The nature of Silver Crystal

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

The nature of Silver Crystal

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm

In short: I completed reading the manga, and I think our fellow authors
should know this:
1.) Ginzuisho is a part of natural order. It is probably as old as
Universe itself (there is a confirmed fact that it is older than our
Solar System). If we assume it was created, then most probably by
Allmighty himself.
2.) Ginzuisho is just a non-standard, very powerful, sailor crystal
(these are very common things in this galaxy). A sailor crystal is just
a very powerful star crystal (star seed in anime), allowing to link to
a planet. Linking is performed when someone becomes a Senshi first
time. There are beings who has a sailor crystal but isn't a Senshi (not
linked to a planet). These include: Luna, Artemis, Diana, Phobos,
Deimos (all from other star systems that didn't need so many Senshi).
Reference in the anime: Episode 193. Sailor Tin Nyanko rips out Usagi's Star Seed. And what do you think emerges then?.. Of course, our old pal Ginzuisho! (in its "crystal flower" form). The baddies immediately call it "Supreme star seed".
3.) The Senshi are a part of natural order. They aren't a result of
some technomagic research. They are born natural way throughout entire
Galaxy.
4.) Tsukino Usagi is a manifestation of Silver Crystal. Without it she
wouldn't exist. Her soul is linked to it, not to her body (same for any
Senshi). Since the sailor crystals are ethernal and indestructible, it
allows them to reincarnate again and again.
5.) Ginzuisho is not a material object. It can be carried by the
spirits of the dead.
This was done by the spirit of Hotaru (when her body was occupied by Mistress 9) and the spirit of Queen Serenity (when she gave her power to Serenity Jr's Star Crystal)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Adyen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:03 am

I think I'll contest those 'facts'.
1) I've read the manga in one of its closest translation (Chinese), and I've seen no mention of the fact how the Ginzuishou was created. If it can be broken up into pieces, I do not think that it is 'part of natural order' at all.
2) A 'star seed' is a generic term that's used to describe something Galaxia or her henchwomen pulls out from any being. The simple fact that Usagi can transform into Sailormoon in the first series is DIRECT proof against this.
Also, if the Ginzuishou is a Sailor Crystal, then it would be Serenity's (older) soul, and not Usagi (Serenity-Younger) who'd be the main character. You said it yourself - A Sailor Crystal is eternal and will continue to reincarnate itself.
However, a Sailor Crystal is pretty much a more powerful star seed, one that means they can transform into a Sailor-senshi.
By SS, the Ginzuishou has merged with Usagi's Star-Seed (something that happened to Chibi-Usa's as well, as shown during the time when Mistress 9 stole the Ginzuishou from her during the manga), so there is no difference between the two.
3) Agreed.
4) I'll agree to this.
5) Ummm... I can't DIRECTLY refute this, but I think it's more of the fact that Ginzuishou can be manipulated by a spirit than it's not material. Especially in the manga when it grows to protect Usagi/Mamoru in book 3-4 (I think it was those two books...)
Of course, just because canon is like this doesn't mean we don't write fanfics about other stuff. AUs are rather popular, you know.
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:49 am

and I've seen no mention of the fact how the Ginzuishou was created.

True. That's why I said "probably". But it being older the Solar System (4.500.000.000 years) is a fact.
If it can be broken up into pieces, I do not think that it is 'part of natural order' at all.

Inconsistence of the Anime series is also a widely known fact. You can hardly base on something that contradicts itself a big time. The manga, on the other hand, is mostly free of such problems. And, being the basis for the anime, has more credibility.
2) A 'star seed' is a generic term that's used to describe something Galaxia or her henchwomen pulls out from any being.

The "star seed" corresponds the "sailor crystal" even in its shape.
The simple fact that Usagi can transform into Sailormoon in the first series is DIRECT proof against this.

See above.
The anime directors invented the "rainbow crystals" while they didn't knew the truth themselves. In the original, the Silver Crystal was *always* in her and then gained a material form from her teardrop.
Write it off as a storyline bug. same as the Inners entering High Shcool in the "Stars" season instead the "SuperS" season.
Also, if the Ginzuishou is a Sailor Crystal, then it would be Serenity's (older) soul, and not Usagi (Serenity-Younger) who'd be the main character. You said it yourself - A Sailor Crystal is eternal and will continue to reincarnate itself.

These are different things.
The personality is carried by the soul.
The life force and power is carried by the star crystal.
The soul is linked to the star crystal which is in turn linked to the body (or represents its life force?).
Thus, reincarnating is possible because Senshi's souls are linked to their sailor crystals and thus bound to this plane of existence.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 am

The spirit (read: soul) of Serenity-older brought the Silver Crystal along with the Serenity-younger's star crystal into the Galactic Cauldron and then did *something* (here I don't trust the English translation too much to be sure what exactly she did) and doing so gave the power to her. Obviously, losing her chance to reincarnate in the process - that's why we don't hear of the Serenity-older anymore. No more a Senshi, he went the way all human souls go after death. We may speculate she lived too long and was too tired to go on.
To think of it, the fate of any Senshi is incomfortably alike to the curse of ethernal life.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Lightspire » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:01 am

Cheb wrote:The spirit (read: soul) of Serenity-older brought the Silver Crystal along with the Serenity-younger's star crystal into the Galactic Cauldron and then did *something* (here I don't trust the English translation too much to be sure what exactly she did) and doing so gave the power to her. Obviously, losing her chance to reincarnate in the process - that's why we don't hear of the Serenity-older anymore. No more a Senshi, he went the way all human souls go after death. We may speculate she lived too long and was too tired to go on.
To think of it, the fate of any Senshi is incomfortably alike to the curse of ethernal life.

That's a good explanation. It would also explain why Serenity occasionally shows up... Perhaps a shadow of her soul remaining in the crystal... kinda like guinan in the Nexus...(sorry, Star Trek reference...)
There once was a boy who turned into a girl,
his fiancee's cooking always made him hurl.
Instead of eating one day, he tried to throw it away, and now he has a bird's eye view of the world.
Lightspire
Senshi Cadet

Postby Adyen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:36 pm

That's rather insidious... Serenity(O) is living vicariously through Serenity(Y). Maybe that's why the Neo-Queen is so different from Usagi (even though she's still impulsive and such... Heh.)
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Adyen wrote:That's rather insidious... Serenity(O) is living vicariously through Serenity(Y). Maybe that's why the Neo-Queen is so different from Usagi (even though she's still impulsive and such... Heh.)
The silver crystal seems to act on it's own at times as if it has a mind of it's own. It seems to act to protect Moon and Chibi-Moon.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:18 am

Cheb wrote:
and I've seen no mention of the fact how the Ginzuishou was created.

True. That's why I said "probably". But it being older the Solar System (4.500.000.000 years) is a fact.
If it can be broken up into pieces, I do not think that it is 'part of natural order' at all.

Inconsistence of the Anime series is also a widely known fact. You can hardly base on something that contradicts itself a big time. The manga, on the other hand, is mostly free of such problems. And, being the basis for the anime, has more credibility.
2) A 'star seed' is a generic term that's used to describe something Galaxia or her henchwomen pulls out from any being.

The "star seed" corresponds the "sailor crystal" even in its shape.
The simple fact that Usagi can transform into Sailormoon in the first series is DIRECT proof against this.

See above.
The anime directors invented the "rainbow crystals" while they didn't knew the truth themselves. In the original, the Silver Crystal was *always* in her and then gained a material form from her teardrop.
Write it off as a storyline bug. same as the Inners entering High Shcool in the "Stars" season instead the "SuperS" season.
I think people are forgetting that the anime and manga are to very different canons. What the Ginzuishou is should differ at least a little from anime to manga. The to stories are to different.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am

More new info. I found this article, "The Star Seed of the Moon" >>
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:50 am

Cheb wrote:More new info. I found this article, "The Star Seed of the Moon" >>
I'm one of those people who disagree with that article. That theory is just to dark for my tastes. It would mean that the Silver crystal is doing to Usagi what Chaos was trying to do to Galaxia.
If that theory was right then explain why did the silver crysal stopped shining in the S anime? Senshi star seeds aren't suppose to ever stop shining.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Innortal » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:01 am

I think we can all agree on at least one fact:
Trying to add logic to an anime like Sailor Moon can only result in a headache. Between the differences in manga and anime, assuming it is only done once, instead of republishing and updating, these universes will never have a stable line of facts.
Even if the author details what she meant for those to mean, we fanfic writers would continue to debate, or offer flaws in that, with scenes that counter what they intended.
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby lade » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:56 am

I have a question, if sailor cosmos wanted usagi to destroy the galaxy cauldron so as to destroy chaos (The chaos star seed), which would have resulted in the end of everything , (bear in mind the galaxy cauldron is the ultimate starseed, even superceding the ginzuishou), if it can be destroyed does that mean sailor crystals can be destroyed? , as they are derived from it, it would assume that they are inferior to it.
lade
Initiate

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm

as to continuity, lets keep this to the Manga for the moment, its a little more consistant then the Anime.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:18 am

WarGiver wrote:as to continuity, lets keep this to the Manga for the moment, its a little more consistant then the Anime.
The anime is consistant as far as the silver crystal is concerned up till season 5(Stars.). Season 5(Stars) ignors major plot points of seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:04 pm

The opposite is probably true, Zwzn.
The director? who did seasons 1-4 got kicked off the staff for deviating to far from the main storyline, escpecially in SuperS, IIRC.
Now who mentioned that? *scratches head*
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon