feminine pursuits, in this world sensha-do (alternatively translated as Tankery, or riffing off the quasi-German series title, Panzerkraft) is included in that list. While male characters are shown in organizing the competitions, the participants themselves are all female.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:01 am

Girls und Panzer is absolutely stuffed with Chekov's guns, and delights in shooting them -- only to reveal they're loaded with blanks. I should detest the show, but they do it so well (especially the music) that I like it instead.

It would be Ranma's luck just to deal with the one Chekov that actually loaded his gun properly.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Knight of L-sama wrote:That premise doesn't really work, mostly because within the premise of Girls Und Panzer, much like certain martial arts like naginatajutsu are (for historical reasons) considered feminine pursuits, in this world sensha-do (alternatively translated as Tankery, or riffing off the quasi-German series title, Panzerkraft) is included in that list. While male characters are shown in organizing the competitions, the participants themselves are all female.

I think it could. Not just because there are two universes to fit together, but because it's not so simple in either martial arts or the military. Not just because they have their own nuances and distinct differences, but because there are more spheres of perception beyond them -- the outsiders looking in, for example. Depending on the time and place, even something traditionally seen as one thing can be attributed toward another. (For instance, a modern person among the same peer group, or even a generation after, seeing a girl doing a traditional martial art for females and believing her to be a tomboy. Sometimes the lack of notional cohesion can be rather silly, as in the case of who cooks and eats what in America, and where and why, based on and around gender. Which is hopefully just a work in progress that sorts itself out in a reasonable fashion.)

I won't say that the idea that I proposed can work without a doubt, but I wouldn't want unnecessary restrictions getting in the way of perceiving other possibilities, by approaching the subject with too narrow a view. Subjects like this can be rather complex and far-reaching, to some degree or another.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

I've read one a long time back dealing with Ranma and tanks in a wierd land, but it was not that series but something else... There was something really wierd about the fuel for the tanks, as it set off his ki senses and he was able to work with and manipulate it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Was it a crossover with Valkyria Chronicles (Ragnite), possibly?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 am

It might have been... but I've seen the Valkyria Chronicles Anime, and I know it was not the series... BUT the anime and other media had differing plotlines, since I never saw the original storyline I can't tell.

I do not have it downloaded, it was something I remember reading in passing... it had several chapters. Ranma ended in a different land, can't remember how, did not speak the language, Ki was acting odd, but ha managed to stop a invasion/raid of a small farm house or other isolated property in the forest... helped family or group of people leave and stayed behind until could figure things out... there was a abandoned tank on or behind the property and he played with the fuel in it, because it reacted with his ki. Somehow, a larger invasion force found him and attacked, this force seemed somehow better prepared for him, I think they had a method of detecting things *LIKE* Ranma but not Ranma specifically... Ranma mostly devistated them anyway, but was seriously injured and captured (something happened with the one arm)... the guy whom did so wanted to know how he was doing what he managed to do so kept him prisoner. Ranma was somewhat recovering but oddly due to the way the land was affecting him.

This was years ago I read this, and I may be off on some points, but that was all I can recall... whether it was continued, or name or author, could not say.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 am

This was the story I was thinking about.

I only knew Valkyria Chronicles from the video game.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes