Combining Uniforms - 2.0

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Re: Combining Uniforms - 2.0

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Lioconvoy wrote:War Doctor isn't 8.5 he's the true 9. It's just because he didn't call himself "The Doctor", the Doctor himself doesn't consider him 9.

True enough - but do you like the drawing? did the link to the larger line up work for you? It doesn't seem to in some browsers.

Té Rowan wrote:Aside: I just measured, and filled to the brim, the mug takes 0.4 litres, which makes it roughly ten to the US gallon and eleven to the UK gallon.
Like my friend's - that's a good sized mug.
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby talonhunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:08 am

J. St.C. Patrick wrote:Senshi Megurine Luka Ranma

and animal advisor

Love the way she turned out here, and for not knowing the source material til you looked it up, I say particularly well done...=^_^=
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:23 am

Is anyone else seriously creeped out by that head with octopus tentacles?
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I'll second that Larry. (Actually I already did when I commented ;p)
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby lwf58 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:34 pm

That would have been before I rejoined the conversation. I'd never seen this before, much less any responses to it.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 am

Thanks for the comments,

Yes, I was a bit creeped out by the mascot ( especially as i had to decapitate Ranma to create it).

Here's a reposting of the Senshi Who collection - with a wording change suggested by a friend:

Link to larger version: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jstcpatrick/SENSHISERAWHO30pc.png

Link to even larger version:http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jstcpatrick/SENSHISERAWHO50pc.png

Let me know if the links don't work or if the second linked image is not larger than the first linked.
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40 am

A new Senshi

Scene: London, that great cesspool into which all the Youma of the Empire are irresistibly drained.

And who faces down these creatures that the local constabulary cannot handle?

Senshi Sherlock Ranma

Come, Moon, the Youma is afoot!
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Spica75 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:38 am

lwf58 wrote:Is anyone else seriously creeped out by that head with octopus tentacles?

Aaww, but it´s cute, right? :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Hate to say it, but this is not one of your most inspired outfits.

Starting from the top, the hat is not well rendered. First off, the fore and aft bills are too narrow; they should meet up with the ear flaps. The ear flaps themselves are too wide; they should only be wide enough to fully cover the ears. Here's a page with several good pictures of Deerstalker caps being worn.

Even more than the magnifying glass, Sherlock was known for his Baskerville pipe, and there isn't one in this drawing.

Next, the typical Sherlock Holmes outerwear is the double layered Inverness cape, which this figure doesn't have at all.

Then there is no variation of color or pattern between the ribbon bows and bodysuit, or the suit and skirt. This is atypical of anything you've done before. The tights also shouldn't be the same pattern as the upper body, although there is at least a minor color variation on them. It'd be better if they weren't patterned at all.

Fortunately, most of it's easy fixes, and I think you did a great job on the hounds-tooth patterning.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 am

Thanks for the comments

Interesting fact about the curved pipe is that it became associated with Sherlock Holmes because one of the early actors portraying him decided to use that style so his face would not be obscured.

The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Lioconvoy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 am

If I recall correctly the Deerstalker comes from the Television versions as well not the original books.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 am

The books didn't give have much in the way of pictures, so it's only natural that portrayals in movies and on TV would shape how we think of him today. That's okay, though. It's a normal process that characters evolve when brought to life by actors. How many people can picture the characters of Harry Potter without the movie actors coming to mind anymore?

The changes to this rendition of Ranma make it look much better. And I do like the one with the pipe more than the one with the magnifier. ^_^

The only change I'd suggest now would be to make the boots and gloves the same color as the bows to tie it all together.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Very nice. But she needs a Mau advisor called Watson.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks for the comments

Lioconvoy wrote:If I recall correctly the Deerstalker comes from the Television versions as well not the original books.

lwf58 wrote:The books didn't give have much in the way of pictures, so it's only natural that portrayals in movies and on TV would shape how we think of him today.

Actually the Deerstalker came from the illustrations made by Sidney Paget for the original publications in The Strand magazine.

Wikipedia wrote:Paget is also credited with giving the first deerstalker cap and Inverness cape to Holmes, details that were never mentioned in Arthur Conan Doyle's writing. The cap and coat first appear in an illustration for "The Boscombe Valley Mystery" in 1891 and reappear in "The Adventure of Silver Blaze" in 1893. They also appear in a few illustrations from The Return of Sherlock Holmes. (The curved pipe was added by the stage actor William Gillette.)

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Paget

Link Paget Illustrationshttp://ignisart.com/camdenhouse/gallery/1-paget.htm

Link Paget Illustraions in The Boscombe Valley Mystery showing Holmes in Deerstalker and Inverness cape: http://ignisart.com/camdenhouse/canon/bosc.htm

lwf58 wrote:The only change I'd suggest now would be to make the boots and gloves the same color as the bows to tie it all together.

Dumbledork wrote:Very nice. But she needs a Mau advisor called Watson.

The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby lwf58 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 am

LOL. That cat...! Have to say, the cat does add the finishing touch. I think you're done with this one.
lwf58
Site Master

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art